The *NEW* Polynesian Resort FAQ thread - *SEPT 2008*

Status
Not open for further replies.
we are stay at Poly for the first time, also World first timers.

Right now, I am booked with GardenView but they didn't say where??

Can I request a specific GV? THANKS

Yeah, you can request a specific GV longhouse. No guarantees you'll get it though.

Good morning Poly Fans!

Well, the kids are back at school, DH is " On The Road Again" and the housework/bills etc are all caught up. I can finally give you guys a trip report.

Dec. 20 2008. We arrived at the Poly via Magical Express at 12:45 pm to begin the first leg of our land/sea package. This was our second WDW vacation, and our first stay at the Poly. It was myself, DH, and boy/girl twins age 16. Thanks to this thread, I knew we had to check in at the Hawaii building. I went to the Valet parking desk out front as there was no one on hand to meet us. For some reason I thought there would be. :confused3 They were super nice,but I felt a moment of panic as our upgrade to club level wasn't in his system.:scared1: I guess there was supposed to have been something in our travel docs saying we were club level, but there wasn't. No need for the panic, he placed a call to the concierge staff, who thankfully, were expecting us:worship: They sent someone to meet us. Very sweet guy, can't remember his name though as I was in awe of the beauty of the Poly. We were taken to the Hawaii building via golf cart. DH and the kids were taken to the room by this guy who was giving DH a hard time because he kept trying to help with our carry on luggage:rotfl2:
I checked in with Becky and during the process, found out we were given a 1st floor lagoon view room. I sat there trying to figure out if I should mention we had requested a 3rd floor lagoon view. She asked if there was a problem and I told her. Before I knew it she had checked her computer, told me they had one room available on the 3rd floor. She then called the room, and told my family to meet us in the lobby. They did, and she made us new KTTW cards to 3502! I was speechless! This has got to be the best room at the Poly! Direct view of the castle from our balcony. . It was just around the corner from the elevator, and just two doors down from the lounge(where BTW, DS spent alot of time watching football on the 3rd floor TV.:happytv: )

Disneyvacation084.jpg

We were starving as we had an early flight from Dallas and nothing was open to eat. We had 4:45 ADR for Sci Fi Dine in, and didn't want to ruin our dinner by eating lunch at 2:00. Instead we hit the lounge. Let me tell you. Chips, salsa, and chocolate chip cookies never tasted so good!:lmao: After our snack we headed for the bus stop and Hollywood Studios for the evening. Back to our room just in time to catch the Electric Water Pagent and Wishes. DH went to the lounge and got us some yummy desserts, some more of that yummy mango juice, and we settled down on the balcony to watch the fireworks. It was a little odd to have both the pagent and Wishes going on at the same time, but the pagent was over with quickly. Wishes was spectacular! Afterwards DD and I went down to the beach and lay in a hammock listening to the little show from MK. You can hear everything, even if you can't see it. We watched the castle change color for awhile, but got cold and went back to the room. We all crashed soon after. Actually, DH was already asleep when we got back.:rolleyes1 The one and only complaint, and it didn't bother me as much as it did DS, would be the launch whistle. The launch is very close to the Hawaii building, and even with the balcony door closed, it can be heard. To me, it's just part of being on the beach side. DS however, didn't like being woke up at 7:30-8:00 am.:rotfl:
We were so tired, we slept though our ADR for Kona Cafe. We ate some pasteries from the Lounge, enjoyed some more mango juice( I wish I could have brought that stuff home!) then headed for Epcot. The TTC was an easy walk from the Hawaii building. Great time was had by all at Epcot. No ADR for dinner. We had lunch in the park, then DH and DS went back to the Poly for a nap and some TV. DD and I stood in line two hours for Soar'n as they had run out of fast passes by the time we got there..:headache: But it was soooo worth it. They have this interactive game which everyone got into, so the wait didn't seem as bad. The guys had the pulled pork sandwichs from the lounge. Then met us back at Epcot for out fastpass time on test track. Afterwards we grabbed a bite from the electric umbrella and headed back for Wishes and dessert on our balcony.
Day three was Magic Kingdom day. We woke up to very cold temps. I felt like we were back in Oklahoma. I out on a pair of capris ,lightweight jacket,and sandals. I mean this is Florida. It'll warm up and be a beautiful day. Right? We went to Kona Cafe for breakfast. DD tried the Tonga Toast. DH and HS got the Big Kahuna, and I had the Madadamia Nut pancakes. We all LOVED everything! Course, it was also the first real breakfast we had since leaving home:rotfl2: Finished breakfast, and decided it was too cold for the launch to MK, so opted for the monorail. So did everyone else on the monorail line.:laughing: Took two trains before enough people got off so we could get on. Finally, we got there. Walked through the gates, and ....Wall to wall people. It was PACKED! We headed straight for Space Mountain for fast passes. Got them, and headed for Huanted Mansion, no wait. Then Big Thunder Mountain Railroad. 30 min wait, which was actually much less. Next we had about 20 minutes to kill till we could get another fast pass for Splash Mountain. Figured we'd look through a shop or two. We walked by SM and low and behold, the wait time was less than fast pass! Oh yeah, forgot to tell you. It hadn't warmed up all that much. Anyway, we got in line and rode Splash Mountain. Yeah, it was chilly, but we couldn't leave without doing Space Mountain! Afterwards, DS went back to the resort to thaw out. All that walking though the crowd kept me warm in spite of being in capris and sandals. Next up was Pirates Of The Caribbean, again no wait. I don't know what all those masses of people were doing that day, but it wasn't riding the rides:dance3: We then grabbed some lunch,and did a little shopping. Had considered going back to the resort till time for our fast pass time for space mountain. But we only had an hour or so. Wandered around, watched a parade, then went to meed DS at the front of the park. See, he had his nose stuck in his cell phone all morning and didn't pay attention to where space mountain was. Therefore he had no idea where to go:headache: Meet him, plowed back through the crowd to space mountain. After that we stopped in the Laugh Floor. Just to warm up. It was really getting cold as evening approached. The show was better than I expected, considering we have teenagers. Afterwards, we decided to go back to the resort, and get room service and pack. On the way we saw an artist working. We had drawings done of the twins 8 years ago during our first visit to WDW. We thought how cool it would be to get another one to hang beside the first one. It was getting colder by the minute, and it seemed to be taking forever. Meanwhile, I am still in my capris and sandals. Once the drawing was finished, it was almost time for Spectra Magic. The guys, went back to the hotel,while DD and I stayed. We wanted to watch the parade, and wishes from Main Street. We did some shopping and bought a blanket to cover my poor freezing legs and feet. Sparcta Magic was fabulous! We had a great spot to watch wishes from. As beautiful as it is from the Poly beach or balcony, it is nothing compared to being there on main street. Afterwards we headed to the gates with the masses. The ramp to the MK/TTC monorail was jam packed with people. We decided we would tough it out and take the launch back to the Poly. Of course it wasn't at the dock when we got there, but we looked up at the resort monorail. NO ONE was there! We looked ant each other and made a mad dash up the ramp before it could get crowded. We waited maybe two or three minutes for the train to arrive, and were the first to board. Ahhh the blessed warmth! I called DH and asked him we were on our way and to please draw me a hot bubble bath and have a cup of hot cocoa ready for me. No sitting on the balcony that night.We slept in on day four. Had breakfast from the selection in the lounge. Did some packing as DCL was to pick up our luggage at 8 am the next morning, and I learned my lesson 8 years ago about packing at midnight after a long day in MK,.I won't tell you which article of much needed clothing was packed, and on the way to the ship when I went to get dressed. But it required me to wear my windbreaker over my WDW t-shirt all day.:rotfl2: DH and I enjoyed a nice walk around the property, and finally got some hammock time on the beach. Later that afternoon we headed back to the bus stop and boarded the bus for DTD. Had tickets for Cirque on our last night. Did a little shopping in the Marketplace, then headed to the Westside for dinner at Planet Hollywood before the show. Can't say enough good things about La Nuba. It was fantastic! We grabbed the bus back to the Poly, and made it just in time for our last Wishes performance. This time the electric pagent used two sets of barges and since it started well before Wishes, had music. We grabbed some dessert from the lounge, and sat on our balcony one last time to enjoy Wishes. Was it us, or did it seem brighter and more beautiful than day one?
Our last morning, and it was time for one last breakfast at Kona Cafe. DD again got the Tonga toast, the rest of us got the Big Kahuna. Once again, the food and the service were top notch.:thumbsup2 Back to our room to get our day bags, and we were ready to board the bus to the port for the cruise portion of our Disney Christmas vacation.
Of the two vacations to WDW, this one was ever so much more relaxing. We still got to see and do what we wanted to, and were able to go back to the resort when we felt we needed a break. I'm hoping next time DH and I can go by ourselves. I could seriously spend a week at the resort and never even go to a park.:rolleyes1 Ok, maybe a couple parks:lmao:

Great report! I hope we will hear about the cruise too! It is interesting to read a report about a family with teenagers that can just go back to the resort when they want to. Great idea, especially staying at the Poly and it being so easy to get back to. There were a few times I wish I could have sent my son back to the resort!! But he is only 10 and they frown upon that!

What a beautiful view! That is worth the price in itself!

It sounds like you truely enjoyed your stay at the Poly, as did we, and now I am afraid we are so spoiled by it, Im not sure anything can compare.

Our next trip is to Saratoga springs resort in May for our first DVC stay. If they ever put DVC at the Poly we will be the first in line to add on to our points!

I had to subscribe to this thread! We just got back from a wonderful stay at the BWI and now I'm trying to get pumped up about our stay at the PR:)

We've had many great memories while staying at the Polynesian. We have not been there since August 2004:eek: It is our overall favorite resort so I am very excited to get back to it! We've been back to visit on every trip, so it will be nice to be able to really get into the Polynesian spirit. I can't wait to see the new rooms!

We're going in June. Staying in a LVC room which I :cloud9:

Looking forward to getting filled in!

Great report! I hope we will hear about the cruise too! It is interesting to read a report about a family with teenagers that can just go back to the resort when they want to. Great idea, especially staying at the Poly and it being so easy to get back to. There were a few times I wish I could have sent my son back to the resort!! But he is only 10 and they frown upon that!

What a beautiful view! That is worth the price in itself!

It sounds like you truely enjoyed your stay at the Poly, as did we, and now I am afraid we are so spoiled by it, Im not sure anything can compare.

Our next trip is to Saratoga springs resort in May for our first DVC stay. If they ever put DVC at the Poly we will be the first in line to add on to our points!

It was wonderful to be able to let him go back on his own. He is in his " dark place" at the moment. Not much makes him smile, and heaven forbid he have a good time. I can't count the times he mumbled about he's 16 and we take him to DISNEY!Like it's a dirty word or something.:lmao:Of course he got up and went with us every morning, and I did catch him smiling every now and then. It was so easy to let him go back than to listen to him grumble and complain about standing in line for something he didn't want to do. Cirque was one thing he actually said he wanted to do. Matter of fact, had he not seen it on Travel Channel( Samantha Brown rocks!) I wouldn't have spent the money to go. But when DS actually expressed interest in something, I had to make sure we did it. I was so glad we did too. It was worth every penny.

Ooooh...thats why we didnt get turndown service in July when we stayed at the poly!!! You have to request it! I will definately request it then! I love coming in to a freshly turned down bed! reminds me of when my mama did it for me when I was little!!!:goodvibes

We are leaving next Friday, and although Im not a huge Poly fan, but a GF fan..I know...I know...all you Poly addicts! .:eek: and my DH is a HUGE poly fan, I am going to give it a better shot this time! LOL I will report back when we get back home!

I hope we get a nice Lagoon view! Im super picky about my views!
:snooty:

Well Its done, we arrive at the Poly on February 17th Club Level, departing on the 24th. Who do I contact with room requests, I figured I would request a 3rd floor lagoon view and see what happens. I think we are booked for garden but I thought it smart to make the request....

other than the dining reservations, is thee any other details one should rake care of before arrival?

I can't wait to read this thread. I just booked the Poly Nov. 29th - Dec. 5th. I have always dreamed of staying here and now I get to and during the Christmas Holiday time. I am so excited. :cool1: My dd loves Stitch and the boys love the monorail. They are going to love this. They don't know we are going yet. I won't tell them until it gets closer just in case something happens but I am so excited. :banana:

Hey folks! Sorry for the delay in posting but I've just gotten around to getting my photos uploaded. I'm still writing my review of the Hawaii building but today I figured I'd let you guys see all the photos I took around the GCH at the Poly during Christmas. Enjoy! :thumbsup2

PC290456.jpg

One of the decorated windows in BouTiki

P1010400.jpg

A BouTiki Tiki decked out in a garland of evergreens and orchids.

P1010399.jpg

More Poly merchandise. Note the pretty drinking glasses and coffee tumbler with the Polynesian Resort logo on them...

P1010390.jpg

Gingerbread house interpretation of Hawai'i's oldest church

P1010391.jpg

More info about the church

PC290454.jpg

Gingerbread house interpretation of Iolani Palace

PC280446.jpg

The Tiki Hut gingerbread house at Kona Island coffee bar welcomes us to the 2nd level...

P1010395.jpg

Christmas tree at the exit to the monorail platform

P1010394.jpg

More gingerbread houses on the 2nd level...

P1010393.jpg

It's the 'Island hopper' airplane hangar...

P1010398.jpg

Love the Polynesian Mickey and Minnie in Trader Jacks....

P1010397.jpg

Donald's pesky nephews aren't far behind...

PC300473.jpg

The concierge lounge at the Poly all decked out for Christmas. That 'flash' in the background is the castle with all the 'ice lights' on it...

PC300474.jpg

More decorations in the concierge lounge...

Some people think the Poly isn't 'Christmasy' enough. Personally I love the island cultural interpretation of the holiday. Seeing the evergreens decorated with various orchids and other island accents, listening to the hawaiian christmas carols (hearing 'Silent Night' sung in Hawaiian is so hauntingly beautiful), it really adds a different dimension to the holiday. I was born and raised in the cold north so trust me, snow at Christmas is overrated. I'd much prefer the warm Poly and Christmas lights wrapped around a palm tree. :thumbsup2

WOW!! LOVE this board. It is all the info we could possibly need (just about).

It is official as of an hour ago. I have booked a package in a 1 bedroom- Lagoon View Suite CL for June 2009. Does anyone have photos of that room to share? Am I reading correctly? Is it located in the Tonga Building? Sorry for all the ?'s I have only been to WDW 1 time-and only just so. We went in Aug. '08 and stayed at POR. That was a family trip.

This trip however is gonna be a graduation treat for 3 (maybe 5 total) of us graduating nurses from ourselves. A bunch of Graduate Mommys livin' it up at the World. Those drinks are looking GREAT back on the first and second pages.:)

Just had to share my excitement.

Is it June yet? (June 1-5, 2009) WOOT!!!!! Poly here we come!! I hope you're ready for us!

MsSB, great pictures. I missed the one by the Kona Coffee Bar when we stayed at the Polynesian last weekend...so cute.

photomama-
We stayed in Samoa, 3rd floor, facing the volcano pool and loved the location. It was neat to see the smoking volcano at night from our balcony and we could also see the water pageant from there, too. It was a quick walk to pretty much everywhere. Loved the location. The only negative we found with this building is that on some nights there were loud children playing out in the pool (we're talking around 11:00 or midnight!) and we could hear the screaming and carrying on in our room. That made it hard to fall asleep. I'm sure some of the other guests in nearby buildings could hear the noise, too. Despite that, we're requesting it again for our upcoming trip. We were very happy with our stay.

MsStinkerBelle,

Thanks so much for posting the photos. I'm really looking forward to reading your review when you're done with it.

lyndrajo3,

I do believe that all the CL suites are located in the Tonga building, but I'm sure someone who knows more than me will come along and give you some more information soon. Congrats on the graduation!:) Your trip sounds like a great way to celebrate!

MsStinkerBelle: WOW! Great photos! Thanks for sharing!! Can't wait to read your trip report. We love the Hawaii building and everything about CL there!! Glad you had such a great trip!!!

I heard that when you check into the Poly, they greet you with leis..is this true? Just curious...there are a bunch of us going for a Grand Gathering. We would love to have them, but can get them ourselves if necessary.
TIA!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter