The **New** Swan and Dolphin Resort thread ~ April 2012 ~ Please read post #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I stay at the Swan most trips. I have stayed at the Dolphin twice. I prefer the smaller, quieter, more compact layout of the Swan, Dolphin is too big and spread out. I generally do visit the Dolphin every day, usually for some meal, whether Picabu, Fresh or the Fountain. The Garden Grove in the Swan is a nice buffet restaurant, also character meals. The pool area is equidistant from both resorts, lying at one end of the property between the two. If you might be doing laundry often, Dolphin does have the laundry facility.

The Cabana Bar on the Dolphin side and the Splash Terrace on the Swan side make for nice relaxing with light meal and/or drinks.

Regardless which you stay at, both are only yards from each other, so getting back and forth is but literally a couple minutes walk time. And if raining, the walk area has a covered section also.

This linked aerial gives you a pretty good idea of the layout. You can zoom in/out, rotate, etc.

http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=nq...vY2FsU2NvdXRUYXNrJTI0JTI0MiUyMiUzQW51bGwlN0Q=

Thanks for the info! If walking from swan to dolphin, I don't see a covered path...can you point it out? Also, can you bring laundry from swan to dolphin or is that tacky?

Hello!

I can't answer for the TIW/AAA question... But I highly recommend Tiffany Towncar. You can book online and get a coupon... We paid $130 plus tip round trip for a family of five. If you are only 4 and can fit in a town car, the fee should be less. They were very prompt and professional. And will supply car/booster seats at no charge. My three year old needed a car seat and it was clean and safe. They will also stop at a grocery store at no charge for supplies if you like.

Have a great trip!

I'm not the OP to this but I just wanted to say Thanks Cindy for the info about Tiffany Towncar. They are exactly what we were looking for. We plan to use them in October and December since we are staying at the Swan both times. They should really be giving you a referral fee, I might not have found them otherwise :thanks:

I am now officially getting excited for our first stay at Dolphin...:cool1: my fam is Disney spoiled,and I hope it all goes well, they just love being on property,I think I'm going to love walking to Epcot even more! Is Picabu a restaurant?

Also, has anyone stayed recently? The trip advisor reviews are pretty terrible, and many people comment it was nice but has gone down hill :( I always take reviews with a grain of salt...

I just got back from an 8 night stay (7 at the Swan and 1 at the Dolphin). Althought the Swan is a Westin property and the Dolphin is a Sheraton I found little difference between the two. I travel quite a bit for work and stay at Westins which are usually way more deluxe than the Swan. Our room at the Swan was fine - clean and the beds are indeed Heavenly! We had to move to the Dolphn for one night because the Swan was sold out the last night of our stay. The room at the Dolphin unfortunately was dirty. The toilet was noticeably dirty. There was food crumbs on the floor near the sink and on the counter near the coffee maker. As we were only there to sleep and I travel with Clorox wipes, I tidied up and did not bother to call anyone to complain. I am sure if I did they would have made amends and I want to stress this can happen at any of the resorts. IMO, I do not think the accomadations are as deluxe as some of the other Disney deluxe hotels but for the price you simply cannot beat the location. I think if you understand that before staying you will not be dissappointed. The location and all the surrounding restaurants are wonderful!

Thanks for the info! If walking from swan to dolphin, I don't see a covered path...can you point it out? Also, can you bring laundry from swan to dolphin or is that tacky?
Click the zoom one or two times to zone in on the walkway. The open walk is in the middle, both sides are covered, color is greenish.

Laundry? Tacky? Heck no, I see plenty of people walking with what I think is maybe laundry. I would keep it in a bag though, not just in your arms, you might lose a sock, LOL.

Click the zoom one or two times to zone in on the walkway. The open walk is in the middle, both sides are covered, color is greenish.

Laundry? Tacky? Heck no, I see plenty of people walking with what I think is maybe laundry. I would keep it in a bag though, not just in your arms, you might lose a sock, LOL.

Ohhhhh, I see the cover now, thanks!

Lol, lose a sock....too funny!

The Swan and Dolphin are Starwood Starpicks today -- you need to book by this Friday for travel through 9/11/13. I clicked on some random date in September just to see the rate and it was $129 at the Dolphin. I'm not traveling during this time, but just FYI in case anyone is and could use this rate.

I'm not the OP to this but I just wanted to say Thanks Cindy for the info about Tiffany Towncar. They are exactly what we were looking for. We plan to use them in October and December since we are staying at the Swan both times. They should really be giving you a referral fee, I might not have found them otherwise :thanks:

Aww, thanks! But truly the credit goes to all the Disboards peeps without whom I would not have found the info. I am just happy to pay it forward. I have had two awesome Disney vacations thanks to all the info I have been able to find here. Thank you Disboards!!

Is there a direct number to the Swan to call? When we do our split stay I think I want to request early check in. Would be be possible to call the night before and ask if they think they will have a room available early? If the answer is no we will take our time going over there. But if the answer is yes we want to get over as soon as possible so we can enjoy our day.

What are the odds of the rate going down for the first week of December (I guess historically, what's been the best rate you've received). I have a resort view room at the Swan booked for 11/30 - 12/6 w/AAA resort credit for $233/night. Just curious if I may see better than that. I also have a room booked at POFQ for slightly less. Trying to decide which one to keep.

What are the odds of the rate going down for the first week of December (I guess historically, what's been the best rate you've received). I have a resort view room at the Swan booked for 11/30 - 12/6 w/AAA resort credit for $233/night. Just curious if I may see better than that. I also have a room booked at POFQ for slightly less. Trying to decide which one to keep.

You could call and ask them. They were very helpful when I called to find out what the teacher rates had been during a few different weeks last year for comparison.

What time do the buses start picking up at the Swan/Dolphin for MK on normal opening of 9am? We are booking a tour at MK and are wondering if we just need to take a taxi.

Thanks!
Kerry

First buses, in all of WDW, start running at 6:30, for the early morning meals. Buses will come by some time soon after that time.

How early can you check in? 6am? If you check in early does that put you further up in the que to get a room quicker? Meaning, if we check in at 7am do we have a better shot at getting at room at 11am than a person who checks in at 10am (w the same room type)?

How early can you check in? 6am? If you check in early does that put you further up in the que to get a room quicker? Meaning, if we check in at 7am do we have a better shot at getting at room at 11am than a person who checks in at 10am (w the same room type)?

I would call the hotel and ask what's the earliest you may check in.

As far as room availability goes, there's no guarantee of how early a room will be available for you. I personally have checked in as early as 8 or 9am or so because I was hopping from the other property (changing from Swan to Dolphin or vice-versa). When it's that early, I anticipate my room not being ready and have my bags packed to be stored with bell services. However, there have been occasions in which I've been pleasantly surprised to find a room is ready for me.

I find that they tend to pre-assign rooms, though, so I would guess that your best bet for an earlier availability on the room would be to have it noted on your reservation that you'll be arriving early. I would think that would give you the best shot of being assigned a room that may not be waiting for a prior guest to vacate it when you check in.

I would call the hotel and ask what's the earliest you may check in.

As far as room availability goes, there's no guarantee of how early a room will be available for you. I personally have checked in as early as 8 or 9am or so because I was hopping from the other property (changing from Swan to Dolphin or vice-versa). When it's that early, I anticipate my room not being ready and have my bags packed to be stored with bell services. However, there have been occasions in which I've been pleasantly surprised to find a room is ready for me.

I find that they tend to pre-assign rooms, though, so I would guess that your best bet for an earlier availability on the room would be to have it noted on your reservation that you'll be arriving early. I would think that would give you the best shot of being assigned a room that may not be waiting for a prior guest to vacate it when you check in.

Thanks, that makes sense. I will call and put the request on the reservation. Is there a direct number to the Swan by chance? I want to put it in my folder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter