The **New** Swan and Dolphin Resort thread ~ April 2012 ~ Please read post #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, although it's only about a 10-minute walk to the International Gateway.

Yes, looking forward to that! I mainly wanted to know if they will let you in through International Gateway as early as 8:00? And once you are done with breakfast, are you allowed to walk around world showcase and take photos before the crowds come, or is it closed off until 11:00?

Yes, looking forward to that! I mainly wanted to know if they will let you in through International Gateway as early as 8:00? And once you are done with breakfast, are you allowed to walk around world showcase and take photos before the crowds come, or is it closed off until 11:00?

I'm pretty sure you can enter the IG at 8:00. You will walk to Norway by way of the UK, Canada, and Mexico. But when breakfast is over, you won't be able to venture beyond Norway, as the rope between Norway and China will remain in place until 11:00.

I just tried to book the Dolphin for a stay March 23-30 and the reservation agent told me the hotel is completely sold out for March 24-25....anyone know of a convention for those days?

Both Swan & Dolphin are often sold out at any given time during the year. There is never a time that there is no convention, let alone 5-6 at each, the are convention hotels.

We are usually there at that time of year for the SAP Insider which always books the hotel to capacity, but I don't know the exact dates for next year for that. There was also a huge Allstate convention there this March.

We just returned from a 7 night stay at the Dolphin, and with a few minor exceptions, found the room (and whole resort) to be very clean! We have exclusively stayed at Disney resorts, and were a little nervous about this switch, but we were so pleasantly surprised at the friendliness & helpfulness of the staff as well as the value for the space and location. We mainly stay at deluxe resorts, and we got 3 times the space for 1/3 the price :thumbsup2

Thanks so much. This helps me a lot. I believe we will book the Dolphin the location is perfect and as much I love the Yacht Club I don't like the price point.

Thanks again.

We are arriving on August 31 and staying over the labor day weekend! We stayed at The Dolphin once before in 2010 and loved it.

Can anyone tell me if I can call and make payments on the room the way I can with Disney so it is paid in full before I arrive?

Also, is there a convention calendar somewhere. I am curious as to what may be booked in over that weekend.

Thanks!

Trying to compare prices at the Dolphin vs. packages. Does anyone know when the Dolphin will extend the nurses/teachers discount (could be either, I'm a nurse and my mom is teacher and will be travelling with us)?

When I looked at the discount and tried pricing out next April it said the discount was unavailable.

Emily

We are arriving on August 31 and staying over the labor day weekend! We stayed at The Dolphin once before in 2010 and loved it.

Can anyone tell me if I can call and make payments on the room the way I can with Disney so it is paid in full before I arrive?

Also, is there a convention calendar somewhere. I am curious as to what may be booked in over that weekend.

Thanks!

I don't know about the payments, but there is no schedule of conventions. Since they're convention hotels, there are several going on at each resort, 24/7, 365 days a year. I asked DH's S/D contact for his conferences there if these resorts really had conferences booked on holidays & she said absolutely. Not everyone is from the US and/or celebrates US holdiays, she said there has never been a day without conventions. Ever!

Trying to compare prices at the Dolphin vs. packages. Does anyone know when the Dolphin will extend the nurses/teachers discount (could be either, I'm a nurse and my mom is teacher and will be travelling with us)?

When I looked at the discount and tried pricing out next April it said the discount was unavailable.

Emily

I've had a hard time getting a teacher or gov't employee discount at S/D as well as other Starwood resorts recently. However, I would consider looking up the AAA rates. I paid $57 to join AAA and the membership easily paid for itself for what I was saving on the room discount.

There are so many, and they are so common, that when we checked in, they asked us which convention we were with. We also got room service for breakfast two mornings and the girl who brought it asked us when our morning meetings began. We were there celebrating my mom's retirement from teaching, and had a banner we made her in our room. The room service lady pointed to the banner and asked if we'd had our retirement convention yet :rotfl:

During our last 4 days, the Starbound Dance Semi-Finals were going on, so not only was the resort full of suited businessy people, it was also full of costumed kiddies running around all sugared up! ;)

Thanks!
We paid for our room in advance last year, to take advantage of a 5% back promo on DH's credit card. When I called, I was given a link to a credit card authorization page and was able to put through the payment that way.

Re: conventions, I've yet to come across a comprehensive list for the property, but when I google "Orlando conventions + the month and year of my trip", I usually get a good idea of what might be taking place during my stay. Sometimes, I throw in "dolphin" to get more specific information.

Emily
I guess you miss what I posted when you asked this question back in May...here's the link. The teacher rates are there.

I am feel so fortunate to be able to plan a vacation and stay at the Disney Swan Resort this November/December. This will be my very first time staying at the Swan.

I have always loved the Disney Dolphin Resort with the excellent room and service and amenities.

And this Swan and Dolphin DISboards thread is wonderful.

Now I need to go back and start on page one and work my way through all of the posts and see what interesting information and photos that everyone has posted.

Thank you, Dan, for sending me the link.

Thank you, Mom Poppins for organizing and updating this thread on your first post full of information and photos and links.

I am feel so fortunate to be able to plan a vacation and stay at the Disney Swan Resort this November/December. This will be my very first time staying at the Swan.

I have always loved the Disney Dolphin Resort with the excellent room and service and amenities.

And this Swan and Dolphin DISboards thread is wonderful.

Now I need to go back and start on page one and work my way through all of the posts and see what interesting information and photos that everyone has posted.

Thank you, Dan, for sending me the link.

Thank you, Mom Poppins for organizing and updating this thread on your first post full of information and photos and links.

Hi, Ray! :wave2: I love the Swan and usually stay there. I'll be at the Swan Dec. 1-8, so hopefully I'll see you there!

Hi, Ray! :wave2: I love the Swan and usually stay there. I'll be at the Swan Dec. 1-8, so hopefully I'll see you there!

Hi, Nancy! :cool1: I am so excited to be staying at the Swan, too. I'll be at the Swan from November 26 through December 4, 2012. I sure hope to get together with you, too.

How cool. We'll be there at the same time.

I haved never been much of a coffee drinker, but I was wondering if you happened to know what kind of coffee pouches that can be bought at a store to be used in the Swan coffee maker. I wanted to buy some ahead of time for those very early morning or very late times going to the parks.

Hi, Nancy! :cool1: I am so excited to be staying at the Swan, too. I'll be at the Swan from November 26 through December 4, 2012. I sure hope to get together with you, too.

How cool. We'll be there at the same time.

I haved never been much of a coffee drinker, but I was wondering if you happened to know what kind of coffee pouches that can be bought at a store to be used in the Swan coffee maker. I wanted to buy some ahead of time for those very early morning or very late times going to the parks.

Nice long stay, Ray! Are you planning on burning the candle at both ends? ;)

I don't drink coffee at all - so I am clueless! However, you can ask housekeeping for extra coffee, rather than have to buy your own.

Nice long stay, Ray! Are you planning on burning the candle at both ends? ;)

I don't drink coffee at all - so I am clueless! However, you can ask housekeeping for extra coffee, rather than have to buy your own.

I found this pantry menu below using the link on Mom Poppins first post:

http://www.swandolphin.com/pantry/pantry_menu.pdf

CAFFEINATED START
Two Starbucks Frappuccinos
along with four Nutri-Grain
Cereal Bars for a fast start.

$8.50

I was hoping just for some plain coffee. I think at the Disney Dolphin Resort they used individual coffee pod things to put in their coffee maker. I'll have to look at the store next time just incase I need more coffee to drink while relaxing in the room before heading out.

Thanks, Nancy. I hope to relax more this year at the Disney Swan Resort and enjoy all of its amenities.

Sometimes after a long night at MK after midnight, I have a harder time waking up to do something early in the morning.

I am starting to feel more like a baby as I get older. I need more sleep.

Okay back to reading more great posts from all of you.

Thanks for all of the information everyone is posting.

Thank you, SRUAlmn for the great photos and info.

100_0029.jpg

Good to know that on those rainy days, or days that I can't physically get out and about, that I can see ESPN or the History TV channel. Thanks for the TV Channel Guide.

100_0122.jpg

Has anyone ever bought coffee refills that fill this coffee maker for individual use?

....The last few reviews on the Dolphin on trip advisor were terrible - dirty rooms, etc.

Could anyone who as stayed recently give their thoughts on the upkeep of rooms at the Dolphin and/or Swan?

Thanks
Rooms have always been very clean for me over many stays at the Swan, several stays at the Dolphin.

Ok, as promised, here are some pictures......
Great pictures, SRU, looks fabulous.

....I haved never been much of a coffee drinker, but I was wondering if you happened to know what kind of coffee pouches that can be bought at a store to be used in the Swan coffee maker. I wanted to buy some ahead of time for those very early morning or very late times going to the parks.
Great to see you, Ray. :wave2: Hope we get to see each other.

The coffee supplied is Starbucks, regular and decaf. They come in pods for the coffee maker SRU posted a picture of. If you run low you can ask housekeeping in the halls for as many as you want.

Rooms have always been very clean for me over many stays at the Swan, several stays at the Dolphin.

Great pictures, SRU, looks fabulous.

Great to see you, Ray. :wave2: Hope we get to see each other.

The coffee supplied is Starbucks, regular and decaf. They come in pods for the coffee maker SRU posted a picture of. If you run low you can ask housekeeping in the halls for as many as you want.

Thanks, Dan.

Dan, did you catch the photo of my signature at the bottom? It is a photo from last December of you, me and John in front of the DHS Christmas Tree before we headed to the boat taxi. We three musketeers need to plan something this year so that we can just talk about all of our good time memories. I really enjoyed your company.

The rooms at the Disney Dolphin Resort have always been clean for the few times that I have been over the years.

Those were great photos SRU.

I enjoyed all of the older photos of the Dolphin and Swan being built on the Swan Facebook page, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter