The New and Updated Port Orleans French Quarter FAQ Thread for 2008

Status
Not open for further replies.
J We joked that if there was another family who mirrored all of our moves but did so 3 minutes later, they'd go home and tell everyone what TERRIBLE bus service Polynesian had!

I second this. We spent 15 days at POFQ in October and never waited for a bus except on a handful of occasions leaving parks at closing when we opted to wait for a second bus because the first one was standing room only. Interestingly enough, when I got back I went to read reviews of other guests who stayed there at the same time as us. Well guess what the biggest complaints were? :rolleyes1 "I had to wait forever for every single bus ....."

Timing is everything

Yes, you want to avoid an 'interior corner' room as they are probably worse than a standard room. An exterior facing corner room will give you two windows though, as the OP suggested.

POR-Room-MB8571-2009-9320_forum.jpg

Andre

This pic confuses me. Look like the new wall color, curtains, and border but looks like the old bedspread and heating unit?

This pic confuses me. Look like the new wall color, curtains, and border but looks like the old bedspread and heating unit?

Sorry, that's a Magnolia Bend (POR) photo. I did say a while back that I found the new decor at POFQ was rather reminiscent of Magnolia Bend.

Andre

I noticed a thermostate on the wall. Did they get rid of the clunky old AC's ?

No, they still have the ACs located under the window, although they are now inside a wooden housing to match the rest of the decor. They're not especially old though, they were replaced around the whole resort a couple of years ago with newer models.

Andre

Thanks for the replies!

I now have another question... anyone know if they sell soy milk on the property?

I know they sold the individual-sized ones at AKL, but I didn't know if this was Disney-wide.

Thanks again!

I know someone already mentioned that they could find it at POR, but I just wanted to let you know that if you don't see it, ask for it. I'm not totally lactose intolerant, but I feel awful after drinking straight milk. We were at the Crystal Palace for breakfast and I really wanted some cereal, so I asked if they had soy milk and she brought out one of the individual sized ones. It doesn't hurt to ask! I've never *not* found it when I wanted it.

No, they still have the ACs located under the window, although they are now inside a wooden housing to match the rest of the decor. They're not especially old though, they were replaced around the whole resort a couple of years ago with newer models.

Andre

It has been a while since we were there and ours was rather clunky at the time and didn't operate well. Our room has some minor issues in the bathroom. So we figured we would give it a break and try pop. But that aside POFQ is still my :lovestruc. I think we are ready to go back.
Wish me luck when I call they still have rooms under our promo.

We requested a corner room for our trip last August thinking that all corner rooms had the two windows....WRONG! We did get the corner room we requested however it had only the one window and it was right next to the staircase and a building throughfare. Not a great location.....we could hear people going up and down the stairs all day and night! This wasn't exactly what I had in mind when I requested a corner room! I still loved our stay here and will be going back, hopefully next August, but I will be more careful with my room requests next time.
:scared1: Yikes! Good to know because I'm a light sleeper! :rotfl: It makes sense now that some of them would be on the corner near the stairwell! I think I'll leave well enough alone and just see where we end up - leave it to fate! :banana:

Yes, you want to avoid an 'interior corner' room as they are probably worse than a standard room. An exterior facing corner room will give you two windows though, as the OP suggested.

POR-Room-MB8571-2009-9320_forum.jpg

Andre

Thanks for the distinction and clarification! Exactly - we would want an exterior corner room, away from the stairwell! :thumbsup2

I appreciate all the help!
Heather

That was what I was expecting to happen (they seem to clear the buildings ready on Sundays, and start work on Mondays) but I've not seen confirmation yet.

Anyone there at the moment who can confirm it for us?

Andre

Anyone confirm building 4 yet? So far its building 6 & 7 are refurbed, right? We are going to POFQ Jan 26th :)

Debbie

We're staying at POFQ 6/12 - 6/18. Are all the refurbs scheduled to be completed by then? Thanks! Can't wait!

We're staying at POFQ 6/12 - 6/18. Are all the refurbs scheduled to be completed by then? Thanks! Can't wait!

Word is the POFQ rehabs are to be finished by the end of April, then they are to start over at PORS.

Just booked POFQ for a trip this November. Got a PIN code for 35% for all of our trip except the first night, so I am definately happy. Not that much more than my trip last year considering I am adding an extra night at the hotel.
Yippee

Yeah finally got around to booking POFQ for our next trip. Glad to be going back! I think once the girls are a little older we will do Riverside. But for know the love the slide at POFQ. We are on the QSDP so know since we have more TS meals available being closer to DTD thinking of upgrading that also.

We just returned last night from 6 nights. I had requested building 6, and, upon checkin, was issued building 5. I asked if there was any way at all to get a room in 6 (I asked VERY nicely). I got upgraded to a riverview room for free. First floor room 6137. It was PERFECT! I couldn't have asked for a better location. The room was beautiful. The toilet flushing at night was loud, but there was no noise at all other than that. No kids running around. No noise at all.

Building 4 looked to be about halfway done. Some rooms were all the way up to beds and mattresses while others were gutted. The construction crew was nice enough to leave the windows open and the lights on at night for us to peak.

The pool was very nice, but we only spent about 1 hour total there.

Buses were fantastic. I don't know why, but there was never, at any point in our trip, a wheelchair or ECV. 3 strollers total, and I bet we took 20 busses at least. We only went to Riverside 2 times. We had to wait 20 minutes at Epcot one time, and every other bus was either immediate or within 5 minutes. We only stood once. Of course, we left the parks right before fireworks in order to make this work.

I don't think I will ever stay anywhere else on property. I loved everything about this resort. The boat, the busses, the themeing, the crowds. The food court masks were a little freaky, but I can handle that.

We just returned last night from 6 nights. I had requested building 6, and, upon checkin, was issued building 5. I asked if there was any way at all to get a room in 6 (I asked VERY nicely). I got upgraded to a riverview room for free. First floor room 6137. It was PERFECT! I couldn't have asked for a better location. The room was beautiful. The toilet flushing at night was loud, but there was no noise at all other than that. No kids running around. No noise at all.

Building 4 looked to be about halfway done. Some rooms were all the way up to beds and mattresses while others were gutted. The construction crew was nice enough to leave the windows open and the lights on at night for us to peak.

The pool was very nice, but we only spent about 1 hour total there.

Buses were fantastic. I don't know why, but there was never, at any point in our trip, a wheelchair or ECV. 3 strollers total, and I bet we took 20 busses at least. We only went to Riverside 2 times. We had to wait 20 minutes at Epcot one time, and every other bus was either immediate or within 5 minutes. We only stood once. Of course, we left the parks right before fireworks in order to make this work.

I don't think I will ever stay anywhere else on property. I loved everything about this resort. The boat, the busses, the themeing, the crowds. The food court masks were a little freaky, but I can handle that.

So glad you had such a nice trip. FQ is pretty special. We stayed there just ebfore the last refurb -It was our second stay in a moderate (we'd been going since '81 and mod prices were looking awfully good by 2001!). On that first stay I was not crazy about the rooms (very, very dark), but found out they were due for a refurb, so we went back right after the refurb and LOVED it -then a couple of more stays after that one. Thinking the current refurb will have me visiting soon.:thumbsup2

Welcome back and thanks for the review! Great room location!!:goodvibes

Just jumped over here to see if there was any new rehab news---guess not:confused3
I didn't put in a building request for our March stay-just thought we'd let the Mouse decide. Odds are-for late March we'll get a refurbed room.:thumbsup2

Our family is returning to POFQ Feb. 22-27. We are so excited!! Subscribed to portorleans.org feed and found a wealth of info. as well. Initially, (April 2007) we had stayed in Bldg. 4 in a corner room on the second floor overlooking a walkway and a beautiful courtyard (kids kicked the soccer ball around first thing in the morning when it was cool). It was our first time and really just loved the intimate feel of the resort.

Stayed again in Bldg. 3 in two rooms in August 2008, but it wasn't the same. Perhaps it was hurricane Fay which literally may have dampened our spirits or that fact that we had two rooms.

The kids really enjoyed Scat Cats as they all play instruments and he was "cool." Really engaged the guests!

Boat transportation is great to DTD and definitely adds to the location's ambiance. May take 15-20 minutes--worth it! Also, rent the water mouse at Riverside and investigate the waterways. We think it's a better location than the Seven Seas lagoon for that activity!

We loved the decor as it is so garish and definitely Disney.

Requested bldg. 4 when we spoke with Blaire (CM) and she even sent an email to confirm our request. Fingers crossed we get a refurbished room. Queen beds are definitely more comfortable after a long day!

Any more info. on the refurbished rooms?? TIA :goodvibes:goodvibes

When will the rehab be completed?

It's supposed to be finished in April.

As an aside....I remember seeing concept art of themed Haunted Mansion and Princess rooms (similar to the Pirate rooms at CBR) for POFQ and POR and haven't heard anything about these themed rooms being made a reality. Has the themed room idea been scrapped for POFQ and POR?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter