The NEW Official SHADES OF GREEN Information (YouTube Video Info in 1st Post)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just made my ressies for May!!!! :banana::banana::banana: I usually don't make them until January, but I just couldn't wait anymore. :lmao:

I also checked out the Disney moderates since there is a 40% discount. But for the $10 difference, I will stay at Shades. The rooms seem very small at the moderates and, for the most part, the only trans choice is a bus. At least at Shades, there are buses and the monorail and boats across the street. Besides, I just love the military family atmosphere at Shades.

I thought that moderates were 35% off and deluxe 40%. Has Disney changed the discount? I checked the website and didn't see anything. I might want to do some more checking around if they have gone up to 40% on moderates. We currently have Shades ressies but if it's gonna be that close I may think of switching. I'm really looking forward to our stay at Shades but the kids may like a more Disney themed place better.

I thought that moderates were 35% off and deluxe 40%. Has Disney changed the discount? I checked the website and didn't see anything. I might want to do some more checking around if they have gone up to 40% on moderates. We currently have Shades ressies but if it's gonna be that close I may think of switching. I'm really looking forward to our stay at Shades but the kids may like a more Disney themed place better.

Moderates are 35% off and Deluxe are 40% off. I didn't know if she was talking about the Military Discount or if maybe she had gotten a pin code.

My favorite place to stay is the second floor of the palm wing. 2101 - 2106. Close to the lobby.

Hello, my name is Jennifer. Last year my husband, daughter and I stayed at French Quarters. It was amazing. My parents want tog o back with us again this upcoming year in Oct and we are booked at SOG. My parents have stayed there before. I have not. I am the planner in my family. I am the one that gets on these boards and does the research so we are not sprung with little surprises. I was able to get a lot accomplished this past year. Are there any tips you can give me? We are staying in the palm suite that sleeps like 16 people. 3 bedroom 3 bath kitchen all the fun stuff. My husband and I didnt the dining plan this last Sept but I was now informed that we cant do it at SOG....so any suggestions. my husband, child and I are going to fly where my parents are driving down.

Any advice you can give me would be greatly appreciated. I cant seem to seem many threads on this computer but I can get to the private messages. If anyone would like to help me out, please Me me. I have several questions. I am sure they are answered in this thread somewhere but I cant see all the post.....stupid firewall.

Thanks in advance
Jennifer

Hello, my name is Jennifer. Last year my husband, daughter and I stayed at French Quarters. It was amazing. My parents want tog o back with us again this upcoming year in Oct and we are booked at SOG. My parents have stayed there before. I have not. I am the planner in my family. I am the one that gets on these boards and does the research so we are not sprung with little surprises. I was able to get a lot accomplished this past year. Are there any tips you can give me? We are staying in the palm suite that sleeps like 16 people. 3 bedroom 3 bath kitchen all the fun stuff. My husband and I didnt the dining plan this last Sept but I was now informed that we cant do it at SOG....so any suggestions. my husband, child and I are going to fly where my parents are driving down.

Any advice you can give me would be greatly appreciated. I cant seem to seem many threads on this computer but I can get to the private messages. If anyone would like to help me out, please Me me. I have several questions. I am sure they are answered in this thread somewhere but I cant see all the post.....stupid firewall.

Thanks in advance
Jennifer

WOW I didn't realize SOG had a suite that slept that many people. We love SOG, the rooms are big and comfortable. It is an easy walk over to the Poly where you can take the monoraill to MK. The buses are really good at SOG too. They are on a set schedule which I think is nice. The food is the big problem there. That is the biggest complaint you will get staying there. It is nice that they have a little PX in the resort so you can buy things cheaper than in a normal resort gift shop. A lot of time we would stop at Poly on our way home and eat at Capt. Cook's counter service before walking over to the SOG. Your parents will pay 5 bucks a day to park at SOG. They have a restaurant that serves a breakfast and dinner buffet. The breakfast is pretty good and much cheaper than Disney buffets but not as tasty. We have never tried the dinner buffet. They have an Italian restaurant that is open for dinner We tried it once. It was just okay. Just ask questions on here and you should get plenty of answers. It is an active thread. Have fun!!!

WOW I didn't realize SOG had a suite that slept that many people.

I have never stayed in a suite, so I can't say for sure, but from the material I have read there are only a 6 person and an 8 person suite. Both have just one master bedroom, right? Not sure how they are getting a suite that accommodates 16 people, with 3 bedrooms and 3 bathrooms. From the description it sounds like they are doing a suite and 2 standard rooms if they are getting the mini kitchen. :confused3

I know there's one new massive suite, but didn't know it slept 16. (I thought maybe 12?) My IL's used it last May. It looked pretty incredible from the pictures I saw.

We have always stayed at Shades of Green, though last year we stayed at POR to try something new and so that we could utilize the meal plan. Having done that, we are headed back to SOG this time. I am personally not a fan of the meal plan. It simply didn't fit our eating habits. (We had the one that was 1 CS, 1 TS and 1 snack.) The food at Shades is pretty awful. (Though, to be honest, I'm not a huge fan of DW food either.) A couple of things that we have done are bringing some food of our own and picking things up at the little store at the hotel. My amazing DH has also made the walk to the Poly at night to pick up a late night snack for us a couple of times. This trip we will be making a list of a few items and asking our ******** driver to make a quick courtesy stop before our arrival to get fresh organic fruit and some wholesome snacks. (My digestive system can't handle a week of Disney-only eating.)

I love having the option to walk to the Poly and using the monorail to MK. To me, that was one of the biggest draws to return to SOG after using the bus system from POR for our entire stay last year. I also love that SOG tends to be a little quieter. (Though I'd love to see them add a little more entertainment.) For our growing family, the extra space is great, as well.

I hope you enjoy SOG!

Hello Shades friends.. I would like any opinions on a great room..We stayed ground level (Magnolia) on the alligator pond the first year. The second year we requested the top floor of the Palm wing and were able to watch the fireworks. Last year we requested and stayed right down the hall of the Magnolia wing.. (VERY close to Starbucks.) :cool1: I was wondering if there is any other part of the hotel that you all love. It sounds like the golf course view would be lovely but that top floor of the Palm was a looooong walk to get coffee in the morning.. I would love any input..:thumbsup2

I LOVED 2102 or close to it. It has a golf course/pond view, very quiet too. But the part I liked best is that it is just off the lobby and right near the parking garage, so very little walking once you get home.

You may be right. I was just told (not by anyone official) it was a 40% discount for military so I just looked up the regular prices and took 40% off.

I LOVED 2102 or close to it. It has a golf course/pond view, very quiet too. But the part I liked best is that it is just off the lobby and right near the parking garage, so very little walking once you get home.

Thanks Jusero and WDW 3... Since you both recommended the same area of rooms then I will request that.. (If I remember correctly Jusero, I will be serenaded by your little froggies.) LOL :rotfl2:

I don't know where I saw it, but did someone have a recommendation for an area in SOG to request where we can see the fireworks? I've never made a room request before. When did you call to request? Or did you just ask at check in? We have four rooms in our party, so I'm guessing a request might not even be possible.

I have never stayed in a suite, so I can't say for sure, but from the material I have read there are only a 6 person and an 8 person suite. Both have just one master bedroom, right? Not sure how they are getting a suite that accommodates 16 people, with 3 bedrooms and 3 bathrooms. From the description it sounds like they are doing a suite and 2 standard rooms if they are getting the mini kitchen. :confused3

I have never heard of a suite at SOG that accomodates that many either. Personally we book 2 rooms for our family 5. I would much rather prefer that set up anyways vs. a suite at SOG

I have never heard of a suite at SOG that accomodates that many either. Personally we book 2 rooms for our family 5. I would much rather prefer that set up anyways vs. a suite at SOG

Absolutely. With the suite all you get is one REAL bed and the rest are pull out sofas. I don't find that overly comfortable for teens and adults who weigh more than 60 pounds. With 2 standard rooms you get 4 REAL queen beds. Standard rooms offers more privacy. The microwave in the suite just isn't giving me that much more benefit over a standard room (there is always the laundry room microwave) and even though you might be able to fit 8 people in that suite, I would imagine you would still have to pay the extra $15 per every adult past the first two?? Where is the savings? It is a no brainer for me.

I don't know where I saw it, but did someone have a recommendation for an area in SOG to request where we can see the fireworks? I've never made a room request before. When did you call to request? Or did you just ask at check in? We have four rooms in our party, so I'm guessing a request might not even be possible.

That was Me... It is in the Palm wing on the top floor facing the Magic Kingdom.. (I believe she said it was the Garden View.) Regardless, the lady on the phone knew what location I was refering to. You can see about 1/2 of the fireworks (The ones real high) and it was great. On the down side, The walk to the lobby was Loooooong...Not sure that any view would have me wishing to walk that far again. ( You can You Tube Shades and that is how I found that room.) :-)

Thanks Jusero and WDW 3... Since you both recommended the same area of rooms then I will request that.. (If I remember correctly Jusero, I will be serenaded by your little froggies.) LOL :rotfl2:

If you are facing the pond, you may indeed be serenaded by my little froggy friends. I just love that sound. :lmao: Maybe I will go out and tape it on my next trip so I can hear it anytime I get the "Disney blues." :thumbsup2

There is 1 Palm Suite that can sleep up to 14 people. It has 2 standard rooms and a kids room with 2 bunk beds. It's pretty flipping amazing!! It has a living room, 2 bathrooms and a eating area with a full size fridge and a microwave and everything.

The other suites have 1 master bedroom and a living area. They're nice too, but the Palm is massive lol

We are going in March and are staying in just in a regular room. I have requested a golf course view, because in 2003 that's what we had, and I LOVED it...so peaceful. Do all the rooms still have fridges and microwaves? I was wanting to bring cereal/milk and snacks...so we need to bring a cooler if no fridge. I would really like one...do I request it? Extra cost?

Any other room requests I should ask for? We have two kids, ages 6 and 2.5,
and will have two strollers. We plan on eating breakfast at shades, or in our room some mornings, and then lunch in the parks (sit down), and some meals at Shades for dinner (due to ease with the small kids).

Thanks!

We are going in March and are staying in just in a regular room. I have requested a golf course view, because in 2003 that's what we had, and I LOVED it...so peaceful. Do all the rooms still have fridges and microwaves? I was wanting to bring cereal/milk and snacks...so we need to bring a cooler if no fridge. I would really like one...do I request it? Extra cost?

Any other room requests I should ask for? We have two kids, ages 6 and 2.5,
and will have two strollers. We plan on eating breakfast at shades, or in our room some mornings, and then lunch in the parks (sit down), and some meals at Shades for dinner (due to ease with the small kids).

Thanks!
Fridges (good sized) and microwaves are in the room at no extra cost. There is also a safe at no extra cost as well.

Fridges (good sized) and microwaves are in the room at no extra cost. There is also a safe at no extra cost as well.

Awesome! I read a recent review on Trip Advisor, where the reviewer stated that his room did not have a fridge or microwave....so then I started wondering. That will be so nice for milk, juice, etc. for the kids. I think to get to the parks early enough, a cereal/breakfast bar morning might have to work for us this time. If only I can convince DH...he likes a sit down breakfast on vacation....but it wastes so much time :rolleyes:

as far as I recall, there is no microwave in the room. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. Fridge, yes. Microwave, no.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter