The New and Updated Port Orleans Riverside FAQ Thread for 2008 --- NOW CLOSED

Status
Not open for further replies.
Room rates change by day of the week and by season, could that be the issue? What specfic dates are you talking about, as I can't see any dates during this coming year for which Rack Rates are as low as $179 for Preferred rooms (apart from a few weeks back in Value season, from 2 Jan - 16 Feb). I've got a Room Rates Page on my site if that helps.

I guess the WDW booking site holds the definitive prices though, no matter what any other pages may show.

[Edit: the pricing info on the official WDW web page for POR has a selector button near the top of the page to choose the Season which you wish to view - you did adjust that didn't you, as it defaults to Value Season?]

Andre

No I didn't change the selector to the proper season. When I changed it to Fall season weekend day it shot up to $199 so that is why I now owe $223.00. That makes more sense. I am glad I asked here before calling them and asking them.

We just had to change our ressie to POR. Ive never stayed there. How are the busses? Does anyone have a link to REAL pics..Ive seen a couple posts here with other hotels but Im not seeing POR. Any advice from those who have stayed would be greatly appreciated

We just had to change our ressie to POR. Ive never stayed there. How are the busses? Does anyone have a link to REAL pics..Ive seen a couple posts here with other hotels but Im not seeing POR. Any advice from those who have stayed would be greatly appreciated

Check out Andre's site portorleans.org. There are tons of pictures of everything at POR.

I was really hoping to be able to stay in Magnolia Terrace for our upcoming trip in August.....:sad1:I guess that's not going to happen since it is scheduled to be under refurbishment when we are there. OaK Manor would be our second choice although there seems to be a lot of designated smoking areas around the riverview rooms (which is the category that we reserved). Can anyone tell me if there is a strong smell of smoke outside of the Oak Manor rooms next to the river? I do like to spend some time out on the balcony/walkway area after the kids go to bed however I would be bothered by a strong smell of smoke. If it were to be an issue, I would request another building.

Anyone?

If there are a lot of designated smoking areas around the river view rooms I would think there will probably be quite a bit of smoke smell in the area. There are a lot of smoker still in 2011 and if the only place they can stand and smoke is next to your room that's what they are going to do. I would definitely not want a room anywhere near a DSA.

I was really hoping to be able to stay in Magnolia Terrace for our upcoming trip in August.....:sad1:I guess that's not going to happen. OaK Manor would be our second choice although there seems to be a lot of designated smoking areas around the riverview rooms (which is the category that we reserved). Can anyone tell me if there is a strong smell of smoke outside of the Oak Manor rooms next to the river? I do like to spend some time out on the balcony/walkway area after the kids go to bed however I would be bothered by a strong smell of smoke. If it were to be an issue, I would request another building.

http://allears.net/acc/portorleansmap.jpg

This is the link to the map with the designated smoking areas.

Out of all the mansions, Oak Manor definately has the most DSA's, followed by Parterre Place. On a windy day, you may smell the smoke along the river.

I would consider changing, unless you really wanted to be that close to the river.

http://allears.net/acc/portorleansmap.jpg

This is the link to the map with the designated smoking areas.

Out of all the mansions, Oak Manor definately has the most DSA's, followed by Parterre Place. On a windy day, you may smell the smoke along the river.

I would consider changing, unless you really wanted to be that close to the river.

I really do want a river view room. I am imagining sitting outside in the evening after the kids settle down and just watching the river go by.....pure peacefulness. Does anyone have any experience staying at Acadian House? Is it a long walk to the main buildings?

We are staying at POR for the very first time on our upcoming trip. I am so excited!!! We just changed our reservations from Pop Century to POR last night. My mom decided she wanted to join us on our trip, so we need a room that will fit 5 people.

I am having so much fun reading all of the information on this thread.

Does anybody know if my children can sit on my lap going down the water slide?

Happy planning everybody!!

We are staying at POR for the very first time on our upcoming trip. I am so excited!!! We just changed our reservations from Pop Century to POR last night. My mom decided she wanted to join us on our trip, so we need a room that will fit 5 people.

I am having so much fun reading all of the information on this thread.

Does anybody know if my children can sit on my lap going down the water slide?

Happy planning everybody!!

I saw someone ask this question of the Disney Moms Panel and they answered them that any age child can go down the slide or any adult but that each person has to go down alone. I don't know how well that is enforced or if they would say anything if you tried to double up. I am not sure how well manned the pools are. But that was the official answer from the moms panel.

I saw someone ask this question of the Disney Moms Panel and they answered them that any age child can go down the slide or any adult but that each person has to go down alone. I don't know how well that is enforced or if they would say anything if you tried to double up. I am not sure how well manned the pools are. But that was the official answer from the moms panel.

Thank you for your reply. My kids are good swimmers and old enough to go down alone, but they might just be a bit nervous the first time.

Thank you!

What she was referring to is the time of year she is going, one of the mansions may be completed and she was hoping to stay in the mansions and get the queen sized beds.

Exactly. I've been married too long to find the idea of a double bed charming!

What can anyone tell me about the laundry facilities? Since we have 5 people I expect to be stuck out in AB (though I really want a refurbed room and will ask for one.)

My experiences with Disney laundry have been wildly different, which is why I ask. Last year in the Grand Floridian the laundry was tiny (2 washers, 2 dryers, neither of which worked well) but earlier this month at CSR the laundry was huge and the dryers were very efficient so it was no big deal to do two quick loads halfway through the trip.

I've never done a Christmas trip, and I'm trying to think through packing...obviously we'll need sigificantly more clothes since we'll need long pants and coats. I'd love to know I can do laundry halfway through the trip, but I don't want to bank on it without knowing more about the laundry facilities.

Anyone?

What can anyone tell me about the laundry facilities? Since we have 5 people I expect to be stuck out in AB (though I really want a refurbed room and will ask for one.)

My experiences with Disney laundry have been wildly different, which is why I ask. Last year in the Grand Floridian the laundry was tiny (2 washers, 2 dryers, neither of which worked well) but earlier this month at CSR the laundry was huge and the dryers were very efficient so it was no big deal to do two quick loads halfway through the trip.

I've never done a Christmas trip, and I'm trying to think through packing...obviously we'll need significantly more clothes since we'll need long pants and coats. I'd love to know I can do laundry halfway through the trip, but I don't want to bank on it without knowing more about the laundry facilities.

Anyone?

I was curious about the laundry facilities too. Where are they? How much do they cost? We will be there for 10 days and there is no way I can pack 10 days worth of clothes for 5 ppl. I will need to do laundry halfway through our trip. DO they sell little boxes of laundry detergent on site or do you have to have your own with you? Is there a change machine or do you have to have your own quarters? Or can you get quarters changed in at the front desk for cash?

I was curious about the laundry facilities too. Where are they? How much do they cost?

$2 per load, same for dryers. Powder is available. There are machines to change notes into quarters in each room. There are plenty of decent sized locations at POR, one room next to each of the five quiet pools so you can have a nice swim while your laundry is getting washed. For more info see www.portorleans.org/services.php#Laundry.

POR-AB-2008-8164_forum.jpg

Andre

OaK Manor would be our second choice although there seems to be a lot of designated smoking areas around the riverview rooms (which is the category that we reserved.

In October we had a top floor room in Acadian House which directly overlooked the river and a smoking area, but we didn't once have any sort of problem with smoke - and we sat outside the room quite often.

I did notice a little bit of a smoke smell sometimes when we walked along the footpath (below) though, so I guess if you were on the ground floor and the wind was blowing your way it could be an issue.

POR-MB-2010b-0535_forum.jpg

Andre

Definitely one person at a time I'm afraid, and the life guards will enforce that.

Andre

Thanks. I am so excited to try this resort, you guys have so many wonderful things to say about POR. We are a family of 5, so I am guessing we will be in the AB section. We don't mind walking and don't care if we are closer to the pools or buses. Having said that, is there any part of the resort that I should request because I have younger children?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter