The Never Ending Dining Review! Feb/April 2015 Update: Cowish

Just now joining in. The seafood pasta from Mama Melrose looks really good and now I'm craving cannolis.

but I just don't like my foods to be so wily and unruly
:rotfl2:Possibly the best dining review comment of ALL TIME!!!! :rotfl2:

I had the Penne alla Vodka with Chicken - with Pancetta and Sweet Onions finished with Tomato- Basil Sauce, Cream, Vodka, and Pecorino Romano
I had this with shrimp (and stupid gluten-free pasta) on our last trip (2013) and really enjoyed it - a never-ending bowl of pasta can't be beat! I predict I will be ordering it again this summer ;)

I went with the Traditional Cannoli Plate - House-made creamy Cannoli Filling with a hint of Citrus and dusted with Cocoa Powder :

Um, YUM. That's pretty much all I can think to say. :laughing:

Just now joining in. The seafood pasta from Mama Melrose looks really good and now I'm craving cannolis.

Trust me, now I'm craving cannolis too!

:rotfl2:Possibly the best dining review comment of ALL TIME!!!! :rotfl2:

I had this with shrimp (and stupid gluten-free pasta) on our last trip (2013) and really enjoyed it - a never-ending bowl of pasta can't be beat! I predict I will be ordering it again this summer ;)

Um, YUM. That's pretty much all I can think to say. :laughing:

Haha DH certainly has a unique way with words!

The penne vodka is probably really good with shrimp too - there was so much food!

Hi Becky! I love your idea of the never ending dining review! Great start so far.

The nachos at T-Rex looked so good! Nachos are totally my weak spot....no matter what kind of a restaurant I'm at, if there are nachos on the menu, I have a really hard time not ordering them!

I was laughing when I read about your sandwich at Backlot Express.....you got it without mushrooms, and when I read all of the toppings, I realized that mushrooms are pretty much the only thing on there that I WOULD eat, lol! Well except cheese of course, but, duh.

I LOVE Mama Melrose! We almost always go there for dinner before we watch Fantasmic. I always get the Chicken Campanelle, and I like it too much to branch out and try something else. I LOVED your husband's review of his spaghetti! Hilarious. I can relate though, I won't eat any form of long pasta when I'm out in public, I make a huge mess every time.

Your Mama Melrose looks like it was a smart meal to have pre-race!

It definitely did the trick!

Hi Becky! I love your idea of the never ending dining review! Great start so far.

The nachos at T-Rex looked so good! Nachos are totally my weak spot....no matter what kind of a restaurant I'm at, if there are nachos on the menu, I have a really hard time not ordering them!

I was laughing when I read about your sandwich at Backlot Express.....you got it without mushrooms, and when I read all of the toppings, I realized that mushrooms are pretty much the only thing on there that I WOULD eat, lol! Well except cheese of course, but, duh.

I LOVE Mama Melrose! We almost always go there for dinner before we watch Fantasmic. I always get the Chicken Campanelle, and I like it too much to branch out and try something else. I LOVED your husband's review of his spaghetti! Hilarious. I can relate though, I won't eat any form of long pasta when I'm out in public, I make a huge mess every time.

I'm with you on the nachos - I have a very hard time resisting them anywhere! If I see them on a menu and we talk about getting an appetizer, DH will mention a few things and I'm always like, "Uh huh... but how about the nachos??" And he will usually go with it ;)

LOL okay so I will order the vegetable sandwich and just give you my mushrooms then! :rotfl:

I haven't tried the Chicken Camanelle but it sounds good! I'm sure we'll be back there! Do you do the Fantasmic dinner package? I've never tried that but wondered if it was worth it.

Sounds like I need get myself over MM at some point on one of my future trips. Thanks for the review :)

No, we've never done the Fantasmic dinner package. I've considered it, but we usually go during off-peak times, and we've always been able to find a decent seat T Fantasmic, even if we run in at the last minute. Seems to be a lot easier with just 2 adults than if you have a big party I guess. I always keep the dinner package in mind, but never end up doing it.

Well I am ok with buying apps/meal/dessert...but don't want to be charged MORE for my meal than a non-package person. Is that the case?

Sounds like I need get myself over MM at some point on one of my future trips. Thanks for the review :)

You're welcome!

No, we've never done the Fantasmic dinner package. I've considered it, but we usually go during off-peak times, and we've always been able to find a decent seat T Fantasmic, even if we run in at the last minute. Seems to be a lot easier with just 2 adults than if you have a big party I guess. I always keep the dinner package in mind, but never end up doing it.

That's how I've always felt about it too. I know it exists but don't hear much from people who actually do it.

Well I am ok with buying apps/meal/dessert...but don't want to be charged MORE for my meal than a non-package person. Is that the case?

if you're talking about the Fantasmic dining package, I think it often works out to be more than the cost of the meal individually. But you're also paying for reserved seating.

if you're talking about the Fantasmic dining package, I think it often works out to be more than the cost of the meal individually. But you're also paying for reserved seating.

Thanks I didn't understand it to be that. I was under the impression Disney was "throwing a bone"- reserved seating, in order to get people in rest. at not popular times. No way I am paying for seating I can wait for. Damn...Disney has gotten real greedy. Glad I read this thread.

Boulangerie Patisserie les Halles

For lunch on our Epcot day we decided to try a place that was new to us - the quick service restaurant in France.

I'd heard good things about it but never got around to trying it! So instead of doing our usual Sunshine Seasons, we headed here. For my meal I had the Croque Monsieur - (toasted ham and cheese):

This was very good. It was a little bit different than what I was expecting, with the cheese on top of the bread. I was expecting more of a typical grilled cheese, but I quite liked this. The flavors all worked well together. I'd give it a 7.5 out of 10.

DH had the Croissant Jambon Fromage - ham, cheese and bechamel in a croissant:

Not surprisingly, the flavors here were very similar to my sandwich, the obvious difference being that this one was on a croissant. DH enjoyed it and gave it a 7 out of 10.

Because he was super hungry DH decided to get a salad as well, and went with the blue salad (romaine, imported blue cheese, croutons):

This salad was a complete joke. You can kind of tell from the picture, but there was almost nothing on it. It was basically a big container of lettuce, with two small pieces of cheese and maybe five croutons. And a couple of onions but DH hates those and took them off. For $10 for a salad we were expecting a lot more. This was a huge let down and DH ended up throwing most of it out because, well, it was basically just a big bowl of lettuce after he ate maybe 1/4 of it. He gave it a 3 out of 10.

DH did also grab a pastry here, which I tried as well. It was some sort of raspberry/chocolate thing, the receipt says "framboise":

It was soooo delicious. It had fresh raspberries in it, which was great. And the flavors are perfect together. DH gave it an 8 out of 10 but I would give it a 9 out of 10.

For my dessert I headed next door to the ice cream shop to try the strawberries and cream ice cream maracron sandwich:

This was also delicious! I love the ice cream here, it always tastes so fresh and natural. Instead of the fake strawberry flavor you get in a lot of strawberry ice creams, this tasted like real strawberries. And the cookie was fresh and delicious. I just wish it was bigger! I would give it an 9 out of 10.

So overall, Les Halles was extremely hit or miss with us. The sandwiches we had were decent, but the salad was just ridiculous. But the desserts were amazing. So I would probably only come back here for the desserts - only problem is, with the ice cream shop right next door I'd probably choose that every time! So I'm not really sure when/if I'd go back here. It's hard to give it an overall rating because stuff varied so much, but I'd go with a 7 out of 10.

Bottled water: $2.50
Croque Monsieur: $8.75
Framboise: $5.50
Ham and Cheese Croissant: $4.75
Salade Bleu Cheese: $9.50

Total with Tax: $32. 86

Maracon ice cream sandwich: $3.99

Total with tax: $4.25

Thanks I didn't understand it to be that. I was under the impression Disney was "throwing a bone"- reserved seating, in order to get people in rest. at not popular times. No way I am paying for seating I can wait for. Damn...Disney has gotten real greedy. Glad I read this thread.

Yeah, I agree with you. Disney will upcharge you for anything these days, and there are people who will pay it - so they will continue to do it. Though this package has been around for a lot longer than some of their newer ventures, like the dessert parties and such.

P1110757_zps71s22qll.jpg

These look VERY tasty!

For $10 for a salad we were expecting a lot more
WHOA! $10 for a bowl of lettuce at a QS? YIKES!

This was also delicious!
This looks and sounds amazing. I have to check this out - macaroons are usually gluten-free where I come from, so maybe I could get one!

I've had a few things from Les Halles, but never a salad or a sandwich. I think your ham sandwiches look great! I agree though kind of odd with the cheese on top, haha. And that salad... oh man. So I love anything with blue cheese and will almost always purchase something if it has blue cheese on top. But that salad is sad looking. $9.50 is insanity. You could get a huge (delicious) salad at Panera with a side and a drink for less than that!

Jumping on board to follow along with you! Your strawberries and cream ice cream macaron sandwich looks incredible. I love the ice cream there, so have to try that next time. Sorry Les Halles was a hit and miss stop. The sandwiches look yummy, though, so that's good! Excited to see where else you hit up.

I've never done Les Halles either. Not sure how I've missed it over the years, but always end up elsewhere. Though it sounds like when I go dessert is where its at.

These look VERY tasty!

WHOA! $10 for a bowl of lettuce at a QS? YIKES!

This looks and sounds amazing. I have to check this out - macaroons are usually gluten-free where I come from, so maybe I could get one!

Yeah it was crazy to me that the sandwiches cost less than that salad! They were much better. The croissant sandwich was a bargain!

I hope the macarons are gluten free at Disney so you can try this! I think they change the flavor up of the ice cream one every so often. I know I've seen a chocolate one before too.

I've had a few things from Les Halles, but never a salad or a sandwich. I think your ham sandwiches look great! I agree though kind of odd with the cheese on top, haha. And that salad... oh man. So I love anything with blue cheese and will almost always purchase something if it has blue cheese on top. But that salad is sad looking. $9.50 is insanity. You could get a huge (delicious) salad at Panera with a side and a drink for less than that!

Right? And the thing that got me is that the salads weren't on display or anything, they handed them to you from behind an area in the back, so you didn't even know what you were getting for the money (just the description on the menu). Panera salads are way better!

Jumping on board to follow along with you! Your strawberries and cream ice cream macaron sandwich looks incredible. I love the ice cream there, so have to try that next time. Sorry Les Halles was a hit and miss stop. The sandwiches look yummy, though, so that's good! Excited to see where else you hit up.

Definitely stick with the sandwiches and avoid the salads if you eat there!

I've never done Les Halles either. Not sure how I've missed it over the years, but always end up elsewhere. Though it sounds like when I go dessert is where its at.

They have such a huge selection of delicious looking desserts!

That Lady and the Tramp cupcake is just the cutest thing I've ever seen! and I like the looks of the grilled cheese sandwich at Les Halles. :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter