The **New** Swan and Dolphin Resort thread ~ April 2012 ~ Please read post #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
We never really considered staying at the Swan or Dolphin before...always Beach Club or Boardwalk. For our June trip, I got a nurse's rate on the first room and a "stay connected" on the second room at the Swan. The only way we could have come close to those savings would have been renting points to stay at DVC at no more than $10 a point for 2 studios. We couldn't commit far enough ahead for DVC, so the Swan it is! After doing a little research online and watching this thread, I'm pretty excited to try it out. We're also eating at bluezoo for the first time this trip.

is it 499 days out when i can make a res at Dolphin?

have been waiting YEARS (literally) to get back to WDW!

this will be first time at Dolphin (during Food & Wine)

hoping to be there during SD Food & Wine Classic weekend as well

The good news is that there are so many discounts available, like the teacher discount it sounds like you're using, the Swan and Dolphin almost always have options that typically make them the best value among onsite resorts.

We never really considered staying at the Swan or Dolphin before...always Beach Club or Boardwalk. For our June trip, I got a nurse's rate on the first room and a "stay connected" on the second room at the Swan. The only way we could have come close to those savings would have been renting points to stay at DVC at no more than $10 a point for 2 studios. We couldn't commit far enough ahead for DVC, so the Swan it is! After doing a little research online and watching this thread, I'm pretty excited to try it out. We're also eating at bluezoo for the first time this trip.

Very good point! To get the kind of space we're getting at the Dolphin at BWI or BC it would've easily cost us 3x what we're paying with our teacher + stay connected rate :thumbsup2 Plus, I'll be racking up some Starpoints on this trip, so maybe we'll have enough for a free night ;)

I am looking closely at the Dolphin for our next disney trip, we loved the Epcot area!

Looking at the room floor plans though, it looks like it would be very tight with a family of 5 in a dolphin room with a roll away. Has anyone tried 5 in a basic room with a rollaway and how did it work for you?

Our family is cozy, and we like being together.... but... we also don't want to step on each other and we want room for luggage and toys etc... we stayed in the Boardwalk and were fine.

I am reading some bad reviews on Trip Advisor (and I'm also reading bad reviews for our other possible places -- Wyndham Bonnet Creek and Sheraton Vistana..... )

It's a little scary. Also there are many complaints about the extra fees.

Anyway, please advise if you have done 5 in a room and how it worked for you. We have 3 boys, ages 8, 6 and 4.

Thank you!!!!

We are a family of 5 (13, 11, 5) and we just bring an aerobed for my oldest. Most often we stand it up against the wall, but you can also quickly and easily deflate it in the morning so it takes up no space at all. Works well for us whenever we travel. We have had two lovely stays at the Dolphin and are looking forward to a third next Feb- just waiting for teacher rates to be released!

First, a huge thank you to all of you who have put together this thread and everyone with all your great advice! this trip would not have been as wonderful without all your help :)
My husband and I just returned from 3 nights at The Swan and LOVED everything about our stay. This was our 1st stay at the Swan (never Dolphin). We have stayed at most of Disney's hotels, except the value resorts and I have to say the Swan was every bit as nice, if not nicer than anyone of the Disney properties.
We followed the instructions on how to request an alcove room and were granted our request :banana: The room was much nicer and cleaner than our rooms at the BW and BC. The view was outstanding!
The CMs were very nice and did whatever they could to make everything perfect.
The restaurants were all very good with lots of choices. The pools are great, especially loved the hammocks. I really can't say anything bad about this resort. I did prefer The Swan to the Dolphin. Can't wait to go back.
I did miss the Magical Express and if I had my children, the meal plan, but not enough to not stay there again.
Thanks again everyone!

We ate at Il Muliano on Sunday night. Everything was top notch. The food and serve was outstanding! Not one complaint, just accolades :-)

Are alcove rooms the best? How do you go about requesting for them?

First, a huge thank you to all of you who have put together this thread and everyone with all your great advice! this trip would not have been as wonderful without all your help :)
My husband and I just returned from 3 nights at The Swan and LOVED everything about our stay. This was our 1st stay at the Swan (never Dolphin). We have stayed at most of Disney's hotels, except the value resorts and I have to say the Swan was every bit as nice, if not nicer than anyone of the Disney properties.
We followed the instructions on how to request an alcove room and were granted our request :banana: The room was much nicer and cleaner than our rooms at the BW and BC. The view was outstanding!
The CMs were very nice and did whatever they could to make everything perfect.
The restaurants were all very good with lots of choices. The pools are great, especially loved the hammocks. I really can't say anything bad about this resort. I did prefer The Swan to the Dolphin. Can't wait to go back.
I did miss the Magical Express and if I had my children, the meal plan, but not enough to not stay there again.
Thanks again everyone!

9 days till Mom/Daughter Mothers Day weekend at the Dolphin!!! :woohoo::yay::woohoo:

:rainbow::jumping1::rainbow::jumping1::rainbow:

We'll just miss one another--we're there in 16 days! Actually, we originally planned to be there that weekend, but opted for later in May to bump up against and get home for Memorial Weekend. I hope you have a great time. :hug::woohoo:

We'll just miss one another--we're there in 16 days! Actually, we originally planned to be there that weekend, but opted for later in May to bump up against and get home for Memorial Weekend. I hope you have a great time. :hug::woohoo:

Thanks Tess! Sorry we'll miss each other this trip. Maybe next time! :thumbsup2

Wishing you a wonderful trip also! :cloud9:

I found the direction how to request the alcove room on this thread. It was towards the beginning. Try around page 4. The room had 4 windows and tons of space. I will try and figure out how to upload our pics. The room was so nice that it was hard to leave it?

I am torn again value verses convenience and amenities. We have 3 nights, June 15-18th flying in from NY. Have stayed at Swan before. Thought it was nice, boat was slow to parks though, waited almost 40 minutes each time for it to come. Love the restaurants... they were great, most memorable was the Italian restaurant where we had two waiters wait on us and amazing Osso Bucco. Bed comfy etc... noisy from work below us going on this was 2009. Our favorite place in Orlando is the Royal Pacific at Universal, but we have been so many times (six I last counted) that we are trying to change it up. We would like to not over spend or feel like we don't have good restaurants, beds atmosphere etc... The lowest rate for Swan I could find is 209 plus resort fee plus tax, unless I buy a AAA membership I can get 179 plus resort fee tax etc. I can get 125 for Caribe Royale or 129 for Hyatt Grand Cypress. I hear the shuttle there is bad though? I have never stayed at the last two and rarely have stayed off site. I don't like the rooms at the Disney Moderate level... I got spoiled from RP and from Polonesian back when Disney only had that and the Contemporary! (Did I just date myslef, I am only 36!) lol. I have seen the Boardwalk rooms and that location is good but out of my budget. We are not doing the parks except at night for dinner and maybe fireworks show. I have some injuries that I think its best not to attempt carzy rides right now. Maybe a few of the calm ones in Epcot.... What would you do? Would you spend the extra to be at the Swan/Dolphin or would you save the money and stay somewhere else? Comfy bed is very important to me as is a nice pool and restaurants! I paid 159 for Swan last time, so I have a hard time paying so much more this time.....

Just booked our Dec 6-9 stay, redeeming points yay!

Quick question, I tried the search feature but cannot find my answer.....can I make dining reservations 180 + 10 like I do when I stay at a WDW resort?

I am torn again value verses convenience and amenities. We have 3 nights, June 15-18th flying in from NY. Have stayed at Swan before. Thought it was nice, boat was slow to parks though, waited almost 40 minutes each time for it to come. Love the restaurants... they were great, most memorable was the Italian restaurant where we had two waiters wait on us and amazing Osso Bucco. Bed comfy etc... noisy from work below us going on this was 2009. Our favorite place in Orlando is the Royal Pacific at Universal, but we have been so many times (six I last counted) that we are trying to change it up. We would like to not over spend or feel like we don't have good restaurants, beds atmosphere etc... The lowest rate for Swan I could find is 209 plus resort fee plus tax, unless I buy a AAA membership I can get 179 plus resort fee tax etc. I can get 125 for Caribe Royale or 129 for Hyatt Grand Cypress. I hear the shuttle there is bad though? I have never stayed at the last two and rarely have stayed off site. I don't like the rooms at the Disney Moderate level... I got spoiled from RP and from Polonesian back when Disney only had that and the Contemporary! (Did I just date myslef, I am only 36!) lol. I have seen the Boardwalk rooms and that location is good but out of my budget. We are not doing the parks except at night for dinner and maybe fireworks show. I have some injuries that I think its best not to attempt carzy rides right now. Maybe a few of the calm ones in Epcot.... What would you do? Would you spend the extra to be at the Swan/Dolphin or would you save the money and stay somewhere else? Comfy bed is very important to me as is a nice pool and restaurants! I paid 159 for Swan last time, so I have a hard time paying so much more this time.....

For me personally, I would stay at Swan/Dolphin (though I have not stayed off property).
The AAA membership is definitely worth it. I think it is only about $50 and you would make that back with your reservation alone, not to mention the discounts you would receive at some of the restaurants on property. Personally, I prefer to not have to take the buses (or a shuttle) to every park, so the Epcot Resorts are the favorite in our house. We visited over spring break and never had to wait longer than 10 minutes for the boats. We do LOVE walking too (I really don't like being on someone else's schedule). I know you mentioned that you have some injuries, so that might limit your walk, but it is awesome just walking out of Epcot after the fireworks and strolling back to your room past the Boardwalk and not having to wait in a line for your ride back! My husband is always so much happier on our Epcot nights.
OH, AND THE BED ARE SO COMFORTABLE!
Have a great trip!

I've had AAA for years. I have never once used it as intended for my car. I use it for discounts, especially hotels. To me, it is well worth the investment. Sorry, I can't comment on your hotels. I'm staying at the Swan for the first time next month, and have never stayed at either of the other two. I would always pick onsite vs. offsite.

Enjoy, guys!!! :cool1:

Thanks Dan! :goodvibes

Just booked our Dec 6-9 stay, redeeming points yay!

Quick question, I tried the search feature but cannot find my answer.....can I make dining reservations 180 + 10 like I do when I stay at a WDW resort?

:woohoo: Love those Starpoints!! ::yes::

Since WDW started requiring credit card guarantees, it's been easier to get reservations at most of the restaurants less than 180 days out. ;)

I've had AAA for years. I have never once used it as intended for my car. I use it for discounts, especially hotels. To me, it is well worth the investment. Sorry, I can't comment on your hotels. I'm staying at the Swan for the first time next month, and have never stayed at either of the other two. I would always pick onsite vs. offsite.

AAA does pay for itself in discounts, but they have also come to my rescue on several occasions when my vehicle broke down. The peace of mind of having that service alone makes AAA worth the yearly dues. :thumbsup2

Enjoy your Swan vacation! :woohoo: (I predict you will love it! ;))

The rates at Swan & Dolphin will vary, depending on season and room availability. Dolphin will generally be $10 to $20 less per night than Swan; although there are times when the opposite will be true.

I would definitely spend the extra money to stay onsite at Swan/Dolphin. The room, the beds and the location are well worth the extra $$$ (IMHO) :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter