The New 2008 Beach Club and Yacht Club FAQs thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I requested a water view room (which I paid for--although many people get one by luck) close to the Epcot gate. That is exactly what we got! It was perfect. We were down at the very end right (meaning the last possible room) by Epcot and the bridge that goes to the Boardwalk. It was quiet and peaceful way down at that end for sure! Our balcony overlooked the lake at the very edge of the beach. We could see Boardwalk, Swan & Dolphin, and even the top of Tow of Terror. Our room was quite a bit away from all the hubub of the main area but in reality the walk to the pool, main lobby, and buses was just a couple minutes and we always walked outside and enjoyed the scenery. My husband's only complaint was that the balcony was very small (no stretching out on a deck chair on these balconies for sure!). It really didn't bother me though. Once I figure out how to post pictures, I will post a pic of the view from our room.

Hope that helps! Good luck on your room request!

Sounds great! Was it the full size balcony on this room?

I requested a water view room (which I paid for--although many people get one by luck) close to the Epcot gate. That is exactly what we got! It was perfect. We were down at the very end right (meaning the last possible room) by Epcot and the bridge that goes to the Boardwalk. It was quiet and peaceful way down at that end for sure! Our balcony overlooked the lake at the very edge of the beach. We could see Boardwalk, Swan & Dolphin, and even the top of Tow of Terror. Our room was quite a bit away from all the hubub of the main area but in reality the walk to the pool, main lobby, and buses was just a couple minutes and we always walked outside and enjoyed the scenery. My husband's only complaint was that the balcony was very small (no stretching out on a deck chair on these balconies for sure!). It really didn't bother me though. Once I figure out how to post pictures, I will post a pic of the view from our room.

Hope that helps! Good luck on your room request!

It does help.

Thanks You.

Ok,

So, so, so excited to not only be going to WDW again, but to be staying at such an awesome resort :thumbsup2 My kids don't know it yet - they know it's either BC or POR. Hopefully, they'll only find out when we go to hop on the ME;)

Thank god for these DIS boards, b/c they have helped me immensely in my planning. However, they've also turned me into a DIS-fanatic :rotfl2: Seriously, a friend of mine says I need an intervention! So, here I will go with the many questions I have:

Questions:
1. I know there was discussion about this before, but wondering if anyone who'd been @ BC recently knew if we could bring our own tubes for SAB and if so, what kind/color they had to be? If not, how much are the noodles in the gift shop? Do they sell tubes in the gift shop too?

2. The infamous kitchen sink.....is it enough for 4 adults and 2 children? We might have a local couple stop by and see us one evening, so I thought that would be fun to do with them.

3. Beaches 'n Cream - can you make reservations? I read on some board that people said it was always crowded :sad1: What would be a good time to go at nite for dinner and/or kitchen sink?

4. Are the prices of souvies in the gift shop similar to the prices in the parks? I think I remember someone mentioning "pin fishing" in the gift shop? Is that still going on ?

5. Seen any snakes?! Ok, laugh all you want, but after reading that "snake in a resort room" thread, I called and put a request on my reservation for an "upper level" room :rotfl:

6. Buses - pls give me your experience on the good/bad/ugly of them. The main one I'm concerned about is the one to MK. How long before rope drop should we be at the bus stop? Would 1 hr be enough time?

7. Going to DS - did you walk or take the water taxi? What's the time difference?

8. Anything else you can think of that I need to know (besides "take time and smell the roses") while we're there?!

Despite all of the many wks/days/hrs of planning, I am very thrilled about the following:
1. SAB and the resort (movies on the beach, etc)
2. Meeting Teena and Art
3. Beaches 'n Cream - kitchen sink here we come!
4. Being so close to the parks

Thank you, thank you, thank you all you fellow DIS-ers! The wealth of information here is far beyond what Birnbaum or the UG can tell anyone :yay:

Hi from a Texan!!! We are relatively close in Texas terms!! We are down closer to Houston/Louisiana. Anyway, we love staying in the BC!! We do our TS at a different 'country' each night, and we love being able to walk 'home' and not be on buses or in lines!!! The Beaches and Cream is fantastic and the kitchen sink is humongous!!!!!! Art is amazing,,haven't met Teena yet.
We had no real wait times for the MK bus in the morning...maybe 15 min for the longest one. The one to AK didn't seem like it would ever get there...but that happened at the Poly too. So, be ready to wait for that one. Hope your trip is spectacular!!! Oh--gift shop prices are pretty much all the same--just different things available where you are staying. Kinda themed by resort.

We stayed at YC on our last visit and loved it. We're going again in Oct but only BC had availability with our code for standard rooms. I've been researching BC and looking at all the photos and the rooms look smaller to me than YC. We had a full balcony with a day bed. Alot of the BC rooms seem to have an inset wall next to the balcony door that reduces the room space. Are the pictures deceiving or are some of the BC rooms smaller than YC?

I'll be honest, I'm quite hesitant about these rooms. I told the CM at booking that a full balcony was top priority for us when she was searching resorts that worked with our dates. She said it wouldn't be a problem and that she would note it on the reservation. I know that is not a guarantee so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I also think the daybed would be better for DS to sleep in but I hate to add another request to the room since the balcony is the top priority.

Any light you could shed on this room situation would be appreciated.

PS - I feel really lucky to be able to stay at a resort as nice as BC using our discount, it's just that it's our first trip with DS1 and I want to know every detail before I arrive.:flower3:

TCups4Me~
We have stayed only at BC-never been to the YC., but I always thought the rooms were the same. The wall next to the balconey is not inset. If you walk in the door to your room, your bathroom and closet area is to your right and left.Then you go into the main part with beds, tv, etc. straight out is the balconey with sliding doors--on the wall with the tv and desk, is a sofa/daybed. we always have this set up and it's great with the 5 of us. Oh, there is also a chair across from the day bed, on the wall with the beds. We have plenty of room!! Hope this helps you!!

the balconey's we have had are big enough to walk out on and look around--I don't think ours were too big. Seems like the ones we have had at the Poly andthe Cont. were bigger. i am not 100% sure on that tho!!

I'm sure this has been addressed before...but for those of you who have stayed at the BC and the YC, which do you prefer and why. I planned to stay at the YC the first time we picked that area, but it was full and they put us at BC...we were hooked and have only strayed once! We went to the Poly in Jan, but I wish we would have been over here!! Dh is tempted to do the cont again since the renovations to the rooms ,but I am not sure. I really like the convenience to Epcot. Anyway, why do you prefer one over the other? TIA!!:flower3:

I've read that the rooms are the same size at the YC & BC.

I think the photos you've seen are for rooms on the top floors -- dormer rooms -- where the roof is angled in a bit. That won't be the case except on the top floors, though. Hope this helps!

Yes, the rooms at the CR & Poly are much bigger than those at the YC & BC, but we have had a corner standard room at the YC and it was nice and big. Just luck of the draw on that one.

I am thinking of upgrading to a deluxe as a surprise for my husband on our December bounceback trip. My only issue is noise. I am very sensitive to noise from pools, walkways and such and also from neighbouring rooms and balconies.

Will noise be an issue at the YC or BC? Which is quieter of the two? I am also looking for standard room location suggestions (quiet/isolated) to request on my reservation.

Thanks very much!
:goodvibes

I wanted to pop in and give our review from our short stay at the YC.

Thursday morning(5/21) we decided that we had had enough of the Poly and went down to see if the YC/BC was available. Luckily they had rooms so we checked out and headed to MK. We arrived at the YC right at 3:00. Sandra, at the check in desk is fantastic. We had nothing but problems and she did everything she could to help us. I wont get into all that since the Poly is where it all stemmed from. When we finally got check in....an hour later, she called the manager to come and chat with us, Bill was his name I think. He was fantastic!

We headed up to our rooms 2138 and 2140 and they followed us up with our bags. The rooms were very clean, very roomy and just had a homey feel to them. We were in a standard view. From our balcony you could see the wooded area by the bus stop, and the bus stop pathway. It was very private and we loved seeing all the wildlife running around back there.

We loved SAB, I think that was our favorite part of our whole trip. Hurricane Hannas was not the best experience, however. On Saturday (5/23) around 1130 I went and ordered, they gave me a pager and I stepped back to wait, along with probably 20 other people. We all stood there for 20-25 minutes and only one tray of food went out. There was food piling up behind the counter but the lady working just didnt have a clue. People finally started getting fed up and they got someone else back there to help her. I stood there 15 more minutes and in that time they were calling numbers higher than mine and the others still waiting. When they called 255 and my number was 155 I got irritated and insisted they find my 2 cheeseburgers and 2 turkey sandwiches. The lady had been taking the order slips and moving them to the back of the line if she couldnt figure out the order. So the people that just ordered were getting food before those of us that waited 45 minutes. Anyway, that was the only issue at the YC that we had.

Since we were only there a short time, we only used the bus to get to DTD. The wait was about 10-15 minutes each time we went. We walked to Epcot on Saturday (5/23) and made it to the Outpost to get faces painted when the skys opened up and started pouring. Not a fun walk/run back in the torrential down pour LOL. I swear we were going to get struck by lightning...it was pretty wicked that night. The life gaurds were so sweet that night. They were standing at the doors opening them for people and giving out towels. They tried really hard to make my DS-4 feel better about his face paint that was streaming down his face! It was super busy at all the restuarnts that night. 90-120 min waits. We ended up ordering in room dining and waited about 45 mins for it.

We did the character meal and it was pretty good. Kids loved seeing Donald. The sandwiches at the Marketplace were very good. I loved the Ham and Cheese toasted. I loved how friendly everyone was. Loved it. They made us feel so at home and welcomed and that they actually cared that we were there. On Sunday (5/24) when we checked out Bill the manager came out and talked to us again. I just really love it there. I prefer the themeing at the YC over the BC and Im pretty sure that we have found our home.

ETA....I thought the rooms were very very quiet. A couple of times we heard noise in the hallway, but never anything from the neighboring rooms. At the Poly we could hear everything through the walls. I hated that. Number one, it bugged us to be trying to talk and having to talk over the people next door. Number two, Im sure that the neighbors werent thrilled when the baby fussed at night.

When I booked my ressies for the BC, my grandmother was part of the party. However, she is no longer going with us, so I want to change my requests. We have standard rooms - originally I requested to be close to the lobby. Now I just would like to have a full balcony/be on an upper floor. Should I call reservations back and make the changes or can I just ask at check in??

Thanks.

I am thinking of upgrading to a deluxe as a surprise for my husband on our December bounceback trip. My only issue is noise. I am very sensitive to noise from pools, walkways and such and also from neighbouring rooms and balconies.

Will noise be an issue at the YC or BC? Which is quieter of the two? I am also looking for standard room location suggestions (quiet/isolated) to request on my reservation.

Thanks very much!
:goodvibes

YC is the quieter of the two. Less kids, farther from Epcot & the fireworks, etc. If you decide to book there, ask for a quiet location (not above SAB). We have always felt that it was a very quiet resort, but if you go to sleep before 9pm, you'll hear Illuminations if you're facing Epcot & the lagoon.

Standard rooms are quieter since they don't face the pools. :)

*ksjayhawkfan* thank you for your TR. I'm glad your vacation had a happy ending. Your moving from the Poly reminds me of a little story...

We also moved after a few days from the Poly to the CR in '07. Our room was not cleaned properly upon check-in, we thought it would get better, but it didn't. The hallway was filled all day with used room service trays/food/garbage bags and sand remained at our door (and others) until we checked-out. I was disappointed and my DH and DD really missed the CR so I made the switch and everyone was much happier:worship:. Except when we went to check-out of the CR and found out that the Poly didn't actually check us out until 3 days after we had actually left! The Poly room was actually vacant and unoccupied for 3 days after we left:sad2:. Not only had the CR called the Poly to check us out and inform them we had moved, I physically went back to the Poly that evening to make certain we had been checked-out (this took 30 mins.) Of course, this made for a very confusing CR check-out when the invoice was presented with 3 days of double billing, but that's another story:scared:.

You wrote that you didn't want to go into the details of your Poly problems, but I'd be interested in knowing what the problems were that led to your moving and having a bad YC check-inpopcorn::.

Thanks for the info on Yachtsman Steakhouse. Because of what you posted, I went ahead and called IPO and asked for an ADR here for our first night. I hope we like it as much as you did!:goodvibes

Oh my, the pressure's on ;)

My hubby said to tell you it is along the lines of a Ruth's Chris restaurant (I've never eaten there myself so I can't really say...) But we really enjoyed Yachtsman. It has a calm and quieter atmosphere (without being stuffy), which we appreciated especially after a day at the parks. I think it would be a little slice of heaven after a long day of airports and flying. It was dark out when we ate there but I think it was partly looking out at SAB. I think you'll really like it. Even my then 4 and 6 year old's said that was the one restaurant they really wanted to go back to out of all the restaurants/castle dinner/character dining we visited during our stay (we were on a dining plan).

Sorry, I've rambled on far too long :blush: - Enjoy your trip though!

ksjayhawkfan said:

Hurricane Hannas was not the best experience, however. On Saturday (5/23) around 1130 I went and ordered, they gave me a pager and I stepped back to wait, along with probably 20 other people. We all stood there for 20-25 minutes and only one tray of food went out. There was food piling up behind the counter but the lady working just didnt have a clue. People finally started getting fed up and they got someone else back there to help her. I stood there 15 more minutes and in that time they were calling numbers higher than mine and the others still waiting. When they called 255 and my number was 155 I got irritated and insisted they find my 2 cheeseburgers and 2 turkey sandwiches. The lady had been taking the order slips and moving them to the back of the line if she couldnt figure out the order. So the people that just ordered were getting food before those of us that waited 45 minutes. Anyway, that was the only issue at the YC that we had.

This whole pager system at the counter service restaurants is fairly new. My son is a CM at the food court at the Animal Kingdom Lodge and all of the people that work there are having a lot of problems with the "new system". I think this new system was just kind of thrown at the CMs without a lot of training - many of these places lost some of their managers as part of the recent cut backs and that hasn't made it any easier. Sorry that you had to have that experience!

ksjayhawkfan said:

This whole pager system at the counter service restaurants is fairly new. My son is a CM at the food court at the Animal Kingdom Lodge and all of the people that work there are having a lot of problems with the "new system". I think this new system was just kind of thrown at the CMs without a lot of training - many of these places lost some of their managers as part of the recent cut backs and that hasn't made it any easier. Sorry that you had to have that experience!

Never noticed pagers at Mara several weeks ago, but I don't think it ever got super busy when we went. Awesome grilled chicken caesar salads though. :)

DW did notice that they seemed to have some sort of tabs that related to what you ordered, which she thought they were supposed to give you but never did - again, perhaps because it wasn't busy enough. Sounds like it may have been something like what York's Steak House used to do in the 70s - cafeteria style service where you got a number on a plastic stand based on your entree order that you put on your tray and waited - I didn't see it though.

We have always felt that it was a very quiet resort, but if you go to sleep before 9pm, you'll hear Illuminations if you're facing Epcot & the lagoon.

:)

We didn't know this, and our 1st night we crashed early...only to be jolted out of bed by what sounded like incoming artillery! :lmao: It took us a moment to figure out what was happening.....

When I booked my ressies for the BC, my grandmother was part of the party. However, she is no longer going with us, so I want to change my requests. We have standard rooms - originally I requested to be close to the lobby. Now I just would like to have a full balcony/be on an upper floor. Should I call reservations back and make the changes or can I just ask at check in??

Thanks.

Have your requests changed would be your best chance of getting the type of room you would like. If your ticker is correct, you still have plenty of time to have your requests changed before your ressie is downloaded to the resort. This will give the room assigner a chance to review your requests and give you a better chance of receiving your request. Have a great time!!!

Thursday morning(5/21) we decided that we had had enough of the Poly and went down to see if the YC/BC was available. Luckily they had rooms so we checked out and headed to MK. We arrived at the YC right at 3:00. Sandra, at the check in desk is fantastic. We had nothing but problems and she did everything she could to help us. I wont get into all that since the Poly is where it all stemmed from. When we finally got check in....an hour later, she called the manager to come and chat with us, Bill was his name I think. He was fantastic!

I'm glad you had a great stay! (except the CS place -- our only complaint at the Poly was waiting forever at their CS place, but we didn't wait nearly as long as you did). I have to admit, I'd like to know what happened at the Poly. We enjoyed our first stay there in April, but I do understand that no resort is right for everyone.:confused3

Oh my, the pressure's on ;)

My hubby said to tell you it is along the lines of a Ruth's Chris restaurant (I've never eaten there myself so I can't really say...) But we really enjoyed Yachtsman. It has a calm and quieter atmosphere (without being stuffy), which we appreciated especially after a day at the parks. I think it would be a little slice of heaven after a long day of airports and flying. It was dark out when we ate there but I think it was partly looking out at SAB. I think you'll really like it. Even my then 4 and 6 year old's said that was the one restaurant they really wanted to go back to out of all the restaurants/castle dinner/character dining we visited during our stay (we were on a dining plan).

Sorry, I've rambled on far too long :blush: - Enjoy your trip though!

Thanks for the info. Honestly, YS was going to be our backup in case we arrive too late to get into Epcot for dinner -- but after hearing so many good reviews, I think that it's our #1 choice for dinner on our first night. We'll just have to change and clean up a bit first, though, since there's a dress code.;)

We didn't know this, and our 1st night we crashed early...only to be jolted out of bed by what sounded like incoming artillery! :lmao: It took us a moment to figure out what was happening.....

:rotfl:Yeah. My DD and DM were tired one night and wanted to go to bed early. Oops -- we forgot about Illuminations! It woke them both up, but luckily that time we had a good view of it from our room, so at least they got to watch it before going back to sleep!:rotfl:

We will be at the Beach Club July 7-15. We are trying to decide if we have a large enough order to justify using Garden Grocer. Can you buy a loaf of bread at the sundries shop at the Beach club? And if you can, how much is it? TIA

We will be at the Beach Club July 7-15. We are trying to decide if we have a large enough order to justify using Garden Grocer. Can you buy a loaf of bread at the sundries shop at the Beach club? And if you can, how much is it? TIA

Yes, you can buy a loaf of bread at the Marketplace. A selection of basic things are offered as the villas have kitchens. Sorry, I don't know the price but you can count on it being more than at a local grocery but nothing too outrageous considering the convenience.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter