The *New* Disney's Grand Floridian Resort & Spa Frequently Asked Questions (FEB2004) Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure what kind of meat it is! LOL! What was the food like? We are going for our anniv as well. I hope we get half of the Royal treatment you got. I have stayed at all the other hotels and we just got balloons and a card.
What was the cost of your boat? How many people where on your boat when you did the parasailing. How scary is it?

Heather! That is just so neat - what they did for you two. Thanks for the pictures, too!!! I am so glad the GF came thru for you. :wizard: I knew they would.:goodvibes

:confused: I hate the new room. The colors are so ugly and bland. I agree....I hate a TV just standing out like that in a room. I much prefer it hidden. It does not go with the decor at all having that big high tech TV standing out like a sore thumb. Looks tacky to me. Just like Lisa mentioned, I thought that chair looked completely like a hospital chair. My exact thought on seeing it! :sad2: I am glad there was a minibar.:thumbsup2 Maybe just in RPC now? I don't think the new Conch rooms had one. I will survive, though.....we made it at the YC w/out one. We just stocked up at the little store. ;)

:) I was so touched about Rex making you that sweet orchid corsage. And then the rose petals and all the decorating. Love it.

:) That is really interesting about the new Grand 1. There is no way I would have been happy sitting in the back of the old Grand 1. The exhaust smell was nasty.

:confused: That concierge CM you mentioned .........Maybe he was clueless about all the special details of your stay. :confused3

:) OMG....that portrait of your sweet dog brought tears to my eyes. DD and I were just today talking about getting a portrait painted of our furry girl, Tatum. That was so wonderful of your DH. What a great gift.

LOL.....the return of the gray meat. Don't they ever run out??? Ugh. Enough is enough!!!! Change the menu. Hope they're reading this.:laughing:

Thanks for the great review and pics!

Channing :goodvibes

Hi! About the special dinner, we knew they were arranging a dinner for us, but we didn't know what it would be. I told them that I was a pescatarian, and then they just took it from there.

As I said, we've stayed at the GF many, many times and have never had 1/10th of this amount of magic! It was really an over-the-top trip. I've always read about it happening to others, like Janet2K, but we have never experienced anything like this ourselves. So I don't think this is SOP for anniversaries there, unless they've made some extreme changes in the past few weeks :) I think it was because we'd had some bad experiences, and this was their way of making it up to us. Which they more than did.

But the great thing is that anyone can arrange for these experiences, so if you like the sound of any of these, you can call up and book it or arrange it with Private Dining. I actually debated about posting it here, because I thought it might make other guests feel bad. I know, contrary though it is, I have felt little seeds of jealousy when I read about others' fabulous trips. Why not me? But it was such a great trip, and I wanted to share that they'd more than made up for the snafus in planning. And also because these are things that anyone can arrange, though I wasn't aware of some of them, despite how many times I've been there.

Channing, I agree with you about the decor. The TV in particular was standing out for me, though of course when we transferred to the BWI which still has the hidden armoire TV's, the first thing my husband said was, "I miss my flat screen LG." :rotfl2: So perhaps this was their concession to the men staying at the GF?

The main lodge is being done a bit differently from the outer lodges. Our room still had the old desk and the mini-bar, though I've seen both those for sale on eBay, from the outer lodges. So hopefully they're just going to keep those in the main lodge rooms still.

The new Grand One is really beautiful, but we just loved getting that nice breeze out on the bow. After our wedding reception, we took our families out on the Grand One, and all 10 of us climbed out onto the bow to enjoy the breeze & great views. Ruth, the Private Dining server, told us that this time, the yacht company hadn't let the CM's pick the yacht, so it now lacks this feature. Too bad...

Rex was a great driver. The orchid corsage was such a thoughtful, unexpected gesture. And he did a wonderful job of positioning us. We were dead center in front of the fireworks, while the Grand One was actually far off to the side. I'd read reports that the Grand One got priority, but Rex definitely outmaneuvered the yacht driver :)

Cheers!
Heather W

I am glad that you shared your wonderful experience! It makes me think there is still Disney Magic!!!!

WOW!! How magical - they really came through for you!:cloud9:
So sorry to here about your dog - the oil portrait of her is beautiful! I'm weirded out about leaving our puppy for the first time at the kennel next week! She's like our 3rd child!

So I have had a bitter/sweet day today. I was supposed to have surgery tomorrow...and they called me this am to tell me that my surgery is postponed until next Friday...8/17. Needless to say I was not happy and cried most of the morning:sad2: . But on the other hand today I was lucky enough to score a dinner ressie @ Le Cellier :banana: :banana: :banana: (someone on the cancelation board unknowingly had 3 ressies for Le cellier in one week and so very graciously gave one to me) So that made my day a little better. I am just concerned now with the surgery being postponed that we may have to delay our trip (we almost had to cancel it before due to this whole mess)...and I really really need this trip....Looking forward to it has been one of the only things getting me through lately. I think I need some magic pixie dust or something to change my luck.

:grouphug: Sorry to hear about this. Hope everything goes OK & you heal quickly. That's awful it was postponed at the last minute.

I know it's important to have something to look forward to and your Disney trip is the perfect thing to get you thru. :grouphug:

Cheer up! :wizard: Let us know how you're doing. Hope you don't have to postpone, but if you do, Disney World will still be there waiting for you. :hug:

Lives4Disney :)

Any idea why NO RPC rooms are showing up at all for Dec 2008?

Any idea why NO RPC rooms are showing up at all for Dec 2008?

None are showing up for us for August 2008 yet, either. I think it's because they're raising the rates & haven't set them yet. The BWI CM we spoke to said that they haven't set the room rates yet, since they're doing that per diem pricing, not the seasonal pricing.

We tried to book our next GF trip as soon as we got back home :)

Cheers!
Heather W

:thumbsup2 Heather...
I LOVE reading about your trip. It sounds AMAZING as I know it was!!

I have a couple of questions..How did you go about requesting a specific room? (At check in...fax...etc)

Also, I would LOVE to have a little suprise set up for us when we get to our room. Is there a website where I can see what all the GF offers?

Thanks so much!

So I have had a bitter/sweet day today. I was supposed to have surgery tomorrow...and they called me this am to tell me that my surgery is postponed until next Friday...8/17. Needless to say I was not happy and cried most of the morning:sad2: . But on the other hand today I was lucky enough to score a dinner ressie @ Le Cellier :banana: :banana: :banana: (someone on the cancelation board unknowingly had 3 ressies for Le cellier in one week and so very graciously gave one to me) So that made my day a little better. I am just concerned now with the surgery being postponed that we may have to delay our trip (we almost had to cancel it before due to this whole mess)...and I really really need this trip....Looking forward to it has been one of the only things getting me through lately. I think I need some magic pixie dust or something to change my luck.

Hi Jenins -- So sorry to hear of your surgery and that it had to be postponed. I know it was a disappointment as you were ready for tomorrow, but look at the luck you had in getting your LeCellier reservations.

You said you needed some magic pixie dust to change your luck, well I'm going to pray that you get angel dust spread all around you. My cousin will be in the hospital for surgery on the 14th, as I say a prayer for her successful surgery and recovery, I will ask that a special blessing to be sent your way for a complete and speedy recovery.

Keep looking forward to your WDW trip. WDW is the perfect place for rest and recuperation. I know all will work out fine.

Heather, thanks so much for posting about your trip. It looked like a wonderful experience. Reading about it made me tear up, especially the picture of your baby and the lovely orchid. I'm glad the took steps to make things right for you. :goodvibes

Jenins, I hope everything works out for you. Best wishes! :wizard:

Heather, thanks for posting all the photos. We've had Ruth from private dining for our Grand 1 cruise before and she was wonderful. I'd highly recommend her to anyone.

Heather, I'm glad your anniversary was filled with so much magic. Loved your pictures.

What a special gift from your husband.:hug:

Heather, your photos indicate the magical experience Disney should be!!! How wonderful to have the "magic" fill your trip like that. And that orchid corsage, how unique!

I am still not loving the new decor (wistful for Alice and teacups and fairy comforters ...).

I did get an e-mail from IPO with my ADRs at 6 PM, and got everything I asked except one (Brown Derby Fantasmic package). I must admit I called two more times today before I got the e-mail, and got the same woman (Germaine, Jermaine?) both times. She got rude by the third call, but I understand she was annoyed with me. I was just so worried I would not get CRT that I got a little nuts. I didn't want to just call myself because I would have ended up with double ressies at that point. When I got the e-mail, it took me forever to open it because there was a file type attached I am not familiar with (I am computer saavy!) and I had to download a new program to open it! :rotfl: That figures ...

All in all though, it worked out, and I will wait a while before I call back with any other requests I may have. ;)

- Andrea

P.S. I promise I am done with my rant about this. :goodvibes

So I sent an e-mail with me ADRs on Monday evening. Yesterday afternoon I called IPO because I wanted to check to make sure they would make them today, and I knew I was cutting it close with the e-mail. I could not wait on hold, so I left a message. I was on hold with IPO again today for 60 minutes. Gave up. Called back just now, and got through. Spoke with Germaine (spelling?!). Explained situation. Got put on hold for 5 minutes. Came back. Asked for e-mail address. Got put on hold for another few minutes. Came back. Said she found e-mail. Put me on hold for another 5 mionutes to go print the e-mail. Came back and said "Let me see what day we can start booking for you." Now, I had already said when I first got on the phone that today is my 180-day mark. I replied with "I believe it is today." DEAD SILENCE. So after several minutes of saying nothing, she tells me that she can only book 1900 Park Fare, Spoodles, and Ohana today and that everything would not be able to be book 'til the 11th. (We will be there from 02/04-02/10). So I said what about CRT? That is on my list. DEAD SILENCE. (Btw, she is looking at the print out of my e-mail so she has all my information right in front of her.) I was really trying to be patient and not condescending at this point and I tell her I was under the impression that because I am staying at a Disney resort, I can book ADRs 180 days out for up to 10 days. She cuts me off and says I need to be "updated" regarding their policy and that 1900 PF, Spoodles, and Ohana can be booked 190 days ahead and that the rest can be booked on the 11th (which includes Fantasmic package and Narcoosee's and Wonderland Tea Party). I say again, "What about CRT?!" I get put on hold for 10 minutes. When she comes back, she says the reservation system "let her put in all my dates" and that she will book them and e-mail me back. I asked when I could expect the e-mail and she said," Well, I have to enter your information. It might take a while." At that point I thanked her for her time, and told her I would look forward to the e-mail because we didn't get CRT last December, and I am really hoping to get it for DD princess: this time around ...
I know I took a chance by not booking myself, and I learned my lesson, but I jsut cannot believe this woman did not know what she was talking about!!! Rates keep going up and service seems to be declining all the time!!! (Sigh.)

Thanks everyone for reading my rant. Now I am "hoping" to get my e-mail with confirmation numbers later today ...

Ugh - so sorry to hear this! Completely unacceptable! :sad2:

If it makes you feel better, when I booked all my own reservations for our Dec. trip (and we're a huge group, so I was booking under the 180+10 rule with Group Dining), I was able to get everything at the 190-day mark, minus CRT. The great CM I was working with at Group Dining said it was common for only a couple of tables to be released before the 180-day mark, and to call back at the 180-day mark from when we wanted to dine. I did, and got the reservation with no problem. :thumbsup2

We are back!

Heather, your trip sounded divine! :cloud9: I'm so glad they made everything so special for you and your DH this time around. And thanks for posting pics of your room - DH and I are booked in one of the RPC Honeymoom rooms in Nov/Dec, and have requested one of the octagonal rooms. I'm glad to see what it looks like with the refurbishment (although I'm sad to see the old decor gone :sad1: ). I was really hoping for some different theming, but it looks like that bland comforter will be in every room. :rolleyes: I can live with the TV being exposed, but those rooms need COLOR!

I'll reserve total judgment until I see it myself, but I'm very underwhelmed. I'm already holding a reservation for next Dec. for a few nights (likely splitting with BWI or AKL), and I just wonder if I'll feel like staying there if I hate the room decor (and paying those prices). Time will tell, I guess!

:wizard: :wizard: for your surgery, and a :hug: , too. I certainly hope your trip will be able to go forward - particularly now that you have that Le Cellier reservation! :thumbsup2

I honestly think there is something still screwy with the reservation system since they loaded the '08 rates. I've noticed that RPC std. hadn't been coming up when I was checking Dec. dates (and I was checking a wide range - almost the entire 1st half of the month), and I'm sorry, I just can't believe that they're all gone - particularly at rack rates!

When I called CRO to get AAA rate quotes, the CM I was working with just started cracking up when the only thing available at AKL for any of my dates (again, in Dec.) was for the Presidential Suite. Even she said that she has been seeing this a lot in the past few days, but they all believe that the rooms just all haven't been loaded yet. Or maybe Disney is hoping we'll all just get desperate, and book whatever over-priced room they throw at us! :rotfl:

Just keep trying! :thumbsup2

because there are none. Im not kidding.

bad news. people are already booked for Xmas 2008??!!!:headache: OMG>...all this 2008 talk and I just realized I wrote 2008 on a check today, lol. :rotfl: I just had to ask DH what year it is??!!! That's stupid.

I hate booking so far in advance. I like to book just 2 to 3 months out like the good old days. Disney is killing my fun with their dumb 180 ADR window and now these new seasons and nightly rates and rate increases.

OK....rant over.:rolleyes1

Lives4Disney :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter