The **New** Swan and Dolphin Resort thread ~ April 2012 ~ Please read post #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've never stayed at these hotels, but is it true that you don't get Disney's Magical Express from the airport? If that is the case, i wasn't sure if you'd want to put that on the first post.

Yes it's true that you can't take ME. There are so many other transportation options.

We are going to be staying at The Swan for the 1st time at the end if the month. After reading the old thread, I saw the you get a AAA discount at the Resturants at the S/D and then I thought someone said it was only if you booked through AAA. My question is do all AAA members get a discount at the Resturants or just if you booked your room through them?

I have been there a few times over the years. It does look like it more lends itself to walkup, less formal.

Ahhhh ok so they even tax the resort fees LOL :rolleyes:

Thank you for clarifying that for me! I had them send me the link so that I can prepay for my stay.

It includes 2 bottles of water per day....that's worth about $6 in The World:)

Thanks, Mom Poppins for the new thread. It looks great!

We just got back from our first stay. My girls and I loved the Dolphin. We had a really nice view where we could see in the DHS direction. The staff was absolutely fabulous. My girls particularly loved going through the lobby and looking at the "sky" with the stars as you walk in from the parking lot.

We had a room with a balcony which was an upgrade from management from several months ago (long story, but nothing horrible). If I was with another adult or we were in the room more this would have been great but I won't actually order one in the future as we were happy with just the window.

It was a really long walk from our car to our room, and, pretty much anywhere from our room. My girls were real troopers though and my eldest DD11 liked the fact that she remembered our orientation better than I did. :rotfl2:

I collected SPG points by declining housekeeping. I was happy to do this as I always knew where my stuff was when I came back and we are really tidy.

The fridge did not keep things very cold but I followed the advice given on the old thread to keep the bucket of ice in the fridge and it was fine. Luckily we weren't terribly far from the ice machine. I could have complained about it I suppose, and maybe it would have been the right thing to do but the ice bucket in the fridge fixed it for us.

Again, the staff was stellar. I (unknowingly) left the lights on in my car while unloading and when I went to move it to a closer parking spot the battery was totally dead. They called security who got me revved up. The man who jump started my car was extra cool.

The walking around was a bit frustrating until we figured out a few things that don't work as well. We preferred walking to Epcot by way of the Boardwalk. We tried both ways.

I'd like to try the Swan as would my younger DD but my older DD is hooked on the Dolphin.

The Starbucks coffee in the room was perfect. We loved the Shine shampoo and conditioner on our hair.

Overall, a big :thumbsup2

P.S. Looks like I'll have to figure out how to get rid of the ticker at the bottom. I guess it thinks we are planning on going back next year already. :)

It includes 2 bottles of water per day....that's worth about $6 in The World:)

LOL yes and those bottles of water will come in handy for sure as we pretty much only drink water!

I have a question about Garden Grove...we are staying mid June and there is no availability for breakfast during our week stay.:eek: I was able to get all of my other ADR's for Epcot restaurants, but nothing here? What are the chances we can walk up?:confused: TIA!

LOL yes and those bottles of water will come in handy for sure as we pretty much only drink water!

I have a question about Garden Grove...we are staying mid June and there is no availability for breakfast during our week stay.:eek: I was able to get all of my other ADR's for Epcot restaurants, but nothing here? What are the chances we can walk up?:confused: TIA!

Reservations are not available for Garden Grove's weekend buffet brunches. Walk up is the only option.

We just returned from the Swan and we loved it!
We have stayed at Poly, YC, BCV and now Swan. I would definitely stay there again the rooms were great and the beds were sooo comfortable. A long walk to parking I agree and if you do laundry it was in the Dolphin but the service was great and location was wonderful.

Reservations are not available for Garden Grove's weekend buffet brunches. Walk up is the only option.

Oh thanks! But I was trying to get a Weds morning breakfast reservation. There are no charaters during the week at breakfast. I checked their website and it seems they don't offer reservations on any day. I find that odd especially since they have character breakfast and dinners....even Med. Fresh Market has reservations.:confused3

I tried to find the answer but had no luck...is there a reason why the swan is more expensive than the dolphin? Also, any tips for booking a room? Several years ago when I was pricing out a trip, the tip was to book a standard and use the SPG card to get upgraded at check in. Is that still the same?

I tried to find the answer but had no luck...is there a reason why the swan is more expensive than the dolphin? Also, any tips for booking a room? Several years ago when I was pricing out a trip, the tip was to book a standard and use the SPG card to get upgraded at check in. Is that still the same?

The Swan is a Westin and the Dolphin is a Sheraton. Westins are typically more expensive than Sheratons in any city in the world. An SPG member is more likely to get an upgrade than a non member but it's not guaranteed. I would call and ask the agent to find you the best rate for your dates. If you are flexible and willing to try either property you're more likely to find something you're happy with. Think about any discounts you may be eligible for. Do you have AAA? Does your work get you a discount? Are you a Florida resident? Do you have an annual pass? Even being an SPG member can get you a discount sometimes.

Called to try to get a room at the Swan today and were told they (and the Dolphin) are completely booked for these dates.

Is this probably a convention or is it Food and Wine crowds? If I keep calling do you think something might open up? If its a convention maybe some rooms not booked would be released later? Is it worth calling AAA to see if they can get something?

We really enjoyed our stay in December last year and would love to be near the action for food and wine!

Called to try to get a room at the Swan today and were told they (and the Dolphin) are completely booked for these dates.

Is this probably a convention or is it Food and Wine crowds? If I keep calling do you think something might open up? If its a convention maybe some rooms not booked would be released later? Is it worth calling AAA to see if they can get something?

We really enjoyed our stay in December last year and would love to be near the action for food and wine!
I'm sure the fact that the Gartner Symposium is being held at the Dolphin from Oct 21-25 has a lot to do with lack of availability. Additional rooms may open up as the deadline for registering for the conference and lodging approaches, but it's hard to say for certain if there will be rooms open during your dates.

We went this week last year (and loved it), but moved our trip up a week (to Oct 13-19) this year, specifically to avoid this conference.

Are you at all flexible with your dates?

I'm sure the fact that the Gartner Symposium is being held at the Dolphin from Oct 21-25 has a lot to do with lack of availability. Additional rooms may open up as the deadline for registering for the conference and lodging approaches, but it's hard to say for certain if there will be rooms open during your dates.

We went this week last year (and loved it), but moved our trip up a week (to Oct 13-19) this year, specifically to avoid this conference.

Are you at all flexible with your dates?

Thank you for the quick reply. I knew I could count on DISers for some ideas!

Unfortunately we can't really change dates. That is my son's fall break so he will only miss a couple of days of school this way. Don't really want to take a whole week off anymore. I would love to be there for the Food and Wine Classic though.

Do you have any idea when the Gartner Symposium advance registration will end? I will try to find out online too. I have never heard of it and maybe info isn't publicly available?

Thank you for the quick reply. I knew I could count on DISers for some ideas!

Unfortunately we can't really change dates. That is my son's fall break so he will only miss a couple of days of school this way. Don't really want to take a whole week off anymore. I would love to be there for the Food and Wine Classic though.

Do you have any idea when the Gartner Symposium advance registration will end? I will try to find out online too. I have never heard of it and maybe info isn't publicly available?
Here's the link for the symposium: Gartner Symposium.

It looks like the booking doesn't even begin until the end of April. There's also a reference to an Early Bird booking discounts, which ends on August 24th.

You can try calling the resort directly, to see if they can provide you with any additional information. Other than that, all I can suggest is checking back every couple of weeks, to see if there's availability.

I know it has to be frustrating not to be able to book the dates you want. Is a split stay an option? Looks like the Swan is available from Oct 25th on...maybe you can book another hotel for the first 3 nights. Then, if the rest of your dates open up, you can just re-book your stay for the entire week.

Here's the link for the symposium: Gartner Symposium.

It looks like the booking doesn't even begin until the end of April. There's also a reference to an Early Bird booking discounts, which ends on August 24th.

You can try calling the resort directly, to see if they can provide you with any additional information. Other than that, all I can suggest is checking back every couple of weeks, to see if there's availability.

I know it has to be frustrating not to be able to book the dates you want. Is a split stay an option? Looks like the Swan is available from Oct 25th on...maybe you can book another hotel for the first 3 nights. Then, if the rest of your dates open up, you can just re-book your stay for the entire week.

Thanks Lexi. Wow, that's an expensive conference! Anyway, I think Aug 24 will be getting too late for my uber planning personality

Yes, I'll probably be calling. Too bad there's no waiting lists for hotel rooms .

I think a split stay might be a good option here but I know DH didn't really fancy the idea of a split stay for a 7 or 8 night trip when we have discussed it before. But maybe this time around he will agree. If he can walk home rather than take a bus after I drag him to the Pointer Sisters at Eat to the Beat. :rotfl2:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter