The New Elite Commandos

How does that work please? Thanks
As soon as you enter the line for FP#1, on your MDX app:
Go to FP#2 and Select Modify
Keep tapping the current time selection to see if an earlier time pops up
If an earlier time pops up, select it.
If you want to check if there’s an earlier time, repeat the Modify process.

After you finish Modifying FP#2, begin the process on FP#3.

Also attempt to Modify FP#3 after you’ve entered the line for FP#2.

We have been 5 times from the UK (2 weeks at a time). My colleague is going to WDW for the first time in May. This is what I told him as a basic strategy:

Get to the park 30-40 mins before park opening
First hour - do popular rides (without fast pass)
10am to 1pm - fast passes (less popular rides or shows in between)
Lunch (sit down, take a break)
Afternoon / evening - extra fast passes (where available) plus shows, diversions, less popular rides, etc

Oh, and I advised him to buy the Unofficial Guide

Not sure if this is optimum commando advice but I think it's basically sound and I didn't want to overawe him too much!

If it seems too expensive then i'd suggest staying offsite and driving down to save on airfare. Then you have your vehicle so you don't have to worry about renting a car either.
YES! We are AP holders (for a few more months anyway) and we did this Thanksgiving (my 3rd trip in 4 months and the rest of families 2nd in 4 months-it is pretty awesome to have a CM in the family even if temporary! Oh I miss the discounts). Stayed offsite at a fabulous Marriott (booked there again for 2nd week of June trip)-we have found we are much better equipped to handle lines/crowds/stress when we have our own space and beds. DH and I also realized we hadn't actually done a road trip that long with a family of 5 (we used to do that all the time when first married and then even after first kid came along). So DH got to be the corny dad calling out states as we passed, making up "facts" about states, sites etc. We will likely drive again in June-unless I can find some fabulous airfare rates.

Over our 4 days, we never saw SDTMT or FOP come up. And we were done with FP by 12:30-1:15 every day. Again, I agree, doesn’t work very often if CL are 9/
As a PP said-really depends on the crowd. We hit RD at MK on Thanksgiving day, had FP for late morning and hit nearly all the major rides by 12 ish or so-with lots and lots of FP still available for early afternoon (family of 4 then). DH and I went over NY and -with exception of EPCOT in afternoon of NYE- found tons of ADRs and FP pop up (never saw FoP pop up but did see everything else). But I swear I saw more "first visit" buttons over NYE than I did over the summer! Also I think some of this depends on party size. My DD (who was on the college program) found a same day FP in August for FOP-I think she refreshed for about 20 minutes straight (couldn't make her FoP FP at same time as rest of family as she didn't yet have her maingate pass at the time). I just did a random check and after a couple refreshers found a Navi FP pop up for 3:40 today - party of 1.
Mardi Gras week sounds like it might have more experienced peeps going and know how to work the FP better?

Are we going to just accept this new normal where Disney allows for all of its park guests to have the same equal experience?

You're so right. When I went in my "young and dumb" days, there was no way to plan your day before arriving. You showed up, grabbed a map, and the "smart" people went to the back of the park and worked their way to the front. That was the extent of it. In subsequent years, we were always there with groups, and never really had the freedom to plan or go out on our own, so it didn't matter.

When we prepared to take our kids for the first time in 2013, I planned like crazy. And it paid off. We had great discounts, and barely even needed to use the old paper FP system because we went during a slow time. The longest we waited for any ride was 20 minutes. It was glorious.

When we took the kids back in 2015, things had changed. Trying to get ADRs was like guerrilla warfare. Manipulating the FP+ system gave me a headache. Crowd calendars were a joke. It seemed like nothing I did to plan or prepare actually helped us, with the exception of carrying ponchos in my backpack. I felt like the only thing it did was give me a dissatisfaction because nothing was actually as it was "supposed" to be. I had to Elsa it... let it go... and we winged it more than I thought we would. With the kids a bit older and PH tickets, it was more feasible. I wouldn't have been able to do that in 2013 when they were younger.

Our kids love Disney. We love Disney. But this past year, we had the time and budget for a quick trip and decided to do Universal instead of Disney. While completely different, it was much less stressful because I didn't feel like I even COULD plan like I usually do at Disney. We had a good time, but it was not the same as a Disney trip at all... in many ways. I didn't expect it to be, but I also didn't expect to feel so weird about it.

I feel like it's gotten to the point where when we walk through the gates, those who spend time planning and putting in the effort are on level ground with the people who don't. I don't like it. At all. I feel like if I'm willing to put in the time, energy, and effort to plan, there should be some sort of payoff for it. We're doing an adults only trip this fall for our anniversary, and I'm finding it difficult to plan. I want to... but I feel like it's almost futile. I'm afraid we're going to have to wing it a lot more than I like. It's difficult to believe crowd calendars, and with everyone clamoring for free dining promos (which aren't free) and hoarding ADRs, I feel like I have to fight just to get a decent place to eat dinner. I'm willing to do the work and put in the time. I'm just not sure it's actually worth it any more. And that makes me really sad.

Speaking of which.
I dont have a ton of cash to drop on dining so no table service for us.
But i do want a Be Our Guest reservation.
Im looking 180 days out and no avail.
Any commando strategies for adr's?
Use the touring plans reservation finder. You need a free account to use it

We have been 5 times from the UK (2 weeks at a time). My colleague is going to WDW for the first time in May. This is what I told him as a basic strategy:

Get to the park 30-40 mins before park opening
First hour - do popular rides (without fast pass)
10am to 1pm - fast passes (less popular rides or shows in between)
Lunch (sit down, take a break)
Afternoon / evening - extra fast passes (where available) plus shows, diversions, less popular rides, etc

Oh, and I advised him to buy the Unofficial Guide

Not sure if this is optimum commando advice but I think it's basically sound and I didn't want to overawe him too much!

A few modifications to your basic strategy:

-- The most popular rides (headliners) get mobbed first thing in the morning. I would attack the ones that don't get mobbed, and have fast passes for the headliners later in the morning or day.

-- See shows in the afternoon, when rides have the longest wait times.

At blizzard beach right now. Im an amateur for the water parks but here is a new tip ive discovered :

The lazy river is your mode of transportation. If you need to get to the other side of the park just grab a tube and laze in the river.

The river circles the park and will take you where you want to go.

We consider ourselves WDW experts. I've been visiting since the 1970s. We do all the FP+ tricks, ADRs 180 days in advance, etc. While I do some commando days, I am incorporating more relaxed days into our trips. It's made our visits so much more enjoyable. We commando in the morning and sip drinks poolside in the afternoon. Some mornings we sleep in, swim and hit the parks at night. We mix it up all the time. Because we've visited so many times, we don't feel the need to kill ourselves to see and do everything.
We've always been rope drop to closing ppl (even with the kids were super little). We just got back from a trip and my kids are now 14 and 17 and my 17 yr old was the one who wanted to not do rope drop and come back and take a nap. We did find ourselves slowing down more than we use to and enjoyed it. Don't get me wrong, we were at parks everyday (even did all 4 parks on our last full day); but we did come back to the hotel a lot of times mid day to unwind and hit the parks again after dinner.

We've always been rope drop to closing ppl (even with the kids were super little). We just got back from a trip and my kids are now 14 and 17 and my 17 yr old was the one who wanted to not do rope drop and come back and take a nap. We did find ourselves slowing down more than we use to and enjoyed it. Don't get me wrong, we were at parks everyday (even did all 4 parks on our last full day); but we did come back to the hotel a lot of times mid day to unwind and hit the parks again after dinner.

I'm curious, we've only ever done two parks in a day (not counting dinner at Epcot, but we stay at Beach Club, so its right there.) What is four parks in a day like?? How much time do you spend in each one?

At blizzard beach right now. Im an amateur for the water parks but here is a new tip ive discovered :

The lazy river is your mode of transportation. If you need to get to the other side of the park just grab a tube and laze in the river.

The river circles the park and will take you where you want to go.

This has been our strategy as well, great way to get around!

I'm curious, we've only ever done two parks in a day (not counting dinner at Epcot, but we stay at Beach Club, so its right there.) What is four parks in a day like?? How much time do you spend in each one?

My son and I did a four-parks day two weeks ago. We did our five favorite things at each park. It took all day for us (until 11:00) but it was a super, super hot and humid day so we weren't always moving at top speed.

We started at AK, took the bus to HS, took the Friendship Boat to Epcot, and then the Monorail to MK. We spent about three hours in each park. (It could be more if you start at a place that opens before 9:00, but we were too tired for that.)

20%20final_zpsezbgwloc.jpg

Last edited:
My son and I did a four-parks day two weeks ago. We did our five favorite things at each park. It took all day for us (until 11:00) but it was a super, super hot and humid day so we weren't always moving at top speed.

We started at AK, took the bus to HS, took the Friendship Boat to Epcot, and then the Monorail to MK. We spent about three hours in each park. (It could be more if you start at a place that opens before 9:00, but we were too tired for that.)

20%20final_zpsezbgwloc.jpg

Very cool, this might be our new challenge for our next trip!

Our original plan for the day was only to do 1, maybe 2 parks that day. It was our last full day at WDW and we had been doing rope drop every day. Our schedule was for MK (MK was also closing at 6 for the first MNSSHP) and we had lunch at BOG at noon so we decided to not do rope drop that day since we had already been there a few times in the trip already. So we got to MK around 11:30 and did our first FP (Mine train) and then had lunch. We had planned on staying till close; but the crowds were pretty low and not long waits so after riding everything we wanted to (ie: Space, Thunder, Splash, HM, Pirates, Buzz, Ppl Mover and watched COP to cool down :)), we left around 4:30. We then hopped on over to Epcot and rode Spaceship Earth, Soarin, TT and Frozen. Spaceship earth had no wait, we got a FP for Soarin; but had to wait Standby for TT and Frozen. TT was about a 45 min wait and Frozen about 30. We also ate a quick dinner in Mexico at the CS place (always forget it's name). After Epcot, we decided we wanted to ride FOP one more time; but wanted to wait nearer to closing time to get in line. We rode Dinosaur and Everest before getting in line on FOP around 9:20. It so happened that Hollywood Studies had extra magic hrs that night so the park closed at 12:30 so we decided to run over there so we could say we did all 4 parks in one day! We rode TOT 2x, RnR 1x, Star Tours 1x and TSMM 1x.

Basically, just pick your favorite rides to hit at each of the parks (use FPs when you can). For all the years we've been going; this was the first time we did it. It was helpful that Animal Kingdom was closing later (9:30) that day and that HS had it's EMH. Good Luck!

What a great thread this is! I love the OP, and I've really been enjoying the discussion.

We are uber planners and commandos from days gone by, with 50+ trips under our belts, but now heading back after a 6 year absence. It's very clear to me that we might as well be total noobs, despite our long years of experience.

I have mixed feelings about this - partly dazed and confused, and also partly excited about the challenge of learning the new system. Above all of it, though, is the knowledge that we are still going to have a wonderful trip. Maybe we won't be able to ride every single ride (but we're sure going to try!), but it will still be fine.

We'll work with FP+, we'll try refreshing, we'll wait in some standby lines when it's reasonable, and when all else fails, we will still be at Disney World, and there's always something to enjoy.

Our original plan for the day was only to do 1, maybe 2 parks that day. It was our last full day at WDW and we had been doing rope drop every day. Our schedule was for MK (MK was also closing at 6 for the first MNSSHP) and we had lunch at BOG at noon so we decided to not do rope drop that day since we had already been there a few times in the trip already. So we got to MK around 11:30 and did our first FP (Mine train) and then had lunch. We had planned on staying till close; but the crowds were pretty low and not long waits so after riding everything we wanted to (ie: Space, Thunder, Splash, HM, Pirates, Buzz, Ppl Mover and watched COP to cool down :)), we left around 4:30. We then hopped on over to Epcot and rode Spaceship Earth, Soarin, TT and Frozen. Spaceship earth had no wait, we got a FP for Soarin; but had to wait Standby for TT and Frozen. TT was about a 45 min wait and Frozen about 30. We also ate a quick dinner in Mexico at the CS place (always forget it's name). After Epcot, we decided we wanted to ride FOP one more time; but wanted to wait nearer to closing time to get in line. We rode Dinosaur and Everest before getting in line on FOP around 9:20. It so happened that Hollywood Studies had extra magic hrs that night so the park closed at 12:30 so we decided to run over there so we could say we did all 4 parks in one day! We rode TOT 2x, RnR 1x, Star Tours 1x and TSMM 1x.

Basically, just pick your favorite rides to hit at each of the parks (use FPs when you can). For all the years we've been going; this was the first time we did it. It was helpful that Animal Kingdom was closing later (9:30) that day and that HS had it's EMH. Good Luck!

:worship:

Holy moley, you even managed to ride FOP?? I'm impressed!

Thank you for the run-down. I'd like to plan our next trip not in the 90-plus degree August heat, when we usually go and when we move like slugs, lol.
Then maybe we would have a chance, I know my kids would love to try!

What a great thread this is! I love the OP, and I've really been enjoying the discussion.

We are uber planners and commandos from days gone by, with 50+ trips under our belts, but now heading back after a 6 year absence. It's very clear to me that we might as well be total noobs, despite our long years of experience.

I have mixed feelings about this - partly dazed and confused, and also partly excited about the challenge of learning the new system. Above all of it, though, is the knowledge that we are still going to have a wonderful trip. Maybe we won't be able to ride every single ride (but we're sure going to try!), but it will still be fine.

We'll work with FP+, we'll try refreshing, we'll wait in some standby lines when it's reasonable, and when all else fails, we will still be at Disney World, and there's always something to enjoy.

That's a great attitude, you're sure to have a great time whatever happens!

I am a rope drop/late hours type of visitor. I get there early, go hard all morning, use FP if planned. Take a break at a pool or lounge in the afternoon. Return to a park (I always use Hopper) use FP if not done yet and then start using 4th and 5th.....FP's and as the park starts clearing out or people gather for fireworks and what not, hit the rides. Last summer, I was able to do almost 1/2 of Magic Kingdom in about 2 hours. BTMRR, SM, POC, Jungle Cruise etc all done in about an hour with no FP's. I take advantage of late night EMH's too as most parents will not have their kids out later than 10pm and the crowds really thin out.

I don't trust any crowd calendars anymore, I just plan and pick parks/days and go. We have also started staying longer. I'd rather not feel rushed with a 8-10 night trip, knowing I am going to be at most every park multiple times. We also will see what the weather is doing and throw in a water park day (or 2) just to break it up. The middle of our trip, we will have a "sleep in day" where we sleep as long as we want/can and go to Disney Springs for Lunch/shopping and a park in the late afternoon.

Much has changed as our kids have gotten older too. Teenagers don't want to do the same things as toddlers.

OP, I saw you mention about the “old days”when we would walk around with our lime green Mickey ears we picked up in Home Depot. Well, wanted to come back on this great thread and say that Im going to Disney next week and still “old school”.

420C5306-8FF6-4253-8FF6-E64C4400FA99.jpeg

Get those 3 fast passes done asap so you can get number 4, 5, 6...

OP, I saw you mention about the “old days”when we would walk around with our lime green Mickey ears we picked up in Home Depot. Well, wanted to come back on this great thread and say that Im going to Disney next week and still “old school”.

View attachment 347206
Every time i see a family in lime green i like to think its a multigenerational disboard family :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter