The New NCL Gem, we tried it

jeppler

Mouseketeer
Well, after 4 DCL cruises on both the Magic and the Wonder the DW and I just returned from a 7 day Bahamas cruise on the 4 month old, brand new NCL Gem. I’m a big DCL fan so the chance to make a comparison was appealing. Plus, we sailed out of New York and saved airfare to MCO.

Overall, we had a great time on NCL, but here are some observations:

-Terminal building- Disney by a mile, the NCL building at the pier in New York was little more than a warehouse. And, do I need to compare the porters at DCL to the longshoremen handling luggage at the NY piers ?

-Embarkation- Disney again, knows how to move and handle huge numbers of people, We would have been in a line of 500 or more people, had we not had express embarkation because of our suite upgrade.

-Sail Away Party – NCL tried hard, champagne for all passengers upon boarding, and a live band in the big nightclub, along with barbeque stations on deck. Nobody lingered long up there, after all, it was February in New York. But, you don’t get the all-encompassing party atmosphere of DCL.

-Lobby- The NCL Gem was pretty, colorful, with a huge 2 story high Wii screen for the kids to play on. Much more cozy furniture and a bar right in the lobby, and a huge guest services desk, 3 times as large as the Magic.

-Lunch on boarding- buffet embarkation was a zoo. We should have gone to the main dining room for a sit down lunch. Nowhere left to sit when we got there, and we boarded pretty early due to our upgrade. No trays on NCL, they believe it’s too much trouble to sanitize them and also believe it prevents people from taking way too much food the first time through the line. But, try carrying your plate, drink, napkins, forks, desserts, etc without one.

-Cabins- our “mini-suite” was nice, about 290 sq ft. Right at the back of the ship, deck 10, looking at the wake of the ship as we sailed. Big balcony, 2 chairs, a lounger and a table. Huge closet, plenty of storage, coffee maker, DVD player, 36 inch flat screen TV and the usual lack of AC outlets.

-Private Island – Do I even have to say it? There is no place like Castaway Cay. All the rest of the cruise lines are just pretending. On NCL we tendered into the “private” island. The beach was about half the area of the family beach on CC and we were packed in like sardines. Mad rush for lounge chairs, no umbrellas and very little shade. Lunch was not up to par either. Buffet lines laid out badly, no trays, soda was extra $$ and a separate line and wait at another hut. Bathroom facilities were adequate, but not DCL-level clean. Tenders coming and going all day, so the whole deserted island “experience” just wasn’t there. Parasailing was ok, the crew was a laugh riot and one of the guys sailed after we all had done it and he hung himself upside down in the harness, about 100 ft in the air while we took pictures.

-the Shows- good live band, great comedian, pretty good magician and thr late night adult lounge acts and parties were on par with DCL.

-the Crew- we were really impressed, every person on the crew was friendly, helpful and tried hard to make sure we had a great time.

- Food- Entrees were possibly better on NCL and the specialty restaurants were fun and nicely decorated. The main ding room was beautiful. NCL messed up one of our reservations one night and we waited 30 minutes to be seated. They said someone had come in and claimed to have a reservation they didn't find, and after seating them, they got backed somehow. "Hey, not my problem, get me my reserved table". They did offer us a free glass of wine to shut us up. One minor problem, NCL has absolutely no “adults only” restaurants, you could end up sitting next to a noisy family with kids in any restaurant, anytime. Disney killed NCL with desserts, though. Nothing even came close to what we were used to.

Would we do NCL again ? Yes, it’s different than “coming home” to the Magic, but still worth the time and money. And hey, even a bad cruise day is better than a good day at work…

Thanks for sharing. Always nice to hear other experiences! And I sure hear you about saving some money with going out of NYC, especially since we are NYers..but CHILLY in Feb for sure!! Michelle

Thanks for posting this. Our next two cruises (one for us grownups, one for the family) are with DCL, but it's helpful to know what else is out there.

Thank you so much for posting that review. I pre-booked this past January for our next Jan.'10 DCL cruise.....but wondering if going out of NY is a good trade off for not flying. When you travel in the winter, you take a risk. My kids BEGGING not to change cruise lines, both will be eligible for the Stack next time & probably my DS's last time there. I'll probably end up sticking w/ Disney at least one more time. :thumbsup2

Thank you so much for posting that review. I pre-booked this past January for our next Jan.'10 DCL cruise.....but wondering if going out of NY is a good trade off for not flying. When you travel in the winter, you take a risk. My kids BEGGING not to change cruise lines, both will be eligible for the Stack next time & probably my DS's last time there. I'll probably end up sticking w/ Disney at least one more time. :thumbsup2
I suppose the risk of bad weather in the NY area on sailaway day is no worse than the risk of a hurricane hitting the Port Canaveral area, depending on when you sail. We liked not having to deal with airports by sailing out of NY, but the tradeoff for us was that the first and last day of the cruise may not be warm enough to even go up on deck. In the case of our 2/23-3/1/08 cruise, we lucked out and by noon of the next day after leaving it was in the upper 60s, warm enough to lounge at the pools. Coming back, the last day was freezing. It also saved a hotel room, since we always fly into MCO a day ahead of our cruise. Coming back to Connecticut from MCO, we always seem to get back around 10pm, but from NY we were home at 4pm. We booked another NCL cruise while onboard this time, maybe for 2010. Our next Disney cruise is Feb 2009, a 7 day Eastern. Can't wait to be "back home on the Magic", but NCL was a good time, too.

Thanks for the comparison, great job!
It's funny because the absolute only thing on DCL that I wouldn't give 4 stars to is the food. I was a little disappointed in the meals at the restaurants. We have had better at WDW table service restaurants. Everything else on DCL however, was beyond expectations!

Thanks for posting this. It is good to get info on other cruise lines. I just went on Carnival in January and did a comprehensive comparison report that got moved in 10 minutes by a board moderator to the Trip Report Forum where no one knows about it. I think it is nice to try to help others out with reports from other lines!

Thanks for the comparison, great job!
It's funny because the absolute only thing on DCL that I wouldn't give 4 stars to is the food. I was a little disappointed in the meals at the restaurants. We have had better at WDW table service restaurants. Everything else on DCL however, was beyond expectations!

The DCL food presentations and taste can be erratic. NCL seemed more consistent in all the restaurants. BUT, I repeat, DCL killed Norwegian in the dessert categories...even at the buffets...

Thanks for posting this. It is good to get info on other cruise lines. I just went on Carnival in January and did a comprehensive comparison report that got moved in 10 minutes by a board moderator to the Trip Report Forum where no one knows about it. I think it is nice to try to help others out with reports from other lines!

Can you post the link, please?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter