The **New** Swan and Dolphin Resort thread ~ September 2010 ~ Please read post #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Mike!

Yes all rooms have a coffee maker - they are the single serve pod style. The Starbucks coffee packets they provide free in-room are single serve size. Every day you'll get 2 packets of regular & 1 packet of decaf, per machine (plus cream, sugar, napkins, stirrers & sturdy paper hot/cold cups with lids so you can take it with you). In a 1BR Executive Suite you'll have 2 coffee machines. In a 2BR Executive Suite you'll have 3 machines.

And if you want extra coffee, regular and/or decaf, just ask any housekeeper in the halls during the day and they will give you all you want.

If I recall, the rooms all both wi-fi and wired.

there were retractable ethernet cords on the desk in the room
BTW here is picture of the coffee maker in the room:

DSCF0722.jpg

Hey Cassiek, hope this helps.

Thank you for the coffee pictures! When you say pod-style, does that mean they are like Keurigs?

For those of you with the $129 rate...

Where can i find that?

We check in May 29th with AAA rate of $169 (i think).

thanks

I first found it through expedia, but they only had '4 rooms left' at that price. Travelocity still had it, but a few days later after I booked it, I checked and travelocity didn't have it anymore.

We had to pay up front and it's 100% non-refundable. Our trip is 5/21-5/29.

Another question...our plane lands at 11:30 pm on 5/21, should I call the hotel to let them know that we aren't going to be checking in until around 1 am on 5/22?

Hi Belle - often times when were arriving late, like you, we called and had them note it in our reservations.
Looks like our trips will overlap for a few days. :)

Belle- the coffe pods are not like the K-Cups for Keurig machines, they're the soft pod packets for single use. I think Maxwell House used to sell them, but not sure.

We arrived once after 1am & they were smiling & welcoming just the same as at any other time! It wasn't even empty in the lobby, there was someone else checking in & activity all around!

Thank you so much for all the information on the Swan and Dolphin!

I just booked a room for 2012 (April 1-7), the latter portion coinciding with Easter weekend. I got a rate of $199 for a resort view with balcony. When they entered the reservation, they put me down as 5th floor, boat launch view. Considering the 2011 prices for a moderate resort were $224 for the same "easter" dates, I figured I can't go wrong, especially with the location.
Is this a good rate and view???

Also, I forgot to add my Starwood number. Can I add it my reservation now? And, if available, would an upgrade be to an Epcot view?

Thanks for answering my newbie questions! I've been to WDW over 20 times, but never staying in the Crescent Lake area.

:goodvibes

going in 1 month exactly!!!

We are staying in the dolphin. Will probably do a lot of quick service there. Any recommendations in regards to the restaurants or selections? We will do one adult nite at Blue Zoo while DS in in the kids club.

Also how is the coffee they provide in the room? Sometimes I think the coffee packets for hotels make coffee flavored water rather than coffee! Need a good cup first thing in the am to get to rope drop!! Also, has anyone asked for an extra coffee maker in a standard room? DH will be much more tolerant of getting up for rope drop if I already have his coffee made!!

thanks to everyone for all your good advice!

Fresh brewed coffee is available at the Lobby Bar in the morning... (DH says MUCH better than the inroom version - but he'll drink that if he HAS to....lol)
The Lobby Bar has contintenal breakfast type options also - bagels, donuts, danish, fruit, etc....

Love the Lobby Bar! I am the early riser. I go there every morning to get the family coffees and some pastries to bring back to the room. I need to get them going...a World awaits us! :wizard:

Fresh brewed coffee is available at the Lobby Bar in the morning... (DH says MUCH better than the inroom version - but he'll drink that if he HAS to....lol)
The Lobby Bar has contintenal breakfast type options also - bagels, donuts, danish, fruit, etc....
Really? I have thought since they went to the Starbucks in the rooms the coffee has been great. And I do consider myself a bit of a coffee snob, LOL. :snooty: :teeth: At home, I am a grind the beans every morning person, using high quality beans. And while there, I do ask for quite a few extra coffees, drinking a fair number of cups a day. To me, the coffee at the two (both S/D) Lobby coffee/fruit/sweet roll bars, tastes the same, good. In any case, S/D has good coffee, probably the best on property. :surfweb: :woohoo:

Really? I have thought since they went to the Starbucks in the rooms the coffee has been great. And I do consider myself a bit of a coffee snob, LOL. :snooty: :teeth: At home, I am a grind the beans every morning person, using high quality beans. And while there, I do ask for quite a few extra coffees, drinking a fair number of cups a day. To me, the coffee at the two (both S/D) Lobby coffee/fruit/sweet roll bars, tastes the same, good. In any case, S/D has good coffee, probably the best on property. :surfweb: :woohoo:

I'm happy about the Starbucks, but I know my SO will want to go to the lobby. To him, if you aren't making 8+ cups at once, it tastes weird so I doubt we'll use the in-room one.

Is the lobby coffee/pastry bar free, and how late is stuff out?

I've never been to disney world as a coffee drinker, all these new things to consider, lol.

Few questions for some of the repeat S/D visitors:

With 2 young girls and not knowing how their schedules will be effected by the trip we have decided to leave our eating options open and have only scheduled 2 or 3 ADR’s. Which S/D quick service or casual places do you like to eat at and are their any items on their menus that you suggest/prefer? Also, are their any other places, maybe on the boardwalk that you like?

Would also like get anyone’s opinion or our tentative plans for the day we arrive at the S/D. Or plane arrives at 12:30 and we plan to get a Tiffany Towncar Van with grocery stop. When we arrive at the Dolphin, hopefully the exec.suites ready, we plan on getting situated and relax or enjoy the pool for an hour or two. After that we plan on walking the Boardwalk (stretch out or legs) and hit Epcot to get something to eat and let the girls visit their first park at WDW. Hopefully the fairies will still be there in June. :scared1: WOW, I can’t be live I just typed that, the fairies are one of my nieces favorites so they are for HER. :rotfl: Also, she is sometimes frightened by people in costumes, so it would be a great indicator of what we can expect for the trip. EMH are at the MK the next morning so, we want to enjoy someplace else first. Does this sound like a decent plan?

Feel free to give any advice or suggestions.

Leaving soon:cool1: a couple of quick questions...

Do the buses to MK, AK run frequently(we stayed at BC last year). Planning on rope drop(7am MK) so bus by 6:15ish?? does it make more sense to drive to AK or take buses?

Any info on characters at Garden Grove at dinner??

Mike - the Dolphin's "quick service" takeout or eat in their dining room is Picabu. They also have a small must have section for any last minute things you may need (more expensive, I think).

Try Fresh for either a most incredible breakfast/lunch buffet experience. If your nieces like pancakes, ask Louis, the breakfast chef, to make his famous mickey pancakes, or choc chip pancakes! If you sit in their restaurant, and get Debra as your server, she is a veritable storehouse of knowledge abut Disney and is one of many excellent waitstaff servers.

Last but not least, the Fountain..... incredible burgers, etc... and the best sundaes going!!
You do have a number of choices. Enjoy. Can't wait to get back myself..:thumbsup2

Boardwalk Bakery is a nice choice also...sweet rolls, coffee, juice, milk.

Lobby bar coffee is not free, unless you had a refillable mug. I think it is free then.

Garden Grove has nice buffet breakfast also.

Remember the AAA discount on all these and those mentioned by Caroline above.

Buses run great, never a problem.

From Deb's site.........

Garden Grove Dinner in the Swan Hotel opens at 5:30 pm nightly and has the following character entertainment: Monday and Friday - Timon and Rafiki; All other nights Goofy and Pluto.
http://allears.net/din/cb.htm#hotels

Hi Dissers,

I realize Dolphin charges a parking fee. We are renting a car from MCO to Dolphin to pickup some stuff from Super Target and then drop off near Downtown Disney. When I check in with my groceries and luggage, will the Dolphin charge us the $10 parking fee, or will they allow us 20 minutes grace to check in?

Thanks,

I just booked a room for 2012 (April 1-7), the latter portion coinciding with Easter weekend. I got a rate of $199 for a resort view with balcony. When they entered the reservation, they put me down as 5th floor, boat launch view. Considering the 2011 prices for a moderate resort were $224 for the same "easter" dates, I figured I can't go wrong, especially with the location.

Also, I forgot to add my Starwood number. Can I add it my reservation now? And, if available, would an upgrade be to an Epcot view?

Thanks for answering my newbie questions! I've been to WDW over 20 times, but never staying in the Crescent Lake area.

Wow, how did you get that rate for a "resort view" ?? If you don't mind me asking? I booked same week and best I had found was $199 standard view... are you govt or teacher??

Thanks. :goodvibes

Yes! This is a great view! You should be able to hear the horns on the ferries as they arrive at the dock. Here is a picture so you can see what you might be looking at! You can always add your Starwood number either by calling in or during check in. As far as an upgrade if its available you might get one to a higher floor (ask - you never know)
DSCF0080.jpg

Which S/D quick service or casual places do you like to eat at and are their any items on their menus that you suggest/prefer? Also, are their any other places, maybe on the boardwalk that you like? Would also like get anyone’s opinion or our tentative plans for the day we arrive at the S/D. Feel free to give any advice or suggestions.

Picabu is great because its open 24hrs which is a plus because most of the other resort eateries are closed by 11pm. Ditto info on Fresh that is always a great experience and I also love the bakery over at the Boardwalk.
Your first day plans sounds fine. One of the best things to do is explore the resort and see where you get the buses to the parks, find out where the places to eatare , figure out the best route to get to the ferry. Have a great time especially when meeting the Fairies! They are alot of fun and that was a highlight of a trip I toook about 3 years ago!!

Leaving soon:cool1: a couple of quick questions...Do the buses to MK, AK run frequently(we stayed at BC last year). Planning on rope drop(7am MK) so bus by 6:15ish?? does it make more sense to drive to AK or take buses?
I've done MK rope drop from the Dolphin by the bus with no issues. Buses run an hour before the park opens so just be ready to go!

Hi Dissers,

I realize Dolphin charges a parking fee. We are renting a car from MCO to Dolphin to pickup some stuff from Super Target and then drop off near Downtown Disney. When I check in with my groceries and luggage, will the Dolphin charge us the $10 parking fee, or will they allow us 20 minutes grace to check in?

Thanks,

Welcome to DISboards!
Not sure if they still do the grace period or not. I know I have done it before. Since S/D feels like home, we just pass the entrance and go straight to self park and do everything ourselves.

Hi Dissers,

Thanks,

The paid parking lot is across the "street"-simply inform the bellmen that you are leaving car at entrance while you check in:)

Love that pic!

Yes! This is a great view! You should be able to hear the horns on the ferries as they arrive at the dock. Here is a picture so you can see what you might be looking at! You can always add your Starwood number either by calling in or during check in. As far as an upgrade if its available you might get one to a higher floor (ask - you never know)
DSCF0080.jpg

Picabu is great because its open 24hrs which is a plus because most of the other resort eateries are closed by 11pm. Ditto info on Fresh that is always a great experience and I also love the bakery over at the Boardwalk.
Your first day plans sounds fine. One of the best things to do is explore the resort and see where you get the buses to the parks, find out where the places to eatare , figure out the best route to get to the ferry. Have a great time especially when meeting the Fairies! They are alot of fun and that was a highlight of a trip I toook about 3 years ago!!

I've done MK rope drop from the Dolphin by the bus with no issues. Buses run an hour before the park opens so just be ready to go!

Welcome to DISboards!
Not sure if they still do the grace period or not. I know I have done it before. Since S/D feels like home, we just pass the entrance and go straight to self park and do everything ourselves.

Wow, how did you get that rate for a "resort view" ?? If you don't mind me asking? I booked same week and best I had found was $199 standard view... are you govt or teacher??

Thanks. :goodvibes

I got the rate through the teacher discount. The standard view would have been $159, resort view $179, resort view with balcony or Epcot view with no balcony $199 and then Epcot view with balcony $234.

Thanks for the photo ... I am sure I will enjoy my morning coffee watching the ferriers. Are the horns very loud?

Also, I read on here that most of the restaurants at the S&D give AAA discounts? Does anyone know if they include CAA (canadian auto assoc) in that as well? And what are the discounts?

Thanks again!

I got the rate through the teacher discount. The standard view would have been $159, resort view $179, resort view with balcony or Epcot view with no balcony $199 and then Epcot view with balcony $234.

Thanks for the photo ... I am sure I will enjoy my morning coffee watching the ferriers. Are the horns very loud?

Also, I read on here that most of the restaurants at the S&D give AAA discounts? Does anyone know if they include CAA (canadian auto assoc) in that as well? And what are the discounts?

Thanks again!

Oh so if you get an upgrade it would be a room with a balcony (if its available)

It's a 20% discount and yes they do take CAA as well! Have a great time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter