The *NEW* Grand Floridian Resort and Spa FAQ thread (MAY 2008)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning! Deb's site has this info up at this point:
http://allears.net/tp/holiday.htm

As for resort specific info, in our experience that is not really advertised. I think the resorts may keep it kind of close to the vest to help make it special for the guests. But when you check in, you'll get more info.:goodvibes

Are you doing the Candlelight Processional? It's wonderful!:santa:

The poster was asking for holiday events at the GF or any other resorts. Your link is for holiday events at the parks.

The poster was asking for holiday events at the GF or any other resorts. Your link is for holiday events at the parks.

Yes, I know but someone said check allears and I was trying to make it easier for that poster and anyone else to do so.:surfweb:

I addressed the resort issue in my previous post.;)

There are some well known things at the GF like chestnut roasting and choirs but again, no schedule has been publicized at least during our holiday stays at the GF as well as other resorts.

Not sure the point of your post????:confused3

Lives3 & BCV - Totally agree on 1900... Our wait for dinner there was one of the nightmares for wait time! We had 8:05 pm reservations, and I'm sure we weren't seated until almost 9. I did make a trip up to the podium again at some point, wondering if my beeper didn't work. The check-in gal was on the verge of a meltdown too because she had a lot p.o'd people standing around. She said a lot of large tables weren't clearing out as quickly as they would have liked. It also sounded like the people waiting were comparing reservation times and finding people with ADR's 20 and 30 min later than theirs were getting seated earlier. The natives were restless....

However, waiting in the lobby of the Grand Floridian wasn't so bad. I was bothered more by Liberty Tree Tavern (during the Halloween party..and you couldn't wander further than the front porch), and Tusker House . Tusker House was the last thing we did in a Disney Park because we had to go back to the GF and catch our bus to the airport. That was sad, because it was the worst experience with checking in and waiting...and that's the note we left on. But going back to the GF helped with that...concierge was great with printing boarding passes, and bell service people with bag storage out front were so nice.
Most of our reservations were later times, due to the fact that this trip was planned only a month out..and was under a month when I made reservations. So I was lucky to get what we ended up with...Narcoosees, Ohanas breakfast, Garden Grill for lunch, 1900 for dinner and then for breakfast, Liberty Tree for dinner..then Tusker House for lunch. We did the character swoop...5 character meals in two days. We weren't even hungry most of the time - but hey, we only had 3 nights!:cool1:
We had a pool cabana for a half day too, and Chris was there. Very nice guy, and couldn't do enough for you.
We were booked in a GV (but also had the strange 'landscape view' listed on the confirmation on Disney's website). I think we were originally assigned a
2nd floor room in Conch Key, but were upgraded to the corner of Boca Chica, 3rd floor, right above Narcoosees (I think it was considered theme park view). It had a balony on both sides of the room...castle and water view on each. I loved the location for the boat dock to MK and the Poly; we used that frequently. I'm sure whoever had that room was probably upgraded elsewhere, as their luggage was in the room when we arrived. After a phone call (and worrying they were going to make us switch!), they came and took the other luggage away.
The castle is lit with 'spookier' lighting all night on Halloween party nights (fun to see the difference between that and a 'regular' night).

Yes, I know but someone said check allears and I was trying to make it easier for that poster and anyone else to do so.:surfweb:

I addressed the resort issue in my previous post.;)

There are some well known things at the GF like chestnut roasting and choirs but again, no schedule has been publicized at least during our holiday stays at the GF as well as other resorts.

Not sure the point of your post????:confused3

Obviously, I was the one that said to check AllEars for resort activities. They have posted happenings at the resorts for holidays in past years, but I did not see any for 2008. I wasn't sure if they stopped posting these or just hadn't posted them for 2008 yet.

When we have been at the GF, BC,CR for different holidays, the activities were listed in the "Around and About" at the GF and in the newsletter you get at check in and/or posted in the lobby for the other resorts.

I just wasn't sure why you posted a link to park activities. She did not ask about park activities, and to me, your link was confusing. That was basically my point! ;)

Hello everyone - We will be arriving at GF on November 9 thanks to a great code. We are doing a split stay between here and the Poly (stay here every trip). Is there any particular building that should be avoided? Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

KeyRes, you really fit a lot into a short visit. It sounds like one of you did a lot of good planning with short notice.:surfweb: Good for you!:goodvibes

princessrules, I didn't notice that you were the one that posted about allears because that doesn't matter to me. I was trying to help the poster and anyone else who reads this thread but is reluctant to post with my experiences. That is as I said, that there is not a list of resort activities provided to allears or any other site that I've seen for Christmas. I can imagine why too. What if allears said Santa will be in the lobby of the CR on 12/1, Polynesian 12/2 and GF 12/3. Can you imagine how many children Santa would have to see.

As I said, the poster will get more info upon checkin. In fact, the GF is really good about putting new info directly in the rooms. I can remember on 12/24 we received a sheet about extra dining options for room service that day and 12/25. Another trip, before the marathon we received specifics about traffic that am. Yet another trip, we received info about NYE activities directly in the room.

Again my link was to help the poster and anyone else.:surfweb: Sorry it was so confusing to you.

Hello everyone - We will be arriving at GF on November 9 thanks to a great code. We are doing a split stay between here and the Poly (stay here every trip). Is there any particular building that should be avoided? Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

You will love the GF!! That's awesome that you were able to get a code,too!
What room category did you book? That may help us as far as telling you about the different buildings!:)

Welcome to the GF thread! The only building I dont like is back side of Sago.

Welcome to the GF thread! The only building I dont like is back side of Sago.

Totally agree.:thumbsup2

We booked garden view

Well...check out the map at the front of the thread. There are GVs in all the lodges except Sugarloaf & the main bulding which are concierge. From the map you can see where you'd prefer to be. GV could be the courtyard pool, the marina, or garden areas.

I did read that requests diminish the chance of a magical upgrade.

There are several posts a couple pages back about this same question too.

Happy planning,

Lives4Disney :)

just back from my 1st stay at GF and it was wonderful. We were in standard room, got a dormer room in Sago and loved this location. very close to drink station and convention center where DH had several events. The staff seems to go out of their way to pleasantly greet one when passing by. i don't know how they do it all day, every day, b/c it always seemed genuine.

we had a large party at Citrco's on Sunday night and they were waiting to seat us at our ADR time. we arrived an hour or so earlier to have drinks out front and I think they were trying to politely let us know to move on ;) dinner was fabulous.

my only complaint, and it's trivial, was that our mousekeeper knocked on our door for turn-down service, 2 of 3 nights between 5 and 6 p.m. while we were dressing for dinner. so we only got chocolates one night....pooh. however i think she realized i was hoarding my daily allotment of the toiletries b/c I found some extras on the dresser our last night there :thumbsup2

just back from my 1st stay at GF and it was wonderful. We were in standard room, got a dormer room in Sago and loved this location. very close to drink station and convention center where DH had several events. The staff seems to go out of their way to pleasantly greet one when passing by. i don't know how they do it all day, every day, b/c it always seemed genuine.

we had a large party at Citrco's on Sunday night and they were waiting to seat us at our ADR time. we arrived an hour or so earlier to have drinks out front and I think they were trying to politely let us know to move on ;) dinner was fabulous.

my only complaint, and it's trivial, was that our mousekeeper knocked on our door for turn-down service, 2 of 3 nights between 5 and 6 p.m. while we were dressing for dinner. so we only got chocolates one night....pooh. however i think she realized i was hoarding my daily allotment of the toiletries b/c I found some extras on the dresser our last night there :thumbsup2

Sounds like you enjoyed your stay! Thanks for sharing with us!
We think the GF CM's are the best!

Yeah, I hate to miss out on the chocolates!:lovestruc

An update on the holiday posts. Safetymom posted this info:

http://www.wdwinfo.com/holidays/christmas_disney_resorts.htm

It appears that the resorts are now requiring that you be a registered guest. Still not much info on the GF but one would think they will require the same. I imagine the internet has changed the way they must do things.

An update on the holiday posts. Safetymom posted this info:

http://www.wdwinfo.com/holidays/christmas_disney_resorts.htm

It appears that the resorts are now requiring that you be a registered guest. Still not much info on the GF but one would think they will require the same. I imagine the internet has changed the way they must do things.

INteresting in several ways....

It looks like it's from 2007 though. Wonder when they'll post 2008.

Maybe the resorts will release the info on 12/24.:rotfl:

Just kidding. Safetymom did say it would be updated as info is received.

The GF is so lovely at Christmas.

Totally agree.:thumbsup2

Well...check out the map at the front of the thread. There are GVs in all the lodges except Sugarloaf & the main bulding which are concierge. From the map you can see where you'd prefer to be. GV could be the courtyard pool, the marina, or garden areas.

I did read that requests diminish the chance of a magical upgrade.

There are several posts a couple pages back about this same question too.

Happy planning,

No need for a request then lol -I'll hope for a magical upgrade, but I'm excited just to be staying there.

I was checking the allears website and Garden View tea sounds lovely. What's everyone's thoughts on it. Thanks

No need for a request then lol -I'll hope for a magical upgrade, but I'm excited just to be staying there.

I was checking the allears website and Garden View tea sounds lovely. What's everyone's thoughts on it. Thanks

The tea is great!

Ask for Dottie...we had her for a private tea and she's wonderful.:goodvibes

Happy planning!:surfweb:

any opionions on the spa and its services? how about the kids club? we are not staying at the resort but i am thinking about using the spa and kids club one evening.

Sounds like a fun stay.

Please tell us more about your dinner at Citricos. We haven't dined there in over a year but will again soon and I'm looking forward to it.:goodvibes

any opionions on the spa and its services? how about the kids club? we are not staying at the resort but i am thinking about using the spa and kids club one evening.

The spa is very nice. A poster by the name of johnsonet knows a lot about the services and CMs there. My daughter has had more treatments there than I have and has always been quite pleased. I had the Tired Legs and was underwhelmed but someone posted that it's better now. Before booking that one, I would make sure about the breakdown of the treatment. Mine consisted mostly of a foot soak.;)

We enjoyed it! The scones and cream ,Sally Lunn Bread and Lemon pouncake are delicious!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter