The new Matterhorn seats are PAINFUL!!

King Triton

DIS Veteran
We just got back from a Fabulous trip to Disneyland. :banana: We usually go to Disney World for Christmas but decided to go to Disneyland this year. I love walking the steps where Walt walked.

My only disappointment was trying to squeeze in the new Matterhorn seats. Ughh! I'm 6' 3" and I was twisted up like a pretzel trying to get my legs in. Then I had trouble getting my seat belt on. For a moment I thought the ride was going to roll on without my seat belt on. At the last check point, the friendly cast member stopped the ride and got me buckled in. OMG, with every bump, it was painful on my legs in that tight space. Why in the world did Disney change a perfect ride seat to a painful tight space for tall people like me?? I will never ride Matterhorn again. I understand if they made the change for safety...but come on....add a extra seat belt instead. Before, this was my favorite ride because I could stretch my legs in comfort. I wish Disney would rethink this and go back to the old seats. The guy behind me had the same problem. What a shame. Disney doesn't realize how many people this affects. My once favorite ride at Disneyland is now a nightmare to ride. :furious:

If Disney can cut a $4 billion dollar check to buy out Star Wars, then I know they can invest some money in re-doing the Matterhorn seats like they were before. Just sayin.... :scared1:

That is a bummer to hear.....my DH is 6'4" and there are rides that he doesn't really fit into. Calif Screamin is tough for him. When we were at DL last May, the Matterhorn was still shut down so we didn't get a chance to ride it.

I sure do miss the old Matterhorn seats. I would ride that over and over again because that used to be the most comfortable ride for me. Sadly, now there is no way I could ride it again. :worried: What was Disney thinking? :confused3 I sure hope Disney listens to feedback and maybe they'll fix it. Message to Disney...."Fix it!!" Please!!!

I wish Space Mountain was like the one in Orlando. The seating at Disneyland is side by side which is very hard for tall people to fit. I can't ride it. Space Mountain in Orlando is single seating and I can ride that one.

I was able to fit fine on California Screamin because of the shoulder bar. I wish more rides would have the shoulder bar instead of seat belts.

Hi, I don't doubt your experiences at all. I just want to add another opinion here. I am 6'4 and was completely comfortable on Space Mountain, fine on Screamin and surprisingly okay on Matterhorn. I read all the warnings about how tight the new sleds are on Matterhorn and even considered skipping the ride. This was my first Matterhorn experience so I can't compare the old version to this one.
My complaint isn't about comfort on the Matterhorn, it's that it probably should have been totally revamped--including a brand new track reconfiguration that isn't so old school. Disneyland deserves a better ride in that mountain. It's pretty lame.

DH is 6"4" and he was fine in row 1, and row 4 also has the extra leg room.
I however, with bad hips, had a hard time getting in and out :rolleyes: Slid down going in and hurt my tail bone!! Still hurts 2 weeks later. Those seats are hard!!

We are not really tall people and I've heard that a lot of people don't like the new seats. We actually liked them a lot. Sorry it was rough, it's hard to enjoy the ride when you are uncomfortable.

I'm sorry you had such a bad experience, but appreciate the warning. My dh is tall (6'1") and broad shouldered and sometimes has difficulties fitting into rides. I'll let him know he might have an issue on the Matterhorn when we're there in the spring.

I'm only 5'2" but am a little "pooh sized" and I had a hard time. I thought I tore my knee trying to get my right leg over. Never again.

That ride has given me more bruises than any other. Although with the change to Indy recently I now get back aches after each ride. This last one left me with a sore back since last Thursday still.
Stay away is all I can say... stick to the smoother rides like Space Mountain and Star Tours... It seems as though the seats on those are made to absorb the bumps more.

I agree that the new cars are not as comfortable as the old cars. I did generally find that the back seat (rows 3 and 6) were better than the middle (row 2 or 4). The only major drawback to row 3/6 is that the handle bars (built into the side of the car) are in the wrong place (at least for me)...they're too far back and I'm not that tall a person (5'1"). However, I felt like the ride is going much slower than before so it wasn't really all that necessary to hold onto anything anymore. The only other trick I found was to sit up as straight as possible to lessen the tailbone bumping and for better bracing.

I am 6'1" and 235lbs. I finally got to ride in the new Matterhorn cars a few weeks ago. I was put in the middle seat and was very reluctant about it based on the reports online. I got in fine and it was fairly comfortable though a hair tight. The roughness factor seemed similar with an odd smoothness about it. It was as thought he wheels were smoother riding but the bumpiness of the track was the same. Still a good ride to me.

We too just got back from a trip and I have to agree with how awful the seats are and how rough the ride was. We rode it 5 times. Normally I love the ride, but each time I could not wait to get off, but was afraid of how I was going to get out of my seat! My son who is 20 and 6"1" had no problems with any of the three seats. I got stuck in the middle most of the time and sometimes I managed to get out without looking ungainly, and other times I thought someone was going to have to drag me out. Also talk about bone rattling. Maybe I'm just getting older and can't take such a rattling, but if I had the choice, I would avoid the ride, which is really sad.

squatty, horizontal, vertically challenged me here. :angel:

I will say it out loud, our first Matterhorn ride in August was OUR LAST. I could not get OUT of the seat. I thought we were going to do the bobsled from hell.
:scared::scared::scared:

I could not imagine what average height (5' 8" and up) folks do.

and lets NOT EVEN touch on the narrowness of the thing. :sad2:

We tried the new sleds out in November, and I both fit in them fine and found them comfortable enough. I'm 6'2" / 200lbs.

I liked the entry/exit more with the new sleds and the bumpiness felt about the same (they seemed a bit quieter too). My kids preferred them too as they didn't have to share seats anymore.

AMEN SISTER!!

I could not believe how hard and uncomfortable they were. I had high hopes with the refurb, but alas, still hard as a rock.

I like that you don't have to snuggle up in anyone's crotch anymore. That's an improvement.

I'm 5'8" and my husband is 6'3" and we thought the seats weren't that bad. I went in expecting the worst, but was pleasantly surprised :) It may depend on the seat, I guess. I always had my 2 daughters in front of me, so I only sat in row 3 or row 6. I did think row 3 was smoother than row 6 but neither were too bad for me (or my husband).

the middle seats were awful for me. Yes I will go again because the little kids love the ride but definitely some poor planning & design on the part of disney.
The hard seats and lack of legroom in the middle seat was not pleasant:sick:

major disappointment after waiting to experience the refurb. Have been going to DL since the 70's and I want the old sleds back

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter