• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The NEW Official SHADES OF GREEN Information (YouTube Video Info in 1st Post)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hope someone here can answer this question. I know they are doing construction around the GF to the Poly. Does this construction hinder walking from SOG to the Poly Great Ceremony House?

We are in planning stages for a October trip.

Thank you in advance.

Angel16

No........we walked over from SoG as normal.

So whats everyones opinion on the BEST rooms at SOG? I think I want to be closer to the lobby? We have a 3 and 1 year old.... So first floor a good bet? And is near lobby better ?

Any tips and advice pretty please

I really like 201, 202 - in that area. I prefer the old building wing (I feel like the room is bigger even though I know it's not!) and this is the shortest walk possible from the lobby (lobby is on 2). I was worried that it would be loud because everyone in that wing HAS to walk past it, but it reallly was no different than the other rooms we stayed in.

So whats everyones opinion on the BEST rooms at SOG? I think I want to be closer to the lobby? We have a 3 and 1 year old.... So first floor a good bet? And is near lobby better ?

Any tips and advice pretty please

My fave area to stay is 2102 or somewhere close to it. It is right down from the lobby and faces either the pond or the golf course. I would not ask for ground floor myself. Only because of the wild life. Nothing outragous like gators tapping at your door or anything, but there are frogs, ducks, turkeys and some creepy crawlies. Just my oppinion. :lmao:

Just returned from an excellent week at SOG on Wednesday. It was an outstanding trip. We had gorgeous weather and a great experience overall. This was our third time staying at SOG, though our last trip to Disney was at POR. I'm glad that we tried an official Disney resort like POR, but we realized that we are much happier staying at SOG. The extra space is wonderful for our two small children and we meet so many friendly folks staying there.

Our first evening, we were walking around and a very sweet woman in a wheelchair gave our DD (3.5) her beautiful princess balloon from the parks. DD was thrilled and spent the trip talking about the nice lady who loved princesses just like her.

We seldom rode the bus (we prefer to use Poly transportation like the MK boat or monorail) but when we did, folks were always offering me a seat so that I didn't have to balance my 9-month-old and hold my three-year-old's hand. (DH has stroller duty when we ride the bus.) This is certainly not something that I expect, but it never happened on a POR bus and it was a relief to be able to hold the kids in my lap rather than balance them or wait through multiple buses.

One evening after catching the Poly bus back from Epcot (a great tip for those that stay until Epcot closes, everyone staying at the Poly must try to take the monorail because the bus was empty) a member of our group got very ill and threw up. I called for the Shady Shuttle and a very nice bellhop came to pick us up promptly even though the golf carts were all put away for the night!

We seldom ate at Shades, so I don't need to complain about the food ;). We got by on one sit down Disney meal per day plus snacks brought from home, a grocery store run by my in laws (who had a rental car), and a flatbread or two from the Poly cafeteria.

I think the only thing I wish Shades had (because we can work around the poor dining options) is a more exciting pool. We are going back to Disney in September and my sister has requested that we utilize the military discount and stay at the Beach Club because of the amazing pool. We are obliging her because I don't know that Disney will offer such a great military discount in the future and that her kids will really appreciate an incredible pool, but I know we'll be back to SOG again.

My fave area to stay is 2102 or somewhere close to it. It is right down from the lobby and faces either the pond or the golf course. I would not ask for ground floor myself. Only because of the wild life. Nothing outragous like gators tapping at your door or anything, but there are frogs, ducks, turkeys and some creepy crawlies. Just my oppinion. :lmao:

Ohh good point! Thanks so much!

Staying at SOG may 3rd to the 9TH. Anyone else?:banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:

We will be there 1-8 :banana:

Just returned from an excellent week at SOG on Wednesday. It was an outstanding trip. We had gorgeous weather and a great experience overall. This was our third time staying at SOG, though our last trip to Disney was at POR. I'm glad that we tried an official Disney resort like POR, but we realized that we are much happier staying at SOG. The extra space is wonderful for our two small children and we meet so many friendly folks staying there.

Our first evening, we were walking around and a very sweet woman in a wheelchair gave our DD (3.5) her beautiful princess balloon from the parks. DD was thrilled and spent the trip talking about the nice lady who loved princesses just like her.

We seldom rode the bus (we prefer to use Poly transportation like the MK boat or monorail) but when we did, folks were always offering me a seat so that I didn't have to balance my 9-month-old and hold my three-year-old's hand. (DH has stroller duty when we ride the bus.) This is certainly not something that I expect, but it never happened on a POR bus and it was a relief to be able to hold the kids in my lap rather than balance them or wait through multiple buses.

One evening after catching the Poly bus back from Epcot (a great tip for those that stay until Epcot closes, everyone staying at the Poly must try to take the monorail because the bus was empty) a member of our group got very ill and threw up. I called for the Shady Shuttle and a very nice bellhop came to pick us up promptly even though the golf carts were all put away for the night!

We seldom ate at Shades, so I don't need to complain about the food ;). We got by on one sit down Disney meal per day plus snacks brought from home, a grocery store run by my in laws (who had a rental car), and a flatbread or two from the Poly cafeteria.

I think the only thing I wish Shades had (because we can work around the poor dining options) is a more exciting pool. We are going back to Disney in September and my sister has requested that we utilize the military discount and stay at the Beach Club because of the amazing pool. We are obliging her because I don't know that Disney will offer such a great military discount in the future and that her kids will really appreciate an incredible pool, but I know we'll be back to SOG again.

Yay for an exciting trip!! And some nice tips:woohoo:

Glad to hear you had a great trip. We will be staying at SOG for the 1st time in just 2 wks and 3 days. Hope we have a great stay also.

I thought the SOG maps were in this thread somewhere. Does anyone remember what page. I can't find them. TIA

Is there a site that explains more detail of requirements for staying at SOG? It states that family members of veterans are eligible, but are there age limitations also?

Is there a site that explains more detail of requirements for staying at SOG? It states that family members of veterans are eligible, but are there age limitations also?

http://www.shadesofgreen.org/booking.htm That doesn't seem to be the answer you need.

I am sure someone else can come along with the official answer, but obviously the spouse would have no age limit. I have heard of children being able to reserve a room, in cases when the sponsor does not have custody, so I would imagine all dependent children are able to reserve rooms. They would need a military ID, so under 21 if no longer a full time student and under 23 if a full time student. I could be wrong, but that is my guess.

If you don't get an official answer, you can always go to the SOG facebook page http://www.facebook.com/pages/Shades-of-Green-Resort/112743409264?sk=wall and ask the question on the wall, or call SOG directly.

I have never seen anything about age requirements.

I was wondering how the area is around the Magnolia pool. I'm thinking of requesting a balcony room near there so we can access the hot tub easily. Has anyone stayed in that area or am I better off asking to stay on the other side of the resort? This trip it is just dh and I so we are planning to relax alot.

We are going to WDW September 17 for 5 nights and have decided to stay at SOG. My sister and her husband will be there at the same time, but are not eligible, and also want to stay at GF. My question is, they are driving and we are flying. If we want to go out for dinner offsite, can they come to our resort to pick us up? I have read that only eligible guests are allowed at SOG. I guess we could meet them at the Poly or even at their resort, but its just so convenient for them to pick us up. Also since my DH is a combat veteran (this is why we can are going in September), and not currently enlisted or retired, could someone explain how to buy Disney tix? Can we buy onsite at SOG? Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter