The *NEW* Polynesian Resort FAQ thread - *SEPT 2008*

Status
Not open for further replies.
How's the water on the beach? I'd love to go swimming and play around in the sand but I hardly ever see anyone in the water. They're all at the pool!

How's the water on the beach? I'd love to go swimming and play around in the sand but I hardly ever see anyone in the water. They're all at the pool!

That's because swimming in the lake is prohibited; it's dangerous and unhealthy. The only swimming allowed on property is the pools.

That's because swimming in the lake is prohibited; it's dangerous and unhealthy. The only swimming allowed on property is the pools.

Oh, wow. Sorry, my bad :rotfl: I'm from Washington where we swim in lakes all the time. I guess i'll just lay on the beach and stick to swimming in the pool :thumbsup2

Oh, wow. Sorry, my bad :rotfl: I'm from Washington where we swim in lakes all the time. I guess i'll just lay on the beach and stick to swimming in the pool :thumbsup2

That's how it is most places, but in FL it's unsafe to swim in non salt water lakes because of some virus which can be deadly. In the beginning, swimming was allowed in the lake but hasn't been for many years. It's still safe to play in the sand on the beach and to get your feet wet on the edge of the shore, but not actual swimming. I'm sure someone will be along with better details, but in a nutshell, it's not allowed.

That's how it is most places, but in FL it's unsafe to swim in non salt water lakes because of some virus which can be deadly. In the beginning, swimming was allowed in the lake but hasn't been for many years. It's still safe to play in the sand on the beach and to get your feet wet on the edge of the shore, but not actual swimming. I'm sure someone will be along with better details, but in a nutshell, it's not allowed.

Thanks for telling me, I would have jumped right in :scared: I'll take my vacations without deadly viruses thank you very much :rotfl:

I'm really looking forward to watching the fireworks from the pool anyways

I must say that I was there early enough to have been swimming in the lake and lived to tell the tale. They served cocktails on the beach then,and there were no buses because there was nowhere to go but the magic kingdom and the contemporary.

They also used to show old disney films on the beach at night

Thank you luvs eeyore!!!

Here's our view from our balcony:
IMG_0304.jpg

My kids in front of the GCH
IMG_0593.jpg

My kids in the hammock - they LOVED the hammocks!!!

IMG_0601.jpg

Had to get one with the castle in the background!!!!

IMG_0606.jpg

I must say that I was there early enough to have been swimming in the lake and lived to tell the tale. They served cocktails on the beach then,and there were no buses because there was nowhere to go but the magic kingdom and the contemporary.

They also used to show old disney films on the beach at night

Welcome to the DIS!:cheer2:

My family used to swim in Seven Seas Lagoon as well. Remember how there used to be a swimming area roped off?

But you were there before our first stay in 83 as I don't remember movies on the beach.

I think the problem is amoeba not a virus.

FreFam5, great pictures and congratulations on posting pictures. I've never been able to do it without a link! Your children are beautiful and look so full of joy. Our three loved those hammocks too and we have some shots from over the years that are so precious to me.

FreFam5 thanks for posting your pics. The first time I posted I had to go step by step with instructions that are somewhere here on the dis. My ds10 can't wait to hang out in one of the hammocks. He would CBR again just to swing in the hammocks. We will be at the Poly for the first time in less than 2 weeks!!!

Great Pics FreFam5! Thanks for sharing!!

I also think you have a cute bunch there! They look so happy to be at the Poly, but who wouldn't be? :rotfl:

Great pictures FreFam5! Aren't those hammocks great? I can't wait until December when DD and I will get to hang out again on those while watching the fireworks.

And the always-possible 'water moccasin' (snake). :scared:

Oh Good Lord, that would put me into cardiac arrest!! I can't even read those "snake in my room" posts, especially the one about the snake and her nest in a room at the Contemporary :scared1: ....I couldn't even open that first post because I knew I'd never be able to sleep at the Poly if I did.

I know, most snakes are harmless, and it's Florida, it happens; but I have a massive phobia of snakes and anything that closely resembles them (yeah, I can't look at worms either)...every trip I pray and pray I don't see a snake of any kind. I can handle gators, but NOT SNAKES!!

I know, most snakes are harmless, and it's Florida, it happens; but I have a massive phobia of snakes and anything that closely resembles them (yeah, I can't look at worms either)...every trip I pray and pray I don't see a snake of any kind. I can handle gators, but NOT SNAKES!!

You're like me with spiders. :scared: Ever since I was 5 years old visiting relatives in Florida I have seen the wierdest-colored, hugest, scariest ones there. But usually they're out in the thick brush of the country.

Water snakes, gators, palmetto bugs and other crawly things just come with the territory in Florida. :goodvibes The worst I've seen at the Poly was a cricket who decided the bathroom was way cooler than being outside. :lmao: I know when I was a grad student at the Kennedy Space Center, 8 foot gators used to hang out regularly in the drainage ditches.

Oh Good Lord, that would put me into cardiac arrest!! I can't even read those "snake in my room" posts, especially the one about the snake and her nest in a room at the Contemporary :scared1: ....I couldn't even open that first post because I knew I'd never be able to sleep at the Poly if I did.

WHAT!!!!!??????!!!!!! Someone had snakes in their room. As much as I love the Poly I would have to high tail it right out of there if there was a snake in my room. I'm cringing just writing about it!!!!

WHAT!!!!!??????!!!!!! Someone had snakes in their room. As much as I love the Poly I would have to high tail it right out of there if there was a snake in my room. I'm cringing just writing about it!!!!

The snake was in a room at the Contemporary, not the Poly. But my theory is, if it can happen at the Contemporary, couldn't it happen at the Poly? :confused3

NO NO NO!!!! (happy thoughts, happy thoughts) ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter