• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The **New** Swan and Dolphin Resort thread ~ April 2012 ~ Please read post #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds good to me, Ray. The staff there is amazing.

I have been following the weather from icy Chicago, looks like about as ideal as can be...lower 80's in the day, 60's at night. :sunny: A lot better than below zero here, wind chills about 15 below and snow. :cold:

Enjoy the balance of your trip, Ray, hope to see you next year, :cool1:

Sounds good to me, Ray. The staff there is amazing.

I have been following the weather from icy Chicago, looks like about as ideal as can be...lower 80's in the day, 60's at night. :sunny: A lot better than below zero here, wind chills about 15 below and snow. :cold:

Enjoy the balance of your trip, Ray, hope to see you next year, :cool1:

The weather has been perfect since Monday, December 2, 2012. T-shirt weather day and night. No rain at all even at night while asleep.

I haven't experienced this nice of weather in December for so many days ever.

But all the rooms seem to be filled in almost all of the resorts and each park and MVMCP nights have been very crowded every day until today.

You better be here next year. I want you to take care of yourself, too.

Had my first stay here (Dolphin) the first week of December. Loved it. Would definitely stay there again.

I was a little worried about not having the Magic Bands, and not having advance FP+, but the way it works for SD guests right now is actually pretty phenomenal.

As mentioned in the thread, when you get to the park where you want to make your FP+ for, for that day, you just stop at the SD kiosk. If there are not enough FP/FP+ remaining for your first choice ride, they immediately hand you a no frills FP. Which can be used anytime you want, on any ride you want for your whole group (it's a one time ticket).

Because we would wait until we got to our evening park to do FP+, we ended up with one of these no frills FP every single day. Plus, you still get to make 3 FP+ choices for that park for that day.

On top of that, there are still rides using the legacy FP machines. And, since we had actual park passes versus magic bands, we could use the legacy FP machines too.

So we would have a day something like this. Head to MK in the morning. Use the legacy FP machines at Splash, Thunder, and SM. Back to the awesome SD pool for a bit. Over to Epcot in the evening. Get to the SD Kiosk to find out our first choice ride (Soarin) wasn't available. Get handed a no frills FP. Then make the standard FP+ reservations for whatever else.

We thought we had the best deal going the way they're handling it right now.

I am having an absolutely wonderful time at the Disney Swan Resort. The weather is beautiful, the room is beautiful, the service is wonderful, the food is wonderful, and all of the staff...every single staff person that I have come in contact with has shown me above excellent service and help at both the Swan and Dolphin Resorts.

Here is the pdf file from my room internet connection at the Swan Resort detailing information about the Fast Pass and maps of the staff location below.

www.swandolphin.com/res_email/fastpass.pdf

Ray - it was great to see you! You were one of only a few DIS people I encountered, but that's mostly because I avoided the "park of the day" where the internet fan groups congregated. Enjoy the rest of your stay at the Swan!

I agree that the weather was practically perfect in every way - even though I prefer temps in the 70s during the day rather than the 80s.

The Swan was wonderful, as always! I loved smelling chocolate every time I entered - due to the chocolate Santa scene in the lobby. :)

I used the Fastpass + kiosks at the MK, DHS, and Epcot (twice), and was able to get what I wanted most of the time. I also got a few paper fastpasses. However, I can't imagine how much harder it will be to get a fastpass when all WDW guests are able to book 3 per day.

Ray - it was great to see you! You were one of only a few DIS people I encountered, but that's mostly because I avoided the "park of the day" where the internet fan groups congregated. Enjoy the rest of your stay at the Swan!

I agree that the weather was practically perfect in every way - even though I prefer temps in the 70s during the day rather than the 80s.

The Swan was wonderful, as always! I loved smelling chocolate every time I entered - due to the chocolate Santa scene in the lobby. :)

I used the Fastpass + kiosks at the MK, DHS, and Epcot (twice), and was able to get what I wanted most of the time. I also got a few paper fastpasses. However, I can't imagine how much harder it will be to get a fastpass when all WDW guests are able to book 3 per day.

Hi, Nancy. It was great to see you, too. Tonight was the first night that I had to wear a jacket. They say that it is only 50 F., and wind 10-15 mph, but it felt cold to most people at night when the sun went down. No rain still. Beautiful days and I am glad that I took my jacket with me tonight. Almost everyone was wearing a warm up jacket or regular jacket. Some poor folks were obviously cold tonight wearing only shorts.

Had my first stay here (Dolphin) the first week of December. Loved it. Would definitely stay there again.

I was a little worried about not having the Magic Bands, and not having advance FP+, but the way it works for SD guests right now is actually pretty phenomenal.

As mentioned in the thread, when you get to the park where you want to make your FP+ for, for that day, you just stop at the SD kiosk. If there are not enough FP/FP+ remaining for your first choice ride, they immediately hand you a no frills FP. Which can be used anytime you want, on any ride you want for your whole group (it's a one time ticket).

Because we would wait until we got to our evening park to do FP+, we ended up with one of these no frills FP every single day. Plus, you still get to make 3 FP+ choices for that park for that day.

On top of that, there are still rides using the legacy FP machines. And, since we had actual park passes versus magic bands, we could use the legacy FP machines too.

So we would have a day something like this. Head to MK in the morning. Use the legacy FP machines at Splash, Thunder, and SM. Back to the awesome SD pool for a bit. Over to Epcot in the evening. Get to the SD Kiosk to find out our first choice ride (Soarin) wasn't available. Get handed a no frills FP. Then make the standard FP+ reservations for whatever else.

We thought we had the best deal going the way they're handling it right now.

This makes me SO much happier to stay at the Dolphin!!!!! I was really worried that we would be shut out of the "big" rides, and while we really only have 1 "big" ride at each park, I was sure we would miss the safari at AK since we won't arrive there until after noon (there is no way around that).

Thank you SO much for sharing this! :goodvibes

Had a great stay at the Dolphin 12/4-12/8. We had a standard room booked and were upgraded to a resort view room with balcony at check-in:goodvibes We were on the 3rd floor looking out on the walkway between Swan/Dolphin. It was great to sit out on the balcony and watch the holiday light display on the palm trees.

We didn't use the buses much since we were focused on Epcot/HS for those days. The one evening we did take the bus to get to MK for the Christmas Party they were very slow to come and every bus that did arrive was full, so a few people would squeeze on and off it would go. Very frustrating, but we made it there eventually.

The holiday decorations were lovely:thumbsup2

Dinner at Kimonos was great as always!

The rooms really do seem dated for the price point. I like the decor, but things just generally seem worn. The bathrooms really need an upgrade... black mildew in the tiles and the kind of dirt/dust that probably wouldn't go away no matter how much they scrubbed. There was cobwebs in the lamps, a dead bug on the ceiling... nothing that was a big deal, but overall the room just seemed old and a bit dirty. We stayed at Coronado after the Dolphin and the rooms there were much nicer in my opinion. The beds are still as comfy as ever though:thumbsup2

The pool (and pool bar) are awesome! Really enjoyed spending an afternoon there.

We had a mixed experience with FP+ that definitely worked out in our favor. The first day we arrived at Epcot around 10 and FP for Soarin and Test Track were out to around 8 pm already. He scanned our APs and said there was an issue with them that can't be fixed so he would just give us paper tickets. He followed the tiering system and gave us 2 re-entry tickets that could be used at Maelstrom, Living with the Land, or Mission Space, along with a No Strings Attached pass for Soarin (to be used at any time). The next day we arrived around 11 and from what we heard Soarin FP was already gone. The woman had the same issue scanning our APs and wrote us 2 No Strings Attached passes good for any attraction. From what I saw they were generally following the FP+ system, but if there was any sort of issue they were very quick to issue paper fastpasses and send you on your way. We appreciated this as there were huge lines outside Guest Services and the My Magic+ kiosks every time we saw them.

Overall we had a great stay and will definitely be back. The location simply cannot be beat for the kind of trips that we take:)

I'm at Swan now - arrived yesterday. The tree at Dolphin is something we've grown to love, but I'm disappointed that the little train that always circled it is gone. :worried:

The lights/music on the causeway are a nice touch! I'm enjoying it! :thumbsup2

The train is back up, and Disney characters are riding it around the base. It appeared some time this morning as at 2 am it wasn't there, but by lunch it had appeared.

The train is back up, and Disney characters are riding it around the base. It appeared some time this morning as at 2 am it wasn't there, but by lunch it had appeared.

Thanks for the update! :thumbsup2 I was wondering if they'd removed it for a liability issue (for little kids, it looks like perfect "riding" size! :idea:).

Glad to hear it's back! :goodvibes

We just booked for 2 nights on the 26th and 27th at the Swan. My husband turns 30 on the 27th & actually has it off of work (first time in 10 years!) Swan was actually cheaper than the Disney Moderate resorts so it was a no brainer where to stay for this trip.

As we have annual passes and have magic bands from previous trips, we were able to make our Fastpass+ reservations already.

We will be there on Thursday! I hope the weather still holds out for us! It's freezing here and I loathe the snow!!!! We are packing and getting so excited!!!!:cool2:

SO super glad I read this thread today! I have been dreading the FP+/Magic Band saga knowing that I am unable to do it before I get there! Thanks for the great information. Now I hope to be able to understand it all!!!!:thumbsup2

I am at MVMCP now waiting for the 1030pm parade to get to the front Christmas Tree. I have a wonderful view down Mainstreet of the castle. It's snowing! I have had such a wonderful time at the Disney Swan Resort. Love the FP and Dolphin Christmas Tree and train, too.

I am at MVMCP now waiting for the 1030pm parade to get to the front Christmas Tree. I have a wonderful view down Mainstreet of the castle. It's snowing! I have had such a wonderful time at the Disney Swan Resort. Love the FP and Dolphin Christmas Tree and train, too.

Glad your trip is so magical, Ray! :wizard:

It was great seeing you at DISApalooza (even though it was only for a brief moment to say "hi!"). Hope to see you again (and a healthy Mr Dan Murphy! ;)) next time! ::yes::

:thumbsup2

Nancy, the only time I saw Santa out on the concourse was the evening of 12/6 -- just before I headed to DHS for the party! :)

Just finished our stay at Dolphin a couple days ago and here's my thoughts.

The good:
Beautiful hotel. I actually liked the tree and train. I also really liked the decorated revolving doors and beautiful starry ceiling in the entry way.

We had a great view! We were upgraded to an eighth floor pool view, and it was amazing.

The bed made me want to just stay there all day. It was nicer than my bed at home, and I loved the soft fluffy pillows as well.

I also liked all the Christmas activities available and other amenities like the in room Christmas movies. I just wish we could have stayed longer to enjoy everything. I really wanted to see Santa in his Tiki hut, and I wanted to swim, but we didn't have time for either.

All the hotel staff were very friendly and helpful. (when u could find them)

The 24 hour cafeteria was nice after coming back late at night.

We must have timed it right because we never waited more than 10 minutes for a bus or boat to come by. It was a pretty quick trip after that to the parks.

The so so:
It is not the easiest hotel to find your way around. It took me awhile to get the layout of the hotel. The way the lobby is laid out with the big tree, huge columns, and low outer ceiling, it makes it hard to see what is where. The tree looks the same from all sides, so its not a good landmark for orienting yourself, and it blocks everything else you might use. You can also only reach certain floors of the hotel from certain elevators which also made it a little more complicated to get around. By the end of the stay, I had it all figured out, but it was a bit confusing the first few days or if I tried to go somewhere new.

I could never figure out how to get the phone check out to work. It sounded easy in theory, but was actually complicated in practice. Maybe we just had a bad phone, but I never could get it to work.

The bad:
Self Parking. I will never self park here again. They won't let you pull up and unload or checkin at curbside first. Valet only has this privilege. If you self check you must carry all your stuff from the parking lot, and it is not close.

There also were not enough parking spaces, so people were parked in the aisles, making a small crowded parking lot that much worse.

Our second parking related issue was that our room key wouldn't work to open the gate. I don't think it was just ours either. I noticed many other cars with issues as well, but this was a minor annoyance as we used the public transport mostly.

The whole stay the only thing that really annoyed me was that there weren't enough people available to check in or help with anything. The Guest Relations counter was vacant every time we went past. The checkin counter never had more than 2 people at it, except the morning we checked out, and then only 4. For a hotel this size, that is just unacceptable to me when you have lines of people.

It wouldn't have bothered me as much if half the people in the line weren't there for some other reason. No one could get checked in because the people behind the counter were too busy having 10-15 min conversations about what to do at Disney, helping with a problem, giving advice, directions, ect. All things Guest Relations or the Concierge should be handling, only those counters were always empty, so people had no choice but to go to the checkin desk for help.

On top of this, one night one of the two available people was having a private conversation with two friends. This lasted for at least 20 minutes while they discussed football and other things not hotel related. The lady in front of us in line was beyond irritated with the situation. She had been waiting longer than us. There were only two other people at the counter, both handling a complicated issue for the same person, one of them a supervisor who had only come over to help with the issue. The lady in front of us finally got so annoyed she asked the supervisor to do something about the other employee who was just hanging out with his friends as we were all just waiting here while he had his personal conversation, but the supervisor didn't do anything. She looked over, then went back to work. Kind of an I have bigger issues to worry about right now attitude. Maybe she didn't realize this had been going on for a long time. Maybe he was on a break. I have no idea, but if he was on break, he should have it somewhere not at the counter, and they should have more than 1 or 2 people at the counter to begin with. Guest relations was empty again, every counter but check in was empty. We all just had to wait until the guest with the issue was taken care of. Not sure if the guy ever stopped hanging out with his friends as he was still talking to them when we left, leaving all the work to the one other employee.

Another time, we actually got the bell hop to help us after waiting 15 min in a line that wasn't moving as he was the only other person around.

Maybe we just have bad timing, but we walked through that lobby on week days, on weekends, in the morning, afternoon, evening, even the middle of the night, and every time there weren't enough people behind the counter and the other counters were empty.

This is my only real complaint about the hotel. I would definitely like to see the counters staffed better on future visits, but overall we loved the Dolphin, and once you got to a person, they were very nice, professional, friendly, and helpful. I would stay here again despite the small in inconveniences.

RachelTori said:
Glad your trip is so magical, Ray! :wizard:

It was great seeing you at DISApalooza (even though it was only for a brief moment to say "hi!"). Hope to see you again (and a healthy Mr Dan Murphy! ;)) next time! ::yes::

:thumbsup2

Great seeing you, too. Wishes for health and happiness for you, too.

I talked with tech support yesterday trying to link out 8 year old non-expiring tickets to MDE. The really nice cast member said that linking tics helps you get through the fastpass selection process quicker. He said there were no plans that he was aware of to give magic bands to Swan/Dolphin guests. However, they do plan to have fast pass selection kiosks in the resorts at some point. He advised us to be prepared for changes between now and our July trip.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter