The NEW Disney's Contemporary Resort FAQ with PICTURES! (Feb 2008)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Francie same thing happened to me so we called. Then they sent me an email and here is the addressed they used:

Contemporary.Itinerary.Planning@disneyworld.com

Hope this helps. We are going Dec 5-12th. My DH and I are staying on the 12th floor and my DD AND DH with baby are staying on the 14th floor because we could get them a room cheaper with a AAA discount than the price we paid for the 12th. At least we are in the same hotel!

Are there coffee makers in the room?

Are cribs in the room--or do I have to request one?

Does anyone have a picture of the Pack 'n' Play crib that is used at CR?

We are going in 47 short days!!

I can't answer your crib question but there are coffee makers in the room. They are the 4 cup variety. You can bring your own coffee and filters and brew a decent cup of coffee - mine took a while to do it though.

You have to request a crib. We are going in December and my daughter just had a baby so for their room we requested a crib. It is on our reservation paperwork as well that they sent us. CANNOT WAIT

Hello! We are here at the CR. It is better than I imagined. Check in was great, room is wonderful and most important, I can look out my room and see the castle!! :woohoo: I hope to post later w/ more details.

:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

Hello! We are here at the CR. It is better than I imagined. Check in was great, room is wonderful and most important, I can look out my room and see the castle!! :woohoo: I hope to post later w/ more details.

I hope that you and you're family are having a great time and isn't it great having the Magic Kingdom View? Anyway while your there when you get a chance can you please tell me how much progress has been made in the construction of Chef Mickey's Express?

I hope that you and you're family are having a great time and isn't it great having the Magic Kingdom View? Anyway while your there when you get a chance can you please tell me how much progress has been made in the construction of Chef Mickey's Express?

Maybe you can get an opening date from someone??? ;) Have a wonderful trip!

Hi everyone! We're back from our first trip to the CR and we LOVED it! We had a lake view, perfect for us as we had the most fun renting a boat one day and parasailing another. It was so beautiful. If anyone is thinking maybe to either of those two activities, I say go for it. Well worth the money. They were both my DH's souvenirs this year. A little more than my pick-a-pearl, but memories for a lifetime!

On the last day we ate at Chef Mickey's and you guessed it - chosen as the housekeeping family of the day, so we all got towel animals and got to wave towels instead of napkins over our heads. Not exactly a night in the castle, but we were honored. We joked that they picked us because they saw my DS's bed and knew we needed some help from housekeeping!

All of your advice came in handy. Thanks again for the great prep you gave me. I've got tons of pics I hope to get up soon. Ask you if you have any questions!

Hey all! I was reading Anita Answer from AllEars, and she had posted some rumors about Bay Lake Tower (and other things) that I have not heard of. It is copied below (and the link after that) I can't wait until Disney finally announces this!

Jill writes:

Your column is addicting! We're not planning a trip to the World for another two years, yet I have to check here each week for the latest news. Thanks for giving me something to look forward to!

We are considering buying into the Disney Vacation Club (DVC), but are wondering what is going on with the rumored Contemporary tower -- is it or isn't it? When would you expect an announcement, and subsequent purchase availability? I would love to know what you think of adding what is certain to be a high capacity resort on a monorail system that seems to be running full as it is.

Hi Jill!

As you hinted, there has been some question as to whether or not this building is or is not a Disney Vacation Club resort. Recently, several requests were filed for food and beverage permits for the mysterious building's address. Those requests were made by Disney Vacation Club Management Corp., so I think that solves the mystery, don't you? Interestingly, one of the permits was for something called the "Top of the World Lounge." You'll recall that a couple of columns ago, I discussed the old Top of the World, which was located where the California Grill is now. If they keep this name, what a nice tip of the ears to Contemporary Resort history!

As to when this building may be announced, that's anyone's guess, but the Rumor Mill is saying it may be during a RUMORED multi-day press event in early October. You may or may not know that Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party on October 3, 2008, has been suddenly canceled. There is speculation that this is due to the possible press event at the Magic Kingdom that evening, where it is speculated that some announcements are to be made. These rumored announcements may include the BLT (or the Big Croissandwich as I like to all it) AKA Bay Lake Tower, a new attraction or two for WDW's 40th in 2011, or possibly even a park in Shanghai.

Keep in mind that October 1 is the start of the Walt Disney Company's fiscal year. Two of the Florida parks have opened on that day, and several celebrations have started on that date, so that, coupled with the cancellation of the MNSSHP on October 3, makes the press event rumor more credible. Still, ALL of the above information is strictly RUMOR, speculation, hearsay, etc. and nothing has yet been announced by the Walt Disney Co. As to when the BLT will open for DVC sales, that is also anyone's guess, but most DVC resorts do go on sale shortly after the official announcement. When that announcement will be, I do not know, but that building is getting pretty hard to hide! We shall have to wait and see.

I don't think that the Bay Lake Tower will have that much impact on the monorail, actually. For one thing, guests can easily walk back and forth to the Magic Kingdom and don't need to use the monorail. Many BLT guests using the monorail will either be transferring to the Epcot line at the TTC (first stop after the Contemporary) or else traveling along to the Poly or the Grand Floridian to dine. Also, keep in mind that there has been another resort planned along the monorail line since the early days -- it just hasn't been built until now. The location of that resort (the "Mediterranean") was very near the Contemporary as well. I'm sure that transportation capacity issues have been taken into consideration. Also, I've traveled the Resort line during the busiest weeks of the year and haven't had a problem, and the new, more open design of the trains allows more guests to ride in each car. I don't think it's anything to worry about.

Well, I've gone on long enough. Remember that much of what I just told you is RUMOR, and hasn't been verified by anyone at the Walt Disney Company.

A.A.

http://www.allearsnet.com/aa/anita.htm

Hi everyone! We're back from our first trip to the CR and we LOVED it! We had a lake view, perfect for us as we had the most fun renting a boat one day and parasailing another. It was so beautiful. If anyone is thinking maybe to either of those two activities, I say go for it. Well worth the money. They were both my DH's souvenirs this year. A little more than my pick-a-pearl, but memories for a lifetime!

On the last day we ate at Chef Mickey's and you guessed it - chosen as the housekeeping family of the day, so we all got towel animals and got to wave towels instead of napkins over our heads. Not exactly a night in the castle, but we were honored. We joked that they picked us because they saw my DS's bed and knew we needed some help from housekeeping!

All of your advice came in handy. Thanks again for the great prep you gave me. I've got tons of pics I hope to get up soon. Ask you if you have any questions!
It's great to you read that you and your family had a great time and congragulations on being selected as the housekeeping family of the day. I also can't wait to see your pictures.

The only question I have is how much work has been completed with the construction of Chef Mickey's Express?

Hey all! I was reading Anita Answer from AllEars, and she had posted some rumors about Bay Lake Tower (and other things) that I have not heard of. It is copied below (and the link after that) I can't wait until Disney finally announces this!

Jill writes:

Your column is addicting! We're not planning a trip to the World for another two years, yet I have to check here each week for the latest news. Thanks for giving me something to look forward to!

We are considering buying into the Disney Vacation Club (DVC), but are wondering what is going on with the rumored Contemporary tower -- is it or isn't it? When would you expect an announcement, and subsequent purchase availability? I would love to know what you think of adding what is certain to be a high capacity resort on a monorail system that seems to be running full as it is.

Hi Jill!

As you hinted, there has been some question as to whether or not this building is or is not a Disney Vacation Club resort. Recently, several requests were filed for food and beverage permits for the mysterious building's address. Those requests were made by Disney Vacation Club Management Corp., so I think that solves the mystery, don't you? Interestingly, one of the permits was for something called the "Top of the World Lounge." You'll recall that a couple of columns ago, I discussed the old Top of the World, which was located where the California Grill is now. If they keep this name, what a nice tip of the ears to Contemporary Resort history!

As to when this building may be announced, that's anyone's guess, but the Rumor Mill is saying it may be during a RUMORED multi-day press event in early October. You may or may not know that Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party on October 3, 2008, has been suddenly canceled. There is speculation that this is due to the possible press event at the Magic Kingdom that evening, where it is speculated that some announcements are to be made. These rumored announcements may include the BLT (or the Big Croissandwich as I like to all it) AKA Bay Lake Tower, a new attraction or two for WDW's 40th in 2011, or possibly even a park in Shanghai.

Keep in mind that October 1 is the start of the Walt Disney Company's fiscal year. Two of the Florida parks have opened on that day, and several celebrations have started on that date, so that, coupled with the cancellation of the MNSSHP on October 3, makes the press event rumor more credible. Still, ALL of the above information is strictly RUMOR, speculation, hearsay, etc. and nothing has yet been announced by the Walt Disney Co. As to when the BLT will open for DVC sales, that is also anyone's guess, but most DVC resorts do go on sale shortly after the official announcement. When that announcement will be, I do not know, but that building is getting pretty hard to hide! We shall have to wait and see.

I don't think that the Bay Lake Tower will have that much impact on the monorail, actually. For one thing, guests can easily walk back and forth to the Magic Kingdom and don't need to use the monorail. Many BLT guests using the monorail will either be transferring to the Epcot line at the TTC (first stop after the Contemporary) or else traveling along to the Poly or the Grand Floridian to dine. Also, keep in mind that there has been another resort planned along the monorail line since the early days -- it just hasn't been built until now. The location of that resort (the "Mediterranean") was very near the Contemporary as well. I'm sure that transportation capacity issues have been taken into consideration. Also, I've traveled the Resort line during the busiest weeks of the year and haven't had a problem, and the new, more open design of the trains allows more guests to ride in each car. I don't think it's anything to worry about.

Well, I've gone on long enough. Remember that much of what I just told you is RUMOR, and hasn't been verified by anyone at the Walt Disney Company.

A.A.

http://www.allearsnet.com/aa/anita.htm
Thanks for posting this.

We've stayed at many resorts except a deluxe. We have 3 kids and simply can not afford a deluxe yearly. This year we are just adding on 2 nights following a cruise and feel it is the perfect time to try one. I have booked a garden wing room mostly because of money. I have to admit, I felt like I was settling by booking CR rather than Poly, but after reading this entire thread over the last week, I am now convinced I NEED a MK view tower room. I still can not afford it unless I work extra and/or get a discount code. We are going in January and had no problem booking the room. Am I too late for a MK view? What if I change to a MK tower view now and decide later I can't afford it? Are garden wing rooms hard to get too? What are the chances of a discount being avail for a MK view?

We've stayed at many resorts except a deluxe. We have 3 kids and simply can not afford a deluxe yearly. This year we are just adding on 2 nights following a cruise and feel it is the perfect time to try one. I have booked a garden wing room mostly because of money. I have to admit, I felt like I was settling by booking CR rather than Poly, but after reading this entire thread over the last week, I am now convinced I NEED a MK view tower room. I still can not afford it unless I work extra and/or get a discount code. We are going in January and had no problem booking the room. Am I too late for a MK view? What if I change to a MK tower view now and decide later I can't afford it? Are garden wing rooms hard to get too? What are the chances of a discount being avail for a MK view?
If you try getting a Magic Kingdom View now and are told it's sold out, you could always keep trying since January is a while from now. I would say the Garden Wing rooms are hard to get if the Tower rooms are sold out, so guests still wanting to stay at the Contemporary would try for a room in that area. Plus with the North Garden Wing area gone that leaves the South Garden Wing area, so there are less rooms available in that category. I guess if you change to a Magic Kingdom View room and decide you can't afford it then hopefully you will be able to get another reservation in the Garden Wing. Finally when it comes to discounts you can always try to get one with AAA, or Annual Passes if you have them. After that I am not sure how else to get one.

Next month (August) is usually when the AAA rates become available. You might want to try calling CRO then to see what the rate will be for a MK tower room and decide then if it is affordable for you.

If not, there's absolutely nothing wrong with a garden wing room. The one we had was a little larger than the tower rooms (don't know if that's true of all the wing rooms) and it's very peaceful in the wing. If you're only there for 2 nights following a cruise, do you think you'll be spending much time in the room anyway? I'm thinking you might be spending a lot of time in the parks, unless your children are really young. If you do plan to spend time in the room with young children, you might prefer the garden wing's easy access to the pool and beach area for the kids. There are some advantages to being in the wing!
:beach:

Hello! We are eating at Chef Mickey's for dinner but taking a break in the room before we eat. We arrived Monday & enjoyed the great pool & slide. My kids fell in love w/ the slide! We ate dinner at the Poly's counter service that night which was a nice meal. After dinner, we headed back to the room to watch the fireworks.

Now, one of my biggest pet peeves is when people come on the DIS or in their normal everyday lives encounter a problem w/ service, etc. & complain to others when they have not first spoken w/ management, etc. Well, I sent a request to the housekeeping online & when it wasn't rec'd & I hadn't heard from anyone, I called & they never rec'd it. No big deal. But while I was on the phone I mentioned to them that we had checked in around 2pm & it was currently 7pm & there were food trays from room service up & down the hall to our room. I am not kidding, within 5 minutes someone had removed them. And within 15 minutes housekeeping brought us extra towels, etc.

Then that evening we had been noticing that our fridge was not working. Not a big deal but we had purchased milk & cheese & sandwich meat which was going to spoil. They had a new fridge for us w/in I guess 30 minutes.

And one other thing that we were dealing w/ was our neighbors. We were so excited to see the fireworks from our room when not five minutes after it began, someone from the room above us spit on DH. He passed it off as an accident as I think it was a preteen who was unsupervised & although I was upset I did not call or do anything until about 2 hours later when they were so loud that I finally called the front desk. It sounded like there were literally elephants stomping around. Again, I think it must have been young teenagers w/ no parents. That's all I could figure. We could tolerate it for a while but then it got ridiculous. So, someone went & spoke to them.

Other than those incidents & getting soaked at the MK yesterday...which was funny actually, it has all been great. Our kids were not in the best mood yesterday morning but when we went back in the evening after naps they had the best time. It was great.

Also, DS & I went to the family magic tour today at MK & it was wonderful. I highly recommend it! DD & DH went to Typhoon Lagoon & had fun as well.

And just to brag on the CR a bit more, I went through online concierge & asked about getting 20 or so bottles of lotions to give away at a church function in a few weeks & he directed me to housekeeping & in less than 10 minutes they were here w/ 20 bottles of everything. My jaw dropped to the floor!

Well, sorry for rambling on but I wanted to let you guys know that I am loving this place!! Will ask about CM Express tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter