• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The **New** Swan and Dolphin Resort thread ~ September 2010 ~ Please read post #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't have any pricing comparisons for executive vs. grand, but I've been upgraded to both types of suites at both the Swan and Dolphin in the past. Layouts vary, not just Swan vs. Dolphin but within each resort as well. My most recent upgrade was at the Dolphin to an executive suite on the 3rd floor. That parlor had a Murphy bed as well as sofa bed, a couple of chairs, a small table (maybe for 2) and the first suite parlor I've encountered that actually had the wired ethernet port AT THE DESK. Usually I find it next to the tv. A month and 1/2 prior I had been at the Swan and was assigned an executive suite on a higher floor that had a larger table (maybe for 6), and sofa bed, some chairs, desk, etc. I think it may have been smaller than the Dolphin one, but am a bit fuzzy as both stays were only for 1 night each.

Grand suite parlors were larger than the executive parlors with larger conference tables (seating 8-10) as well as having more chairs.

I notice in your post and others on here- people referring to upgrades. are you referring to "paid" upgrades or just some Disney magic?

We are booked M-F this week with a standard room (corp rate of $129/night as I have mtgs W/TH) as part of a 2 day conference. Is there any chance that our room might be upgraded when we check in? Its hubby, daughter (11), myself and now at the last minute our niece (13) is coming too as a pal for my daughter. I am sure we will fine if not cozy in a standard, but would love any upgrade.

is this something that you ask for at check in, or would calling tonight before we arrive tomorrow make a difference? I know there is no guarentee but if I can help my odds why not?

thanks so much

I notice in your post and others on here- people referring to upgrades. are you referring to "paid" upgrades or just some Disney magic?
We are booked M-F this week with a standard room (corp rate of $129/night as I have mtgs W/TH) as part of a 2 day conference. Is there any chance that our room might be upgraded when we check in? Its hubby, daughter (11), myself and now at the last minute our niece (13) is coming too as a pal for my daughter. I am sure we will fine if not cozy in a standard, but would love any upgrade.
is this something that you ask for at check in, or would calling tonight before we arrive tomorrow make a difference? I know there is no guarentee but if I can help my odds why not?
thanks so much

First of all, Standard Rooms at the Swan and Dolphin are limited view rooms. Any other views are considered an upgrade. Theme park views, Lake views, Resort views, and even views with balconies don't usually provide additional space in a room, though.

Re: Upgrades...

First, I'm not going to give "Disney magic" any credit for upgrades. The Swan and Dolphin are not Disney owned/operated. They are Starwood hotels. You may have read mention of "SPG", the Starwood Preferred Guest program. Unlike Disney, Starwood has a loyalty program -- Starwood Preferred Guest.

If you sign up for SPG, you are a Starwood Preferred Guest member. SPG base members are not entitled to upgrades.

If you sign up for SPG via AAA or link your SPG membership to AAA, you are a Starwood Preferred Plus Guest member. SPG Plus members are entitled to an upgrade. This usually means an upgrade in view or to a higher floor or something like that.

If you accumulate 10 paid stays or 25 paid nights over the course of the year, you get bumped up to SPG Gold status. This entitles you to an upgrade similar to what I mentioned above for the SPG Plus members.

If you accumulate 25 paid stays or 50 paid nights over the course of the year, you get bumped up to SPG Platinum status. This entitles you an upgrade to the best available room, including "Standard Select Suites". I'm SPG Plat, and have had very good experiences getting upgraded to suites when they're available. Sometimes a convention or something will be at the hotel and all of the suites have been booked by paying guests and I appreciate the front desk letting me know when they can't offer those upgrades.

Any other upgrades that guests may receive are good will on the part of the resort. Like I said, I have found that they do appreciate loyalty and will offer good will when they can.

I know its probably been mentioned at some point in 163 pages, but for java junkies like myself that bring their own coffee to make in the room, the Swan has pod-style coffee makers.

First of all, Standard Rooms at the Swan and Dolphin are limited view rooms. Any other views are considered an upgrade. Theme park views, Lake views, Resort views, and even views with balconies don't usually provide additional space in a room, though.

First, I'm not going to give "Disney magic" any credit for upgrades. The Swan and Dolphin are not Disney owned/operated. They are Starwood hotels. You may have read mention of "SPG", the Starwood Preferred Guest program. Unlike Disney, Starwood has a loyalty program -- Starwood Preferred Guest.

If you sign up for SPG, you are a Starwood Preferred Guest member. SPG base members are not entitled to upgrades.

If you sign up for SPG via AAA or link your SPG membership to AAA, you are a Starwood Preferred Plus Guest member. SPG Plus members are entitled to an upgrade. This usually means an upgrade in view or to a higher floor or something like that.

If you accumulate 10 paid stays or 25 paid nights over the course of the year, you get bumped up to SPG Gold status. This entitles you to an upgrade similar to what I mentioned above for the SPG Plus members.

If you accumulate 25 paid stays or 50 paid nights over the course of the year, you get bumped up to SPG Platinum status. This entitles you an upgrade to the best available room, including "Standard Select Suites". I'm SPG Plat, and have had very good experiences getting upgraded to suites when they're available. Sometimes a convention or something will be at the hotel and all of the suites have been booked by paying guests and I appreciate the front desk letting me know when they can't offer those upgrades.

Any other upgrades that guests may receive are good will on the part of the resort. Like I said, I have found that they do appreciate loyalty and will offer good will when they can.

Thank you so much for your answer- I am a starwood base member from other previous work travel but nothing fancy like "preferred" That being said, I think I will certainly ask at check in tomorrow if there is any chance of an upgrade, as my company is booking 50-100 rooms over a two week period of time. Maybe that could help :confused3

Either way I am SOOO excited and hope that we have an amazing time

I don't have any pricing comparisons for executive vs. grand, but I've been upgraded to both types of suites at both the Swan and Dolphin in the past. Layouts vary, not just Swan vs. Dolphin but within each resort as well. My most recent upgrade was at the Dolphin to an executive suite on the 3rd floor. That parlor had a Murphy bed as well as sofa bed, a couple of chairs, a small table (maybe for 2) and the first suite parlor I've encountered that actually had the wired ethernet port AT THE DESK. Usually I find it next to the tv. A month and 1/2 prior I had been at the Swan and was assigned an executive suite on a higher floor that had a larger table (maybe for 6), and sofa bed, some chairs, desk, etc. I think it may have been smaller than the Dolphin one, but am a bit fuzzy as both stays were only for 1 night each.

Grand suite parlors were larger than the executive parlors with larger conference tables (seating 8-10) as well as having more chairs.

Thanks for the feedback. You stated that you have stayed in both the grand and executive suites. If you don't mind-Which did you prefer and why? I have a two bedroom executive suite booked. I just wondered what the differences are between the two. I'm trying to figure out if the grand suite is a level below or a level above the executive suite or are they the same with the difference being a conference table? I'm new to the Dolphin and I'm just trying to sort out all the different information that I have been reading. These discussion boards are so very helpful. Thanks again!

Leaving tomorrow a.m. for the SWAN!!! first time and cannot wait. We have reservations for dinner tomorrow are the Garden Grill (thanks to those of you for the tip about restaurants.com!!)
This is a character dinner correct? Who are the characters? I have searched high and low and dont see anything related to this. Also- I booked reservations for 6 as some local friends in FL were going to join us for the day and are now not coming. Should I call back today and tell them only 3 or will it be fine to have a smaller group show up?
thanks all

Have a great trip!! :cool1:

Check the Garden Grove section for the characters....

http://allears.net/din/cb.htm

I am new to the SPG program. We are very active users of our Hilton Honors program. I did sign up before making my Dolphin ressie but can you advise how to "link" to my AAA account? I did make my ressie using the AAA rate. TIA :)

Thanks for the feedback. You stated that you have stayed in both the grand and executive suites. If you don't mind-Which did you prefer and why? I have a two bedroom executive suite booked. I just wondered what the differences are between the two. I'm trying to figure out if the grand suite is a level below or a level above the executive suite or are they the same with the difference being a conference table? I'm new to the Dolphin and I'm just trying to sort out all the different information that I have been reading. These discussion boards are so very helpful. Thanks again!

I think the grand suite is a level above the executive suite because I'm pretty sure the grand suites have a slightly bigger parlor than the executive suites. There's no consistent floor plan for either type, though, so things may differ slightly. I don't have a strong preference for or against either one. I'm always just as thrilled when I discover I've been upgraded to one, as I love having the separate parlor area and the extra bottles of water. :)

I am new to the SPG program. We are very active users of our Hilton Honors program. I did sign up before making my Dolphin ressie but can you advise how to "link" to my AAA account? I did make my ressie using the AAA rate. TIA :)

I *think* you can just call SPG customer service (the number you see when you log into your account) and they can take care of it. Also, if you have some sort of elite status with Hilton Honors, there may be some sort of status match or challenge program they can offer you.

I *think* you can just call SPG customer service (the number you see when you log into your account) and they can take care of it. Also, if you have some sort of elite status with Hilton Honors, there may be some sort of status match or challenge program they can offer you.

SPG has recently ended all status matches. They only offer challenges now.

I think the grand suite is a level above the executive suite because I'm pretty sure the grand suites have a slightly bigger parlor than the executive suites. There's no consistent floor plan for either type, though, so things may differ slightly. I don't have a strong preference for or against either one. I'm always just as thrilled when I discover I've been upgraded to one, as I love having the separate parlor area and the extra bottles of water. :)

Do you receive extra bottle of water if you book a suite and do you pay more than 12.00 per day resort fee? I am already paying 549. a night with a teacher discount (including taxes and fees). It's during spring break does the price seem high? THANKS!

Do you receive extra bottle of water if you book a suite and do you pay more than 12.00 per day resort fee? I am already paying 549. a night with a teacher discount (including taxes and fees). It's during spring break does the price seem high? THANKS!

$550 a night!?!?!?!:scared1:

I know! It seems high to me as well,but it is for a two bedroom. I compared it to two moderates at disney and right now at rack rate the price is very comparable.Since I'm going Easter week I don't that disney will be offering discounts. I have never stayed at Dolphin so I don't know prices. Compared to posts I have seen on this board it does seem high.

We paid $483/nt last spring break for a 2BR Executive Suite with a AAA discount, so $550/nt isn't all that expensive. They only offer so many discounted suites, so possibly the better discounted ones are already gone for that time period.

We paid $483/nt last spring break for a 2BR Executive Suite with a AAA discount, so $550/nt isn't all that expensive. They only offer so many discounted suites, so possibly the better discounted ones are already gone for that time period.

I feel a little better now. Before taxes the rate is 488. a night that is with the teacher discount. The person I spoke with in reservations told me that it was a really good price, but it did seem high to me The Swan was 400. more. I booked the Dolphin becauseI don't want to end up paying more by waiting. The person in reservations also said that I could call and check prices periodically. Does anyone know if the AAA discount is better than the teacher rate?

There seems to be an air of mystery regarding suites at Swan & Dolphin - out of this entire thread of people who have reserved them or been upgraded, there is no consistent layout, size or price for them!

I don't know if the resort fee is charged for both the parlor and the bedroom or just one resort fee for the whole block as the resort fee is waived for SPG Plats. I do know that each room is set with 2 bottles of water. That's 2 in the parlor and 2 per bedroom. I also know that for the occasions in which I had a stay long enough to "make a green choice" I got cards for both the parlor and the bedroom.

I don't know if the resort fee is charged for both the parlor and the bedroom or just one resort fee for the whole block as the resort fee is waived for SPG Plats. I do know that each room is set with 2 bottles of water. That's 2 in the parlor and 2 per bedroom. I also know that for the occasions in which I had a stay long enough to "make a green choice" I got cards for both the parlor and the bedroom.

That's good to know. Thanks!

Just a thought for you:
On our 2008 stay at the Swan, we had dinner at WL. We chose to take a cab (there were only 3 of us) from the front of the Swan to the WL. The cost was about $16. We made this choice because the Disney transportation options to get to the WL were cumbersome. Plus, it was July and so hot that we didn't want to arrive wilted with all the changes to get there.

I did take the bus to DTD to do some shopping, it took quite a while to get there and I waited quite some time for a DTD bus. Even coming back from DTD to the S/D was a wait and a long ride. And if my memory serves me correct, there was a stop at one of the water parks on the way. Just my experience and my 2 cents...:)

The ONLY thing I really dislike about the transportation system is that bus stop at DTD. We have waited and waited and waited forever, on various occasions. Last year we planned on taking a taxi back to the Dolphin so as not to wait again, and lo and behold, the bus was there when we came out. lol I guess "you never know"! :goodvibes[/COLOR]

We are here at the Swan - checked in yesterday. Our deluxe alcove suite is very nice but the view is poor - overlooking the roof of the health center and some other roof, too. One plus, we can see Tower of Terror, Earful Tower and Everest out the dining room window.

I asked if they could change our room. We wanted a balcony and this room doesn't have one. They are moving us tomorrow.

We moved to our new room yesterday...alcove suite with balcony in the east wing-great view! Gotta love the S/D in doing everything to help its guests. :goodvibes

Oh good!!! I'm glad you are now happily situated! Have a great time!! :hippie:

We're back from the magic of Disney into the "real" world! :sad2: Always sad to come home.

The Swan as usual was so helpful in assisting us to move to a better view room. A view is important to us so of our 5 night stay, 3 were in a resort view room with balcony. We are loyal spg members and I believe that helps.

The resort was very busy...busier than I have seen before. I guess the secret about S/D is out! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter