• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

*** The Official 2014 - DLR -July Thread ***(We All Have Been There & Back Home)

We are home after a fantastic trip!! 2 and a half days of my eyes darting around and counting to 8 and one day counting to 10--that's a lot of people to track! But we made it. Tired feet and exhausted from walking and heat, but all worth it!

My surprise/bonus moments:

exiting Peter Pan and immediately spotting my childhood friend (kindergarten-5th grade) entering through the exit. I knew they'd be at the park, but did not foresee running into them like this!

DH's aunt/uncle drove from Sonoma to join us on Friday at both parks. We knew this was happening, but not that they wanted to take us to lunch at Blue Bayou!!!!!! Uncle was a consultant during the development of DCA, so was fun to get some trivia/inside info from him as well.

I'm not sure if another Disneyland trip is in our future. And not sure that I would choose to go in the summer again. But what a great time!

For those of you celebrating a birthday---get your button right away and wear it every day you are in the park!! DH got his on Tuesday afternoon (while nieces got 1st Time buttons) and was told by the CM to wear it even though his actual bday wasn't until Friday. She said you're celebrating the whole time! He never got tired of CMs and other guests telling him happy birthday. And he LOVED doing the same for others. How much he enjoyed this came as a pleasant surprise to him.

Thank you to everyone on this happy July thread!

Glad to hear Bob and company have arrived safely!

I'd like to ask a favor of those of you who have already returned from your July trips. Many of us are taking our first DLR trips and have read lots of great tips and advice here on the DL board. I'm hoping you will take a moment to share any tips that you thought were especially helpful, or any new tips you learned on your own while there. This would be very useful to those of us still awaiting our magical trips. Thanks in advance!!!

We are here and in our DVC Villa at Grand Cali. Beautiful.
Our neighbors were just here the past two days and said crowds were wonderful. Hopefully this remains the case!

Heading to parks next 3 days!

Our neighbors were just here the past two days and said crowds were wonderful. Hopefully this remains the case!

I think that the crowds were low due to the World Cup. Today is the last day of the World Cup and I think that this week the crowds will really pick up. The 59th anniversary of Disneyland is Thursday too which will really bring a lot people in. I'm glad to hear that a lot of you that have already taken their trips had low crowds. I don't think that will be the same for us.

We went to WDW last year at the beginning of June. The crowds were horrible, they said it was like Thanksgiving. It was not expected to be that busy. Not to mention tropical storm Andrea went through there during our vacation and it rained, and rained then, rained some more. It was a miserable trip.

I wish that we could have gone earlier in July. It didn't really matter when we took our vacation. We could have done it any time in July and could have enjoyed the low crowds. I think that the low crowd level that everyone has enjoyed is coming to an end just as we are about to take our trip. :sad:

I think that the crowds were low due to the World Cup. Today is the last day of the World Cup and I think that this week the crowds will really pick up. The 59th anniversary of Disneyland is Thursday too which will really bring a lot people in. I'm glad to hear that a lot of you that have already taken their trips had low crowds. I don't think that will be the same for us.

We went to WDW last year at the beginning of June. The crowds were horrible, they said it was like Thanksgiving. It was not expected to be that busy. Not to mention tropical storm Andrea went through there during our vacation and it rained, and rained then, rained some more. It was a miserable trip.

I wish that we could have gone earlier in July. It didn't really matter when we took our vacation. We could have done it any time in July and could have enjoyed the low crowds. I think that the low crowd level that everyone has enjoyed is coming to an end just as we are about to take our trip. :sad:

I was there during the same time for WDW and I had an unpleasant experience as well. I think it was my attitude towards the storms and the crowds that caused my trip to go badly- maybe if I was more positive my trip would have gone better. I'm taking a trip to DL in a few days and going to approach it with a better attitude. If its busy, great! If its not, even better! I just have to let my anxiety go :)

We have all been waiting for this Special Day.
We wish for you, The Magic of Disney & Laughter to fill your Hearts.
Have Lots of Fun & We All Wish You Safe Travels
July 15

Benswife
2boysmom1998
Fantaluminishes

We had a great day in the parks. We're staying with friends, but we're moving to GCH tomorrow am.

We made it to the parks around 8:30am. Our friends kept remarking how uncrowded the park felt. I'd have to agree. We got to Peter Pan at 8:40 and the wait was only 20 mins. Afterwards, we went to Dumbo, and we only had to wait for on group of riders ahead of us. We then hit Casey Jr train, Storybookland Canals (both rides were new to us.) Then Teacups and Alice. The waits were all very reasonable, even though we didn't get there before opening. Then we headed to Autopia, while a FP runner went to get Star Tours FP. This was just before 11am. Buzz had a short line, so we hit that before cashing in 5 of our ST FP. Because we couldn't get our friend's daughter to go on it, we got a rider switch pass for it.

It was awesome since DD1 was chosen to be there rebel spy. Plus it was an great combo of scenes. It seems like on our last visit in April, we got the Wookie planet for all of our 5-6 rides!

We decided on Plaza Inn for lunch. The fried chicken seemed a bit over salted today. But it was still delicious.

We then rode the train to NOS. My girlfriend and I were determined to take our kiss on the Canoes, much to the chagrin of our husbands. The made it out to be a horrible ride since you actually have to row the canoe and how fast you go depends on who's in your boat. We did fine and our guide cracked us up since he played into the whole joke about this being an unpopular ride. (maybe their speech is scripted? I don't know since this was another first for us. Maybe since our husbands set low expectations, I actually enjoyed the experience.

We then hit the jungle cruise before getting a Dole Whip and warhcing the Enchanted Tiki Room.

I'd have to say the best tip for today is that there is a Dole Whip line inside the waiting area for the Dole Whips. This was another first for us. (Do you see a theme for this trip?) I'd have to say I enjoyed the whip over the float.

Our friends left, but we stayed to watch the Frozen Pre-parade float and parade.

I knew that the Frozen Pre-parade float was just a simple float. However, after they passed, DD2 said, "That's it?" llLittle does she realize how how much more quickly she can see them vs the multi - hour line t o see them.

It was a very manageableTday in terms of crowds. I hope it will continue for the next few days.

We are super excited. Leaving tomorrow at 7am for a 2 1/2 hour car ride to get to Denver for our flight. Should arrive to SNA around 1:30pm. Then off to the CCI and then to the park. WooHoo! I can't believe it is almost time to go! Lots of last minute packing today and tomorrow. Our boys are super excited to be spending 3 nights with their Grandma and Grandpa, which is helping the mommy guilt of going without them a little better. Looked at the weather forecast and for the next 3 days, highs of 83, 81, and 79. Sounds PERFECT!! Now, if the crowds stay kinda low, I may never want to leave! Hehehe

Very cool! Keep 'em coming!

Thanks - Updated our day 1 at DLP

We arrived home yesterday and we had a great time. It was our first trip to DL. The crowds weren't near as bad as I had expected for July. Thanks to this board for all the great tips! Enjoy your trip, everyone!

Glad you had a Super Day

Yay Bob!!! So glad you guys made it to the DLR!! Have a supercalifragilisticexpialidocious time!!! :thumbsup2

Thanks so much Cali Girl At Heart

We are home after a fantastic trip!! 2 and a half days of my eyes darting around and counting to 8 and one day counting to 10--that's a lot of people to track! But we made it. Tired feet and exhausted from walking and heat, but all worth it!

My surprise/bonus moments:

exiting Peter Pan and immediately spotting my childhood friend (kindergarten-5th grade) entering through the exit. I knew they'd be at the park, but did not foresee running into them like this!

DH's aunt/uncle drove from Sonoma to join us on Friday at both parks. We knew this was happening, but not that they wanted to take us to lunch at Blue Bayou!!!!!! Uncle was a consultant during the development of DCA, so was fun to get some trivia/inside info from him as well.

I'm not sure if another Disneyland trip is in our future. And not sure that I would choose to go in the summer again. But what a great time!

For those of you celebrating a birthday---get your button right away and wear it every day you are in the park!! DH got his on Tuesday afternoon (while nieces got 1st Time buttons) and was told by the CM to wear it even though his actual bday wasn't until Friday. She said you're celebrating the whole time! He never got tired of CMs and other guests telling him happy birthday. And he LOVED doing the same for others. How much he enjoyed this came as a pleasant surprise to him.

Thank you to everyone on this happy July thread!

Happy You had a Super Duper Vacation

Glad to hear Bob and company have arrived safely!

I'd like to ask a favor of those of you who have already returned from your July trips. Many of us are taking our first DLR trips and have read lots of great tips and advice here on the DL board. I'm hoping you will take a moment to share any tips that you thought were especially helpful, or any new tips you learned on your own while there. This would be very useful to those of us still awaiting our magical trips. Thanks in advance!!!

Thanks and our trip report is updated.

Glad you made it.... Have a Super Day

We had a great day in the parks. We're staying with friends, but we're moving to GCH tomorrow am.

We made it to the parks around 8:30am. Our friends kept remarking how uncrowded the park felt. I'd have to agree. We got to Peter Pan at 8:40 and the wait was only 20 mins. Afterwards, we went to Dumbo, and we only had to wait for on group of riders ahead of us. We then hit Casey Jr train, Storybookland Canals (both rides were new to us.) Then Teacups and Alice. The waits were all very reasonable, even though we didn't get there before opening. Then we headed to Autopia, while a FP runner went to get Star Tours FP. This was just before 11am. Buzz had a short line, so we hit that before cashing in 5 of our ST FP. Because we couldn't get our friend's daughter to go on it, we got a rider switch pass for it.

It was awesome since DD1 was chosen to be there rebel spy. Plus it was an great combo of scenes. It seems like on our last visit in April, we got the Wookie planet for all of our 5-6 rides!

We decided on Plaza Inn for lunch. The fried chicken seemed a bit over salted today. But it was still delicious.

We then rode the train to NOS. My girlfriend and I were determined to take our kiss on the Canoes, much to the chagrin of our husbands. The made it out to be a horrible ride since you actually have to row the canoe and how fast you go depends on who's in your boat. We did fine and our guide cracked us up since he played into the whole joke about this being an unpopular ride. (maybe their speech is scripted? I don't know since this was another first for us. Maybe since our husbands set low expectations, I actually enjoyed the experience.

We then hit the jungle cruise before getting a Dole Whip and warhcing the Enchanted Tiki Room.

I'd have to say the best tip for today is that there is a Dole Whip line inside the waiting area for the Dole Whips. This was another first for us. (Do you see a theme for this trip?) I'd have to say I enjoyed the whip over the float.

Our friends left, but we stayed to watch the Frozen Pre-parade float and parade.

I knew that the Frozen Pre-parade float was just a simple float. However, after they passed, DD2 said, "That's it?" llLittle does she realize how how much more quickly she can see them vs the multi - hour line t o see them.

It was a very manageableTday in terms of crowds. I hope it will continue for the next few days.

WOW!!! you had a very busy day.. Sounds like you had a lot of fun.. Hope to meet up with you guy's

We are super excited. Leaving tomorrow at 7am for a 2 1/2 hour car ride to get to Denver for our flight. Should arrive to SNA around 1:30pm. Then off to the CCI and then to the park. WooHoo! I can't believe it is almost time to go! Lots of last minute packing today and tomorrow. Our boys are super excited to be spending 3 nights with their Grandma and Grandpa, which is helping the mommy guilt of going without them a little better. Looked at the weather forecast and for the next 3 days, highs of 83, 81, and 79. Sounds PERFECT!! Now, if the crowds stay kinda low, I may never want to leave! Hehehe

You need to hurry up and get down here.... It is a dream come true.. Have fun in the parks and enjoy the great weather and low crowds compared to the crowds at WDW.. But still love WDW...

Bob, where do you find the time and energy to enjoy a full day in the parks, update your trip report, AND keep up with this thread? Must be the magical Disney oxygen they pump through the DLR! Lol. In all seriousness, I'm really enjoying your updates.

Bob, where do you find the time and energy to enjoy a full day in the parks, update your trip report, AND keep up with this thread? Must be the magical Disney oxygen they pump through the DLR! Lol. In all seriousness, I'm really enjoying your updates.

:lmao: I am having so much fun right now... I am so full of energy. We are going to the Beach today..:beach:

I am uploading a You Tube video but the Wifi connection is so slow...I may have to do the video's when I get home... We'll see..:thumbsup2

Hi everyone! We had such a good time and we all are missing Disneyland in a big way. I wanted to share some of my photos with you guys.

http://s20.photobucket.com/user/Chrysallys/slideshow/Facebook/Sebastians Disneyland Birthday

PW: Disneyland

Hopefully that will work. Let me know if it doesn't.

I also wrote a review of sorts with some tips and tricks and things that worked and didn't work if you want to read it and didn't see it on the board.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3303428

I hope everyone who is back had a wonderful time and those who are getting ready to leave have as much fun as we did.

We have all been waiting for this Special Day.
We wish for you, The Magic of Disney & Laughter to fill your Hearts.
Have Lots of Fun & We All Wish You Safe Travels
July 16

StepNJer
DisneyAZfam
Cathyb93

Here now & riding It's A Small World. I left home at 2am and got into the park at 9am, after pre-checking in at my hotel and walking to the park.

Here now & riding It's A Small World. I left home at 2am and got into the park at 9am, after pre-checking in at my hotel and walking to the park.

Glad you are having fun at the Parks :wave2:.... Do you have my Cell # in case you want to meet up?

Be sure to ride Indiana Jones..... It's a blast. :cool1:

Good Day To All

Updated our Trip Report - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3302724

Also here are a couple of You Tube Videos.

Matterhorn Bobsled - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0a2r9IGLtg

Monorail Ride To DTD - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsUOHcC95kI

Thanks so much for posting all your pics and videos. It's so exciting to see you all having such a great time!! :woohoo: We're leaving Big D super early on Friday morning...I am so excited :yay: I can hardly sleep and I've still gotta get through a day and a half of work :eek:

Hoping everyone is having a magical time!! :wizard:

It has been too long since I've posted on this thread, but planning a wedding and a DLR honeymoon is very time consuming! I'm still recuperating from our fantastic trip! I just wanted to do quick check in before getting some sleep for the night.

Our stay at CCI was nice, but we've decided that we're only going to stay at DLH from now on. We've been spoiled by the great walk through Downtown Disney and the rides on the monorail. Plus, having to keep an eye on the time so that we could catch the shuttle back to CCI was one of the few elements of stress on our trip.

We did a few new things on this trip. Experiencing Cars Land for the first time was amazing. RSR was much better than I thought it would be, and I was so pleased that it didn't break down while we were there (to my knowledge). We rode RSR at night 4 times and once during the day. We didn't ride any other rides in CL, but we didn't really feel the need to. Flo's was great, and so were the ice cream bars at Clarabelle's. We were a bit disappointed that the sundaes are no longer served in the red trolley cars, but it wasn't really a big deal. We also tried Boardwalk Pizza for the first time, which was also good. We enjoyed DCA more this time because of CL, but I still don't consider it to be an all-day park.

We spent most of our time at DL. HM was closed on our last trip, so we got in as many rides as we could this time. We ate at Rancho del Zocalo for the first time and enjoyed it. On our last park day we ate lunch at BB. I had really hoped to try the boneless spare ribs, but unfortunately they're no longer on the menu. DH and I had a split plate of the strip steak instead. The sauce on the meat was very salty, but everything else was delicious. DH loved his gumbo and my salad was one of the best I've ever eaten.

We also started pin trading for the first time on this trip! It's expensive, but very addictive!

It was really hot on our entire trip, so we always took mid-day breaks of at least 2 hours. We had only planned on staying until closing our last night in the parks, but everything seemed to flow so well on this trip that we ended up staying until closing 3 out of our 5 days. The crowds were much more manageable than we thought they would be. We kept hearing CMs talk about how surprisingly low the crowds were. Everything was just so magical on this trip. It truly was the happiest of honeymoons in the happiest place on Earth! I can't wait to look at the PP+ pictures!

Oops, this was supposed to be a short post. :blush: If anyone has any questions, I'll be happy to help if I can!

It has been too long since I've posted on this thread, but planning a wedding and a DLR honeymoon is very time consuming! I'm still recuperating from our fantastic trip! I just wanted to do quick check in before getting some sleep for the night.

Our stay at CCI was nice, but we've decided that we're only going to stay at DLH from now on. We've been spoiled by the great walk through Downtown Disney and the rides on the monorail. Plus, having to keep an eye on the time so that we could catch the shuttle back to CCI was one of the few elements of stress on our trip.

We did a few new things on this trip. Experiencing Cars Land for the first time was amazing. RSR was much better than I thought it would be, and I was so pleased that it didn't break down while we were there (to my knowledge). We rode RSR at night 4 times and once during the day. We didn't ride any other rides in CL, but we didn't really feel the need to. Flo's was great, and so were the ice cream bars at Clarabelle's. We were a bit disappointed that the sundaes are no longer served in the red trolley cars, but it wasn't really a big deal. We also tried Boardwalk Pizza for the first time, which was also good. We enjoyed DCA more this time because of CL, but I still don't consider it to be an all-day park.

We spent most of our time at DL. HM was closed on our last trip, so we got in as many rides as we could this time. We ate at Rancho del Zocalo for the first time and enjoyed it. On our last park day we ate lunch at BB. I had really hoped to try the boneless spare ribs, but unfortunately they're no longer on the menu. DH and I had a split plate of the strip steak instead. The sauce on the meat was very salty, but everything else was delicious. DH loved his gumbo and my salad was one of the best I've ever eaten.

We also started pin trading for the first time on this trip! It's expensive, but very addictive!

It was really hot on our entire trip, so we always took mid-day breaks of at least 2 hours. We had only planned on staying until closing our last night in the parks, but everything seemed to flow so well on this trip that we ended up staying until closing 3 out of our 5 days. The crowds were much more manageable than we thought they would be. We kept hearing CMs talk about how surprisingly low the crowds were. Everything was just so magical on this trip. It truly was the happiest of honeymoons in the happiest place on Earth! I can't wait to look at the PP+ pictures!

Oops, this was supposed to be a short post. :blush: If anyone has any questions, I'll be happy to help if I can!

Hello - Glad you had a great time, sorry we missed each other. Congratulation on your Wedding..

Your trip report sound like you were able to do what you wanted... :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter