The *NEW* Grand Floridian Resort and Spa FAQ thread (Nov 2007)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Teenage son for sale!!!!!!!!!!!!

I told him about how excited I was because we didn't have to move to the poly and the butthead teen that he is said, "Crap, I was looking forward to staying at the Poly. I like it better...."
:rolleyes1 :rolleyes1
As hard as it has been to get this last night at GF and he had to say that....

Its grounds for child abuse:rotfl: :rotfl:

Tell Teenage son that he is VERY lucky to be going to WDW and leave it at that... :thumbsup2

Ok.. so in a matter of two days and 90 pages later.. I went from the GF putting an "awkward taste in my mouth" to putting a giddy smile on my face anytime I think about my upcoming stay there :laughing:

I'm requesting dormer/higher floor in Sago Cay due to the location and room views. It works for his conference needs and I like how its a little off the beaten bath and not right on the courtyard.

The only thing I haven't found out is how to order "treats" for room delivery. I'm going to "try" and order the mini castle cake and have the number for the hotline, but what about things like that truffle/chocolate box or ordering cookies? How can I go about finding information/prices on that? Same hotline? Can I preorder that or have to wait till I have access to private dinning after checking in?

I'm a pretty stubborn resort planner... yet you girls have sold me on this resort. I feel the inner princess in me blossoming :flower3:

OK, so DH and I had decided to take a year off from Disney this year. Getting a little Disneyed out. Not tired of GF (who could ever?) but of Disney. Even the kids were ok with doing this. So, what happens this morning? We got an email for the 40% off that I had always dreamed of.:cool1: Within 1/2 hour of reading the email we had our ressies made. So much for taking a year off.:confused3 Guess I need to make a new ticker!:banana:
Heather

Ok.. so in a matter of two days and 90 pages later.. I went from the GF putting an "awkward taste in my mouth" to putting a giddy smile on my face anytime I think about my upcoming stay there :laughing:

I'm requesting dormer/higher floor in Sago Cay due to the location and room views. It works for his conference needs and I like how its a little off the beaten bath and not right on the courtyard.

The only thing I haven't found out is how to order "treats" for room delivery. I'm going to "try" and order the mini castle cake and have the number for the hotline, but what about things like that truffle/chocolate box or ordering cookies? How can I go about finding information/prices on that? Same hotline? Can I preorder that or have to wait till I have access to private dinning after checking in?

I'm a pretty stubborn resort planner... yet you girls have sold me on this resort. I feel the inner princess in me blossoming :flower3:

You'll love it. :thumbsup2 You'll wonder why you didn't stay here earlier.;)

Treats delivered to the room (strawberry tuxes, truffle boxes, cookie/pastrie platters, etc) can be ordered thru this private dining number 407-824-2474. I wouldn't order much more than a week prior to your check in. You can order ahead of time or during your stay.

Enjoy!

Lives4Disney :)

Are you getting some discount for having to stay in Sugar Loaf or are you just paying the Sugar Loaf rate and then the Royal Palm rate once you go stay there?

At first, they were just going to refund us the difference in the room rate. After talking to a CM about the inconvenience of having to move, the gave us an acceptable credit. They will put the credit on our room card and if it is not used up during our stay, they will transfer the balance to my credit card. I would still rather be in the main building, but it will work out just fine. Leave on Saturday!:goodvibes

At first, they were just going to refund us the difference in the room rate. After talking to a CM about the inconvenience of having to move, the gave us an acceptable credit. They will put the credit on our room card and if it is not used up during our stay, they will transfer the balance to my credit card. I would still rather be in the main building, but it will work out just fine. Leave on Saturday!:goodvibes
Well I guess you can't go wrong with that, considering what they originally wanted to give you for not staying in Royal Palm right away when you had a reservation there.

How cool!! I'm assuming they dropped at midnight? Were you there for that? I had no idea that any of the hotels did that!! :wizard:

Yes -- they did. They had 4 or 5 cash bars downstairs, then they gave everyone hats, noisemakers etc. There was a dance floor set up on the same end as the gingerbread house -- they took all of the furniture out. We had a great view of the fireworks from our balcony, so we went between there and the first floor. I have a picture from right after they dropped the balloons -- I'll post it in the morning. In RPC., they had glasses of champagne out for a couple of hours. The fireworks were super loud both on the 30th and 31st -- they were going off all around the lagoon.

Next year, I think we'll try going between the balcony on the 3rd floor and the lobby -- we won't miss so much of the action that way. ;)

Yes -- they did. They had 4 or 5 cash bars downstairs, then they gave everyone hats, noisemakers etc. There was a dance floor set up on the same end as the gingerbread house -- they took all of the furniture out. We had a great view of the fireworks from our balcony, so we went between there and the first floor. I have a picture from right after they dropped the balloons -- I'll post it in the morning. In RPC., they had glasses of champagne out for a couple of hours. The fireworks were super loud both on the 30th and 31st -- they were going off all around the lagoon.

Next year, I think we'll try going between the balcony on the 3rd floor and the lobby -- we won't miss so much of the action that way. ;)

That sounds so great! I'm looking forward to seeing that picture, too! :)

DH and I just arrived back from our stay at the GF!

A few weeks ago, some of you might remember that I had posted a question about our room. We were supposed to stay in a honeymoon room and they upgraded us to a 1BR suite because "the honeymoon room was being refurbished." Well, we saw no sign of the refurbishment until Monday. Then, it became quite obvious.

Everyone has been moved out of the main building. The shops and restaurants are still open, as well as the front desk. However, the shops close earlier at 9pm instead of 10pm.

Also, they initially moved all of the furniture out of the main building. There is now only a piano when you walk in (with flower arrangement) and a few benches. Then, they built a white wood wall around the entire inner circle of the lobby (I believe it was where the carpet would turn to tile). They then put up giant plastic sheets from at least the second story (if not higher) down to the wall, which also borders that same inner circle. It is a site to see! It seemed to be quiet during the day, but DH and I came in around midnight one night and it was very loud.

This morning when we left, there were workers on the balcony of the Grand Suite and a loud sawing-type noise coming from there as well.

I don't know how long it will be up, but I overheard some other people who were fairly irritated because of it. And, if we hadn't already been there for a week by the time it happened, I would have probably been annoyed too. It was interesting to see though.

Where did you get your shirts - did you make them?

Another limo convert for Channing hahah

I did reserve a limo service other than SE but then started doing some serious research on them and well.... not to name names but I didn't like what I read.

I called SE tonight and they were great over the phone.

FYI for those who are thinking of using a limo service...
Make sure they do meet and greet at baggage claim and you do not have to call once you have your luggage and then find the limo guy.
MANY MANY limo companies do this as it saves them the parking fee (MCO charges limos $1 a minute) SE charges a little more but it is so they can park right there and you don't have to drag your luggage everywhere. If the turnstile luggage thingie takes longer than 10 minutes than SE takes the hit on the extra minutes. Of course "other limo companies" are not upfront about telling you of this little set back. When reserving a limo be specific if its important for your family to have that limo THERE rather than having to call and find the limo after you have gotten your luggage.

We used SE last month on Channing's recommendation also! They were great! :thumbsup2

They met us at the bottom of the escalators where ME sends their reps. The limo was right there in a parking space to the right as you walk out the baggage claim doors. They had cold water bottles waiting for us and we were at GF in 20 - 25 minutes!

We were so glad we used them! Return trip was just as easy- our driver was waiting for us on the far side under the porte-cochere and we were at the airport again in 25 minutes ! They added my tip onto my cc so I didn't have to worry about fooling with that - a bell services guy came across and grabbed our luggage as soon as we got out of the car. No worries! Unfortunately there wasn't a Club level check in CM at the podium to greet us but the Valet desk called them and it only took a minute for them to get down there. Still, we've always had someone waiting for us so we were a little disappointed - details,details!;)

Have a fun trip!:)

Would love to hear more and see the balloon dropping pics! We are hoping to go in 2008 or 2009 for NYE and my DD's birthday! Was RPC super crowded?

DH and I just arrived back from our stay at the GF!

A few weeks ago, some of you might remember that I had posted a question about our room. We were supposed to stay in a honeymoon room and they upgraded us to a 1BR suite because "the honeymoon room was being refurbished." Well, we saw no sign of the refurbishment until Monday. Then, it became quite obvious.

Everyone has been moved out of the main building. The shops and restaurants are still open, as well as the front desk. However, the shops close earlier at 9pm instead of 10pm.

Also, they initially moved all of the furniture out of the main building. There is now only a piano when you walk in (with flower arrangement) and a few benches. Then, they built a white wood wall around the entire inner circle of the lobby (I believe it was where the carpet would turn to tile). They then put up giant plastic sheets from at least the second story (if not higher) down to the wall, which also borders that same inner circle. It is a site to see! It seemed to be quiet during the day, but DH and I came in around midnight one night and it was very loud.

This morning when we left, there were workers on the balcony of the Grand Suite and a loud sawing-type noise coming from there as well.

I don't know how long it will be up, but I overheard some other people who were fairly irritated because of it. And, if we hadn't already been there for a week by the time it happened, I would have probably been annoyed too. It was interesting to see though.

This is interesting info. (and sounds like a mess!). Thanks for providing. So, they're going to tile the main building lobby floor? I don't know that I like that idea very much. :rolleyes: Seems like it could contribute greatly to noise in there, and just doesn't seem as "deluxe" to me.

Wow - sounds like a great time! I don't know that I've ever heard specifics on how the resorts themselves celebrate the big night. I could see how it would be a lot of fun!

This is interesting info. (and sounds like a mess!). Thanks for providing. So, they're going to tile the main building lobby floor? I don't know that I like that idea very much. :rolleyes: Seems like it could contribute greatly to noise in there, and just doesn't seem as "deluxe" to me.

Wow - sounds like a great time! I don't know that I've ever heard specifics on how the resorts themselves celebrate the big night. I could see how it would be a lot of fun!

Here's a couple of minutes after the balloon drop. The quality isn't that great -- we were having problems with our camera. You can tell that it was only a little crowded....:rotfl:
NYEballoondrop.jpg

Okay I hate to be a pest -- but my husband is still talking about those pillows at the GF and we've been home over 3 weeks. So... anyone that is going soon, could you please check the pillow and see if you can get some manufacturer information?

I would really, really appreciate it. Every night I get to hear about how our pillows are not nearly as comfortable and I just want to make him happy with some new pillows. (Okay I thought they were nice too --- I'm just not as picky as he is :) ) Maybe that will work him into a new vacation as well..... I can always hope:rolleyes1 .

Thanks
Vikki

marcij, thanks for posting the photo! It looks like it was a lot of fun. :goodvibes

I've always thought it would be great to experience WDW during the Christmas/New Year holiday, but the thought of braving the crowds always scares me off! :scared1:

Okay I hate to be a pest -- but my husband is still talking about those pillows at the GF and we've been home over 3 weeks. So... anyone that is going soon, could you please check the pillow and see if you can get some manufacturer information?

I would really, really appreciate it. Every night I get to hear about how our pillows are not nearly as comfortable and I just want to make him happy with some new pillows. (Okay I thought they were nice too --- I'm just not as picky as he is :) ) Maybe that will work him into a new vacation as well..... I can always hope:rolleyes1 .

Thanks
Vikki

Vikki,
I am going to email my GF CM friend and ask her. Hopefully I will know in the next couple days & post here for ya.

Channing

Marci
- COOL PICS!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter