The New and Updated Port Orleans Riverside FAQ Thread for 2008 --- NOW CLOSED

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess I'm bumping this thread up a bit...DH and I just made reservations for a stay at POR from Jan. 25-Feb. 1, 2011! We're taking our first trip to WDW this December, so at this point we really have no idea what any of the resorts are like. The Dec. trip is the big one, so we splurged on a stay at YC. When I was looking at the resorts, though, POR seemed really beautiful. So, when we got an airfare discount code we couldn't resist, we booked a second vacation :) We're just doing the standard room, no king bed, no water view, no preferred. Since we don't have any expectation when it comes to building/room location, we will be happy with whatever we get.

Any tips for POR first-timers?

Take the boat to DTD - its a nice ride. Try the build your own salad and/or pasta in the food court. Walk around the resort - its beautiful.

Question about Fulton's General Store - how much do they have in the way of grocery items?

At the very least we'd like to have the following in our room:
half gallon of milk
half gallon of OJ
case of bottled water
dry cereal for kids and maybe for adults
cans of diet coke

And we might also like to have other breakefast foods like bagels with cream cheese, or Pop Tarts.

If Fulton's doesn't have most of these items, we'll opt for GardenGrocer.

Thanks for your help!

A bit of an update: POFQ rehab starts around now, as we already knew, followed by Riverside. Two buildings are to be done at a time, for speed. The rooms will be completely gutted and renovated (including replacing bath tubs, basins, etc). Flat screen TVs will be on dresser units, and the old Riverside tall armoires will be removed.

I also heard that the bedside tables will be made smaller (18" wide) to allow for... bigger beds! (Queens, I assume)

Andre

A bit of an update: POFQ rehab starts around now, as we already knew, followed by Riverside. Two buildings are to be done at a time, for speed. The rooms will be completely gutted and renovated (including replacing bath tubs, basins, etc). Flat screen TVs will be on dresser units, and the old Riverside tall armoires will be removed.

I also heard that the bedside tables will be made smaller (18" wide) to allow for... bigger beds! (Queens, I assume)

Andre

Thank you for the info!

I'd still be surprised if POR & POFQ get beds. I'd love to see it happen, but I think CSR has the queen beds because it's a convention resort. And now CSR charges more than the other values in part due to the fact it has queen beds. Time will tell.....and queen beds would be great!

Please keep us posted on the progress of the rehabs. Thanks, again!

It would be wonderful if the mods got queen beds. Disney must constantly hear this complaint, you think they would want to make their customers happy. They have completely priced us out of deluxes now, so now it comes down to offsite or mods, queen beds would be enough to keep us on-site.

We have stayed at Riverside a couple of times, but I need some help remembering. Do the benches in rooms provide additional storage? or just the armoire? I can't stand living out of suitcases even for a few days. I was thinking of bringing the kids days of the week clothing organizers to hang on the closet pole. They are about 12 inches wide. I'm thinking I should be able to fit 3 of them.

We have stayed at Riverside a couple of times, but I need some help remembering. Do the benches in rooms provide additional storage? or just the armoire? I can't stand living out of suitcases even for a few days. I was thinking of bringing the kids days of the week clothing organizers to hang on the closet pole. They are about 12 inches wide. I'm thinking I should be able to fit 3 of them.

The benches are open underneath. That is where I line up shoes or backpacks.

The armoire has two small drawers on top with three nice sized drawers. There is also a little "cubby hole" right under the TV that is not very high, but as long as the armoire and as deep.

The pole is about 6 feet long.

I stayed very comfortably with three girl friends a few years ago and had no problem.

I also take those pop-up laundry hampers and place them on the floor of the closet under the hanging clothes.

Andre

Andre, thanks for the information. Were you able to get any idea of when the rehabs should be done by? If they are doing 2 buildings at a time, I assume POFQ might be done by early spring and POR by ???? Curious as I think we may try POR next August :)

Thanks!

I guess I'm bumping this thread up a bit...DH and I just made reservations for a stay at POR from Jan. 25-Feb. 1, 2011! We're taking our first trip to WDW this December, so at this point we really have no idea what any of the resorts are like. The Dec. trip is the big one, so we splurged on a stay at YC. When I was looking at the resorts, though, POR seemed really beautiful. So, when we got an airfare discount code we couldn't resist, we booked a second vacation :) We're just doing the standard room, no king bed, no water view, no preferred. Since we don't have any expectation when it comes to building/room location, we will be happy with whatever we get.

Any tips for POR first-timers?

Well, I'm a POR first-timer too so I don't yet have any tips, but I did want to say (and please pardon me if you're already thinking of it) to consider getting APs when you get to the YC. It'll save you lots of money on the tickets. I also get the Tables in Wonderland card for 20% off most table service restaurants, including adult beverages at restaurants and resort bars. If you spend $375 in food and beverages, it'll pay for itself. And there are other AP discounts available.

Well, I'm a POR first-timer too so I don't yet have any tips, but I did want to say (and please pardon me if you're already thinking of it) to consider getting APs when you get to the YC. It'll save you lots of money on the tickets. I also get the Tables in Wonderland card for 20% off most table service restaurants, including adult beverages at restaurants and resort bars. If you spend $375 in food and beverages, it'll pay for itself. And there are other AP discounts available.

I will second the AP idea if you are taking 2 trips that close together. We had APs last year and just loved it...saved a bundle on tickets.

I really don't want to wash on vacation but if I need to wash a load where is it available and how much is it? I need to bring change enough for a couple of loads just in case. Thanks :)

Found the answer to laudry but not the charge back amount.

Is there a place to do my laundry?

A self-service laundry facility is located adjacent to each quiet pool, featuring coin-operated washers, dryers, and supply vending machines. Washing or drying costs $2 per load, and detergent for one load runs $1.00. After midnight, the laundry facility doors require a valid resort ID/room key card for entry.

Lots of Halloween stuff scheduled at the Port for tomorrow:

2pm-4pm Make Your Own Paper Bag Pumpkin (Riverside food court, probably at FQ too?).
12pm-5pm Candy Corn Guessing Contest, at Riverside Marina.
1pm-1.30pm Batty Bingo at both main pools.
1.30pm-2pm Disney Trivia at both main pools.
2pm-3pm Spooktacular Pool Party (both main pools).
2pm-3pm Decorate your own cup cake at the Riverside Marina.
3pm-4pm Creepy Cake Walk (both main pools).
4pm-5pm What's in Your Beach Bag (both main pools).
7pm-8.30 Monster Mash on the Green (FQ, on the lawn between buildings 4 and 5).
8.30pm Movie Under the Stars: Hocus Pocus (FQ, on the lawn between buildings 4 and 5 after the Monster Mash).

Andre

We will be staying at POR in Dec. :santa: When does the last boat leave for DTD? How late can we catch the boat back to POR from DTD? TIA :cool1:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter