The **New** Swan and Dolphin Resort thread ~ April 2012 ~ Please read post #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
We are heading to the Swan in a little over a month!! So excited. It I'd the first time we have been there as a family. I had been previously for a work function but it has been many years so the info on this thread has been fantastic. We are going with our niece who is participating in a dance competition, so the room rates we got are fantastic however it is a standard view. Question - what is the best room request for a standard view? Ideally I would love to be close to pool with the best view a standard can offer. Any advice would be appreciated!

My family and I just returned from a Disney vacation where we stayed at the Swan Hotel and the best word to describe our time at the Swan? Disappointing. Perhaps my expectations were too high...to fully give you a sense of my perspective, I am a SPG Gold member who spends over 100 nights a year in hotels (mostly Marriott followed by SPG). I know what good service looks like, and I have high expectations for a Disney property and a "Westin" SPG property. After being treated well at Starwood properties when I travel for business, I expected my family to receive the same service when we traveled for leisure...but this was far from it.

First, to be fair, the good points:
- great pool area. Fun music, attentive pool staff, plenty of chairs and the ability to rent (for free) a life vest for my 4 year old to swim were all appreciated.
- clean and pretty lobby area.
- the Starbucks coffee in the room (for free) was actually very good.
- the Westin shower head was nice after a long day (but don't expect the heavenly bed...)

Now on to the areas of much needed improvement:
- when I checked in, I was told as a Gold member, I received an upgrade to a room with a balcony. I was very appreciative but asked if there was anything facing Epcot so my son could see the fireworks. Nothing was available, so I asked what about facing Hollywood Studios to see their fireworks? The desk attendant, Trip, typed on the computer for a good 7-8 min and finally said "we found something you will like." We were excited but when we got up to the room, we found we were actually DOWNGRADED to facing the front parking lot, and you could see some of HS from the side, which by the way, doesn't have fireworks and there is nothing to see. I called the front desk, was put on hold and no one picked back up. Called back and asked to speak with supervisor, Ashley. I asked if I could move back to the original upgrade with balcony, and she said no. Keep in mind this was at 2:30 in the afternoon, 1 1/2 hrs prior to check-in. According to Ashley, nothing was available, but if we want to move all our stuff half-way through our vacation, we could do that (no thanks). I asked for a voucher for breakfast for the inconvenience and moved on.
- room was dirty. Grout on bathroom floor was black and there was little stubble hairs (from someone shaving) all around the sink.
- there was an older gentleman working as a bell hop that was literally miserable. Wouldn't crack a smile...yea, welcome to Disney.
- come to find that character breakfast at their buffet is only on Sat and Sun. Didn't see that on the website, but no big deal, we went down early Sunday morning prior to going to the parks...but oh by the way, the characters don't join breakfast until 8 am. This wasn't written in any of the materials they give you upon check-in. My son was really disappointed, but the characters did come in a little early so he got to see them right before we left for the Magic Kingdom.
- Mickey waffles at the buffet were stone cold.
- Put up my "Going green" card on the door and never received my $5 voucher.

Worst of all, with all this happening, I asked to be connected to the rooms executive to give my feedback (since I couldn't get anywhere with the front desk) and I didn't get a call back until 2 days later. I was in the parks when she called back (Kai was her name) so I called her at 6 PM when I got back to the room, but she was already gone for the day (I assume since she didn't call back). I got another call the following day from the director of front desk, but by that point, I lost interest in talking with anyone.

Overall, poor service for a Starwood hotel and a Disney property. With so may options available, do yourself a favor, and stay elsewhere. There is no disney magic here, and certainly no Starwood service.

Welcome to the dis, Vet.

With 'so many' negatives, had it been me, I would have asked to talk to the general manager. However, if you lost interest in talking with anyone, I presume that the problems were not all that bad?

I hate that your visit wasn't what you had expected. DH and I have stayed at the Dolphin twice and didn't have an experience that sembled yours in any way. I never go in there expecting Disney level of service, since Disney doesn't own the property. I hope your next visit to WDW is all you hope it to be!

My family and I just returned from a Disney vacation where we stayed at the Swan Hotel and the best word to describe our time at the Swan? Disappointing. Perhaps my expectations were too high...to fully give you a sense of my perspective, I am a SPG Gold member who spends over 100 nights a year in hotels (mostly Marriott followed by SPG). I know what good service looks like, and I have high expectations for a Disney property and a "Westin" SPG property. After being treated well at Starwood properties when I travel for business, I expected my family to receive the same service when we traveled for leisure...but this was far from it.

- great pool area. Fun music, attentive pool staff, plenty of chairs and the ability to rent (for free) a life vest for my 4 year old to swim were all appreciated.
- the Westin shower head was nice after a long day (but don't expect the heavenly bed...)

- when I checked in, I was told as a Gold member, I received an upgrade to a room with a balcony. I was very appreciative but asked if there was anything facing Epcot so my son could see the fireworks. Nothing was available, so I asked what about facing Hollywood Studios to see their fireworks? The desk attendant, Trip, typed on the computer for a good 7-8 min and finally said "we found something you will like." We were excited but when we got up to the room, we found we were actually DOWNGRADED to facing the front parking lot, and you could see some of HS from the side, which by the way, doesn't have fireworks and there is nothing to see. I called the front desk, was put on hold and no one picked back up. Called back and asked to speak with supervisor, Ashley. I asked if I could move back to the original upgrade with balcony, and she said no. Keep in mind this was at 2:30 in the afternoon, 1 1/2 hrs prior to check-in. According to Ashley, nothing was available, but if we want to move all our stuff half-way through our vacation, we could do that (no thanks). I asked for a voucher for breakfast for the inconvenience and moved on.
- room was dirty. Grout on bathroom floor was black and there was little stubble hairs (from someone shaving) all around the sink.
- there was an older gentleman working as a bell hop that was literally miserable. Wouldn't crack a smile...yea, welcome to Disney.
- come to find that character breakfast at their buffet is only on Sat and Sun. Didn't see that on the website, but no big deal, we went down early Sunday morning prior to going to the parks...but oh by the way, the characters don't join breakfast until 8 am. This wasn't written in any of the materials they give you upon check-in. My son was really disappointed, but the characters did come in a little early so he got to see them right before we left for the Magic Kingdom.

Worst of all, with all this happening, I asked to be connected to the rooms executive to give my feedback (since I couldn't get anywhere with the front desk) and I didn't get a call back until 2 days later. I was in the parks when she called back (Kai was her name) so I called her at 6 PM when I got back to the room, but she was already gone for the day (I assume since she didn't call back). I got another call the following day from the director of front desk, but by that point, I lost interest in talking with anyone.

Overall, poor service for a Starwood hotel and a Disney property. With so may options available, do yourself a favor, and stay elsewhere. There is no disney magic here, and certainly no Starwood service.

Hello! My family and I are headed to the Swan for the first time over Thanksgiving week. We usually stay on property, but the rates were super expensive during this time, and the Swan had a great deal. And, the location is awesome. I really hope I made the right choice!

So, my question is about birthdays. We are going to celebrate my daughter's 10th, and I mentioned it to the reservation desk when booking. She didn't say much. I know it's not a Disney property, but does anyone know if there's anything special I/they can do? I know I can get the button at the parks and note it on all my dining reservations, but I was hoping for something fun in the room.

Thanks!!

lmminghe said:
We are heading to the Swan in a little over a month!! So excited. It I'd the first time we have been there as a family. I had been previously for a work function but it has been many years so the info on this thread has been fantastic. We are going with our niece who is participating in a dance competition, so the room rates we got are fantastic however it is a standard view. Question - what is the best room request for a standard view? Ideally I would love to be close to pool with the best view a standard can offer. Any advice would be appreciated!

Bumping this because I think it got lost in the shuffle! Any room request help would be appreciated!

Join Starwood SPG and you might get a free upgrade. They will give it to you if they are not fully booked I believe.

Hello! My family and I are headed to the Swan for the first time over Thanksgiving week. We usually stay on property, but the rates were super expensive during this time, and the Swan had a great deal. And, the location is awesome. I really hope I made the right choice!

So, my question is about birthdays. We are going to celebrate my daughter's 10th, and I mentioned it to the reservation desk when booking. She didn't say much. I know it's not a Disney property, but does anyone know if there's anything special I/they can do? I know I can get the button at the parks and note it on all my dining reservations, but I was hoping for something fun in the room.

Thanks!!

If you go to their website, you can find the phone number for their concierge desk. That would be the best place to ask. They do show as having gift baskets available that you can order. Hope that helps!

lmminghe said:
Bumping this because I think it got lost in the shuffle! Any room request help would be appreciated!

Thank you Crazy Kanga but I am looking for some advice about where would be a good request for a standard room. I am a Starwood member but the resort will be very busy when we are there in July and I don't want to just rely on the possibility of an upgrade. If I am going to be in standard I wanted to know what would be the best request to be close to the pool. Of course, I will still try for the upgrade at check-in!

Here now and changing rooms. Tub won't drain and fridge won't work. They tried to fix it, but didn't so I called and asked for a new room. About of a pain but can't stand standing in watt while showering. Also, food service tray has been out in the hall for over 24 hours. No. It's not ours. Gross.

On a good note - the new taqueria at Picabu is wonderful! Had the bowl last night for dinner and it was great!

That's a shame that you lost interest in talking to someone. We had a few hiccups during our stay (worse than what you've mentioned,) and we found that everyone was VERY open to speaking about it. The front desk manager actually gave us a $100 credit just for being incredibly kind and gracious about all of the issues with our room. She was extremely apologetic and so sweet. We were in Disney, nothing was worth getting that upset :goodvibes

We checked in yesterday and we are having a great stay so far. Booked an alcove suite and was pleasantly surprised to be upgraded to a two bedroom suite. My only gripe and its minor is that there is no balcony, but having two bedrooms and two bathrooms more than makes up for it! :cloud9:

We checked in yesterday and we are having a great stay so far. Booked an alcove suite and was pleasantly surprised to be upgraded to a two bedroom suite. My only gripe and its minor is that there is no balcony, but having two bedrooms and two bathrooms more than makes up for it! :cloud9:
Now that's an awesome dose of pixie dust! Have a wonderful stay! :thumbsup2

Sounds great, CK, enjoy!!

Hi Laura!!!

Hope you have a wonderful trip!!! I do love a balcony, but two bathrooms is great for your gang! Take a ride on ToT and think of us! Looking forward to pictures!!

Best to all!!! :-)

"SingingMom" ....Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

I know I've seen a map of the Friendship Boat 'schedule' of stops (the order of stops at resorts/parks) but for the life of me can't seem to find it in a search. Does anyone know where that might be?

Have room discounts for FL residents been released for Oct? Do they still offer them? We got a FL resident rate for our dates a few years ago. If they just haven't been released, any idea when that will happen? TIA

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter