• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The new Little Mermaid ride...why....

I felt the same way last August after my first ride. However, after 4 rides last week, it sort of grew on me. I like it now much better. Still wouldn't wait 2 hours for it, 80 mins is my max on any ride. It was funny to hear what people say at the exit. Some people would walk away happy (most likely FP+ people) and many complained about not worthy of 2 hours waiting time. I did see the wait for 7DMT went up to 210 mins after the thunderstorm. Crazy.

I really don't mind Under the Sea, but it is a disappointment as a new attraction. My family do re ride to escape the heat or the rain.

It's a fabulous ride. I guess everyone has their favs.

We thought it was cute, but really wasted a FP+ on it. When we walked into the inside queue it was like a ghost town and we got right on the ride. Now I know to go standby on that one and use a FP+ for something that needs it.
It's a busy ride. Don't be fooled from a one time experience.

I think it's a good ride that serves it's purpose. The detail to which they nailed Ursula is amazing. As for it's repeat-ability, if you have youngsters under 5 it definitely has that factor. Which is great when you have a 3 year old who wants to go on it again and again and again. At least little to no wait (unlike Peter Pan where you have to tell the young one - sorry maybe tomorrow).

The first time I rode it, I thought it was just okay and we could just skip it in the future. Fast forward to my trip wi a three-year-old, and she LOVED it. We must have ridden it six times in two days. And we'd have ridden it six more if I'd been willing to do it. It sort of grew on me after a while.

I have to agree with epcotty. The new lightning does make it look a bit better. I've always enjoyed the ride; it may not be anything ground-breaking, but I do enjoy it especially on a hot, humid afternoon.

My biggest complaint is the end... we go right from the "Kiss the Girl" to Ursula's demise...ummm, what? I know they're counting on the fact that everyone on the planet knows the story but c'mon - that's just LAZY story-telling.

I wondered about the end, too. But I figured the target audience was small kids who might not want to see Ursula impaled on a ship's prow in an up-close-and-personal way. That, or they just went cheap and cut out what would likely be the most expensive part of the ride.

It's also out of the way, so we usually don't think it's worth the effort. But it's a great walk late at night, so we do it during EMH.

That, or they just went cheap and cut out what would likely be the most expensive part of the ride.
I'd venture to guess that this was probably the answer. It's not that it needs to be big and violent... they can keep it as it is... there just should have been another room/scene where we see some cool "Vanessa-at-a-dressing-table/Ursula-in-a-mirror" effect and then maybe some sort of "chaos" at the wedding. They seem to have left out the story in this story. I honestly think thats the one thing that is keeping me from reallllllly liking the ride. It just seemed incredibly lazy to me.

Isn't Little Mermaid similar to the Nemo ride at EPCOT in that it is always moving (and similar to Haunted Mansion). A ride like that will always be more constant than 7 Dwarves. Also, 7D is going to be a much higher demand ride because of the thrill nature of it.

Isn't Little Mermaid similar to the Nemo ride at EPCOT in that it is always moving (and similar to Haunted Mansion)...

Yes. These are called "Omnimover" rides.
So is Spaceship Earth and Buzz Lightyear, and, similarly, Peter Pan's Flight.

I was disappointed how similar it is to the Nemo ride. I know the little ones must love it, but I expected more creativity from Disney. It's basically a twin to Nemo.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter