• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The **New** Swan and Dolphin Resort thread ~ September 2010 ~ Please read post #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Everyone!
I have never stayed at the Swan/Dolphin before.
I want to do the Dolphin for my September trip.
I was thinking about getting AP's to use for this years trip, and another next September.
Has anyone used the AP rate recently? Is it worth it over any other discounts (AAA is the only other one I qualify for, and I just joined the starwood program) or anything like Travelocity?

Also, we usually rent a car when staying on Disney property- but with the parking fee I am considering not. Do you use a limo service? I swore off Mears many years ago.

Thanks everyone!! I am so excited to be able to walk to Epcot.
Bernie

Ok we are in the exact same situation with our trip in two weeks- mears seems soooo expensive, I found a groupon coupon this week (under Orlando, Sunshine Limo) for $50 you get a $100 GC. The expected round trip cost in a towncar sedan is 166 I think, so basically save $50.

Havent bought it yet but seriously considering it

Ok we are in the exact same situation with our trip in two weeks- mears seems soooo expensive, I found a groupon coupon this week (under Orlando, Sunshine Limo) for $50 you get a $100 GC. The expected round trip cost in a towncar sedan is 166 I think, so basically save $50.

Havent bought it yet but seriously considering it

I bought that Groupon the other day. The towncar priced out at $110 roundtrip (plus tip)...$60 with the coupon. You can't even take a taxi for that price!

I bought that Groupon the other day. The towncar priced out at $110 roundtrip (plus tip)...$60 with the coupon. You can't even take a taxi for that price!

Do you mean it is $60.00 total?? I booked mears & it is $136.00 for all 4 of us!! Wonder if I could cancel mears & do this??

Thanks so much Tara.....
I appreciate the info. I called and they said I have a one bedroom executive suite booked with 2 queens and a sleeper sofa in the parlor.
So I guess, I will wait until March and see if there are any upgrades , but I doubt it as it will be soooooo busy March 17th/18 th!

Also, I wanted to add that I got a rate of $349 a night for this suite.
Again, March break. How does that rate sound to you?
It's a teachers rate.
I also had a rate of $199 for a regular room, but we would have needed two, so the agent suggested the suite.
I am traveling with my family and brother in law and thinking maybe two rooms would be better...more room and more privacy. But then I saw the pics you posted, and changed my mind ( again !)
I guess if everyone thinks $349 for March is a pretty good deal, then I will keep the suite........
What do you think? 2rooms at Disneys value resort ( all -stars) for this time was $180 a night each room!!!!!!!!!! For a value!!!! Even with a discount or pin, it doesn't compare! So we are definitely staying at the Swan.....
Just need to figure out the rooms we will get.

I think that rate is great, I think you should keep it! I know MikeGood2 paid only $309 for his 1BR Exec Suite for June, but that's the lowest I've ever seen. We went this March the exact dates you're going next March, and the hotel was completely sold out. We paid $483/nt (total including fee & taxes)for the 2BR Exec Suite - which I think is high but we had 5 adults so it was cheaper for us than any WDW villa or combo of rooms.

Hi Everyone!
I have never stayed at the Swan/Dolphin before.
I want to do the Dolphin for my September trip.
I was thinking about getting AP's to use for this years trip, and another next September.
Has anyone used the AP rate recently? Is it worth it over any other discounts (AAA is the only other one I qualify for, and I just joined the starwood program) or anything like Travelocity?

Also, we usually rent a car when staying on Disney property- but with the parking fee I am considering not. Do you use a limo service? I swore off Mears many years ago.

Thanks everyone!! I am so excited to be able to walk to Epcot.
Bernie

Just so you know the AP rates are usually 50% off the rack rate of the Swan and Dolphin so it can vary. I've paid between $150-$175 a night using AP. Also you have to call to book an AP rate.
You might be able to do better if there are any specials going on (keep an eye on s/d website as a fall promotion should be showing up soon) and AAA is not that bad either.
We usually weigh out all of our options (best avail rate, AAA, AP and SPG points) when getting a room and we also book early, if a better rate comes out I am on the phone changing the reservations.

I booked it!

Ok so all this chatter about suites made me call AGAIN & see what was available for our November dates. I was told only Deluxe Alcove was available at The Dolphin for $236/nt but they couldn't guarantee 2 doubles plus sleeper sofa, vs. 1 king plus sleeper sofa, and we must have a minimum of 3 beds. He did say that had the 1BR Executive Suite been available it would have been $311/nt which is great!

So out of curiosity I go online through spg.com & 1BR Executive Suites DO come up as available. Hmmmmm....they are $338/nt plus fee & taxes...and include full breakfast for 2 each day in Fresh or Garden Grove. So I booked it! There was also availability for the Premium Studio, but that only sleeps 4.

We're not sure if we have 3, or 4 or 5 ladies coming, and this way the price is affordable if it's just 3, and there is room if we have 4 or 5. I did not have to leave a 1-nt deposit - I've always had to before. :confused3 It is refundable up to 7 days prior, so no worries there. I did get my email confirmation & all seems to be in place!

I'm still confused as to why he said the 1BR would have been $311 if it was available - and I paid $338 - I might call back tomorrow & see what's up with that. Maybe the $311 was the flat AAA rate, and the spg.com was the AAA Bed & Breakfast Rate. I will also try to confirm that this 1BR ES has the Murphy bed (or not!) I'll post back what they tell me about the Murphy Beds this time!

I booked it!

Ok so all this chatter about suites made me call AGAIN & see what was available for our November dates. I was told only Deluxe Alcove was available at The Dolphin for $236/nt but they couldn't guarantee 2 doubles plus sleeper sofa, vs. 1 king plus sleeper sofa, and we must have a minimum of 3 beds. He did say that had the 1BR Executive Suite been available it would have been $311/nt which is great!

So out of curiosity I go online through spg.com & 1BR Executive Suites DO come up as available. Hmmmmm....they are $338/nt plus fee & taxes...and include full breakfast for 2 each day in Fresh or Garden Grove. So I booked it! There was also availability for the Premium Studio, but that only sleeps 4.

We're not sure if we have 3, or 4 or 5 ladies coming, and this way the price is affordable if it's just 3, and there is room if we have 4 or 5. I did not have to leave a 1-nt deposit - I've always had to before. :confused3 It is refundable up to 7 days prior, so no worries there. I did get my email confirmation & all seems to be in place!

I'm still confused as to why he said the 1BR would have been $311 if it was available - and I paid $338 - I might call back tomorrow & see what's up with that. Maybe the $311 was the flat AAA rate, and the spg.com was the AAA Bed & Breakfast Rate. I will also try to confirm that this 1BR EC has the Murphy bed (or not!) I'll post back what they tell me about the Murphy Beds this time!

Congrats!! I'm really surprised you didn't have to put the 1-night deposit down! I wouldn't question it though! :thumbsup2 YAY for you! :woohoo:

I booked it!

I'm still confused as to why he said the 1BR would have been $311 if it was available - and I paid $338 - I might call back tomorrow & see what's up with that. Maybe the $311 was the flat AAA rate, and the spg.com was the AAA Bed & Breakfast Rate. I will also try to confirm that this 1BR ES has the Murphy bed (or not!) I'll post back what they tell me about the Murphy Beds this time!

Congrats Tara- Another fabulous trip to the Dolphin!

I have been to Disney many times and have always stayed on property. I am branching out and trying something different this year and booked the dolphin. My question is the other resorts offer the refillable mug deal. Does The Dolphin have anything comparable? Thanks in advance for the information!

Yes the Dolphin does offer refillable mugs. I purchased mine at Picabu's which is also where I refilled. I am not sure of the other places you can refill at the Dolphin.

Do you mean it is $60.00 total?? I booked mears & it is $136.00 for all 4 of us!! Wonder if I could cancel mears & do this??
I just checked the Groupon link and, unfortunately, it's not available anymore.

If I see a similar deal anywhere, I'll be sure to let you know.

I think that rate is great, I think you should keep it! I know MikeGood2 paid only $309 for his 1BR Exec Suite for June, but that's the lowest I've ever seen. We went this March the exact dates you're going next March, and the hotel was completely sold out. We paid $483/nt (total including fee & taxes)for the 2BR Exec Suite - which I think is high but we had 5 adults so it was cheaper for us than any WDW villa or combo of rooms.

Hey son3disfan, sounds like you got a great rate for your stay. I think we must have tried 6-8 variations of dates and most of the rates we were given, if they were available, were $360-$380. Even though we were looking at going a week later than we did, when they finally quoted $309, we changed those plans quickly :laughing:

It sounds like your group is similar to ours, I went with my brother, sister-in-law, and 2 nieces. We also looked into 2 bedrooms in other Disney resorts, but when they could not guaranty adjoining rooms, the s/d was the easy winner.

I think you will definitely prefer a suite over 2 standard rooms. I know that for our next trip, I think my sister-in-law (unofficially :laughing:) invited me on their next WDW vacation, we will be looking at another executive suite.

Whoo-hoo, in one week I'll be checking into the Dolphin!:banana::dance3:
We are leaving for Orlando on Monday but staying at Royal Pacific first. I can't wait to see the Dolphin!

Whoo-hoo, in one week I'll be checking into the Dolphin!:banana::dance3:
We are leaving for Orlando on Monday but staying at Royal Pacific first. I can't wait to see the Dolphin!
So exciting...have a wonderful trip!

Bet you'll have happy to leave the sweltering heat of NY for the relative coolness of Orlando! :rotfl:

I just checked the Groupon link and, unfortunately, it's not available anymore.

If I see a similar deal anywhere, I'll be sure to let you know.

Thanks!! When I saw your post, I researched...even w/o the coupon, it still would have been cheaper to do a town car than mears. Only problem is, Southwest wouldn't credit me for the transfers because our trip is less than 6 days away!!! :( Oh well, guess I'll know better next time!!

Don't hesitate this hotel is perfect. We are a family of 4 , kids 7&8 this hotel is awesome great location beautiful, we got a standard room, ninth floor great view, I have nothing bad to say about the Dolphin. Don't hesitate to book. Also pool is spectacular, good variety of food choices. No meal plan was NEVER a problem either in parks or at hotel. We had no reservations for meals and this wasn't ever an issue.

Hey son3disfan, sounds like you got a great rate for your stay. I think we must have tried 6-8 variations of dates and most of the rates we were given, if they were available, were $360-$380. Even though we were looking at going a week later than we did, when they finally quoted $309, we changed those plans quickly :laughing:

It sounds like your group is similar to ours, I went with my brother, sister-in-law, and 2 nieces. We also looked into 2 bedrooms in other Disney resorts, but when they could not guaranty adjoining rooms, the s/d was the easy winner.

I think you will definitely prefer a suite over 2 standard rooms. I know that for our next trip, I think my sister-in-law (unofficially :laughing:) invited me on their next WDW vacation, we will be looking at another executive suite.
:thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2
I really appreciate this feedback!
I needed to know that it was a good rate at high season. Everyone on here is so knowledgable! Thanks!

My poor DH LITERALLY fell off his chair when I told him the room was $400, all taxes/ fees in.
Especially since , the cruise we are taking before our stay...is the most we have ever paid. This is our 5th cruise and March break is soooooo expensive. But we have no choice with my job now...

I am getting so excited. Reading everyone's posts has been so helpful!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter