The *New* Disney's Grand Floridian Resort & Spa Frequently Asked Questions (FEB2004) Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I havent seen that yet in the system. I am sure if it is new the RPC staffs will make sure regulars get their requests. I know know someone who goes to BWI all the time and even when booking a regular concierge room they get a deluxe one.

Ya! Glad you saw this Kelly.....I was going to say "Kelly, where are you?"

That's how it should be.

Lives4Disney :)

i went to the booking site and put in dates starting in feb thru march and that never came up for me. Just standard club and standard king club. If it does come up I will post.

Sorry if this has been asked a million times before but I was wondering if anyone knows when they start taking the Christmas decorations down at the GF?
Unfortunately, there won't be much left for decorations, if any at all, by the 5th. We arrived at the GF on January 2nd and they were dismantling the Gingerbread House. That took about 2 days to complete and then they started on the rest of the decorations. Usually, by the end of that first weekend, it's all back to normal.

Hello! Some of you regulars may remember me from last fall when we took our twin sons to WDW for the first time. One of our sons has cerebral palsy and we booked an RPC deluxe room so that he could move independently in the room. Long story made short, our reservation was changed (by CRO/IPO) and we were downgraded to a regular RPC room. They did their best to make it up to us.

Anyway, here is an update and question. Following a little windfall, my DH has agreed to plan a "re-do" vacation!!!

Of course, finding availablity for one of these rooms is a challenge, but it looks like we can get Feb 10-17 2008. So my questions are these:

- can anyone give me a great description of these rooms so I can be sure it's worth taking these dates (which aren't ideal). Does Janet 2K (or anyone else) have any photo's?

- does anyone have any comment about WDW crowds during the week leading into Washington's Bday (forgive me, but is this "Presidents Week"...Canadian here)?

- is the weather OK?

Looking forward to hearing from you, especially about the room configuration...

Twinmum

- can anyone give me a great description of these rooms so I can be sure it's worth taking these dates (which aren't ideal). Does Janet 2K (or anyone else) have any photo's?
Janet does have deluxe room photos, but I'm not sure if she's finished migrating all her photos to her new site. I have the floor plans on my website if that helps. Just click on the link and scroll down almost to the bottom of the page. Just above the honeymoon rooms, are the two options available for RPC deluxe rooms.

- does anyone have any comment about WDW crowds during the week leading into Washington's Bday (forgive me, but is this "Presidents Week"...Canadian here)?
Here in New England, the kids are off from school the week of the 18th, so you don't have to worry about us.

- is the weather OK?
We've been to Florida a few times during February. Even coming from the north, I thought it was a bit cool to swim. During the day, we'd be in short sleeve shirts and long pants. Anytime you go from December through February, you really need to be prepared for both warm and cold weather. We find that layering during the day helps, but I do bring a jacket and mittens for the night time.

WoodysRoundup, the view of Wishes is fantastic from the TPV rooms in Conch Key. The music is played from a speaker that is near Narcoossee's I think and can be very clearly heard from Conch Key rooms with that view as well as from that dock. It is also easy to hear from speakers near the marina area and Gasparilla's.

We weren't in WDW last week. We head North in August.:goodvibes

greanpea69, in my experience the dates for decoration removal vary widely. This year we checked in on the 4th and absolutely everything was down in the GF although the parks still were decorated...at least some of them. But in 2006 we checked in roughly the same time and the decorations were all still up except for the Gingerbread House. I think they came down around the 8th that year. Another year, the tree was up until the 11th or 12th. So I think you just never know. But the Gingerbread House has come down early every year that we've been there around that time. Good luck.

We are going from 11/8-11/13. The Osbourne Lights and MVMCP starts on the 12th. Does anybody know if the Gingerbread House or the GF decorations are up by then also?

Hi All,

I am finally going to my dream resort-10/31/07-11/06/07. I had orginally booked POFG which is my fav mod for these dates, then switched to cbr when Disney visa rewards came out to save about $450.00. I was looking online yesterday and was able to get what I thought was a pretty decent rate for GF with the disney reward code so I upgraded. I was only able to book garden view. Oh well., I am still very excited about this up coming trip. We are planning a more laid back approach, as we have been several times. Last Nov we stayed at the Poly and then a 3 day Disney cruise We are going to try and do some different things. I have already gotten tickets for MNSSHP on 10/31/07 and some nice dinners booked. I have a couple of quick questions if anyone can help I would appreciate it.

First Question- Does anyone know if once I arrive if I can pay the additional amount to be upgraded to a Magic Kingdom View if available, If not can anyone give me some idea as to where these Garden rooms our located and what I can expect as far as view goes.

Second Question- We have Narcoisse book for our last night at 8:00, Wishes is at 7:00 and would really like a place for DH and I to have a glass of wine before dinner and watch wishes does anyone have any suggestions. Does Narcoisse have a bar or do they just serve when seated at a table for dinner?

Third-Coffee- I love to have my first cup asap when waking. Is there a coffee bar at GF similiar to the one at the Poly?

Thanks In Advance-

Wall

Does Janet2K have a website? If so, could you let me know. I have been going back into the GF thread and when I click on Janets pictures say that they have been moved or maybe I just can't get them. I bet she has some great photos that I would love to see of the GF! thanks!

I am taking my daughter and my cousin for their 13th birthdays for 3 nights in October. I tried booking GF but it was sold out...so I booked WL, stayed there and liked it, but I kept checking...and this morning, jackpot! I switched. All that was available was Garden view, but I think for a "girls" trip, the GF will be wonderful! I'm excited to be a member of this staggeringly large thread :cool1: :cool1:

Were you checking online or on the phone?

Both! Originally I called to check availability with the Disney Visa code. No dice. I ended up booking WL because that was the only deluxe I could get, although I've stayed there before and wanted to try something new. So I tried every day for three days...nope. When AP discounts came out, I tried online and on the phone, no GF. I checked online and GF was sold out at rack rates for my dates (Oct 10-13). Then I checked again online and on the phone when the general public discount came out. Again, nothing for GF, Contemporary, Poly...Boardwalk Deluxe concierge came up, and WL courtyard view, no concierge. I struggled with my decision anyway, because of the whole package vs. room only as an AP holder argument, I love the dining plan but...you know what I mean! Like I had an angel and a devil on my shoulder, saying "don't forget this" and "what about this". Irritating!

So this morning, because I'm nutty, I checked again, although I was pretty much decided to just keep WL since I would have had to pay for my package in 6 days...and wow, GF came up! I found it under the package, and the AP, and wrestled with that one:thumbsup2 but in the end grabbed the AP room only. I booked it quickly! And then called and cancelled the WL package.

I'd love lagoon or concierge, but I'm just happy to be in at all...it was my first choice for this trip,Poly in 2 1/2 weeks with my whole family, LOVE the Poly, and Contemporary 14th floor with DH as a surprise in November. I feel very lucky this year!

Hi All,

I am finally going to my dream resort-10/31/07-11/06/07. I had orginally booked POFG which is my fav mod for these dates, then switched to cbr when Disney visa rewards came out to save about $450.00. I was looking online yesterday and was able to get what I thought was a pretty decent rate for GF with the disney reward code so I upgraded. I was only able to book garden view. Oh well., I am still very excited about this up coming trip. We are planning a more laid back approach, as we have been several times. Last Nov we stayed at the Poly and then a 3 day Disney cruise We are going to try and do some different things. I have already gotten tickets for MNSSHP on 10/31/07 and some nice dinners booked. I have a couple of quick questions if anyone can help I would appreciate it.

First Question- Does anyone know if once I arrive if I can pay the additional amount to be upgraded to a Magic Kingdom View if available, If not can anyone give me some idea as to where these Garden rooms our located and what I can expect as far as view goes.

Second Question- We have Narcoisse book for our last night at 8:00, Wishes is at 7:00 and would really like a place for DH and I to have a glass of wine before dinner and watch wishes does anyone have any suggestions. Does Narcoisse have a bar or do they just serve when seated at a table for dinner?

Third-Coffee- I love to have my first cup asap when waking. Is there a coffee bar at GF similiar to the one at the Poly?

Thanks In Advance-

Wall

I will try to answer what I can. I have stayed at the GF lots of times, but not yet GV. I booked it for Thanksgiving, though. GV rooms at the GF are great! They mostly have courtyard & pool views. Sago has marina view as an option which makes for convenient Wishes viewing as the music is piped in right there and there are tables and chairs because the marina is right in front of Gasparilla's. Boca Chica has garden views of the courtyard/pool/and across from the pool is the main building. Conch is out near the boat launch & may have a few lagoon view rooms. Big Pine has views also of the courtyard & quiet pool area & it is nearest the theme pool and entrance to the main building. There are only a handful of less desirable garden views.....from Boca Chica & Big Pine there are a few rooms that would look onto the rooftop of a pool building. (If I wind up with that view I will ask to switch rooms) Sago might look out at the back of the convention center (another room switch). For our Nov GV stay I am hoping for Boca Chica or Sago marina view.

First question....if it's available you can pay to upgrade at check in.

Second question....For all our GF stays we have yet to try Narcoosees....I booked it for our Thanksgiving trip, though - so sorry I can't answer re the bar at Narcoosees. You can see Wishes from the beach areas and also the boat launch or at the end of the buildings (Sago and Conch) I believe there are quiet benches you can relax on while watching it. Not sure about if drinks would be available at the pool bar at this evening time.

Coffee bar??:confused3 I have only stayed concierge so get my coffee in the lounge. Not sure about this one other than maybe at Gasparilla's Grill. :confused3 They are open 24 hours. I don't think they serve the good coffee, though.:confused: For the most part I think Disney coffee is awful.

Dicecatt - Welcome to our GF thread!!!:goodvibes For a girls trip (or any WDW trip ;) ) you picked the perfect hotel. You will LOVE the Grand.:wizard:

Dicecatt, welcome to the thread.:goodvibes What a great way to welcome to celebrate their 13th birthdays.

PrincessPaczki, I don't know if Janet has a site. I remember that she was moving all of her great photos to a new site. I bet she'll eventually pop in again. She does an amazing job of follow up when she has time to check in here.

wall6363, can't help with your first question but Narcoossee's does have a bar. I've never sat at it but think there may not be a view of Wishes from there. Just a guess based on the angle. But if not, I'm sure you could step outside near the boat dock for the fireworks. Or watch Wished from the dock and then ask to be seated at the bar.

There is not a coffee bar like Kona's at the GF. However, Gasparilla's is open 24/7 and offers coffee.

wdhinn89, the schedule for decorations seems to vary quite a bit. I think it may be to keep that element of magical surprise. When we first started to go to WDW in the early 80's, all decorations went up overnight. It was amazing. But there were only one and then two parks and a few resorts. I'm sure it is not logistically practical to do it that way anymore. But it is still a surprise to go to bed and in the am see your resort decorated so beautifully. Long answer to say I don;t think any of us know yet. But the decorations do start going up sometime in November.

Thanks for the welcomes! I think the girls will love being at GF. I told my daughter tonight that I switched resorts and told her to guess which one. She said Poly? I said no, try again! She said GF? with a hopeful look in her eyes! And my cousin...she doesn't get much pampering in her life, so I am very excited to be able to take her with us. I want to spread the Disney magic a little!

Speaking of Narcoossee's, I booked it for their birthday meal! I booked 7:25, either hoping for a window table, or to be able to be finished and get outside for Wishes by 9 PM. Is there viewing right outside of the restaurant, or will I have to walk further away? I just want to make sure, in the event of no window seat, we can make it outside in time.

My DH and I are eating at Citircos during our Poly stay in September, my sister is joining us for a few days (staying at Pop) and is taking the kids to Ohana while we have a quiet meal!

Oh, and also...views? I am thinking of requesting Boca Chica, although what I would like is a MK view...I'm going to keep trying to change my reservation and if that doesn't work see if I can move up when I arrive (willing to pay for it!)

Thanks for the welcomes! I think the girls will love being at GF. I told my daughter tonight that I switched resorts and told her to guess which one. She said Poly? I said no, try again! She said GF? with a hopeful look in her eyes! And my cousin...she doesn't get much pampering in her life, so I am very excited to be able to take her with us. I want to spread the Disney magic a little!

Speaking of Narcoossee's, I booked it for their birthday meal! I booked 7:25, either hoping for a window table, or to be able to be finished and get outside for Wishes by 9 PM. Is there viewing right outside of the restaurant, or will I have to walk further away? I just want to make sure, in the event of no window seat, we can make it outside in time.

My DH and I are eating at Citircos during our Poly stay in September, my sister is joining us for a few days (staying at Pop) and is taking the kids to Ohana while we have a quiet meal!

Oh, and also...views? I am thinking of requesting Boca Chica, although what I would like is a MK view...I'm going to keep trying to change my reservation and if that doesn't work see if I can move up when I arrive (willing to pay for it!)

Pretty much right outside of Narcoosees is the MK boat launch & there are benches right there. Front row seats. :wizard: Sounds like a lot of fun! DDs and I did a girls only trip once and I would do it again in a minute if the opportunity presented itself.:goodvibes

The only problem with the "MK" view is that it is really booked as "Theme Park View" and you may or may not see the castle. You could have a dead on Space Mtn view with a tree blocking your castle view.

BCV23- Thank you for letting me know about the Christmas - oops! Holiday :santa: decorations. The decoration removal sounds fairly random so I will just cross my fingers and hope some of the decorations are still up when we arrive. The decorations are just so lovely - it would be great to see even a modified version for a day or two.:goodvibes

TammiMcMan - A huge thank you for including your link to the GF floor plans! I've been hoping to find a BQ 2 bedroom floor plan and it was just such a terrific surprise to find that you had one!! We are hoping for a theme park view but they are all booked on our dates. We will keep trying though!

Does anyone have, or know of a link to, photos of an outer lodge 2 bedroom suite? Thanks again!!pixiedust:

Besides the dock for the MK launch that Lives4Disney mentioned there is also a porch off the small lobby of Narcoosee's with a view of Wishes. If it is too full, I would walk out of Narcoosee's and hang a right to get to the dock.

Enjoy Citricos and Narcoosee's. One of our favorite things about the GF even if we're staying at the Polynesian is the great restaurants there. We love V&A, GF Cafe, Narcoossee's and Citricos.:thumbsup2

Hi All,

Thanks In Advance-

Wall

Where on line were you able to use the visa code? I have not been able to find any areas where they ask for a code.

Thankks:)

I have read about the cakes & goodies you can order for birthday celebrations, but I was wondering if GF does any free celebrations? We are going in Dec. & I mentioned to my Travel Agent that my b-day is at the end of Nov. & since I really don't want to order myself a cake, I wondered if any of you have experienced any 'free' magic at GF? Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter