The New and Updated Port Orleans French Quarter FAQ Thread for 2008

Status
Not open for further replies.
Downtown Disney is pretty close to POFQ but not really walking distance. You can either take the boat or a bus and it's not a bad trip. The weather in November can really vary. You could have warm temps or record cold (like Nov 09). Just make sure to check the weather a few days before you leave.

We rented from Alamo at the Car Care Center last May, only needed it for one day and it was about $25. They picked us up in the shuttle and when DH returned the car the next day they brought him back in the shuttle. Easy and quick.

go with this. There is a lot of competition in the Orlando area so prices are usually very reasonable. My experience with the airport locations has been abysmal. Too often they don't have the right car or a car at all for our reservation. (As Seinfeld asked, do you know what reservation means.) Plus you'll pay airport access charges on airport but they don't apply at the car care center.

I am sure the answer to my question is here somewhere...but I somehow missed it...is there a refridge in the room?

Thanks!

I wish it was August. But then again that would mean winter is right around the corner and where I come from the winter can be brutal...
Bonniehttp://www.wdwinfo.com/images/smilies/yay.gif

We returned from an 8 night stay at POFQ on June 2. Once again it was a wonderful visit. Here's a review of our stay. If you’re interested I'm working on a full blown TR with pictures and will post when I get a bit more organized.

I booked for 8 nights in a standard room with no additional requests. Ten days out I used online check in and added the request of a ground floor room. We arrived at WDW approximately 12:30 p.m. on May 25. e had a rental car and I parked in the front while I went to check in. A friendly bell man greeted us at the front door and held the door open. I walked right in and went to the easily marked area for online check in. There were two people working online check in, two people working traditional check in and two people at concierge. All people working had people with them but there was no one else waiting in any of the lines.

After about 2-3 minutes I was called to the desk by a lovely lady whose name now escapes me. My room check in package was ready along with my room keys, parking pass and other materials. The other bonus was that our room was ready! We were giving 3116 (I think).

Our room was located in building three, on the ground floor (yeah!). Building three is one over from the main building. Think of it this way, if you are standing in front of the main building, it is to the right. Because the buildings are T shaped we were around the corner between the main building and the parking lot. This was great news since we had a rental car too. Our room also looked out on to a fountain which was lovely. I have some pictures but have not uploaded them yet. I'll try to get it done tonight.

Our room was clean, cool and comfortable. We had no broken furniture, appliances, etc. Throughout our stay the room was cleaned well by housekeeping. For no apparent reason, a few days into our trip they changed out our shower curtain liner. I thought this was nice since it didn't appear to have any wear or mold on it. I think they just must have done it as part of regular maintenance. So I give good marks to the housekeeping crew.

The one thing we didn't like was related to the mini-fridge. They put the fridge inside a wood cabinet so you don't have to feel like you're in a dorm. But the door to the cabinet opened to the left and the door to the fridge opened to the right. Whenever we'd go to get something out of the fridge we felt like we were opening up a Chinese puzzle to get what we needed. It was stupid but certainly not something to get grumpy about.

For the first several days of our stay we received phone messages alerting us to scheduled maintenance that was supposed to be taking place on the exterior of the resort. However, we didn't observe any maintenance taking place on any of those days. So either they were discreet or we were oblivious.

The location for POFQ couldn't be better for anyone driving. Although we have stayed here several times in the past this was the first time we had a car. What a great location! Everything was a short drive away regardless of the direction. We loved it. Unfortunately those of you who are looking for bus advice… we don't have any. We didn't take the bus once.

The pool was great and the life guards tolerant and good natured. I hope they are getting paid a lot because some guests are just horrible. We used the pool several times and never thought it was over populated even though there were a good number of people there. We like that the lounge chairs are everywhere and you can find some shade easily if you are interested. There is also a bit to do between the waterfall, slide and open swim areas. It’s very well designed and easy to enjoy.

The food court was good and we visited several times. Personally I don't think anyone there was thrilled to be working there but at least they weren't rude. They did their jobs and sent us on our way. We had beignets 3-4 times on the trip and each time they were made fresh. We also had breakfast and lunch on more than one occasion. The food was hot and tasted fine but it does seem like it takes a long time to prepare. The cast members don't seem like they try to get people in and out - they just give you your food when it's ready with no sense of urgency. We ate inside, outside and off the main dining hall - all locations were great.

We did go down and visit POR one time for our daughter to participate in the Pirate Adventure. It was nice to see the other resort and my daughter had a great time doing this. If you have a little one that's interested in doing this we can highly recommend it and actually feel like it was a bit of a deal. We did not participate in any other activities at POR or POFQ.

The gift shop staff was polite and easy to deal with. We had several packages delivered on different days of our stay and they were efficient in retrieving them and getting us in and out. Although not the largest gift shop, they had a good variety of things from food, hygiene products, souvenirs and my new personal favorite - Vinylmation.

So, I think that’s it. If you have any questions let me know. I’ll do my best to add some pictures soon.

What floor is best to request not to hear noise ?

We will have a standard room booked at POFQ - we do not need a view of the pool.

I know the outside doors are very good in blocking the outside room - but how is the insulation between the floors.

I think a 1st floor room would be a great convience - but should we request a 3rd floor room to avoid noise from a room above us ?

Any building better than other buildings for a quiet nights sleep ?

do most families with children under 8 request the buildings near the pool ?

We just got back and were in building three. I've also stayed in buildings 4 and 5 in the past. To be honest, none of the times I've stayed have I had a problem with noise. My husband and I commented this past trip at how quiet it was even though we had a ground floor room. I don't know if its older construction so the walls were thicker or what the key is.

I think as long as you don'thave a pool view room it will be relatively quiet. What's interesting about POFQ is that because it's modeled like the French Quarter it has all these little "streets" running everywhere. What happens is that people tend to walk out of the rooms and go right into the streets when they go from place to place rather than walk down the exterior hallways to get places. I think that might be why you don't have the people traffic like you do at other resorts.

I think if you are a light sleeper and are concerned with the potential of hearing noise above you, making a third floor request isn't a bad idea. I think asking for a standard room will get you far enough away from the pool area that you should be safe from that sort of noise too.

I was at POFQ in building 3, in room 3202, from May 20 to June 1,and had no problem with any noise. I also found it very convenient location wise, as I found it was close to laundry, dining and transportation. The staff were extremely friendly and helpful. I got the occasional grumpy staff member and one extremely snappy one but otherwise, they were all brilliant.

My room was cleaned throughly everyday. No complaints about mouse keeping from me. The towels etc were replaced frequently. I had to use bell services for laundry, as I had a pile of laundry and reservations to get to, and they were also extremely professional and courteous every time.

I took the bus every day. The longest I had to wait was 15 minutes one morning, the shortest wait I had was about 10 seconds. Most mornings, I was waiting a maximum of three minutes. Sometimes, two buses for one park would pull up at the same time. Going straight from the hotel to the parks, the travel time was minimal. Roughly 8 to 15 minutes, including traffic lights (this is what happens when you travel by yourself - you time things! :D). With the stops to POR, about 25 - 29 minutes with traffic lights and turning wait times.

I enjoyed the food, but I have to agree with others that it seemed as if it did take sometime to prepare. Everything was hot when I received it and was flavourful. There was also many options for me to choose from, as I have severe food allergies. The chef came out to talk to me as well.

What floor is best to request not to hear noise ?

We will have a standard room booked at POFQ - we do not need a view of the pool.

I know the outside doors are very good in blocking the outside room - but how is the insulation between the floors.

I think a 1st floor room would be a great convience - but should we request a 3rd floor room to avoid noise from a room above us ?

Any building better than other buildings for a quiet nights sleep ?

do most families with children under 8 request the buildings near the pool ?

On my last stay there I was in building 3 on the 3rd floor near the fountain between buildings 1, 2 and 3. I always request top floor no matter what resort I'm at. That way I don't have to worry about noise overhead. I'm such a light sleeper. Building 4 is closest to the bus stop and food court. I was also in building 1 with a water view, but I wouldn't pay for that again. If you want to be near the pool but not have to worry about the noise, I'd choose the back side of building 2 or 5. My personal favorite would be 2 because I love the fountain at POFQ. It's also closer to the boat too.

This was my first time staying at POFQ and we loved it!

We were in room 4225 which is right around the corner from the restaurant so that made it very convenient to refill our mugs. Very close to the parking and bus stop but still very tree covered so you don't feel like you are looking at the parking lot. It was also very close to the laundry and pool. I don't think we could have asked for a better location.

We did have to request a new fridge b/c ours wasn't working. So they came and changed it out and left the old one sitting in the middle of the floor and never came back to get it so we just sat it outside our door and finally someone took it away.

The only other things that I didn't like were it has the wall unit ac instead of the central AC like the newer hotels. And one night my child woke up in the middle of the night puking and we needed new sheets and towels. I called housekeeping and they said they would bring them up. I waited 30 mins and no one came and I was desperate for towels to clean him up b/c we had already used all the ones in the room. So I went to the front desk to just get some for myself and he said I would just have to wait for another hour before they could bring them. I told him how desperate we were for them and he said there was nothing he could do. So I just went and got a bunch of towels from the pool to make do until they brought them. They did come in about an hour.

But the grounds were beautiful and my boys loved the pool. We also used the pool at riverside and my oldest like the slide better there but often it was a longer wait. We drove a lot so I am not sure about the bus service but the few times we rode the bus it came pretty quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter