The New 2008 Beach Club and Yacht Club FAQs thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
We will be at the Beach Club July 7-15. We are trying to decide if we have a large enough order to justify using Garden Grocer. Can you buy a loaf of bread at the sundries shop at the Beach club? And if you can, how much is it? TIA

I agree with BCV23's response.:thumbsup2 Just to let you know, we ordered several cases of bottled water from GG in April. Considering a case of water is about the price of 2-3 bottles in the park, it was well worth it for us to use GG, even with the $12 shipping fee. Once we "saved" money using GG for the water, I did add on a bunch of other items, since we were already paying for the shipping anyway. Thought that might help.:)

Never noticed pagers at Mara several weeks ago, but I don't think it ever got super busy when we went. Awesome grilled chicken caesar salads though. :)

DW did notice that they seemed to have some sort of tabs that related to what you ordered, which she thought they were supposed to give you but never did - again, perhaps because it wasn't busy enough. Sounds like it may have been something like what York's Steak House used to do in the 70s - cafeteria style service where you got a number on a plastic stand based on your entree order that you put on your tray and waited - I didn't see it though.

The new process probably started right after your stay. I would say it's been about 3 weeks. It's funny because my son is in the college program and they keep pulling him from other assignments to "run" the new system because he was so good at doing it. The other night during the rainfest, they were so busy at the Mara that they ran out of pagers!

In regards to to CS places and the pagers. I understand that its fairly new. But the pagers werent the issue. It was the lady shuffling the orders to the back. People that ordered 30 minutes after me were getting their cheeseburgers before me LOL. It in no way ruined my trip, I was just annoyed at the time.

On to the issues at the Poly. It all started with the snide comments from a castmember. DH and I were in the lobby waiting for our pizza delivery. When he arrived I was chatting with him and asked him how he was liking the rain. I wasnt complaining, just making conversation. There were 2 women behind the desk and one of them said "If I have to hear one more tourist complaining about the weather Im going to scream" And the other one looked at me and said "You could just make the most of it ya know" I was thought, whatever, theyre cranky. My DH however was a little ticked. Not really the end of the world, just annoying. Then that same night we went up to do laundry. 3 times the same guy in a gold cart sped by us and 3 times he drenched us driving through all the standing water that was pooling on the sidewalks. Ok, how about slowing down just a little when going by people walking. Once again, just annoying. On Wednesday evening we called housekeeping for some towels, since we were dripping wet from the rain. She shows up and proceeds to lecture me about how we have gone through enough towels for 5 familys and that we need to learn to reuse them. Now that ticked me off.

We decided that night that we would go up and try and switch resorts the next morning. So on Thursday morning we went down and talked to the girl at the desk. We told her that we wanted to switch and that we needed either 2 adjoining rooms at a mod or a room or a suite at another deluxe. She calls CSR and they could only get us in 2 rooms on 2 different floors, so that wouldnt work. She says "Well theres not anything available on property, so I cant help you." I asked her how she could say that when the only place she called was CSR. She didnt even respond, just turned around and told the guy behind her that she wasnt dealing with us. Ok. Now Im getting more than ticked. We asked him to call YC/BC. They had the rooms that we needed, thank goodness. He tells us that the reservations are made, that we could call bell services to transfer our bags and then to let them know when we are leaving so the could close out our account. My DH said that we wanted to go ahead and check out and to close the account. He asked if we had a CC on file and said he would close it out for us. We then left, got packed, called bell services and after they got the bags left for the MK.

When we got to YC, they had no idea what we were talking about. No reservations had been made. So Sandra finally got us checked in, our dining credits transferred, keys made etc. But when she went to charge our balance for the rooms the CC was declined. She looked in her computer and lo and behold the Poly hadnt closed us out. And they were going to charge us for that night because we hadnt checked out. Wrong answer. Thats when she got the manager involved. They gave us our room keys so we could take the kids up and then we went back down to figure out the issues. When we got back down they had got into the system, closed our account with Poly and got us all fixed up. Funny thing is, our luggage made it without any issues!

So anyway, it was nothing vacation busting. Just some annoying things that escalated. Im sure it can happen anywhere.

ksjayhawkfan -- thanks for telling us the story. I don't blame you one bit for being upset at how you were treated at the Poly.:sad2: Like I said before, I am so glad you moved to the YC and had a fantastic time there. Your Poly experience just sounds awful -- maybe the CMs are getting cranky because of the weather, too, but that is NO excuse for bad customer service. And to not check you out, or get you your new reservations, and then to send your luggage there is beyond belief. I hope there will be some retraining from all of this.:sad2:

When we stayed at the Poly, we were in the Hawaii bldg, so I didn't end up speaking with any of the CMs in the lobby. The concierge CMs were very nice to us.

With the torrential downpour, it must have been so nice to move into a hotel that is all one building, too. No more dealing with the weather on your way to your room.:) We loved strolling around the gardens in April, but the weather was perfect. For our summer trip, I've booked us at 3 resorts that are all under one roof, just in case it's too hot or too wet to be running all over the place.

It's great that you were able to move and "rescue" your vacation!:thumbsup2

Just came back also. we had a very good experince at Hanna's on both Saturday and Sunday. We were given pagers and our food came out about 10 minutes later. I much prefer waiting for a freshly cooked burger and fries than getting quick service of food that's been sitting under a heat lamp. Oh and BTW the chicken flatbread with the cucumber sauce is to die for.

In regards to to CS places and the pagers. I understand that its fairly new. But the pagers werent the issue. It was the lady shuffling the orders to the back. People that ordered 30 minutes after me were getting their cheeseburgers before me LOL. It in no way ruined my trip, I was just annoyed at the time.

On to the issues at the Poly. It all started with the snide comments from a castmember. DH and I were in the lobby waiting for our pizza delivery. When he arrived I was chatting with him and asked him how he was liking the rain. I wasnt complaining, just making conversation. There were 2 women behind the desk and one of them said "If I have to hear one more tourist complaining about the weather Im going to scream" And the other one looked at me and said "You could just make the most of it ya know" I was thought, whatever, theyre cranky. My DH however was a little ticked. Not really the end of the world, just annoying. Then that same night we went up to do laundry. 3 times the same guy in a gold cart sped by us and 3 times he drenched us driving through all the standing water that was pooling on the sidewalks. Ok, how about slowing down just a little when going by people walking. Once again, just annoying. On Wednesday evening we called housekeeping for some towels, since we were dripping wet from the rain. She shows up and proceeds to lecture me about how we have gone through enough towels for 5 familys and that we need to learn to reuse them. Now that ticked me off.

We decided that night that we would go up and try and switch resorts the next morning. So on Thursday morning we went down and talked to the girl at the desk. We told her that we wanted to switch and that we needed either 2 adjoining rooms at a mod or a room or a suite at another deluxe. She calls CSR and they could only get us in 2 rooms on 2 different floors, so that wouldnt work. She says "Well theres not anything available on property, so I cant help you." I asked her how she could say that when the only place she called was CSR. She didnt even respond, just turned around and told the guy behind her that she wasnt dealing with us. Ok. Now Im getting more than ticked. We asked him to call YC/BC. They had the rooms that we needed, thank goodness. He tells us that the reservations are made, that we could call bell services to transfer our bags and then to let them know when we are leaving so the could close out our account. My DH said that we wanted to go ahead and check out and to close the account. He asked if we had a CC on file and said he would close it out for us. We then left, got packed, called bell services and after they got the bags left for the MK.

When we got to YC, they had no idea what we were talking about. No reservations had been made. So Sandra finally got us checked in, our dining credits transferred, keys made etc. But when she went to charge our balance for the rooms the CC was declined. She looked in her computer and lo and behold the Poly hadnt closed us out. And they were going to charge us for that night because we hadnt checked out. Wrong answer. Thats when she got the manager involved. They gave us our room keys so we could take the kids up and then we went back down to figure out the issues. When we got back down they had got into the system, closed our account with Poly and got us all fixed up. Funny thing is, our luggage made it without any issues!

So anyway, it was nothing vacation busting. Just some annoying things that escalated. Im sure it can happen anywhere.
I know it can be painful to rehash negative experiences:scared: - we've all been disappointed at some moment (or two) on a vacation. The lesson, I suppose, is to do what you and your family need to make an uncomfortable situation better (and don't give up;)) and then move on and enjoy the rest of your vacation::yes::.

Thanks for sharing your story with us.

Just came back also. we had a very good experince at Hanna's on both Saturday and Sunday. We were given pagers and our food came out about 10 minutes later. I much prefer waiting for a freshly cooked burger and fries than getting quick service of food that's been sitting under a heat lamp. Oh and BTW the chicken flatbread with the cucumber sauce is to die for.

ITA. But it had nothing to do with waiting for something freshly cooked. I have no issue waiting. But waiting 45 plus minutes for 2 cheeseburgers and 2 turkey sandwiches is not ok. At one point the lady was just standing there looking at all the food piling up under the lamps. One guy was waiting for a hot dog, for 45 minutes. :confused3

I'm sure this has been addressed before...but for those of you who have stayed at the BC and the YC, which do you prefer and why. I planned to stay at the YC the first time we picked that area, but it was full and they put us at BC...we were hooked and have only strayed once! We went to the Poly in Jan, but I wish we would have been over here!! Dh is tempted to do the cont again since the renovations to the rooms ,but I am not sure. I really like the convenience to Epcot. Anyway, why do you prefer one over the other? TIA!!:flower3:

Anybody???:confused3
We were at the Poly in Jan--I was a little disappointed with how long it took us to check in. FOREVER. I could not believe how long it took!!!! We have been to disney lots of times, and both times at the Poly it took an eternity to get in. We had made requests, and when I got up to the desk, the guy told me where we were and showed me on the map---totally opposite of everything we asked for. I know it's not a guarantee, but geez!!! Anyway, I said, well, this is what we wanted, do you have anything close to what I asked for? He got on the phone and said, "OH, Okay" he hangs up and tells me, sorry, they did have you in the building you asked for and the floor you requested. I don't know why he didn't or couldn't pull that up right off the bat, but at least we got it. If I hadn't been so disappointed, I probably wouldnt have said anything, and my room was waiting for me the whole time!!!!

We were at the Poly in Jan--I was a little disappointed with how long it took us to check in. FOREVER. I could not believe how long it took!!!! We have been to disney lots of times, and both times at the Poly it took an eternity to get in. We had made requests, and when I got up to the desk, the guy told me where we were and showed me on the map---totally opposite of everything we asked for. I know it's not a guarantee, but geez!!! Anyway, I said, well, this is what we wanted, do you have anything close to what I asked for? He got on the phone and said, "OH, Okay" he hangs up and tells me, sorry, they did have you in the building you asked for and the floor you requested. I don't know why he didn't or couldn't pull that up right off the bat, but at least we got it. If I hadn't been so disappointed, I probably wouldnt have said anything, and my room was waiting for me the whole time!!!!

They are essentially one resort. The theming of the yacht club is slightly more serious. My DW called it "more elegant" so we stayed there. We were far away from the Marketplace. We bought refillable mugs but often couldn't use them unless we walked all the way over to the Marketplace in BC when Hurricane Hanna's (by the pool) was closed and Beaches and Cream had a long line. we liked the Captain's Grille in YC for a quiet TS breakfast as opposed to Cape May character b'fast. YC is closer to boats for the studios. BC is shorter walk to EPCOT. Whenever we walked over to BC it felt "busier" to me. We will go back to the YC.

We were booked Poly and switched to BC. (We stayed for the second time at the Poly in '07 and switched mid-trip back to our favorite, the CR.) Have you thought about a split stay at either BC/YC and CR? That's what we're doing in Aug.

I have never stayed at the BC or YC, however, I would have preferred YC because I've read that it's quieter and less crowded. I even looked today at our dates to see how resort occupancy looks, and the BC has only std. and water view rooms available, but the YC has every room category still available. I only chose BC because of the recent rehab, and because the YC is starting a rehab next month which might create some disturbances. I also assumed there was no possibility of getting a rehabed YC room in the beginning of August:confused3.

They are essentially one resort. The theming of the yacht club is slightly more serious. My DW called it "more elegant" so we stayed there. We were far away from the Marketplace. We bought refillable mugs but often couldn't use them unless we walked all the way over to the Marketplace in BC when Hurricane Hanna's (by the pool) was closed and Beaches and Cream had a long line. we liked the Captain's Grille in YC for a quiet TS breakfast as opposed to Cape May character b'fast. YC is closer to boats for the studios. BC is shorter walk to EPCOT. Whenever we walked over to BC it felt "busier" to me. We will go back to the YC.
Just curious, would you choose YC over BC even though the BC rooms were just rehabed (nice flat screens;)) and the YC rooms start a rehab next month? I'd rather stay at the YC, but as I just posted to Disney Mommy 3, I'd prefer a recently rehabed room and I'm also worried about potential YC rehab disruptions:confused3.

Just curious, would you choose YC over BC even though the BC rooms were just rehabed (nice flat screens;)) and the YC rooms start a rehab next month? I'd rather stay at the YC, but as I just posted to Disney Mommy 3, I'd prefer a recently rehabed room and I'm also worried about potential YC rehab disruptions:confused3.

The room we had was in OK shape although we wished there was a fan in the bathroom and the TV was a bit of a dinosaur. Overall we reelly preferred the atmosphere at YC. I've stayed at disney resorts that were undergoing rehab. If I hadn't read about it online, I wouldn't have known it was going on.

I do love the BC!! It's soooo close to Epcot!!!! I have considered a split stay--but doesn't it make a difference on your ddp? From what I understand, you actually have to make to separate ressies....and I would HATE to have to repack!!!! I did a split stay one year from the CR to the GF. It was a hassle with 3 kids--then we wished we would have just stayed at the Cont!!! The GF is nice, but we were at the fartherest building out, and the laundry center was the pits!!!! Our dryer was broken and our jeans almost never got dry. For the amount of $$$ extra, the GF rooms themselves, were no better than the CR or BC/YC. But, that's just my 2 cents!!!! I'll just try to plug in some dates, and see what's available for when we go. I have the end of Jan on our ticker, but Mike told me this weekend he really wants to do Christmas time again...so I need to change the ticker!!!! When I get the dates for sure I will change it. I would love to do the BCV--but not talked to anyone that's actually done it!! It would be awesome to have a laundry facility in the room!!! There is one washer and dryer in the BC side that's free---what about the YC?

We were at the YC a few weeks ago. Our room was on the second floor right above the lobby. We ended up getting free wifi for the week. We noticed a woman on her laptop in the lobby. We wondered if she was getting wireless access, and if it was known(to everyone but us!) that the lobby has free internet access. So we went up to our room, and sure enough, we managed to get it for free, probably based on our close proximity to the lobby.

We had a lovely experience at Poly-can't wait to get back but also wanting to try BC. At Poly, we reserved a standard room and was surprised to be assigned second floor of Tahiti with view of MK, fireworks & castle (slightly obstructted by palm trees).

But, your post reminded me I was surprised how fast and haphazard golf carts were driving at Poly---even though we were walking with two kids!

Disney Mommy 3, are you sure there's a free washer/dryer at the BC?

It is free at BCV for those staying in studios but you need your room key.

We've stayed at BCV many, many times now and love it!:cool1:

Disney Mommy 3, are you sure there's a free washer/dryer at the BC?

It is free at BCV for those staying in studios but you need your room key.

We've stayed at BCV many, many times now and love it!:cool1:

No free washer and dryer at the BC. It's only free for BCV members.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter