The *NEW* Grand Floridian Resort and Spa FAQ thread (Nov 2007)

Status
Not open for further replies.
GO Tigers!!!!! We too will be watching the game!
I am planning on my daughter wearing that outfit on the plane going to Disney, in the limo and checking in. That way everyone knows where we are going:rotfl:

Are you going to be at the GF during Mardi Gras? Maybe we will run into each other!

PRALINE: I will be there the 4th-10th. My dad is riding in a parade on Sun., so we can't leave 'til Mon. I am going to put my daughter's Minnie outfit hanging on her bedroom door the morning we leave and say "Put this on. We are going to the airport!" I have been keeping the secret for 5 months, and I am so proud of myself for not telling her!

I am getting SO excited about our trip. Now, if only I can stick to my diet until then ... All that yummy Disney food is calling me already. :rotfl:

The kids loved Lady Tremaine and the step sisters. Anastasia danced for a very long time with Jakob. She loved that he actually knew how to dance, but was very disappointed to find out he was 13 and not rich. Lady Tremaine also offered us a double marriage if we wanted to one. She loved that we had a redhead and a brunette to match each daughter.

DSC_0165.jpg

DSC_0200-1.jpg

DSC_0196.jpg

DSC_0191.jpg

DSC_0177.jpg

DSC_0167.jpg

DSC_0180.jpg

Now that I have this figured out --- I'll try to see what other pictures we have that might be of interest. Vikki

PRALINE: I will be there the 4th-10th. My dad is riding in a parade on Sun., so we can't leave 'til Mon. I am going to put my daughter's Minnie outfit hanging on her bedroom door the morning we leave and say "Put this on. We are going to the airport!" I have been keeping the secret for 5 months, and I am so proud of myself for not telling her!

I am getting SO excited about our trip. Now, if only I can stick to my diet until then ... All that yummy Disney food is calling me already. :rotfl:

We will be there from the 1st-8th.
I kept it a secret until Christmas morning. My kids (13,10 and 6) had a huge box under the tree for all 3 of them. I did the box within a box thing... the first box was to my oldest son, when he opened it there was a tag on the inner box that said to my middle child and when he opened that box, there was another box with a tag that said to my youngest child... they were soooo confused as to WHO the gift was actually FOR at that point. The look on their faces was priceless! When my youngest finally opened the box I had all the Disney stuff (including some brochures Kelly sent us) in there and they all got a good :rotfl: at how I presented it to them. My older boys had already "heard" dad and I talking about our trip so they had a pretty good idea we were going but the youngest was clueless and very surprised.
Since then they have been going BONKERS over our trip! My older boys are not into "dressing up" or seeing the characters (with the exception of seeing the little mermaid... Alice ... the belly dancers... but you know how teen boys can be hehe) but my daughter is Princess GAGA. We have ADR's for every princess meal so she should get her fill!

Vikki~ those are some adorable pics!

I'm in some seriously need of help ladies...

There was always one resort that I swore I would never stay at... the Grand Floridian... *dramatic music*... I know.. I know!

I've never once stepped foot on resort grounds but at the same time I never had a single desire to. Maybe it was the price, maybe it was the layout, or maybe it's because the princess in me is buried deep deep within lol.

My boyfriend has a conference there in March and they're offering garden view rooms at almost %35 off rack rate. I'm in a desperate need of a Disney fix and checked to see if his rates were good at any other monorail resorts... with no such luck. So it look likes my only chance of going is if I stay at the GF. Can you believe thats the worst of my problems?! Staying at the most deluxe resort on property and I'm complaining?! Seriously... somethings wrong with me!

Is there something I'm just not seeing?! I know everyone has different tastes, likes, and dislikes... and what works for one family, doesn't work for another. But since I have never stayed there... my views and opinions are based on pictures alone.

Since he'll be at the convention center till early afternoon, I'll be hanging around the resort solo. I'd love a refurbished room (could someone let me know what buildings have been completed) on a higher/dormer floor but know none of that is gaurenteed. We're only able to book a garden view so I'd like as high of a floor as possible.

With exception to hanging our in the room... what else can I do around the property, or are some of your favorite things to do? I'm definately considering a morning at the spa (never done that before) and some pool and beach time. I might rent a boat from the marina... but anything else that I'm missing or not aware of?

A special thanks to all you posters for your time and effort, your pictures and posts definately help people like me out!

I'm in some seriously need of help ladies...

There was always one resort that I swore I would never stay at... the Grand Floridian... *dramatic music*... I know.. I know!

I've never once stepped foot on resort grounds but at the same time I never had a single desire to. Maybe it was the price, maybe it was the layout, or maybe it's because the princess in me is buried deep deep within lol.

My boyfriend has a conference there in March and they're offering garden view rooms at almost %35 off rack rate. I'm in a desperate need of a Disney fix and checked to see if his rates were good at any other monorail resorts... with no such luck. So it look likes my only chance of going is if I stay at the GF. Can you believe thats the worst of my problems?! Staying at the most deluxe resort on property and I'm complaining?! Seriously... somethings wrong with me!

Is there something I'm just not seeing?! I know everyone has different tastes, likes, and dislikes... and what works for one family, doesn't work for another. But since I have never stayed there... my views and opinions are based on pictures alone.

Since he'll be at the convention center till early afternoon, I'll be hanging around the resort solo. I'd love a refurbished room (could someone let me know what buildings have been completed) on a higher/dormer floor but know none of that is gaurenteed. We're only able to book a garden view so I'd like as high of a floor as possible.

With exception to hanging our in the room... what else can I do around the property, or are some of your favorite things to do? I'm definately considering a morning at the spa (never done that before) and some pool and beach time. I might rent a boat from the marina... but anything else that I'm missing or not aware of?

A special thanks to all you posters for your time and effort, your pictures and posts definately help people like me out!

Well, I think if you go in with an open mind, then you'll likely have a good time. There is really a lot to see and do around the Grand, and you don't need to be a "princess" to appreciate it! ;)

How I could spend my days in/around the GF:

-Spa!
-Time at the pool
-Napping in a hammock
-Walking the grounds
-Taking a walk to the Poly and back
-Enjoying a drink at the pool bar, or Mizners
-Might be a little fancy for your taste, but the afternoon tea in the Garden View Tea Room is really good!
-Shopping - the GF has a number of shops (both Disney and non)
-If you like gaming, there's always the video arcade at Gasparilla Grill and Games
-Taking out a water mouse (small individual boats)
-Riding the monorail loop - get off and visit other resorts if you'd like!
-Treat yourself to either breakfast in bed, lunch, or a snack out on your balcony, via room service
-Sit in the lobby and enjoy the orchestra or piano player

Those are just some things off the top of my head! I'm sure others will come along with some more suggestions.

Of course, you could also always go into a park - they're all great for just people-watching, strolling, shopping, even if you don't want to take in any attractions without your boyfriend. Or, go to Downtown Disney!

I would go, if nothing else just to say you've tried it, and can honestly comment on it. Plus, you need a Disney fix! Good luck with your decision!

ETA: I'm fairly certain all the rooms are rehabbed at this point. The last building to be worked on was Sago Cay, and they had that underway in late November. I think you could comfortably request any building, and get a rehabbed room. There really aren't too many bad garden views, although some have reported getting a less than desirable view on the back of Sago Cay, back of Conch Key, and it seems like there might be a room or two overlooking a pool shed (in Big Pine Key, I think?).

The rooms are done but they are now working on the lobby floor so not sure how they are handling that. I know they are moving the main building guests out to Sugar Loaf and I don't know about the lobby shops etc during this time frame. It won't be a long time before they're done - not sure when you are looking to go.
Lives4Disney :)

Thanks Lives4Disney :) So, All the buildings (including Sago) are done by now? We will be there in March and hopefully the rehab will be completely over.

I have requested Sago Cay, but after reading your comments I am thinking if I should change (DW said just talk to CM at check-in, as from prior experience we never get the building we requested before). I got your point about requesting a GV room facing the Marina - What if the CM simply give me a Room Number - how do I know if it is on Marina side - Are there any hints for easy identifying the room location?

Since I have seniors and infants in my party - my top priority is Quiet location, and 2nd priority is close to food court. View is not really an big issue here. Any other suggestions?

Thanks for your response Tinkaroo! I noticed your GV pictures on the "room picture" sticky thread and loved the view you recieved in Conch Key. I think we're going to request a dormer room in Conch Key and Sago Cay and just keep our fingers crossed. Do you know if the marina/lagoon side of Conch Key is considered Garden or Lagoon? I'd prefer something a little more quiet and private so the idea of the back side of either lodge is appealing to me.

Thanks so much for the suggestions on what to do! I didn't even think to resort hop and would love to check out the Contemporary and even take a boat ride over to the Wilderness Lodge. I think a trip to the spa is going to be a must do and I love the idea of breakfast in bed! That will definately help me get in the princess spirit princess:

Thanks again for your time and effort! I'm getting more and more "excited" as my research continues.

Thanks Lives4Disney :) So, All the buildings (including Sago) are done by now? We will be there in March and hopefully the rehab will be completely over.

I have requested Sago Cay, but after reading your comments I am thinking if I should change (DW said just talk to CM at check-in, as from prior experience we never get the building we requested before). I got your point about requesting a GV room facing the Marina - What if the CM simply give me a Room Number - how do I know if it is on Marina side - Are there any hints for easy identifying the room location?

Since I have seniors and infants in my party - my top priority is Quiet location, and 2nd priority is close to food court. View is not really an big issue here. Any other suggestions?

I have only stayed concierge at the GF so no front desk check in, but at the YC and BC I check in at the front desk and they show you the resort on a map and put an X where your room will be located. They just did this to me at YC in July and I said NO THANKS...lol. I agree with your wife. I always adjust my room at check in. :thumbsup2 They 100% do not seem to EVER get my room/view requests correct (and I only ask for ONE thing - view) with the exception of concierge - they get it right. Don't just take some crummy room...if they don't show you a map, ask. There will be one in your welcome packet and they should be able to X your room location on that for you so you know what you'll be looking at & location. If you get to your room and don't like it call down to the front desk and see what else is available. Believe me...I have done it several times at YC and BC. Once they tried to give us a room at BC with DOUBLE BEDS!!! Ugh! :scared1: I didn't even know that existed - it had no balcony at all either - just a window:sad2: . It looked OK on the map, but when we walked in it was such a disappointment. The front desk apologized and found us a much better room. It pays to ask.:goodvibes

Forgot to add that yes all the buildings are done. They are just currently replacing the main building's lobby floor and maybe a little more. It won't be long.

Oops...one more little thing....there is a map showing the layout of the resort on the front page or so of this thread. I believe it is the same map you will receive when you check in. You might want to take a peek at that and get an idea of where you'd prefer to be.

Happy planning,

Lives4Disney :)

IrishHockey - You will LOVE the GF. I always thought it was too froufrou and vanilla but we once booked a last min trip and it was all that was available....we are now total addicts. DH hates to stay anywhere else. The service is the best and the ammenities and shops, restaurants, location is tops. Lindsay gave you some great ideas, too.

Vikki - I LOVE your pictures. We really enjoyed that 1900 PF dinner too. Those stepsisters and Lady Tremaine are wickedly funny!

Praline - You are GOOD!! I couldn't keep our July trip a secret for a week. Cute story of how you presented it, too.:goodvibes

Lives4Disney

Thanks for your response Tinkaroo! I noticed your GV pictures on the "room picture" sticky thread and loved the view you recieved in Conch Key. I think we're going to request a dormer room in Conch Key and Sago Cay and just keep our fingers crossed. Do you know if the marina/lagoon side of Conch Key is considered Garden or Lagoon? I'd prefer something a little more quiet and private so the idea of the back side of either lodge is appealing to me.

Thanks so much for the suggestions on what to do! I didn't even think to resort hop and would love to check out the Contemporary and even take a boat ride over to the Wilderness Lodge. I think a trip to the spa is going to be a must do and I love the idea of breakfast in bed! That will definately help me get in the princess spirit princess:

Thanks again for your time and effort! I'm getting more and more "excited" as my research continues.

You're very welcome. :goodvibes My mom and I loved that view in Conch! I believe the marina side of Conch is also considered garden view, but someone correct me if I'm wrong. I know the marina side of Sago is considered garden, so it only stands to reason the same would apply to Conch, since they're pretty much across the marina from each other. Of course, I'm sure some of Conch's marina view rooms likely do view the castle, so those would be the theme park view.

I wouldn't hesitate to stay GV anywhere on GF property. I currently have a GV booked for next December, although I am trying to justify the expense of RPC again ;) . Don't know that that is going to happen though! :rotfl:

Hey GF fans! I'm stuck. I have a reservation for the GF garden view but I'm considering moving to the CR - Tower Bay Lake view. I don't know what to do! Is the GF really that great, cause I know the CR is. Convince me! :)

Hi Klofan

Yes, the GF is really that great! Have you considered a split stay? Since you've already booked the GF at a fantastic rate, what have you got to lose yeah? ;)

Hi everyone - this is my second post. I love this baord and I have managed to come here at least once a day since I decided it was time for a trip to Disney. We are going March 1-8 and staying at the GF. I have never stayed at the GF and I am hoping a few of you most familiar can help.

I am traveling with my husband and 4 year old son. I booked a room with a theme park view and want to request the best building for this. Can anyone help. The reason I selected a room with a view is because I know we will be inour room by 8 - 8:30pm each night and thought it would be fun to be able to see the fire works while our son slept. I am all about getting what I paid for and seem to be obssesed with getting the best room - HELP.

Can anyone who has been there before the first week of March comment on the weather?

Thanks,

I am getting so excited.....

Hi everyone - this is my second post. I love this baord and I have managed to come here at least once a day since I decided it was time for a trip to Disney. We are going March 1-8 and staying at the GF. I have never stayed at the GF and I am hoping a few of you most familiar can help.

I am traveling with my husband and 4 year old son. I booked a room with a theme park view and want to request the best building for this. Can anyone help. The reason I selected a room with a view is because I know we will be inour room by 8 - 8:30pm each night and thought it would be fun to be able to see the fire works while our son slept. I am all about getting what I paid for and seem to be obssesed with getting the best room - HELP.

Can anyone who has been there before the first week of March comment on the weather?

Thanks,

I am getting so excited.....

Congrats on your upcoming trip!

For the best "theme park view" (which most people want to be a view of the castle), the general recommendation here seems to be Sago Cay and Conch Key. Those should have a fairly direct view of Cinderella Castle from several rooms.

We have been to WDW in early March the past 2 years, and the weather has been fairly good. The temps can still swing a bit, so make sure you pack some clothes you can layer, and possibly a light jacket. I've had some cool days where we were in jeans and sweatshirts, and then days when we were comfortable in shorts all day long. It does tend to be warming up, but you'll still want to be prepared.

Hi again all! We just returned from our little jaunt to NYC, and now I can turn all of my attention to our upcoming WDW trip (2/16-23). Here is my first question of what will undoubtedly be many...

You may recall that I will be writing a review of the GF following our trip. I wasn't planning on making any special requests, because I thought it would be interesting to see what happens to just "regular" folk. However, the editorial assistant I’m working with would like me to make a special room request, in order to see how it is handled.

So, for all you GF experts, what one room request would you make? (BTW, We have a generic ROH room reserved.)

We leave in just 3 days! I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations as to where to get something quick for breakfast before we head out into the parks? Is there a cafe or anything to get coffee? or Pastries?

Last year we stayed at the Dolphin and they had a nice little place to get something on the go.

Thanks so much!

Hi again all! We just returned from our little jaunt to NYC, and now I can turn all of my attention to our upcoming WDW trip (2/16-23). Here is my first question of what will undoubtedly be many...

You may recall that I will be writing a review of the GF following our trip. I wasn't planning on making any special requests, because I thought it would be interesting to see what happens to just "regular" folk. However, the editorial assistant I’m working with would like me to make a special room request, in order to see how it is handled.

So, for all you GF experts, what one room request would you make? (BTW, We have a generic ROH room reserved.)

Call and ask for a special order cake to be delivered to your room :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: (I am betting Kelly just spit her drink all over her monitor on that comment)
I have been having trouble getting a special order cake for our upcoming trip.

ugh I tried to call and order several things and they wouldnt do anything
it was a real pain and this linda lady who is sup to call you back doesnt that much
I wasnt impressed

We leave in just 3 days! I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations as to where to get something quick for breakfast before we head out into the parks? Is there a cafe or anything to get coffee? or Pastries?

Last year we stayed at the Dolphin and they had a nice little place to get something on the go.

Thanks so much!

Gasparilla's is the 24-hour quick service at the GF & they have everything you'll need to start your day... :thumbsup2

Call and ask for a special order cake to be delivered to your room :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: (I am betting Kelly just spit her drink all over her monitor on that comment)
I have been having trouble getting a special order cake for our upcoming trip.

Wow, I wonder why that is so difficult? Such a service seems like it would be right up the alley of a resort such as the GF. Let us know how this turns out...and thanks for the idea!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter