The NOT going to Target has saved me so much money thread.

They are so good at what they do. I too always find myself picking up extras. I don't want to not go though because they have some food items that I love. (Good cheap boxed wine!!!) So now I go in with my list and am not allowed to get anything not on the list. If I see something else I want I add it to the end of my list. If I still think we need it by the next trip and it is still there then I get it.

My husband and I were both managers for Target for 7 years. They paid great and had good benefits. but we could have taken $10,000 pay cuts each and I think we would have been money ahead. If you like shopping there imagine working there. I would see a guest with some great clearance item and get all excited and go seek it out for myself. I knew when everything was going on clearance. I now work at Bass Pro Shops and I don't hunt or fish and save a ton of money. I miss some of the good deals but I am saving a fortune.

Target is our reward when we are good in this house lol Popcorn & coke for $1.64 then we stroll every isle.

But I had to wean the little one from it. Now if I need 1 or 2 things, I pay more and get it at Family Dollar. Their clothes, toys, etc are all crap but I can pick up milk and tp there for just a few cents extra. No temptations.

I totally agree with avoiding Target to save money. When you go in as entertainment, you leave with so many uneccessary purchases. What really was an eye opener for me was going in the morning one day and seeing all these moms just wandering with vacant eyes , carts loaded with stuff . I thought about how many times I was like that, and now I only go when I need something specific.

I have spent $0 at Walmart in 2011 and I have made only one trip to Target in 2011, and I pretty much stuck to my list on that trip.

I do most of my shopping online but for the basics I do it all at Target and Costco. The bills are always high, but with a large family (a total of 8 kids, 3 now in college) I think we save a lot of money. I really think that no matter where you shop the key is to stick to what you need. Impulse shopping is the problem, not the actual store : )

I agree with the part I bolded. I also agree that for you, Costco likely does save you money for a family that large.

Target is our reward when we are good in this house lol Popcorn & coke for $1.64 then we stroll every isle.

But I had to wean the little one from it. Now if I need 1 or 2 things, I pay more and get it at Family Dollar. Their clothes, toys, etc are all crap but I can pick up milk and tp there for just a few cents extra. No temptations.

I also stop in at Family Dollar for the things I was going to Target for. One, it's closer; and two, I'm not really interested in most of their merchandise. I generally go to Target to pick up cleaning supplies.

My husband and I were both managers for Target for 7 years. They paid great and had good benefits. but we could have taken $10,000 pay cuts each and I think we would have been money ahead. If you like shopping there imagine working there. I would see a guest with some great clearance item and get all excited and go seek it out for myself. I knew when everything was going on clearance. I now work at Bass Pro Shops and I don't hunt or fish and save a ton of money. I miss some of the good deals but I am saving a fortune.

Its good to hear of a workplace that was actually a good experience and paid well!

For me is all the cute seasonal stuff that gets me in the shopping mood at Target.

I totally agree with avoiding Target to save money. When you go in as entertainment, you leave with so many uneccessary purchases. What really was an eye opener for me was going in the morning one day and seeing all these moms just wandering with vacant eyes , carts loaded with stuff . I thought about how many times I was like that, and now I only go when I need something specific.

This is exactly how my Target is! Loads of mom's with young children in tow and carts just full to the brim with stuff. I think my worst spending streak at Target was when I bought my first home a couple years ago. I was a young college aged person and was really getting decent paychecks where I had so much spending money left over. With Target having SO much neat looking stuff I just couldn't ever resist. I think all of my Kitchen (The adorable gadgets always got me), dining room, bathroom and a lot of the stuff in my bedroom came from Target. I do have to say I didn't ever go over board and buy something is each available color:rotfl: Thank goodness....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter