The **New** Swan and Dolphin Resort thread ~ April 2012 ~ Please read post #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you, SRUAlmn for the great photos and info.

Great pictures, SRU, looks fabulous.

Those were great photos SRU.

Thanks guys! No problem :) It's funny...before I went I had in mind everything I wanted to take pictures of, but once you get into vacation mode and just enjoying your surroundings you forget to take pictures ;) I wish I would've taken more, but I guess that's what the next trip will be for :thumbsup2

I don't know about the payments, but there is no schedule of conventions. Since they're convention hotels, there are several going on at each resort, 24/7, 365 days a year. I asked DH's S/D contact for his conferences there if these resorts really had conferences booked on holidays & she said absolutely. Not everyone is from the US and/or celebrates US holdiays, she said there has never been a day without conventions. Ever!

thanks for the info!

We paid for our room in advance last year, to take advantage of a 5% back promo on DH's credit card. When I called, I was given a link to a credit card authorization page and was able to put through the payment that way.

Re: conventions, I've yet to come across a comprehensive list for the property, but when I google "Orlando conventions + the month and year of my trip", I usually get a good idea of what might be taking place during my stay. Sometimes, I throw in "dolphin" to get more specific information.

Thank you for the information!

The coffee supplied is Starbucks, regular and decaf. They come in pods for the coffee maker SRU posted a picture of. If you run low you can ask housekeeping in the halls for as many as you want.

Ray - don't be afraid to ask for more Starbucks coffee pods - they are happy to bring as many as you want. We have 3 big coffee drinkers in the family & go through at least 10-15 pods a day. They have never said no when we asked for more!

Has anyone gone to Garden Grove for dinner. We are thinking about doing the barbeque and mediterranean night. The price of the buffet for an adult is $30 but with the 20% AAA discount, the price drops down to $24. I think that is a major bargain at disney. I made 2 reservations, hope we are not sorry. Anyone been lately? PS According to the website, dinner does not include a beverage (which seems strange for a buffet)

I was putzing about the site looking for my summer 2013 trip. I cannot believe the last three days of my trip are not available! I'm looking to check in on May 26 for 11 nights. I can get up to 6/2 and am assuming there is a conference. So, here are my choices:

1. Change the whole trip to after 6/8 when I can get availability.
2. Book it May 26 - 6/2 and hope there is a cancellation where I can pick up the three days.
3. Book it May 26 - 6/2 and find somewhere else to stay. Not easy. We're a family of 5. Although, we are taking a long weekend at the end of this July and could only get a suite. Maybe a suite is available for those three days. Choices, choices, choices.

Any suggestions?

We are going to book at the Swan (first time :cool1:) in Oct. A standard room is $192 and a resort view (no balcony) is $218. We don't spend a lot of time in the room so I'm thinking just the standard would be ok. Unless someone can tell me that the resort view is worth it.

Any thoughts? Thanks!

Thanks, Dan.

Dan, did you catch the photo of my signature at the bottom? It is a photo from last December of you, me and John in front of the DHS Christmas Tree before we headed to the boat taxi. We three musketeers need to plan something this year so that we can just talk about all of our good time memories. I really enjoyed your company...
Yes, I did, Ray. :cool1: I do remember that picture. A lot of fun that trip. I am sure John will be there that time-frame also, he always is. Fun times.

Has anyone gone to Garden Grove for dinner. We are thinking about doing the barbeque and mediterranean night. The price of the buffet for an adult is $30 but with the 20% AAA discount, the price drops down to $24. I think that is a major bargain at disney. I made 2 reservations, hope we are not sorry. Anyone been lately? PS According to the website, dinner does not include a beverage (which seems strange for a buffet)

If MBELSANTI is around this thread still, I know she just went a couple weeks ago. I sent her a Restaurant.com gift certificate for $25 that I got for $2, so keep your eyes out for them to offer it again! It's a great deal! We also used one at Kimonos and it was such a great value :)

Does Kimonos offer the AAA discount? I have seen some threads that say that they do and some that say that they don't. Anyone know for sure?

I finally called to switch to points from a cash reservation. We are staying 6 nights for part of a split stay. The reservation agent told me that if we stayed 5 nights on points, we would only be "paying" for 4 nights and the 5th would be free, but that if we stay 6 nights, we have to "pay" for all of them with points and none are free. Does this sound correct? Seems odd to me. I said we would rather pay cash in that case and save the points. (Possibly I will just add another night to the other resort for our split stay, but since we have family also staying at the Swan, I wanted to check in with them first before changing things up.)

I finally called to switch to points from a cash reservation. We are staying 6 nights for part of a split stay. The reservation agent told me that if we stayed 5 nights on points, we would only be "paying" for 4 nights and the 5th would be free, but that if we stay 6 nights, we have to "pay" for all of them with points and none are free. Does this sound correct? Seems odd to me. I said we would rather pay cash in that case and save the points. (Possibly I will just add another night to the other resort for our split stay, but since we have family also staying at the Swan, I wanted to check in with them first before changing things up.)

No - that doesn't sound right to me! Did you call the Starwood 800# or the Swan/Dolphin? I would call again, OR- try to book all 6 nights online, and see if you get 1 night free.

** I just went to www.spg.com and checked availability for 6 nights at the Swan using points. It clearly shows 10,000 points per night for the first 4 nights, the 5th night is free, and then 10,000 points for the 6th night.

No - that doesn't sound right to me! Did you call the Starwood 800# or the Swan/Dolphin? I would call again, OR- try to book all 6 nights online, and see if you get 1 night free.

** I just went to www.spg.com and checked availability for 6 nights at the Swan using points. It clearly shows 10,000 points per night for the first 4 nights, the 5th night is free, and then 10,000 points for the 6th night.

Thanks for the support! I knew this didn't make sense. I persisted, and all worked out. It took awhile - I posted the above note while I was on the line - but after the reservations person spoke to someone else, they were able to figure everything out. I had also checked online and mentioned that I was able to book online and get the free night, but just preferred to do it over the phone. We went with the resort view rate, which was 11,000 pts/night, and 55,000 pts for the 6 nights (so definitely only "paid" for 5). I understand that we will have to pay the resort fee upon check out, which is fine. I'll miss the BW view, but pretty happy with an almost free room!

We are staying here for the first time due to a conference for my work. I got a rate of $149. Is this better than teacher rate or AAA? We check in Monday...stay for 7 nights...do I get any nights free? Do I need to ask for anything special? I asked for room w a view... Also, is there a laundromat?

We are staying here for the first time due to a conference for my work. I got a rate of $149. Is this better than teacher rate or AAA? We check in Monday...stay for 7 nights...do I get any nights free? Do I need to ask for anything special? I asked for room w a view... Also, is there a laundromat?

I think the lowest teacher rate for this time of year is normally $159, so $149 is good :thumbsup2 Are you getting some sort of convention special rate? If so, you wouldn't be able to combine that with any other discount. The Sunsational Savings rate is available, but it looks like the rate would still be an average of $171 per night even with the 6th night free, so you're better off with your rate.

There is a laundromat down next to Picabu and the arcade. You have to put money in a machine to buy tokens and the laundry machines take the tokens. The washer and dryer each take about 30-40 minutes per cycle. There are also bags in the closet of your room to send out your dry cleaning. Enjoy your stay!! :goodvibes

If you are a Starwood Preferred Guest member, you will earn points (2 per dollar spent) for your Swan/Dolphin stay. A free night at the Swan or Dolphin requires a minimum of 10,000 points per night. When you book 4 nights using points (40,000 points) - you get the 5th night free.

Have a GREAT trip!

We are staying here for the first time due to a conference for my work. I got a rate of $149.
Be sure to check the AAA rates.

The lowest rate for the Dolphin showing on the Starwood site was $139, prepaid and non-refundable.

When I changed the search to include AAA, the rate dropped to $115 with a $50 resort credit included in a 5 night stay. This AAA rate is also subject to the standard no penalty cancellation policy if done 5 days prior to check-in.

Someone on here also suggested linking your AAA and Starwoods # (which I did by phone) and we even saved a little more on our upcoming trip. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter