• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The Never Ending Dining Review! Feb/April 2015 Update: Cowish

Backlot Express

I always have a hard time finding something good for quick service at Hollywood Studios, but Backlot Express has been okay now and again so that's where we decided to go. I wasn't terribly hungry after sharing that delicious cupcake, so I asked DH if he would like to split a meal with me. I ordered the Veggie Sandwich without mushrooms (
Basil Asiago Artisan Bread, fresh Mushrooms, Red Peppers, Zucchini, Tomato, Watercress, Cheese, and Sun-dried Tomato Pesto served with Carrot Sticks and French Fries):

And here's the sandwich opened up so you can see what is inside:

You have to wait a little longer for a customized order, like mine without the mushrooms, but it's worth it. I really enjoy this sandwich. I'm not a vegetarian but I enjoy a veggie option and this one is quite good. It has a lot on it and the cheese and sun dried tomato pesto adds a lot of flavor. I'd give it a 7.5 out of 10. The french fries are of course your typical Disney fries.

Because DH was more hungry than I was, he wanted something additional. He decided to get the chicken nuggets kids meal. There were some options for what you could get with it, but he went with fries and a cookie:

I actually think the kids meals are a fairly decent deal at Disney. Sure it's more than a happy meal, but at least you get a side and a dessert with it. I'm pretty sure it can with a small drink too. And since the soda fountains at Backlot Express are out on the floor and not behind the counter, we just stuck with that and refilled it once or twice (I had a water bottle I was mostly drinking from anyway). This is a pretty basic meal, nothing out of the ordinary, but when you just need some nuggets and fries this will do the trick - even for an adult that perhaps doesn't have a big appetite or conversely has a very big appetite and needs a second mini-meal to supplement their regular one ;) DH gives it a 6 out of 10.

Overall I'm not in love with Backlot Express, but it's probably my favorite quick service meal in Hollywood Studios (not saying much). I'd give it a 6.5 out of 10.

Here are the prices:
Kids Chicken Nugget meal: $5.99
Veggie Sandwich: $9.49

Total with tax: $16.49

Hi Becky! You know I love some dining reviews! And you're right - your nachos at T-Rex look very similar to the ones I got for my entree at RFC at DLR's DTD. Definitely yummy!!!

I'm with you on the limited options @ MGM. Of course these days that tends to apply to both the park and the CS food, so we don't spend much time there.

You backlot meal looks pretty decent though. And in all my years in disney I had no idea you could customize CS food. Guess ya really do learn something new everyday. Like you I like a good veggie option, but Im presuming that perhaps we share the same "love" for mushrooms. Good to know a whole new world of options is now open to my mushroom hating self.

As much as I always think there are no good QS options at DHS.. That veggie sandwich looks delicious!

Great reviews so far! I think that's the same sandwich I had at the Studios last summer. Although, I might have had the turkey. Regardless, I remember that it was good. Lol

Hi Becky! You know I love some dining reviews! And you're right - your nachos at T-Rex look very similar to the ones I got for my entree at RFC at DLR's DTD. Definitely yummy!!!

Yes, they were delicious!

I'm with you on the limited options @ MGM. Of course these days that tends to apply to both the park and the CS food, so we don't spend much time there.

You backlot meal looks pretty decent though. And in all my years in disney I had no idea you could customize CS food. Guess ya really do learn something new everyday. Like you I like a good veggie option, but Im presuming that perhaps we share the same "love" for mushrooms. Good to know a whole new world of options is now open to my mushroom hating self.

Yes, as long as you're willing to wait they're usually pretty good about making accommodations!

As much as I always think there are no good QS options at DHS.. That veggie sandwich looks delicious!

I haven't really found a QS place where I love a lot of the options, but there are one or two things at certain spots that are very good!

Great reviews so far! I think that's the same sandwich I had at the Studios last summer. Although, I might have had the turkey. Regardless, I remember that it was good. Lol

Yeah, it's tasty! I think I remember seeing a turkey sandwich, that sounded good too.

I think Disney is the only place where I crave their chicken nuggets! Your veggie sandwich looked yummy and we love T-Rex, their burgers are very good!

Every time I see that sandwich from TRex my mouth waters! I wish we had time for another dinner on our upcoming trip :(

Joining in!! Can't wait to see more. I have never eaten at T-Rex but looks fantastic (especially those nachos).

Enjoying the reviews! DH and I love T Rex. We also got some great drinks there and split the nachos. I didn't realize that it got quite a few bad reviews. I did get a glass when we ate there last time and I use it at home a lot!

Enjoying the reviews. The sandwich you got at HS looks really good.

Thank you!

I think Disney is the only place where I crave their chicken nuggets! Your veggie sandwich looked yummy and we love T-Rex, their burgers are very good!

Haha, Disney gives me a lot of food cravings! I was really tempted to try a burger at T-REX but I couldn't resist the sandwich!

Every time I see that sandwich from TRex my mouth waters! I wish we had time for another dinner on our upcoming trip :(

That's always how I feel when I read dining reviews. DH and I said someday we're going to take a trip that focuses solely on the food.

Joining in!! Can't wait to see more. I have never eaten at T-Rex but looks fantastic (especially those nachos).

You should definitely try it sometime if you get the chance!

Enjoying the reviews! DH and I love T Rex. We also got some great drinks there and split the nachos. I didn't realize that it got quite a few bad reviews. I did get a glass when we ate there last time and I use it at home a lot!

Yeah, I've read a lot of comments that have complaints like the food isn't very good or Applebee's level (which I definitely don't agree with), overpriced, noisy, etc. But come on, it's Disney! It's obviously going to be overpriced and there's dinosaurs so it's noisy, lol. I like our souvenir glasses that we got the first time - it's one thing that we collect. We don't have any standard glasses but just all sorts of fun ones from all over the place!

Mama Melrose

Like any good runner I had to choose a restaurant the night before the race where I could get some carbs, so Friday night before the Enchanted 10k we did Mama Melrose! We had planned the day in Hollywood Studios anyway and enjoyed our meal there once before.

There are two things I want from a meal before a race, and that's bread and pasta. Mama Melrose has plenty of both! We started out with rolls and olive oil (which I much prefer to butter). DH also ordered a glass of wine, but I stuck with water:

For his meal, DH ordered the
Seafood Arrabbiata - Shrimp, Mussels, Calamari, Fish of the Day, and Whole-Wheat Spaghetti tossed with spicy Seafood Sauce:

He enjoyed this and rated it an 8 out of 10. He really enjoyed the flavor of everything, especially the seafood. His one complaint was that the noodles were very slippery. Here's his comment: "The noodles were difficult to control, difficult to keep on my fork, and when they wiggled, it sent little drops of spicy broth everywhere. That might be a thing that other people don't mind, but I just don't like my foods to be so wily and unruly." Haha. I think he would have preferred it if it was a penne pasta or something non-spaghetti.

I had the
Penne alla Vodka with Chicken - with Pancetta and Sweet Onions finished with Tomato- Basil Sauce, Cream, Vodka, and Pecorino Romano:

This was pretty much just what I was looking for. A nice, hearty meal with lots of pasta and some chicken for protein. It's definitely one of the better Penne alla vodka's that I've had anywhere, and while it's nothing mind blowing or anything, it's really good. So I give it a 7.5 out of 10.

We also decided to have dessert. We had both loved our desserts here two years ago and were disappointed to find that the dessert menu had completely changed. DH went with the
Ghirardelli Chocolate and Cherry Tort - Creamy Chocolate infused with Morello Cherries with Cherry Coulis and topped with Whipped Cream:

His choice to order this surprised me, because he's not much of a chocolate person. He does like cherries though. He rated it an 8 out of 10, though "less 8-y 8 than the seafood pasta." :confused3 He liked his entree better than dessert, I guess.

I went with the
Traditional Cannoli Plate - House-made creamy Cannoli Filling with a hint of Citrus and dusted with Cocoa Powder :

I love a good cannoli. These were tasty, but the thing that really made them delicious was the citrus flavor. It was really different and I love citrus so it was a big hit with me! I'd give them an 8 out of 10, and they were the highlight of my meal, but still not quite as good as the cannoli cake I'd had last time!

Overall Mama Melrose gets a solid 8 out of 10 from us. In a park where there aren't a lot of great choices, it's a good option if you're looking for some decent Italian.

Wine: $8.00

Seafood Pasta: $23.99
Penne alla vodka with chicken: $19.99
Cannoli plate: $6.49
Chocolate cherry tort: $6.49

Total after tax with TiW discount: $67.04

Amount saved with TiW: $12.99

Coming out of lurkdom to sub.

That pasta looked so good! (both of them). Sorry your DH had such undisciplined, unruly noodles. (even more reason to eat them up):tongue:

Thanks for the Mama Melrose review. Gotta love those carbs ; )

Yum, makes me hungry for Mama Melrose's! I got the Seafood Arrabiata when my husband and I were there last year. So delicious.

Mmmm, I haven't eaten at Mama Melrose in 15 years! I remember it being really good...though DH and I were poor college students at the time, so anything tasted good then, lol!
I'd like to try it again sometime. :)

Looks delicious!! We love Italian food but we haven't tried MM yet. Looks like the perfect pre race meal.

Those pasta dishes look Yum!

"The noodles were difficult to control, difficult to keep on my fork, and when they wiggled, it sent little drops of spicy broth everywhere. That might be a thing that other people don't mind, but I just don't like my foods to be so wily and unruly."

:rotfl2:I hate it when your shirt gets sprayed with sauce like that.

Those cannolis look awesome but the torte looks a little funny under that dollop of canned whipped cream. :laughing: I love me some canned whipped cream but it looks a little funny on top of the fancy dessert. I'm glad it tasted great.

Coming out of lurkdom to sub.

That pasta looked so good! (both of them). Sorry your DH had such undisciplined, unruly noodles. (even more reason to eat them up):tongue:

Welcome out of lurk-dom! Haha, he has a funny way of describing things ;)

Thanks for the Mama Melrose review. Gotta love those carbs ; )

Carbs are great!

Yum, makes me hungry for Mama Melrose's! I got the Seafood Arrabiata when my husband and I were there last year. So delicious.

His food did look really good, almost makes me wish I ordered the seafood too!

Mmmm, I haven't eaten at Mama Melrose in 15 years! I remember it being really good...though DH and I were poor college students at the time, so anything tasted good then, lol!
I'd like to try it again sometime. :)

I've heard they have really good flatbreads too but haven't gotten around to trying those yet!

Looks delicious!! We love Italian food but we haven't tried MM yet. Looks like the perfect pre race meal.

Yes, it was perfect for before the race, especially since we spent the day in Hollywood Studios first!

Those pasta dishes look Yum!

:rotfl2:I hate it when your shirt gets sprayed with sauce like that.

Those cannolis look awesome but the torte looks a little funny under that dollop of canned whipped cream. :laughing: I love me some canned whipped cream but it looks a little funny on top of the fancy dessert. I'm glad it tasted great.

Ha, I know what you mean! It does kind of take away from the presentation a bit ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter