• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The **New** Swan and Dolphin Resort thread ~ April 2012 ~ Please read post #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dont want to add fuel to the fire, but I saw the pics on the thread posted. That does look awful and not at all what I am used to seeing from our past visits at the Dolphin.

The OP states who she spoke to, Jason, head of recreation. I am going to S/D in March, and I love this resort, but if those pictures are true to what the pool looks like, I would be upset as well.

For me, it's a matter of safety (is it - I wouldn't swim in that) and when is it going to be fixed.

IMHO, I think leaving it open looking like that is worse than closing it with alternate arrangements for guests.

I dont want to add fuel to the fire, but I saw the pics on the thread posted. That does look awful and not at all what I am used to seeing from our past visits at the Dolphin.

The OP states who she spoke to, Jason, head of recreation. I am going to S/D in March, and I love this resort, but if those pictures are true to what the pool looks like, I would be upset as well.

For me, it's a matter of safety (is it - I wouldn't swim in that) and when is it going to be fixed.

IMHO, I think leaving it open looking like that is worse than closing it with alternate arrangements for guests.

I'm not going to disagree with you. I wouldn't swim in it either.

I saw those pictures and it didn't look that bad this morning when I was out there. :confused3 (but yes, the pool surface looks dirty/greenish)

My point is, they assured me they would CLOSE the pool if there was any danger. They are going to be refurbishing it very soon. I just wanted to make sure everyone here knew that the Swan/Dolphin employees DO care. ::yes:: (JMO, but I felt like tuckerkeys was a bit harsh in her criticism of the employees.)

If I notice that the pool has closed, I will be sure to post!! :blush:

I'm not going to disagree with you. I wouldn't swim in it either.

I saw those pictures and it didn't look that bad this morning when I was out there. :confused3 (but yes, the pool surface looks dirty/greenish)

My point is, they assured me they would CLOSE the pool if there was any danger. They are going to be refurbishing it very soon. I just wanted to make sure everyone here knew that the Swan/Dolphin employees DO care. ::yes:: (JMO, but I felt like tuckerkeys was a bit harsh in her criticism of the employees.)

If I notice that the pool has closed, I will be sure to post!! :blush:

I agree with you .... S/D employees do care. My comments are only about the pool. I hope they get this taken care of quickly.

OK, let's put this rumor that the Swan/Dolphin doesn't care to rest! I am at the Dolphin and just spent over 2 hours of my precious vacation time walking the grounds and talking to every CM, Asst Mgr and Mgr I could find.

I'm not sure who tuckerkeys' source is, but I did not come away with the same information at all. Granted, the pool is not in the pristine condition many of us have found it to be in in the past, but it is open and I was told it is safe for swimming -- it is checked every couple of hours and would be closed immediately if the ph levels did not fall within a certain range.

The surface of the pool does look dirty, and I was told it is ready for a resurfacing and they plan to do that during the upcoming refurbishment -- where they will also create a zero entry to be in ADA compliance. The date of the refurbishment is not yet known. (The original date has been temporarily postponed.)

I do want to stress that EVERYONE I talked to at the Dolphin DID CARE and I'm sorry tuckerkeys experience was different.

:goodvibes

Well if you think the ph level has anything to do with my concern and my decision to not let my kids in there you are lacking understanding of how a public pool functions. Ph is a non issue. It's the extremely high algae level. The very same conditions that allow alge to run wild like that and to have cloudy water like that permit the growth and spread of harmful bacteria like fecal coliform.

Swim at your own risk. I can 100% assure you that the chem levels and filtration rates are way off and have been for a while. Pools dont turn like this overnight. The do so because of a total lack of care by the operator. If the levels were right and you believe everything you are told why does the pool look like a pond?

It's a resort pool. The resort is nearly sold out. The pools should be spotless.

It's simple to take care of these things. It's called spend the money to put the labor on the pool to brush, vacuum, and aggressively sanitize and frequently backwash. Labor, chemical, and water costs are high. Do the math.

Well if you think the ph level has anything to do with my concern and my decision to not let my kids in there you are lacking understanding of how a public pool functions. Ph is a non issue. It's the extremely high algae level. The very same conditions that allow alge to run wild like that and to have cloudy water like that permit the growth and spread of harmful bacteria like fecal coliform.

Swim at your own risk. I can 100% assure you that the chem levels and filtration rates are way off and have been for a while. Pools dont turn like this overnight. The do so because of a total lack of care by the operator. If the levels were right and you believe everything you are told why does the pool look like a pond?

It's a resort pool. The resort is nearly sold out. The pools should be spotless.

It's simple to take care of these things. It's called spend the money to put the labor on the pool to brush, vacuum, and aggressively sanitize and frequently backwash. Labor, chemical, and water costs are high. Do the math.

I can understand your position, but you are dealing with it very publicly -- and that's my issue. I'm not going to get into a debate with you: You obviously know about pools and water safety........ I don't.

I guess I'm naive, but I have a hard time believing Swolphin would be as negligent as you are claiming. And when you post negatively on a public forum, word spreads like wildfire and may never go away completely.

I believe that's all I have to say on this subject. :)

Bring a big box of Bromine Tabs, and toss them in strategically into the pool when no one is looking -- see how long the algae lasts then!

Tom

RachelTori said:
I can understand your position, but you are dealing with it very publicly -- and that's my issue. I'm not going to get into a debate with you: You obviously know about pools and water safety........ I don't.

I guess I'm naive, but I have a hard time believing Swolphin would be as negligent as you are claiming. And when you post negatively on a public forum, word spreads like wildfire and may never go away completely.

I believe that's all I have to say on this subject. :)
I appreciate your position. But isn't Sharing experiences about wdw what this forum is all about? I've shared tons of great experiences. I certainly have a right to share the not so great. Especially when the resort is simply trying to cover up a known issue they simply don't want to fix or haven't attempted to fix until called on it

Once again it's not rocket science. Paying guests deserve a sparkling clean safe pool. Keeping a pool that way isn't that tough when you put the effort forth.

I appreciate your position. But isn't Sharing experiences about wdw what this forum is all about? I've shared tons of great experiences. I certainly have a right to share the not so great. Especially when the resort is simply trying to cover up a known issue they simply don't want to fix or haven't attempted to fix until called on it

Once again it's not rocket science. Paying guests deserve a sparkling clean safe pool. Keeping a pool that way isn't that tough when you put the effort forth.

I agree.:thumbsup2 I've been paying attention to this thread because we have a family wedding upcoming. I'm pretty sure a relative has reservations there, that was the plan, anyway. Guess I should check on that. ;)
In the meantime, I don't think there is a requirement for puppies and sunshine on a forum. We can share experiences, concerns, joys, or whatever.
Not everyone cares about or uses a pool when they stay at a hotel. That's OK. If a public pool is has signs of a potential health hazard, though, in my experience elsewhere it is shut down and roped off.
It doesn't mean someone is mad at the Swan/Dolphin. It just means the facility should be meeting standards for health and safety. If it's not, it needs to be brought up to code promptly. That keeps the hotel nice for its guests, and it shows the hotel is responsive to problems. :goodvibes

Well my faith in the swan/dolphin has been restored. The followed up significantly with us, owned up to the issue, and made us happy.

I'll spare you all the dirty laundry technical stuff but suffice to say there's an issue, they have formulated a plan, and are working to resolve it.

From a technical standpoint, if the do what they say their plan is, by mid to late next week the pool should be back to normal. It takes a while to get 300k gallons back when it gets to this point.

I really like this place, have been here a bunch in the past, specifically selected this place this trip for the pool, and will most likely return based on how this has been handled.

Well my faith in the swan/dolphin has been restored. The followed up significantly with us, owned up to the issue, and made us happy.

I'll spare you all the dirty laundry technical stuff but suffice to say there's an issue, they have formulated a plan, and are working to resolve it.

From a technical standpoint, if the do what they say their plan is, by mid to late next week the pool should be back to normal. It takes a while to get 300k gallons back when it gets to this point.

I really like this place, have been here a bunch in the past, specifically selected this place this trip for the pool, and will most likely return based on how this has been handled.
Great news - thanks for the update!

Thanks for keeping us updated. I was wondering if they told you when the refurb on the pool was going to start? and for how long they expected the pool to be closed?

Going on 9/17. Hope the problem is resolved by then!!! Sooner would be great. So sorry you folks have to deal with this on you vacation.

Thanks for keeping us updated. I was wondering if they told you when the refurb on the pool was going to start? and for how long they expected the pool to be closed?

2 issues may affect you.

The current should be clear by the time you get here provided they do what we discussed.

As far as the major refurb and 20+ day closure, I got a bunch of different stories. I'd press the issue to be sure you won't be affected during your stay. Dont just talk to the front desk, ask for the operations director. And I'd keep calling every few days, the story seems to be changing (which may be totally legit and just the way things go). Seems like when it goes down they are making plans to use other nearby pools, or so the insinuated.

Very random question here, but has anyone visited recently and snapped a picture of the beach area at the Swan where the playground is? I heard there was some construction and work done to the area and I wanted to see what it looks like now if it looks any different, we are getting married there next month :goodvibes

‎14 days until I leave for vacation (stopping places along the way) :moped:
19 days until IOA Wizarding World :hyper:
20 days until the Dolphin Resort :cloud9:
21 days until MNSSHP :stir:
22 days until POFQ :banana:
28 days until F&W!!! popcorn::
Then we leave to come home the 29th :headache:

We are arriving at the dolphin on 9/15. I will be super upset if the grotto pool is down. We planned on spending alot of time at the pool, my kids want a slide and all I kept hearing is how nice the grotto pool is. When we made our reservations, there was no mention of the pool being closed for renovations. I don't want to swim in a lap pool. I am going to call and see if the pool is going to be closed during our stay. I am upset also, because I originally had a package with CSR with free dining and cancelled it for the dolphin because I wanted to stay in a boardwalk area hotel.

PS-I am a health inspector here in NJ and inspect pools all of the time. The PH level could make the chemicals ineffective, however the only way to tell if there is bacteria in the water is by testing it, and the test takes 48 hours. Alot of pools work on the salt system and don't put alot of chemicals (chlorine or bromine) into the water. My guess is that the filtration system is not working properly (as the OP stated). Here in NJ a pool must have an 8 hour turnover rate, if some of the filters are not working, that time can go way up, resulting in algae and bacterial growth in the pool. The bottom line is, something is wrong with the pool/filtration system and it really should not be open when the water is cloudy and there is algae in it. I am calling tomorrow and speaking to a manager.

PS-Alot of pools work on the salt system and don't put alot of chemicals (chlorine or bromine) into the water.

in my opinion salt systems are not effective, in my new house I turned my salt pool back to a traditional chlorine pool...

the water is super clear, no algae...and the best thing is, no micro organisms are living...resulting in a fun and SAFE pool experience...

sorry to hear about the pool dilemma..theres always blizzard beach down the road, it's way better than any pool !!!

Yes, I agree with you. I would rather have chlorine, especially in a PUBLIC pool. We planned on taking long breaks every afternoon and hanging at the pool because it's going to be super hot in the afternoons. The part that pisses me off the most is that obviously the pool has issues and was scheduled for a renovation around this time. When I made reservations, I was never told of the possiblity of not having the main pool working and there is nothing on the website that states it either. To be honest, I would have kept my CSR reservation with free dining if I knew the pool was not going to be operational. Thanks for the kind thoughts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter