• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The **New** Swan and Dolphin Resort thread ~ September 2010 ~ Please read post #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here now and if I can figure out how to post pics I will do so. We are in a standard room overlooking the circular front drive. We have views of the waterways, the boardwalk and the tower of terror (HS). Not horrible and no one is complaining!
The weather is hot and humid and crowd levels seem high ( previous visits were Jan and Oct). We had dinner at Garden Grove last night. It's a buffet and dinner had carved beef, fish, chicken, Mac and cheese, green beans, cold salads, spinach salad, kids buffet, and several desserts. I would rate it a 7 out of 10. We saw both Goofy and Pluto. Apparently there are other characters on other nights. If anyone has other questions let me know!

:confused3

Let me start by thanking everyone for this awesome thread! I have been going back and forth trying to figure out where we're going to stay during our upcoming Jan. trip! We never really wanted to stay anywhere but the Poly, but limited discounts and the big jump in rates have led us to consider off-site. I've spent the better part of 3 days reading over this awesome thread and was totally pumped to book the Dolphin...only to plug in our dates to find it's booked solid at both hotels Jan 1-8.
I am bummed because I've always wanted to check out the Boardwalk area and thought this would be a great way to get there w/ a reasonable price.

So w/ the S&D full here are the options I'm considering:

Hilton Bonnet Creek
Wyndam Bonnet Creek (rent from owner)
Sharaton Vistana Villages
Ft. Wilderness Cabins

Any other suggestions?? We will be driving down and don't mind driving to the parks. I actually prefer it over taking a Disney bus.

My other choice to get into the S&D is to move our dates back by 1 week. Our original plan was to be there Jan 1-8 b/c DS is out of school until Jan. 10. We could let him miss 4 days of school and go Jan 7-14...the S&D is available then.

We are a family of four w/ two boys...ages 4 & 8 at the time of travel.

Help! I need to make a decision soon and can't seem to make up my mind. Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks! :thumbsup2

A quick question please. I will be driving an ECV for the first time ever at WDW due to my horrible knees. Will I be able to drive it direct to Epcot from the Swan on the walking trail? I am so worried about the boat transfer. Thanks for any help!

A quick question please. I will be driving an ECV for the first time ever at WDW due to my horrible knees. Will I be able to drive it direct to Epcot from the Swan on the walking trail? I am so worried about the boat transfer. Thanks for any help!

Yep, shouldn't be a problem!

We're back from the magic of Disney into the "real" world! :sad2: Always sad to come home........I guess the secret about S/D is out! ;)
Welcome home.

:scared1: :ssst:

Here now and if I can figure out how to post pics I will do so.....
Enjoy.

Take a look here.....

http://www.disboards.com/showpost.php?p=17030652&postcount=3

http://www.viddler.com/explore/WebmasterWill/videos/6/

....only to plug in our dates to find it's booked solid at both hotels Jan 1-8.......Any insight would be appreciated.
Try calling direct, see if they can make it happen.

I used ECV on one trip there. It works fine on all the walkways. And do not concern yourself over the boats. It works very easily, they do many, many transfers every day. Enjoy.

Thank you so much for allaying my fears. I assume you have driven one before? Are they difficult to become accustomed to driving? I plan on driving it over and parking it close enough to each country so I can use my cane to walk around a bit.

Also-do I need to let the Swan know I am renting one or will every room there accommodate one inside the room?

Thanks again for the answers to this newbie on wheels!

Yes, I had one, drove one for a full 7 or 8 day trip. Never did before. Very easy to learn, a few minutes. And yes, all the rooms accommodate them. Drive it in and plug it in to charge. Parking by any attraction is easy, just put where you see all the others or ask a CM. The ECV is a Godsend if you need one, makes for a very enjoyable trip.

Hilton Bonnet Creek
Ft. Wilderness Cabins

Hilton Bonnet Creek is the nicest Hilton in the area besides the Waldorf next door which is more for adults. Rates I've seen are pretty cheap for what you get. I would go with the one above that meets your needs and ignore the pools since your going in January.

I was just reading a current review of the Dolphin and it said that they received a $5 food credit for every day they did not have housekeeping clean the room.

Sounds interesting...

Yes, that is correct. I think there is a 3 night minimum stay. I might be corrected.

Close, Dan.

The program is called "Make a Green Choice" and it actually requires a 2 night minimum stay because you can't opt out of housekeeping the day you check out. For up to 3 consecutive days at a time you may opt out of housekeeping and each day they skip you, they slip a little card under the door that can either be redeemed as $5 off a food/beverage purchase at the time of purchase OR can be turned in at checkout for 500 SPG points posted to your SPG account. I feel the points are the better deal.

Notes:
That maximum limit is on consecutive days, not total days, so those with longer stays may re-opt out after they have the housekeeping day.
Opting out of housekeeping does not affect the daily delivery of water bottles. Those are delivered by the in-room dining department.

Close, Dan.

The program is called "Make a Green Choice" and it actually requires a 2 night minimum stay because you can't opt out of housekeeping the day you check out. For up to 3 consecutive days at a time you may opt out of housekeeping and each day they skip you, they slip a little card under the door that can either be redeemed as $5 off a food/beverage purchase at the time of purchase OR can be turned in at checkout for 500 SPG points posted to your SPG account. I feel the points are the better deal.

Notes:
That maximum limit is on consecutive days, not total days, so those with longer stays may re-opt out after they have the housekeeping day.
Opting out of housekeeping does not affect the daily delivery of water bottles. Those are delivered by the in-room dining department.

Thanks for this information. I think this is a good idea. I have one question, do you get 500 points for the total of your stay or 500 points for each day you opt out of housekeeping?

Welcome home, MouseTeacher! :hippie:

Let me start by thanking everyone for this awesome thread! I have been going back and forth trying to figure out where we're going to stay during our upcoming Jan. trip! We never really wanted to stay anywhere but the Poly, but limited discounts and the big jump in rates have led us to consider off-site. I've spent the better part of 3 days reading over this awesome thread and was totally pumped to book the Dolphin...only to plug in our dates to find it's booked solid at both hotels Jan 1-8.
I am bummed because I've always wanted to check out the Boardwalk area and thought this would be a great way to get there w/ a reasonable price.

Hilton Bonnet Creek
Ft. Wilderness Cabins

Any other suggestions?? We will be driving down and don't mind driving to the parks. I actually prefer it over taking a Disney bus.

My other choice to get into the S&D is to move our dates back by 1 week. Our original plan was to be there Jan 1-8 b/c DS is out of school until Jan. 10. We could let him miss 4 days of school and go Jan 7-14...the S&D is available then.

We are a family of four w/ two boys...ages 4 & 8 at the time of travel.

Help! I need to make a decision soon and can't seem to make up my mind. Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks! :thumbsup2

Our choice is always the Dolphin :goodvibes, but I will say that with the ages of your boys, they might enjoy the FW Cabins. My brother's family recently stayed there with 3 little girls and they loved it.

As Dan already said - don't fret over the boat transfers. The captains are very patient and will make certain you are on and off safely! :thumbsup2

SingingMom- thanks so much for the reply! It's such a hard decision, especially since FD has just been released. Although, I think we would still come out cheaper at the Dolphin, even w/ FD at the Ft. Wilderness Cabins. I'm really trying to stretch every buck out of this trip. :thumbsup2

Wondering if anyone knows if historically the Swan/Dolphin offers any special rates at Thanksgiving time? Currently have AAA rate booked at Swan for the week before Thanksgiving (19th - 25th) but I'm curious if anything better might come along. :confused3 Thanks:flower3:

We are still here, leave tomorrow, and I agree that it's very busy here.

I saw a large group check-in and they wore lanyards with Dreams RES on it (same as the logo above). I connected it here with the DIS travel. I believe that was where the group originated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter