The new MK Princess Parade

dlove28

Missin' WDW
Another move that leaves me scratching my head. I'm sure guests would have been happier, and Disney recouped its investment faster, had they spent 1.5billion on ride refurbs, park expansions or even a fifth gate. But that's been discussed as nauseum here.

My current issue is with the new parade make up. It is fresh and new and my family will love it But what is with the decision to center five of the seven float units around princesses? I have three daughters and they are going to love it, but it still leaves me wondering about the decision. I loved the celebrate the dream come true parade because of diversity of the characters that were there. My daughters will love the princesses but will see them anyway and probably would appreciate a float or two for other characters like the old parade (Mary poppins, Alice, Pinocchio, etc) or even some different non princess characters if you want to separate the ideas of the two parades.

Bottom line is that I don't get the decision to go all princesses when there is such a diverse library of characters to use and the princesses are already, dare I say it, well represented in the park.

They could have still incorporate the FoF ideas for other character units and relegated the princesses to two or three floats, no?

As the new mom of a boy, I couldn't agree more. Princesses are WAY over done, and there are so many other characters that they could have used. There is a huge "cult of princess" that is negatively affecting girls, and also negatively affecting boys. I know people are going to be all: well, what about Cars and Toy Story and Wreck it Ralph, etc, but there can be so much more used or created for boys that doesn't have to be so rough and tumble. We need less pink in parades and more diversity. There's only so much pirate and cowboy that my lil'man can take.

I hadn't realized that the new parade was princess-centric. Hmmm.

I hadn't realized that the new parade was princess-centric. Hmmm.

I didn't realize that either. And while my DD will pee herself happy (ok, let's hope she doesn't actually PEE) about this new parade, it does make me side-eye the decision and wonder if there are plans to make a non princess-centric parade somewhere else to balance all the pink?

When you consider that Disney Princess is the Number 1 money making franchise in the world (ahead of Star Wars, but Disney owns that too now), it really isn't surprising. I think the new parade looks great and can't wait to see it on my May trip!

My DD just turned 9 and is slowly outgrowing the whole princess thing. I think Disney is really limiting itself by focusing so much on the princess franchise to the exclusion of everything else. Sure have the Prince$$e$ but don't forget where you came from - include the classics to make sure you keep the Disney love growing.

Right I would still want the princesses in the parade, but they could consolidate them into 2-3 floats.

Right now my understanding is that the float units are (from memory, likely not the exact order)

Princess Garden (snow white, Cindy, belle, their princesses and Anna and Elsa hanging onto the back of the float)

Brave

Little Mermaid

Tangled

Sleeping Beauty

Peter Pan

Mickey and Friends (this unit is actually 3 floats combined)

Either way you spin it 6/9 floats or 5/7 units is putting too much focus on one set of interests.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter