*** The Official August 2019 thread ***

For those who are upgrading to the AP when you arrive - are there other "secret" perks besides the treat at Sunshine Seasons? Or - other favorite AP "swag"?
The best thing to do is ask if they take an AP discount wherever you go. Get into that habit, even if you know a particular place doesn’t take it. Otherwise, you’ll forget to do it, at a place that takes it and you’ll miss out on saving a few bucks.

Hubby and I also have GCs to pay for our meals since we don't have the dining plan and I have some cash and have my credit card linked for mobile ordering some places but we will probably use the debit card for gas on the way to nashville and home again.
The last trip we were down, I bought one of the Swarovski crystal 90th anniversary Mickey gift cards. It's really solid, with a metal backing. I loved using it last trip because almost none of the cast members had seen one before! I'm going to load it up again when we get down there, because it's fun to see their faces when I use it! The only problem is keeping it safe from damage, but it came in a collectors box, so I'll just keep it in my backpack.

I have 8,000 things to do in the 19 days we have left. As usual, I have already overpacked so I need to trim down the suitcases. My biggest struggle on Disney trips is packing all of life's necessities like personal products, make up, sunblock, first aid suplies, meds, Ibuprofen etc, etc. I have many sample sizes, but even so it's a challenge; the girl scout in me must be prepared for every possible situation. :laughing: I have one of those over the door Vera bags, but when it's full of takes up a lot of luggage real estate. I may be better off using all zip locks, and stuffing them in DH's duffel. UGH! Any tips would be appreciated. Bringing the SUV in on Friday for the pre trip inspection / oil change, and two recalls that we were informed about last week! One of the service advisories is a tad alarming; the shift button could pop off preventing the car from shifting gears.:eek: !!! Oh, the joys of travel.
Not sure if this will help but I try to remind myself that there are stores nearby in case of emergency or if I run out of anything. The gift shop has a ton of meds and I've had to buy some before like benadryl and kids tylenol when dd was sick one trip. I know it's not what you want to spend your money on and you don't want to have to run to a Walmart while on vacation BUT it's an option. That keeps my packing in check. If I don't for sure know I'll use it then I try to leave it at home. Now if we were to go out of the country then all bets would be off.

I've learned from past trips to not over pack. I do plan to do laundry once during this trip because I feel like hubby might need a break mid trip so I will use that time to do that. But it's not even just clothes. If its not something I use on a regular basis, then I don't bring it. Obviously you need medicines you take regularly (which for me includes headache meds and allergy meds and my iron for my anemia) and I'll throw in some motion sickness meds, but I won't pack extras I don't normally need. In fact, I only pack what I would normally need for how ever long the trip is and then a couple extra days worth just in case. I figure if I need it I can get ot from first aid or the shops. We of course will also have sunscreen (especially since hubby is red headed and already goes to the dermatologist for precancerous spots). The thing taking up most of the space in my suitcase is my minnie ears, my shoes (I have sneakers, flip flops and another pair of shoes just so I can swap them up regularly, and then my over the door vera bag with all the personal hygiene stuff for hubby and I both (tooth paste, travel shampoo/conditioner/bodywash, q-tips, poop-ourri,, etc)

The last trip we were down, I bought one of the Swarovski crystal 90th anniversary Mickey gift cards. It's really solid, with a metal backing. I loved using it last trip because almost none of the cast members had seen one before! I'm going to load it up again when we get down there, because it's fun to see their faces when I use it! The only problem is keeping it safe from damage, but it came in a collectors box, so I'll just keep it in my backpack.

oh, I bet that is pretty!

As its storming outside, I was thinking about when (IF :) ) it rains in FL. I have pochos, but Im sure my sneakers would get soaked...so thought about bring 2 pairs, but then I remembered the "shoe covers" my mother used to give us when we walked to school in the rain. Havent seen them in years, but they must still be sold somewhere, right?

Went straight to google and typed what we called them 40 years ago. Lets just say bad idea typing "rubbers" into google :rotfl2: I guess Im old !!
My father used to wear those but I can’t remember what they were called

We received an email about our Mitsubishi RVR (kind of an Outlander in the states) where we have 4 recalls on it! One of which involves the moon roof, which is a giant sheet of glass on the top of the vehicle that could apparently fly off at some point. I guess that wouldn't be a good thing!

My daughter graduated high school with a young lady that had that happen to her! I'm not sure what kind of vehicle it was but it was a rand new crossover type vehicle that her parents bought her for her 16th birthday! She was driving down the road with the moon roof open and it just flew off.

I hope you have a great time at the preview. I was really bummed that our vacation doesn't start until 8/24. ;(

On the plus side, we will be staying 7 nights at the WL, our longest trip ever, and we will be celebrating - my retirement - finally, last day of work is 8/22, and DH's recovery from very major surgery last month. :)

Congratulations on your retirement! Hope your DH recovery is going well!

I hope you have a great time at the preview. I was really bummed that our vacation doesn't start until 8/24. ;(

On the plus side, we will be staying 7 nights at the WL, our longest trip ever, and we will be celebrating - my retirement - finally, last day of work is 8/22, and DH's recovery from very major surgery last month. :)

Congratulations on your retirement! Hope your DH recovery is going well!

Thanks, I will have to consider this option. I think the Disney girl inside of me never wants to waste a minute of park time. I need to sign up for 'over packers anonymous'.

I will see you at those meetings. I’m a chronic overpacker to begin with and it doesn’t help that I get free checked bags with JetBlue through their credit card. I resolved to take half my normal packing cubes this time since my partner isn’t coming on this trip, but we’ll see how that turns out.

@angelinaxox YIKES at that crowd! AK is our first park day on our trip next week and we were planning on going to morning EMH and trying to head straight for FOP. Not so sure if I still want to do that now LOL

Hi! Last minute trip for the SWGE AP previews - Aug 16-22 at All Star Movies (yay $74 a night deal on Priceline :D). Add me to the roll call? Also, if anyone wants to cancel a 4 pm ADR for Storybook Dining at Artist Point....send it my way!! :)

Completely unexpected and last minute trip: Grand Floridian Aug 16-19th! Anyone else crazy enough to go to first MNSSHP on 16th? Taking my grandson for first time!
Me! I'm slightly terrified of going to the first MNSSHP but hey, why not? :)

Not sure if this will help but I try to remind myself that there are stores nearby in case of emergency or if I run out of anything. The gift shop has a ton of meds and I've had to buy some before like benadryl and kids tylenol when dd was sick one trip. I know it's not what you want to spend your money on and you don't want to have to run to a Walmart while on vacation BUT it's an option. That keeps my packing in check. If I don't for sure know I'll use it then I try to leave it at home. Now if we were to go out of the country then all bets would be off.

I used to be you. Nowadays, buy regular toiletries at Walmart or Target when we land. I bring my make-up but there is a Sephora at Disney Springs and they do samples for anything I forget.

My daughter and I have been playing "One week from right now...." all day!

One week from right now, we will be at our hotel, probably sleeping!

Tell me what you'll be doing on the 1st Wed of your trip, either 1 week, 2 weeks, 3 weeks, 4 weeks from right now!
One week from now at this time, we'll be eating supper at the Crystal Palace!

And two weeks from now at this time, we have a Living with the Land fastpass!
1 week from right now we will be in the MK, probably in line for something. Or eating a Dole Whip!

1 week from now we'll be at the MK too! We're also at Crystal Palace for a 7:00pm dinner:-) See you at Crystal Palace
@Shir Kahn We also have FP's for Splash, Space and Big Thunder!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter