The official Dopey challenge...who is in?

goofeygirl

DIS Veteran
I didn't see the other post below! I called this official because Disney finally officially called a race Dopey as prior to that the runners did...only now a 10k is added.

For those who have or are signing up...are you runners that have done the Goofy in the past? Or will this be the first time you will do anything like this and never have run a Goofy?

I just did my first Goofy and full marathon in january. I said only half marathons from then on. Then Disney goes and does this. I guess they know their target demographic.

I know what you mean. You did the Goofy in January like I did just so you could say that you did a Goofy challenge at least once in your life. Not too many folks can say that.
I was going to sign up for the Goofy in 2014 but I am now signed up for the Dopey. Why not?

Someday we will be older and unable to do the things we are able to do now. Someday we will be sitting down and thinking about how awesome it was that we went out and did things while we could and not just sat around and talked about them. Do it all while the body can do it.

By the way, I did the Air Force Half too last year! I did like it, didn't love it. I am not doing it again this year.

I ran Donald 2005-2009 and Goofy in 2010-2011. I delivered my beautiful daughter during WDW marathon weekend in January 2012. I hadn't planned on running anything more than a half after having my daughter in 2012. I figured I just wouldn't have the time to train. But then I drove down to Disney to cheer on some friends completing their first Goofy this year. The Goofy running bug bit my tush and then Disney went on to announce the official Dopey. Thanks to an understanding hubby and daughter who loves her BOB, I'm able to race again!

I'm just planning on doing the marathon this year and then trying Dopey in 2015. My mom is really considering the Dopey, but I think she's just going to try to Goofy this year.

Once you get that 'bug' it doesn't go away does it? It just encourages you to go out and go for it.

This year I did the 5k the half and the full of which people were calling the Dopey. So the only difference now next year is the added 10k. Of course it means an extra night in Disney...smart marketing on their part. However if you organize everything NOW than you can book those more reasonable hotels and end up doing very well that way.

My brother and his family that do these races too are still in the 'I am thinking about doing the Dopey' mode. They did the Goofy and were ready to sign up for it for '14. However it looks like there is a much smaller cut off point for the Dopey than the Goofy.

So signing up now is good because when you say to yourself...I don't feel like doing anything' and that feeling goes on for days and days you can come here and remind yourself of your goal in January. 9 mos.

I know what you mean. You did the Goofy in January like I did just so you could say that you did a Goofy challenge at least once in your life. Not too many folks can say that.
I was going to sign up for the Goofy in 2014 but I am now signed up for the Dopey. Why not?

Someday we will be older and unable to do the things we are able to do now. Someday we will be sitting down and thinking about how awesome it was that we went out and did things while we could and not just sat around and talked about them. Do it all while the body can do it.

By the way, I did the Air Force Half too last year! I did like it, didn't love it. I am not doing it again this year.

Im skipping the air force too. I thought it was the most smoothly-ran race ive done though. And it was my fastest half too.

I am in. I did the unofficial dopey last year. Funny after I finished I said it was a once in a lifetime thing.. Hahaha yeah like that is going to happen. I have found in the months after the race I need a race to look forward to. My long term goal is Boston, however I am not there yet. I planned on doing Disney again in 15 but then Disney released the official Dopey and I cannot "not" do it. I love the challenge races..and the race bling!

I'm in. I'll be doing the half this year with my very supportive wife, which will be her first! I figured when we decided to run the half together, this would be a great opportunity to do the Goofy! When I saw the Dopey Challenge come out, how could I resist not signing up for them. This race is so appropriately named!

I'm just planning on doing the marathon this year and then trying Dopey in 2015. My mom is really considering the Dopey, but I think she's just going to try to Goofy this year.

Okay I just reread this...

'but I think she's JUST going to try..Goofy this year'

I remember someone telling me - never put a JUST before anything you plan to do or have accomplished.

I know what you meant though, it just sounds funny to put the word JUST before a Goofy challenge.

I've done a few half marathons (one at Disney) and a full marathon and I REALLY wanted to do Dopey. My husband told me he'd do it too if I wanted to do it. I've been debating it for the last two weeks because we're going to Lake Tahoe for Christmas/New Years and this trip would be less than two weeks after that. I decided to bite the $990 bullet and sign us up until... I got to the final screen with the $35 processing fee. That put such a bad taste in my mouth! I understand active.com has to charge something for their services and I usually pay the $5-$10 I'm charged for every other race I sign up for, but the $70 (for the two of us) fee really, really irritates me. So I've decided against it for now. I know that seems ridiculous when we'll be paying $990, food for 5-6 days, and we want to stay at the Poly for the duration of the trip, but for some reason this is such a road block for me!

I've done a few half marathons (one at Disney) and a full marathon and I REALLY wanted to do Dopey. My husband told me he'd do it too if I wanted to do it. I've been debating it for the last two weeks because we're going to Lake Tahoe for Christmas/New Years and this trip would be less than two weeks after that. I decided to bite the $990 bullet and sign us up until... I got to the final screen with the $35 processing fee. That put such a bad taste in my mouth! I understand active.com has to charge something for their services and I usually pay the $5-$10 I'm charged for every other race I sign up for, but the $70 (for the two of us) fee really, really irritates me. So I've decided against it for now. I know that seems ridiculous when we'll be paying $990, food for 5-6 days, and we want to stay at the Poly for the duration of the trip, but for some reason this is such a road block for me!

You might regret it...for the sake of the $70.00. I do hear you though. Sometimes that little extra bite is enough to turn you away. However the Dopey is well more than half full. I didn't think it would sell out this fast, I knew it would but not this quick!
So really give it a think through...is it the $70.00 or something else?

Last year a friend opted against the Goofy for the same reasons more or less...though he signed up for the half. Sometime later in the summer he had a change of heart but by then the Goofy was long long sold out.

This made me laugh because of the disaster they caused with the Marine Corps Marathon registration. In light of the way they handled the registration, Active decided to donate all of their race fees to a charity benefitting the armed forces. Maybe they're trying to make that back now, LOL.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter