The new AKV...If considering, what might change your mind?

diznyfanatic

Officially a Moosehead
Just curious for those that are considering a purchase at AKV and anxiously awaiting the official DVC detail announcement, is there anything that they might announce that would be a deal breaker for you and cause you to not purchase?

An example might be you've established a threshold for point cost at $95 after any incentives and anything more than that would be an absolute deal breaker for you.

So what, if any, are your absolute deal breakers for purchasing at AKV?

Conversely, if you had already rejected the idea of purchasing at AKV, what might they announce they would absolutely make you reconsider a purchase?

An example might be that AKV will offer another SAB type main pool (not likely, I know). :)

One thing that would make me change my mind about buying would be the point cost per night. The hottest rumor is that the villas will be larger to hold more people (i.e. 5 in a studio or one-bedroom), and the point cost per night would go up appropriately.

Now I'm not considering buying AKV, but if I were that would be a deal breaker for me.

I'm waiting to find out about points per night, on-site dining, views and bus transportation.

If I were considering buying, all the negative posts that will inevitably show up on the DIS as part of the hazing that apparently strikes the newest DVC :rolleyes:

I would like to buy a small contract at AKL.

What would stop me... (and I guess the converse. These would actually encourge me to buy)

- rooms smaller than BCV. Actually I would like the living/dining room to be bigger with a real dining table that would seat 6.

-If there were no special room catagories. I think there will have to be a few different view/room catagories to cover savannah/non-savannah(pool and standard?), lodge/villas. If not why own there?

-Of course if the price/MF's were really high. I don't know what really high is to me. I guess I'll know it when I see it :eek:

-Pool/rec features. It's been rumored a nice pool and other recreational activities. If these don't actually materalize it would squish my desire to own there.

I would only consider staying there if I was guaranteed a savannah view room, I would be willing to pay extra points over standard view.

...depends on the thermostat

If AKL truly isn't easily accessible from AKV, that would be a deal breaker for me. I don't think we're buying anyway, but that would keep me from even wanting to book there at 7 months.

I also agree that if some rooms are savannah view and some not, I would never buy there without a guaranteed view like BWV does with the Preferred View Boardwalk.

I plan on purchsing at AKV (Love AKL), but the deal breaker would be high points per night, and no savannah view. As much as I want to own there, I don't want to use a premium number of points each night. I wish we could get some concrete information on AKV!

I said from the 1st time we stayed at AKL back in 2003 that we'd be the first in line if a DVC opened there (membership was not even close to the radar at that point, it was a non-issue, we love AKL) The minute I heard AKV was coming online, DVC was a HUGE blip on the radar and we wound up buying, just so we can add on at AKV.

The only thing I can see being a deal breaker for us would be maintenance fees that I felt were beyond what I'm comfortable paying for the rest of my life (or handing to my kids)

The waiting is killing me. :headache:

Convenience to the main lodge, point structure, point cost, and maintenance fees will all be issues.

For me, it will depend mostly on the size of the resort. If it's large enough, getting in at 7 months may not be much of a problem. In that case, I won't even consider buying.

If there were a limited number of "special view" rooms, I'll probably rent points to see if I think the view is special enough to warrant an add on. But if the point charts are significantly higher than the VWL, BCV & PV at BWV, I'd probably just run over to try the new sit down restaurant and see the place - no stay & no purchase.

I am a bit troubled by the fact that the DVC building will not be connected to the AKL. Read somewhere (I think maybe Sammie posted?) that the powers that be were worried about the facilities of the AKL being "overwhelmed". That is why the DVC building will have its own restaurant, pool, check in, etc. Wondering how the DVC rooms in the lodge itself will fit in the overall scheme. Will it share buses with the AKL? Will there be a walking path between the AKL & AKV? between the AKV and the AK? Guess we'll just have to wait and see.

The big deal breaker is VIEW. I am worried about not getting a Savannah view. I pay for the view at AKL when I stay there and will be willing to pay for points for a view, but I will not be happy with a parking lot or pool view! (Note; I don't care where they put me at ANY other DVC resort so I am not normally a view person, but IMHO the WHOLE point of AKL is the animals so you need to be able to SEE them LOL!)

The decision is still out on this one for us. Hubby and I have tossed around a small add-on, enough to bank borrow for every 3rd year.

2 deal breakers for me would be

1 - (and most important) are the dues, even with a small contract if they are to far out of line then forget it.
2 - View and point charts charts are kind of tied. Point charts would mean more points which would mean more dues (see number 1) and view. I wouldn't want a crappy parking lot view.

1) annoucement of the CRV;)

on the fence, especially since we've never even visited it, let alone stayed there...a bit off the beaten path for us.

2) dues/maintenance issues

*would like to know what happens if expensive animals would need to replaced for some reason; big variable imo; as in afraid of getting "socked" in any given year for freak occurances.

*How will they determine animal cost/savanna upkeep, etc. proratings between the lodge & villas? It would be nice to see the current costs @ the lodge before committing.

Thanks for the responses everyone, I've enjoyed reading them all so keep them coming!

Aside from the obvious associated costs (purchase price, point costs and dues), I think the next deal breaker for us will be if the Villas are truly not a walkable distance from the Lodge.

Our favorite restaurants are located inside the Lodge and we enjoy many of the unique activities offered at the Main Lodge. We were planning on making the Lodge as big, or bigger, part of our DVC stay as the Parks and if access from the Villas is going to be an issue, that will probably be a deal breaker for us.

...is there anything that they might announce that would be a deal breaker for you and cause you to not purchase?...
Well, if they don't clean the DVC savannah until the eighth day of your stay...

You know what though, if we each got a commemorative rake and some boots it probably wouldn't be that bad.

Price per point and dedicated view are concerns, but so are maintenance fees dealing with animal caretaking. Feeding, veterinary care, acquiring the animals, landscaping... That can't be cheap...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter