• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The **NEW** Grand Floridian FAQ!(MAY 2011)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Coopersmom: We were @ GF Thurs. 15 - Sat. 17th. I'm wondering if we crossed paths. I think it was Thurs. during 5 - 7 PM service I noticed a Mom & little boy ( looked about 4). I remember them because I over heard the cutest conversation: Boy: "what am I going to eat?" Mom: "you can have...." Boy: "can't I have brocolli?" Mom: "Sure you can have brocolli" Boy: "But, I don't like broccoli" Mom: "that's why I didn't offer brocccoli" :rotfl: Was this you guys?

I'm not a stalker or nutcase, really. I just remembered it because it was such a cute interaction. Such a "funny things kids say" moment. If it was you, your little guy is a doll!

Too funny. I had totally forgotten about that moment.

Yep, that was us. I was listing the offerings, ignored the broccoli, knowing he wouldn't eat it, and he was like, 'What about the broccoli?' He did, in fact, then get some broccoli and before I even sat down shouted across the room: 'I was right. I don't like broccoli,' after taking one bite. As if this was an epic discovery the world should be made aware of.

I love the WL at the holidays. It is a theming I love and the working fireplaces just add to the ambience. HOWEVER, I would always choose a stay at the GF if it's an option. The decorations are amazing, and the outside is also beautifully decorated with poinsettias and deer made of wood covered with white lights.

We stayed at the GF for just over a week last year in December. The only thing to be aware of is the crowds in the lobby. The Gingerbread House is a huge attraction for guests at WDW and locals so don't expect leisurely evenings in the lobby listening to music. It is very festive, but crowded!

Thank you for the reassurance, Jungle Cruiser!

Were you at the GF during actual Christmas week or earlier in the month? We will be there Dec 9-13, so were hoping that the lobby would not be TOO hectic... but maybe it is like that the entire month! Would you say that most people cleared out of the lobby by 10pm or so?

Also-- I know that the pianist/orchestra play Christmas music in the lobby, but does the resort also pipe in Christmas music throughout the resort grounds (pool, marina, boat dock, etc)? Is the theme of that Christmas music Victorian-esque? I am a huge Christmas music fanatic. :-)

Too funny. I had totally forgotten about that moment.

Yep, that was us. I was listing the offerings, ignored the broccoli, knowing he wouldn't eat it, and he was like, 'What about the broccoli?' He did, in fact, then get some broccoli and before I even sat down shouted across the room: 'I was right. I don't like broccoli,' after taking one bite. As if this was an epic discovery the world should be made aware of.

:lmao: :lmao:

I missed that part! I think I was the only other person around the food offerings @ the time. Middle aged (mid 50's) woman & I know I smiled when I heard that. I was almost going to ask if you were a Disser, but didn't have the nerve. Sorry I didn't! Anyway, your little guy is very cute!

Sorry you had issues with the stay. Luckily we didn't, but then we were only there 2 nights. After seeing those fruit flies, I was glad it wasn't longer! :laughing: But I do hope to go back someday. :)

Thank you for the reassurance, Jungle Cruiser!

Were you at the GF during actual Christmas week or earlier in the month? We will be there Dec 9-13, so were hoping that the lobby would not be TOO hectic... but maybe it is like that the entire month! Would you say that most people cleared out of the lobby by 10pm or so?

Also-- I know that the pianist/orchestra play Christmas music in the lobby, but does the resort also pipe in Christmas music throughout the resort grounds (pool, marina, boat dock, etc)? Is the theme of that Christmas music Victorian-esque? I am a huge Christmas music fanatic. :-)

We were there in the middle of the month, we left on the 19th. It was crowded the whole time we were there, people just want to see the resort and the decorations. Yes, the lobby clears out by 10 PM. Once the post dinner crowd has left and the Gingerbread House closes you pretty much just have the usual crowd in the lobby. Oh, and the lobby smells like gingerbread!

I honestly can't remember music around the grounds, but that doesn't mean they didn't, I just don't remember. Hopefully someone else knows. The grounds are amazing though. Poinsettias everywhere, both red and white!

We were there in the middle of the month, we left on the 19th. It was crowded the whole time we were there, people just want to see the resort and the decorations. Yes, the lobby clears out by 10 PM. Once the post dinner crowd has left and the Gingerbread House closes you pretty much just have the usual crowd in the lobby. Oh, and the lobby smells like gingerbread!

I honestly can't remember music around the grounds, but that doesn't mean they didn't, I just don't remember. Hopefully someone else knows. The grounds are amazing though. Poinsettias everywhere, both red and white!

Thanks again, Jungle Cruiser!

Thanks k&a&c'smom! I've posted a shot of this in B&W but here is one from a different day in good old color. Always loved walking past this fountain to the main pool area.

IMG_3058-1.jpg

Did you see k&a&c'smom's reply to you? Post #1615.

I am also trying to figure out which GV room to stay in. Based on the research and pictures I have seen, I think we are probably going to request Boca Chica since I love the idea of seeing the pool and main building lit up at night from our room... or maybe even part of the lagoon if facing Narcoossee's! The view of the courtyard pool from the section of Big Pine Key closest to the main building also looks nice. If you want a marina view, though, I think I would opt for Conch Key over Sago Cay since it extends farther out toward Seven Seas Lagoon. Thankfully, all of the GV room views are pretty nice... very few parking lot/roof views! Good luck with your choice. :)

Did you see k&a&c'smom's reply to you? Post #1615.

I am also trying to figure out which GV room to stay in. Based on the research and pictures I have seen, I think we are probably going to request Boca Chica since I love the idea of seeing the pool and main building lit up at night from our room... or maybe even part of the lagoon if facing Narcoossee's! The view of the courtyard pool from the section of Big Pine Key closest to the main building also looks nice. If you want a marina view, though, I think I would opt for Conch Key over Sago Cay since it extends farther out toward Seven Seas Lagoon. Thankfully, all of the GV room views are pretty nice... very few parking lot/roof views! Good luck with your choice. :)

Nope. I missed that. Thanks for pointing it out. My eyes are tired from being on the computer planning two trips. In 10 days will be at the BW for food and wine, and then the Gf 2 months later for christmas. Thanks again

Thank you KC mike for that picture, I LOVE that foundtain, what I wouldn't give to have that in my yard!

Hi everyone, It has been some time since I have posted on this thread, but I do read it and try to say up with you all. We had a great GF stay last year during October and look forward to going back some day. I do think I will wait until they are done with the construction.

I do have a question for you all. It has been mentioned on here about the monorail having hours cut recently? What is the change regarding hours of transportation? The reason I love staying at a MK resort is the ease of transportation as well as the beauty of the lagoon. We are in planning stage for a trip early next year so answer to this will help us decide which resort we chose.

Angel16

Please say it's not so. DVC construction at the GF??? Oh no!! I better re think my plans for the holidays.:goodvibes:scared1:

I would assume the construction will get worse as the building progresses. I don't think it will really be an annoyance except at the pool. I am not planning on any swimming in December so I don't think it willl impact our vacatation that much.

My mom and I just booked the GF for our first ever mother-daughter trip to WDW during the holiday season!!!
:santa::santa:

I am SO excited, but feeling guilty that the also-very-well-decorated WL would have been about $400 less. GF fans- convince us that we are making the right choice staying at the GF rather than the WL this December!! Should we be at all worried about loud DVC construction that time of year?

We've had 10 trips to the WL over the years and absolutely love the place, so much so that we've been dissapointed with our stays at AKL and SSR. However, having just returned from a 2 week stay at GF, we now have a new favourite, I'm sure you'll enjoy it. :thumbsup2

Having said that, the boarding that has gone up is already having a negative impact on the place, I would be seeking re-assurances regarding the scale of the construction at the point you're there. I won't return until the construction is finished.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter