The New and Updated Port Orleans Riverside FAQ Thread for 2008 --- NOW CLOSED

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yippee!

Someone just posted they were just at POR and they requested Magnolia Terrace, but it was closed for refurb!:thumbsup2

Let the refurbs begin!

Hi there! I'm super excited for our trip to WDW and stay at POR in just over 2 1/2 months! :cool1:
Question - does anybody know if Organic milk is sold at POR (or anyplace at the parks?)
Thanks all!!

Robin

As of last August, no. But I always get some stuff delivered from Wegoshop and that is one of the things I order.

Yippee!

Someone just posted they were just at POR and they requested Magnolia Terrace, but it was closed for refurb!:thumbsup2

Let the refurbs begin!

Thanks for the update! That's great news! I hope it's a total update with new paint, carpet, furniture and bedding.

Thanks for the update! That's great news! I hope it's a total update with new paint, carpet, furniture and bedding.

The building permit was pretty vague, but it did also include a refurb of the elevators as well. We will have to find out as people arrive.

Hopefully, something will be done by the time I get there and I can update everyone - but that is a while yet......

I will take pics, if someone hasn't already posted some by then!:thumbsup2 I have always managed to wind my way into a construction area, starting with, "I am a construction manager in Delaware...... and it pretty much goes from there.

The building permit was pretty vague, but it did also include a refurb of the elevators as well. We will have to find out as people arrive.

Hopefully, something will be done by the time I get there and I can update everyone - but that is a while yet......

I will take pics, if someone hasn't already posted some by then!:thumbsup2 I have always managed to wind my way into a construction area, starting with, "I am a construction manager in Delaware...... and it pretty much goes from there.

I'd love to have an update! Thanks!

It would make sense to work on the rooms while the buildings are closed due to lack of elevators, but time will tell how extensive the rehab is.

We will be staying at POR for our first time in October.
I will be needing a pack-n-play bed for the baby. Has this ever been an issue for anyone staying here?
There is no way we can function without one. We usually stay on DVC points and have one right in the room. We already have to bring along a stroller- having to check a pack-n-play would really add to our luggage!
I did request one on our reservation, but we all know that's not carved in stone!!
So- I guess I'm asking if anyone has had trouble getting a pack-n-play at POR before? If so, how was it resolved?
Thanks!
-Sarah

I'd love to have an update! Thanks!

It would make sense to work on the rooms while the buildings are closed due to lack of elevators, but time will tell how extensive the rehab is.

Actually, the building permits for the refurbs included the refurb for the elevators in one of the Mansion buildings. Several weeks later, they re-filed building permits for the three remaining buildings in the Mansions for the elevators. It must have been some kind of oversight. They didn't have to re-file building permits for AB, because they have no elevators.

So it makes sense to refurb the elevators while the buildings are closed - other way around.

I was looking at the proptery map at POR and there are cigarettes on some of the buildings to designate smoking rooms. Is the map just old? I was thinking that smoking had been banned in all of the guest rooms at WDW. Also, I'm going in October I'll check out the refurb situation.

I was looking at the proptery map at POR and there are cigarettes on some of the buildings to designate smoking rooms.

Those are not smoking buildings, they mark designated smoking locations only. The whole of the resort is non-smoking apart from those specific (outdoor) locations.

Andre

Let the refurbs begin!

Good news! Odd that it's Magnolia first though, as so far we've only heard of work permits for the guest rooms at Parterre Place, plus the elevators (only) at the other three mansions.

Andre

Hi All:

Heading down to WDW and staying at the POR (my 3rd stay) and I have 2 quick questions for the sports fanatics like myself. Has anyone gone to the lounge at the POR to watch a sporting event? And how was the experience?

I ask this because I posted in another thread about trying to find the best places to watch my Pats and B's on property while I'm down there? Then it occurred to me...

I'm not sure if I'll have (ahem) permission to go out to another locale to take in the experience. So if anyone has experience at the lounge, please let me know.

Also... If anyone has any experience with trying to get ahem permission from a spouse, boyfriend or girlfriend, any tips would be appreciated.

Thank you.

LOL!

Okay, well - my husband loves football, and I love gambling, so we do bond over fantasy football. That being said, I was NOT going to be watching any games over vacation.

Well....... we headed over to the Poly for dinner, and we were very early. We waited in the lounge, and it was GORGEOUS! So we sat back, had a few drinks, and there was a football game on - after a drink or two, with the beautiful surroundings and the big picture windows leading to the courtyard, I didn't mind that we were checking out a game during vacation!

I think you could definitely talk your wife into this - "do you want to check out the Poly? We can sit in the lounge, grab a couple of drinks, maybe get some sushi at the Sushi bar?"

;) Good luck!! :goodvibes

Good news about the beginning of the rehab. We love staying in the mansions and will definitely request a re-designed room for our trip in February.

We are checking into POR on Saturday so I will let you know what I find out. It's our first time there so we will definately be exploring.

We are going in February too. So, would like to stay in one of the new rooms if they are done then. Thanks for the info!

Good news! Odd that it's Magnolia first though, as so far we've only heard of work permits for the guest rooms at Parterre Place, plus the elevators (only) at the other three mansions.

Andre

So true! I went back and checked the permits again - the ones taken out on 6/15 only say Building no. 24 and Parterre Place.

However, and I am stretching it here, the ones taken out on 8/27 for all four buildings for the elevator permits, also have handwritten in "interior renovations." Is that referring to just the elevators (who would just update the interior of an elevator and not work on the controls, etc.) or does it include the guestroom renovations. The 6/15 permit specifically said "guestroom renovations."

Ah, there's the rub.:goodvibes

Subscribing :)

We'll be at WDW for 2 weeks around Thanksgiving and we're spending a few days at Riverside. It's a big family trip and we'll all be staying there together.

This thread totally helped us when making planning decisions, so thanks to everyone!

Has anyone ever had their children do the River Adventure at POR? We have our kids signed up for it for our trip at the end of November & was just wondering if anyone had any experience with it?? Thanks all!!
Robin

At POR this very moment in building 80 ( Acadian house mansion). Doesn't look like any of the mansions are closed down. There is construction on the road and the west depot bus station is closed down (looks like it's getting rebuilt) so guest are standing to the side of it. Will keep you updated if I notice more.

Can someone tell me which buildings are considered the preferred locations? I would like to stay close to the main building on the Mansion side for my next trip. I see there is an option to reserve preferred, water, river or standard views. I would really love preferred with river views but don't see that option.
The proximity to the main building is more inportant than the views.
Thanks for any help you can offer!
:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter