• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The **New** Swan and Dolphin Resort thread ~ April 2012 ~ Please read post #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds like there are some great trips coming up - I'm jealous! Enjoy!

Hi everyone! I just wanted to tell you all about our great stay at the Dolphin! Our room was great, very clean and smart. We ate at Shula's and the Fountain and the food was delicious. We also got great pizza from Picabu's. My DH and DD12 loved the pools and my DH also enjoyed the Gym. The staff are great and really do their best to make your stay as good as possible. We'll definitely be back as the closeness to EPCOT is priceless;):thumbsup2

Hi everyone! I hope someone can help me. I have changed resort reservations more in the past month than is healthy. DH and I are going to WDW in September. This is a big annivesary trip for the two of us and I'm hoping to make it really special. So after booking, then changing 3 other resorts (I think my DH is just being difficult now) I got a great deal at the Dolphin, standard room. When I called, the man taking the reservation was trying to discourage us from booking standard because he said the views are bad and wanted me to upgrade to resort view, but that is a bit out of our price range. So I was wondering if any standard rooms have balconies? Any with views other than rooftops like I was told? The whole resort looks beautiful, so its not like it would ruin our trip if we saw only a rooftop. And I'm so excited about being close to the Boardwalk and Epcot. Thanks for any advice!

I don't believe standard room rate has a balcony. There is higher rate for a balcony room.

There are no standard rooms with a balcony that I know of. Views could be dumpsters to roof tops to partial resort view - so that one's a toss up! If upgrading to the next category is not in the budget don't worry. S/D is a gorgeous resort & even if your view is of the rooftops you can be outside in a few minutes to enjoy everything. You won't be disappointed!

Hi everyone! I hope someone can help me. I have changed resort reservations more in the past month than is healthy. DH and I are going to WDW in September. This is a big annivesary trip for the two of us and I'm hoping to make it really special. So after booking, then changing 3 other resorts (I think my DH is just being difficult now) I got a great deal at the Dolphin, standard room. When I called, the man taking the reservation was trying to discourage us from booking standard because he said the views are bad and wanted me to upgrade to resort view, but that is a bit out of our price range. So I was wondering if any standard rooms have balconies? Any with views other than rooftops like I was told? The whole resort looks beautiful, so its not like it would ruin our trip if we saw only a rooftop. And I'm so excited about being close to the Boardwalk and Epcot. Thanks for any advice!

There are no standard rooms with a balcony that I know of. Views could be dumpsters to roof tops to partial resort view - so that one's a toss up! If upgrading to the next category is not in the budget don't worry. S/D is a gorgeous resort & even if your view is of the rooftops you can be outside in a few minutes to enjoy everything. You won't be disappointed!

I totally agree, Tara! And whatever view they end up with, the resort's location alone makes up for a less-than-wonderful view! :cloud9:

Veteran Wife -- I would suggest you make sure the information about your anniversary is listed on your reservation. Just like at WDW, *magic* also happens at the Swan & Dolphin! :tinker:

:goodvibes

Thanks so much for the replies. Like I said, it won't ruin the trip. I am just so excited to be staying at the Dolphin. I've wanted to stay and either the Swan or Dolphin years but never got the chance. Of course, my DH's favorite place in WDW is ESPN, go figure. Now he's pumped about the trip too. Thanks again for the tips!

We are going to the dolphin in Sept. Do people usually make a room request at the dolphin? Should we request being close to the pool? Or the food court? Are some rooms really far from "everything"?

We are going to the dolphin in Sept. Do people usually make a room request at the dolphin? Should we request being close to the pool? Or the food court? Are some rooms really far from "everything"?
Absolutely make a request. Just like Disney, not guaranteed, but they will try to accommodate your requests. If it appears it is being overlooked at check in, remind them again of your request one more time.

The east side of the Dolphin can be a long hike to the pools, and restarants, especially Picabu.

Some added information if it helps you make a decision...

DH and I went to WDW for our anniversary last summer and I booked a standard room using a teacher discount. A few months before our trip, another (even better) discount became available, and so instead of taking the extra savings I used that discount to upgrade our room to Resort View for about the same cost per night. We had noted on our reservation that we would be celebrating our anniversary. Upon check-in, we were upgraded for free to a room with an Epcot fireworks view - one of the deluxe alcove rooms with two separate balconies. (Talk about Disney Magic!) I am wondering if the person you spoke to at the Dolphin might have also been encouraging you to upgrade your view to make a similar big upgrade a better possibility. Either way...the Dolphin truly is a fantastic resort, and I would make sure to sign up for the Starwood Rewards program and have your anniversary stamped all over your reservation in hopes for some pixie dust ;)

Enjoy your trip!

We booked WDW Dolphin for our August trip.

They will match any competitors rates.

Hotels.com has very good rates right now.
Call directly to the hotel and change your reservation with them matching the hotels.com rate. SEE What will happen.

You may get that Fireworks view with balcony like we did for $150 a night.

GOOD LUCK! :)

We booked WDW Dolphin for our August trip.

They will match any competitors rates.

Hotels.com has very good rates right now.
Call directly to the hotel and change your reservation with them matching the hotels.com rate. SEE What will happen.

You may get that Fireworks view with balcony like we did for $150 a night.

GOOD LUCK! :)

What would be considered a competitor?

What would be considered a competitor?

Maybe "competitor" wasn't the best word! What Texas Hurricane is referring to is any bookable Swan or Dolphin rate that you can find through a site like Travelocity, Hotels dot com, Expedia, etc is what will be matched. When you call the Swan/Dolphin, you tell the CM the rate you found and the site you found it on. They ask you to hold while they go online and confirm that it is a legitimate rate -- then they will offer to match it. :thumbsup2

Thought I would add another option for Costco members. We just booked Feb. 22-27, 2013, through Costco's travel department. We have a 5 night stay with a 4 day park hopper for $1850. A better deal than AAA but I'm not sure about teachers or nurses. One catch: a deposit of $100 each is required immediately and it's non-refundable. :confused: But it was worth it for us - I'm in the Princess Half Marathon that weekend!:)

Thought I would add another option for Costco members. We just booked Feb. 22-27, 2013, through Costco's travel department. We have a 5 night stay with a 4 day park hopper for $1850. A better deal than AAA but I'm not sure about teachers or nurses. One catch: a deposit of $100 each is required immediately and it's non-refundable. :confused: But it was worth it for us - I'm in the Princess Half Marathon that weekend!:)

That's good to know - thank you for sharing! :)

The teachers and nurses discounts are not as generous as in years past. They are very comparable to the AAA rates. In fact, I changed my teacher rate to AAA (for my upcoming trip in late August) as AAA had a better deal (by about $3/night! ;))

I'm staying at the Swan in early November. I have never stayed there before so don't know the hotel. When I call to ask for an upgrade (or to even see what I have!) what are the best room views?

What's Boardwalk vs Fireworks?

Obviously a balcony is better than not right?

What are the pro's and con's to the wings?

Thank you!! My DD birthday and our anniversary are near our dates and hoping for pixie dust!

I am so excited to stay on property for the first time ever!

I just tried to call SPG at 888.625.4988 and the agent told me that he could not link my SPG card to my AAA card. I have a teacher rate coming up in October and he said they only used AAA to find rates. Should I just call and hope to get a different agent?

I'm staying at the Swan in early November. I have never stayed there before so don't know the hotel. When I call to ask for an upgrade (or to even see what I have!) what are the best room views?

What's Boardwalk vs Fireworks?

Obviously a balcony is better than not right?

What are the pro's and con's to the wings?

Thank you!! My DD birthday and our anniversary are near our dates and hoping for pixie dust!

I am so excited to stay on property for the first time ever!
Fireworks would be really the same as Boardwalk, just higher up. Both would look the same way, east.

I have had balcony before, but never go out on it, other than to maybe take a better picture. The balconies are very small, barely room for two small chairs and small table.

Have a great trip, you will love the place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter