the negatives

hidmickey:myantidrug

DIS Veteran
Most of what you hear on this board is the great things about DCL. Let's dwell on the negatives. It doesn't have to be an extreme, even something like the bathroom was too small. Just something that the upcoming first timers can expect in paradise. What wasn't up to your standards or just wouldn't go right?

I'll start. Eventhough I haven't been on one yet here is something I definatly see as being a pain in the butt. I wish that you could pay cash in gift shops rather than charging to your room. I'd rather be keeping track of my own finances than charging it to an account that my mom and grandparents will be sharing (we're all in one room). I don't want a mix up and have me paying for their stuff or, worse, them paying for mine (not usually the words out of a teenager's mouth!). I just don't want to lose track of what I spend and have to worry about money exchange, etc.

Not that anything didn't "go right", but just some things that we miss on DCL are the midnight buffet & the improv/comedy hour that they used to have.
Also, we wish they would change the shows periodically, or at least alternate them with others & list which cruise will have which shows. We've seen the same shows over & over & we're about to see them again. We fully enjoy them, but do get tired of seeing the same ones & would look forward to enjoying some new ones. Of course, that wouldn't apply to first-time cruisers, but once you cruise we're sure you'll return & may feel the same way.

There's really not much to not like on DCL. They are beautiful ships & it's a wonderful cruise - especially Castaway Cay.

Periodically, we've had 'fair' stateroom or dining hosts, but you can get that on any cruiseline.

Enjoy!

hidmickey:myantidrug said:
Most of what you hear on this board is the great things about DCL. Let's dwell on the negatives. It doesn't have to be an extreme, even something like the bathroom was too small. Just something that the upcoming first timers can expect in paradise. What wasn't up to your standards or just wouldn't go right?

I'll start. Eventhough I haven't been on one yet here is something I definatly see as being a pain in the butt. I wish that you could pay cash in gift shops rather than charging to your room. I'd rather be keeping track of my own finances than charging it to an account that my mom and grandparents will be sharing (we're all in one room). I don't want a mix up and have me paying for their stuff or, worse, them paying for mine (not usually the words out of a teenager's mouth!). I just don't want to lose track of what I spend and have to worry about money exchange, etc.

Unless things have changes in two years, keeping charges seperate from others staying in the same room was not an issue. My Mom and I had our KTTW cards linked to our own credit cards even though we were in the same room. I was not charged for BINGO additction :rolleyes1 and she never saw what I spend on photos and pool-side cocktails :smooth: We were able to get individual expense reports from GS whenever we asked.

The most negative thing about the whole cruise was leaving the ship and going back to reality. All well.....3 months and 2 days to go....... :yay: :yay: :yay:

There are no negatives that apply to DCL more so than other cruise lines. Disney is clearly at the top, both from ship material condition and service.

There is no gambling on Disney ships. Maybe that's a negative for some folks!

Had to think for awhile, but I would have liked a hot breakfast from room service (like the Cat1-3's can get).

I wish there was some way to have a contingent plan for castaway cay.... to me that is the highlight of the trip, and on my last cruise, our ship didn't make it... and I think they should rearrange the itinerary, so if the ship can't dock on the first scheduled day, there should be an attempt on a second day... for example if you do the 3 night, and you can't stop at CC on day one... can't they then go to Nassau and try it on day 2? Same for other itineraries. Try it at the beginning of the cruise, and then you can rearrange if necessary.
When we did the 7 night, we ended up with 4 days at sea... too much in my opinion when you have 4 kids!

I prefer to look at the positive side of things as well. Also remember that one person's negative might be another person's positive. For example I love that we don't have to use cash. I don't need to carry my purse for the week and just carry my KTTW card on my lanyard. I keep all the receipts in one place and usually check my charges mid-trip and then again at the end. No surprises and if I want to pay it off I can.

The only negative (if you even want to call it that) is the fact that the day at Castaway Cay is too short. I wish the ship stayed there 'til 7pm or so.

The only negative of a DC to me is that they make you get off the ship!!! :)

Not a negative by any means ... just something that I miss from our first cruise. I miss the dueling pianos. Some of my best memories from our first cruise came during the family show in between the main show and our dinner seating.

Kim&Chris said:
The only negative (if you even want to call it that) is the fact that the day at Castaway Cay is too short. I wish the ship stayed there 'til 7pm or so.

I agree with that too. I also wished we would have been able to stay at Key West for the sunset celebration at Mallory Square. We had to be on the boat so early.

Castaway Cay was so wonderful. I wish we had more time to explore that too. The great thing is that we can always go back. My husband and I are now hooked on cruises. So carefree, and everything is right there for you. I really can't think of many negatives.

I think the reason they have the same shows is that most people cannot get a chance to see them each time. I saw one....Remember the Magic....but the others I did not get a chance to see. Maybe next time.

My only complaint was the fact that our character breakfast was at 6:45 the morning after Pirates Night. I set the alarm for 6:00 and couldn't get my 5yo out of bed. When she woke up later, she cried because she missed it but there was just no dragging her out of bed after 6 hours sleep.

Jackie :sunny:

Come on guys - none? I've seen comments here before!

My complaint is rather specific and doesn't apply to many people, but none the less . . . the handicapped seating in the Buena Vista theater and in the big theater (can't remember it's name) is really substandard. All the way in the back, in the corner. It made my mom feel like a second class citizen. I've only been on a DIS cruise, but I have been to a lot of theaters, etc., and handicapped seating is usually much better.

one princess said:
My only complaint was the fact that our character breakfast was at 6:45 the morning after Pirates Night. I set the alarm for 6:00 and couldn't get my 5yo out of bed. When she woke up later, she cried because she missed it but there was just no dragging her out of bed after 6 hours sleep.

I LOVE DCL!!! :yay:
But one of the slight peeves I have is that only families with children get to enjoy character breakfast. What about the grown-up kids who don't have children yet??? :confused3
-Christal

ChrizJen said:
I LOVE DCL!!! :yay:
But one of the slight peeves I have is that only families with children get to enjoy character breakfast. What about the grown-up kids who don't have children yet??? :confused3
-Christal

:confused3 Everyone on board is assigned a time to attend a CB onboard.

one princess said:

Were you on the Eastern cruise? :confused3 If you were, it was immigration that was at 6:45 the morning after the Pirate Party. The only breakfast that is scheduled that early is on the last morning on the ship. The CBs are after 8 am for early seating.

GeorgiaVol said:
There are no negatives that apply to DCL more so than other cruise lines.

I politely disagree. Even fans of DCL must admit that:

- the tiny two ship size of the fleet hugely limits the range of available itineraries compared to most other major mass market lines. Want to cruise to Alaska or Hawaii on DCL? Or how about out of NYC or a Texas port? Or a even a generic seven day Caribbean cruise next summer? While NCL, Carnival, RCCL and HAL (among others) can offer you those options, DCL can't.

- The lack of a live orchestra/band in the main showroom (which is what you get on most DCL competitors) is in essence done for budget reasons, which given the large premium you pay to get aboard is almost insulting. I don't appreciate cost cutting when I'm paying top dollar.

GeorgiaVol said:
Disney is clearly at the top, both from ship material condition and service.

This hasn't been my experience. Our baclony on the Magic had rust. The ones we had on two Carnival Cruises and a Celebrity Cruise were spotless. The dining room staff on the latter line were unbelieveably good with our young children, cutting their food and bringing all sorts of little treats and gifts to them during the meal. In comparison, our servers on the Magic -- while responsive -- were not nearly as engaged or friendly.

lbgraves said:
Were you on the Eastern cruise? :confused3 If you were, it was immigration that was at 6:45 the morning after the Pirate Party. The only breakfast that is scheduled that early is on the last morning on the ship. The CBs are after 8 am for early seating.

OOHH! You are right! I was thinking of the morning of disembarkation! We missed that and the CB! LOL. I still couldn't get her out of bed for the 8:00 CB. Maybe they could add a Character BRUNCH for us late sleepers! :teeth:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter