The No Dress Code enforcement

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm gonna wear a zoot suit and a fedora with a ridiculous feather in it.

Sent from my rotary phone using DISBoards

I can't believe you posted this!!!! :rotfl2:

We just got off the Wonder a couple of weeks ago. When we booked earlier this year and I read all these posts about dress code that is exactly what I told my wife I was doing!!!! I just didn't lose the weight I hoped to lose to pull it off. :( I was thinking bright purple or neon green.

Semiformal was going to be either a steampunkish outfit or a traditional Chinese suit. I hadn't decided. Maybe on the next cruise. After all, it's just a costume party with the theme of formal.

Not that I have done a study or anything but, when you dress nice (not suggesting tux or ballgown, but rather khakis, golf shirt, blouse, skirt...maybe some bling), you act nice (which can help alleviate the noise issue) and maybe, just maybe, the food quality will be better.

That is great that many people don't notice what other people wear. But, I, for one, always notice my surroundings. I take things in. I notice the decor. I notice the music. I take in the smells. I notice the smiles (or frowns) on people's faces. I notice...people. So, of course, I notice what people wear. And what you wear tells a lot about who you are. Not everything, of course. I'm not suggesting people who wear t-shirts and swim trunks are bad people, but rather (this may get me in trouble) they aren't expecting much from the dinner cruise experience.

Yes, I will still enjoy my dinner with my family no matter what anyone wears, but I'm just saying that there are people who do notice what you are wearing. Whether you care or not, that is up to you. In any case, enjoy your cruise.

:confused3 So people who are dressed "better" get better food in the exact same restaurant in the exact same dining room? Or if people should all show up dressed better the chef would all of a sudden want to cook better? I really don't follow the people who dress better act better reasoning. I've seen some pretty poor behavior at weddings and funerals. Events where you tend to dress up. I can put a bow tie on a 2 year old. It won't stop them from making a mess at dinner if that's their norm. Does this mean if you were to wear sweats and a torn t shirt to dinner you'd act differently? Sorry to disappoint but my table manners are universal no matter what I'm wearing. What I wear tells a lot about who I am? No it doesn't. It might tell about what I had available or what my comfort level or clothing style is, but it does not say who I am as a person. So on my cruise when the zipper broke on my formal dress and I had to switch to dress pants and a nice shirt for formal night all of a sudden I became a different person? A tiger doesn't change it's stripes. Doesn't matter if that tiger is wearing a striped suit or a striped polo. If you can't be kind in a t shirt and shorts, you're probably not going to be a nicer person just because you have heels and a formal gown on.

I also am very aware of my surroundings. What I might notice is someone giving an odd look or making a comment about what other people are wearing. When I see that type of behavior then yes I do make an assumption of who you are as a person. But I am looking at your actions and not your clothing.

As for your statement of there are people who do notice what you're wearing and do care, and it's up to you if you care or not. I'm sorry I think it's up to the person making decisions about who I am as a person based on my clothing is the one who it's up to them to care or not. I can't control other people. If someone's attire, that is within the dress code rules, bothers you or makes you think less of them, then that is on you. Not them.

I'm gonna wear a zoot suit and a fedora with a ridiculous feather in it.

Sent from my rotary phone using DISBoards

Can we sit at the same table please? :woohoo:

:confused3 So people who are dressed "better" get better food in the exact same restaurant in the exact same dining room? Or if people should all show up dressed better the chef would all of a sudden want to cook better? I really don't follow the people who dress better act better reasoning. I've seen some pretty poor behavior at weddings and funerals. Events where you tend to dress up. I can put a bow tie on a 2 year old. It won't stop them from making a mess at dinner if that's their norm. Does this mean if you were to wear sweats and a torn t shirt to dinner you'd act differently? Sorry to disappoint but my table manners are universal no matter what I'm wearing. What I wear tells a lot about who I am? No it doesn't. It might tell about what I had available or what my comfort level or clothing style is, but it does not say who I am as a person. So on my cruise when the zipper broke on my formal dress and I had to switch to dress pants and a nice shirt for formal night all of a sudden I became a different person? A tiger doesn't change it's stripes. Doesn't matter if that tiger is wearing a striped suit or a striped polo. If you can't be kind in a t shirt and shorts, you're probably not going to be a nicer person just because you have heels and a formal gown on.

I also am very aware of my surroundings. What I might notice is someone giving an odd look or making a comment about what other people are wearing. When I see that type of behavior then yes I do make an assumption of who you are as a person. But I am looking at your actions and not your clothing.

As for your statement of there are people who do notice what you're wearing and do care, and it's up to you if you care or not. I'm sorry I think it's up to the person making decisions about who I am as a person based on my clothing is the one who it's up to them to care or not. I can't control other people. If someone's attire, that is within the dress code rules, bothers you or makes you think less of them, then that is on you. Not them.
Great post!! I have seen people dressed to the 9s be completely rude and abnoxious and people who are grubby be the kindest. You are so right about a tiger not changing his stripes

While we follow the dress code and actually enjoy getting ready for dinner each night, I could not tell you what the people around me are wearing. I have always taken it as enjoying time with family and the friends we cruised with. While I wish that some would follow it, I have never let it ruin the fun we were having.

Never been pregnant but I hate jeans and find them about as far from comfortable as possible. For me, it's either maxi dresses (with tights under for comfort) or short sun dresses (with brightly colored tights underneath!) Comfy, cute and not jeans. Yuck. If I want pregnant room or eatin' room, jeans would be the furthest last thing I would put on. But glad it works for you. To the OP, I think its like the parks. We spent all day park hopping in our Lil Mermaid shirts and khaki skorts and met our parents at the nice Contemporary Wave restaurant for surprise dinner, and then back to MK after. They would have a difficult time enforcing dress codes with park goers coming and going to dinner. Maybe just Grand Floridian might be the exception, but I doubt they would turn someone away in jeans. (Anyone know for sure?) Anyone remember the high end Living Seas restaurant? Still park hopping attire there too. So really, the cruise ships are a sea based Disney resort experience. They have no enforced dress code in the parks (pretty sure they look down on string bikinis, but then again, who hasn't seen those in the parks either) and so their restaurants (even nicer ones) don't have a formal/business casual code either. I think the only one that does is the upsell PALO where you cannot wear shorts there...

My maternity jeans were very stretchy and felt like sweats. I lived them outside of work.

I did have to go to a black tie event when I was pregnant, so I purchased a maternity gown. I don't think it is required for a cruise though. I think pregnant women get a pass when it comes to attire and comfort is priority!

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

I am too busy enjoying my family time, the food, the drinks, the service, the decor and could care less what others are wearing. Unless someone is being obnoxious or disruptive I don't even notice other families.

simbasmom2 said:
I am too busy enjoying my family time, the food, the drinks, the service, the decor and could care less what others are wearing. Unless someone is being obnoxious or disruptive I don't even notice other families.

This^^^

I wear a golf shirt and khaki shorts to dinner; the only difference on formal night is that I wear slacks instead of shorts. That's it. No muss, no fuss. If that offends you, your opinion isn't worth caring about in the first place. By the same token, I don't get particularly offended by what anyone else is wearing. Considering the price of a Disney cruise, we *should* be able to wear what we want. I hope people don't wear cutoffs/swimsuit cover-ups/etc, but the thought that it would affect my vacation in any way beyond an amused glance is ridiculous.

Hey, anything other than the scrubs I wear to work is dressed up for me! I'm not paying airlines for an extra bag to bring down a ball gown and tux for my 5 yo. Nope sorry.

So we just got off the Fantasy and hands down the biggest disappointment was the dress code in the main dining room. DCL made zero effort to enforce a dress code of any kind. We saw people with jeans, ripped jeans, flip flops, tank tops and ratty looking plaid shirts. Men wearing baseball caps at the table and kids in bathing suits with t-shirts. And this was late seating! I was shocked and disappointed at the same time. Formal night I found there were less people dressed up than last year. Most that made the effort were more semi-formal than "formal" which is very different than our experience last year where we saw many in tuxes and long gowns. But certainly sitting across from people in jeans and t-shirts in the dining room on formal night as we sat in dresses and suits made it seem less special. My table mates thought that perhaps DCL should have enforced the dress code for at least that night and suggested people go to Cabanas instead. Given our experience this year was so different than last year where everyone "dressed up" for the MDR, I have to wonder if this is the new norm or just an anomaly? Has anyone else experienced this?

dh had zero interest in ever booking another Disney cruise until the changed their dress code. When a deal came up he was completely interested. His idea of the perfect vacation is not even packing a pair of long pants. My idea is formal dining every night, which I can get on other lines, so I am fine with dcl's new dress code as long as we do t only cruise dcl.

I always wear a Polo and Dockers to Dinner. Ironically Polo's cost about double what a standard dress shirt costs but is looked at as more casual.

I didn't read all the posts as I'm sure this has become a controversial subject. "Formal" night on board is a turn off to lots of folks for various reasons. Relaxing the dress code and suggesting that it be "resort or business casual" leads room for various levels of interpretation. I'd rather see folks dressing "in the middle" but then again, that can open to interpretation. DCL isn't going to turn anyone away so I guess folks figure they can come to dinner dressed as they please.

We were on the first Hawaii cruise. The trip was kinda rough. We had 15 dinners and I must have missed 7 because of weak tummy. On semi formal night the family DH, DD, DSIL and DGD forgot and we went to dinner in our regular clothes from the day. We were embarrassed but our servers made us feel right at ease. I think they were just happy that all 5 of us showed up.
I had never been sea sick prior to this trip.
We still had a wonderful time and I don't know what anyone else in the MDR had on. We were too busy having a good time!

For some of us dressing formal is hard. We as a family don't have nice dress clothes and shoes. We also don't have extra money to buy suits and dresses. This cruise is a blessing for us, and a once in a lifetime trip. We will dress as nice as we can, but its not always financially possible for everyone.

We were on the first Hawaii cruise. The trip was kinda rough. We had 15 dinners and I must have missed 7 because of weak tummy. On semi formal night the family DH, DD, DSIL and DGD forgot and we went to dinner in our regular clothes from the day. We were embarrassed but our servers made us feel right at ease. I think they were just happy that all 5 of us showed up. I had never been sea sick prior to this trip. We still had a wonderful time and I don't know what anyone else in the MDR had on. We were too busy having a good time!

I wore a lot of Hawaiian shirts and khakis that cruise. Sorry the seas bothered you, that cruise was the best I ever slept. Fond memories of the quiet cove wave pool that I would guess was fluctuating +- 3 feet, crazy. Wish we sailed in seas like that all the time.

When on the magic in November I went khaki pants and a short sleeve button down shirt every night. Plan to do the same in January on the Fantasy. May pack a tie for formal night, but tying one is not my forte.

Cgolf

I don't really care what others wear as long as it is tasteful.

We were on the Carnival Sensation for a 3-night last year. It was horrifying.

I would say the majority of the men had their pants so low you saw underwear. I even saw pubic hair on a few men one morning at breakfast. Mmm, pancakes and pubes.

A lot of spandex pants and bras on the ladies.

I felt like I walked into a really really bad nightclub.

And during dance parties on the pool deck? Even mid-afternoon. Hands all over. I was mortified to have my kids see that stuff.

But jeans and flip flops? That's the least of my concerns!!

We don't care what others wear unless it is totally obnoxious. We are there to enjoy our vacation. We dress nice, because we are celebrating our time, not what others are doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter