• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The negative threads on here have me almost changing my mind.

I think I will be best leaving a long gap between stays like Lisa said.

Sometimes that's what's needed - I've felt like this about both DLP and WDW.

We left a three year gap between DLP trips - we'd been five times in three years (I know, a mere lightweight compared to some people!!) and felt we were a bit DLPed out. Not that we didn't have a great holiday each time, we just felt we'd done it to death and we needed a bit of a break. Been back twice since said break and both trips were wonderful.

Hiya Torsie, :wave:
I wouldn't count DLP out totally. It would in my mind maybe be an easier choice as it is so much closer then WDW plus there are still plenty of characters for little Aibee to meet. Only you can decide but I wouldn't be swayed too much as like you've said you know yourself its what you make it.
Hope Aibee is doing great :goodvibes

We had our first visit in march and I have to say every cm we met were lovely. My dd loved it so much I never seen her as happy and have great memories from our trip. We are planning

Clicked by accident haha we are planning to return next march hoping it will be a little warmer. Will prob take a break till 25th anniversary then. It's a lot for me to pay every year to go I only work part time but I got tax back so gonna book with the current two days offer and then after this year save up and maybe get to stay in Disneyland hotel for the 25th celebrations xxx

i think for families with younger children say up to around 8yrs old then Paris is ideal. You don't have too far to travel, the parks are plenty big enough for them to walk around and you get to see enough characters.

For me personally, i feel taking young kids to WDW can be a bit daunting. the sheer scale of the parks over there. Tons more walking. The Hotter weather makes the kids a bit more tetchy.

i work with a collegue who has taken his kids to WDW 3 times before they were 8yrs old, and you ask them about their trips there and they hardly remember anything about them.........Well whats the point in going then with young kids if they cant remember anything about their trips??! seems a total waste of money if you ask me.

my wife and i went to orlando in 2005, we decided to have one big trip before we started a family. Its big, its amazing, its magical.....etc etc but our kids are 3 and 7, far too young in our eyes. So We have just started saving for a potential 2018 trip :rolleyes1

i work with a collegue who has taken his kids to WDW 3 times before they were 8yrs old, and you ask them about their trips there and they hardly remember anything about them.........Well whats the point in going then with young kids if they cant remember anything about their trips??! seems a total waste of money if you ask me.

Hmmm. I hear this argument a lot.

(There's not a way to word the following reply which read in the wrong tone won't sound snarky - but I promise it's not)

But - little kids don't remember much in any case. So by that logic why even bother with the zoo, or park or DLRP? ;)

The truth is all the time they're very little we're going for us more than for them. I agree about the heat in WDW but I think we'll make our first trip late October/early November so hopefully it'll be not too hot. :)

It's hard as I've always wanted an EMH photo of my babies toddling/sitting on an empty Main St. This could be realised at DLRP but not at WDW as EMH is much busier and she'll be quite big when we can finally afford WDW again.

Urgh now I'm back to square one! :rotfl:

It's hard as I've always wanted an EMH photo of my babies toddling/sitting on an empty Main St. This could be realised at DLRP but not at WDW as EMH is much busier and she'll be quite big when we can finally afford WDW again.

if you want such a picture, book a character breakfast at Crystal Palace (or CRT) first thing in the morning (8am) on a non EMH day (you'll need to do it a 180+10), and you'll get main street to yourself (and photographers too)

But - little kids don't remember much in any case.

Very young kids, yes. My youngest was just two for our first trip and remembers nothing of it but the other, slightly older ones do and youngest still has quite early memories from subsequent trips. I think most children from four onwards at least will have very good memories of their park visits. We've never visited any other Disney Park so I can't compare but I do know how easy and enjoyable we found our first visit in DLP and hence why it has become part of our family way of life over the years. However I always put your argument forward when anyone asks the question, "Should we go now or wait until the children are older?" when they are talking about under threes and the planned occasion is to be a once in a lifetime trip.

(There's not a way to word the following reply which read in the wrong tone won't sound snarky - but I promise it's not)

But - little kids don't remember much in any case. So by that logic why even bother with the zoo, or park or DLRP? ;)QUOTE

i cant believe how snarky your reply was! ive never read such snarkism in all my years of being a member of this forum! snarky isnt the word for your snarky post! ;)

too me, a trip to WDW would be a once in a lifetime trip. so why take my kids who, especially my 3yr old daughter, would hardly remember a thing about it? a 2 week holiday potentially costing around £5000-£10,000?? (which would be totally fantastic dont get me wrong) and your kids wont remember a thing? all you would have would be photos and the parents memories.

i can see what u are saying about kids dont remember trips to the zoo or park but to be fair, they dont cost the earth to go to and even in Wales, i dont have to jump on a plane for 9 hours to visit a zoo :)
DLP is reasonably inexpensive compared to WDW and is nice and easy to get too.

i suppose its a 50/50 argument we have id say, but im a man and im hard so i win im afraid. (unless you are rich and can afford to go to WDW every year in that case you have nothing to worry about) :)

Im just a poor miner who gets paid £3 a week. :sad:

Haha.

I totally hear both of you. And yes DLRP is MUCH easier!

If we wait for WDW Aibee will be 3.5 so big enough to know what's going on, have favourite characters/shows etc. and maybe remember snippets here and there.

Of course I was being a little ott with the zoo/park comment. (We fed the ducks twice last weekend as she finally watches them - will she remember it? Not a chance but its a pleasure to watch her enjoy them)

Our DLRP will end up £1k is the issue. And that's a big ol' chunk of WDW money.

Maybe I need to price up SL and not DLH and see if we can make it less of a chunk.

Or I need to win the lottery!

we are taking our baby to wdw when she's 3. it will be in 2015. I am not concerned if she can remember it or not. it's a family holiday for all of us and she will have a good time while she's there.

To be honest I am not that excited about taking her dlrp. it doesn't feel like her first Disney experience to me.

lots of mums and dads here, so let me just talk about negativity on this level

we have a mother/child relationship with DLP

a child is perfect in his mother's eyes.
and if you dare say anything to question this perfection, you'll see how fierce a mother can get when she defends her offspring.

but sometimes, a very rude doctor will challenge that. Your kid needs braces, or glasses ... oh no, your child is not perfect anymore, he needs some to be "altered" in some way. You can be in denial (and I purposedely used the mild and common example of braces or glasses, but you understand that it could refer to a whole range of conditions, many DISers face with their kids, I just didn't want to get too emotionally involved here)

It doesn't change the love for your child, it doesn't change that your kid is still the most fabulous, awesome and perfect kid in the whole universe (and even beyond that)
And as a parent, you will do whatever it takes to make your kid's life easier. Because you love your child, no matter what. It's unconditionnal love, it's parents' love, and that's the most wonderful thing in the world
And no matter what your kid will do in the future, even if he gets in trouble, you'll be there, you'll defend your child, and this will always be your baby, even at 40. And you will not accept criticism when it comes to your child.

We have that same kind relationship with a Disney park. And that's why it's so difficult to accept critiscisms, even if they are backed up with proof, and that's why we always feel total bliss when we're in the park, just like even a noodle necklace your kid makes you is more valuable than pearls and diamonds. It's not bias, it's love.
But at some point, some very mean and rude guys are just pointing the finger on the fact that the child/park needs glasses.
They'll say some very silly things like "the kid can't read what's on the blackboard", or "the kid can't do his homework because he's got a headache" ... "hey, he needs glasses"

And "mothers" (to the park) say "hell no, you can't say that, my park is perfect. I love my park, how can my park need glasses when I find it perfect as it is" (if you follow the metaphor)

but when you're a parent, you accept that, and you go get the kid a pair of glasses, and it doesn't change your love for your child

the same way, a few people say "the park needs more of this" or "this should be changed", or "this has disappeared, let's worry about that and try to have it restored"
we all know the park needs this, even if we're in denial.
Accepting that the park has problems does not change our love, it does not change how we enjoy our stays

but to stay on the metaphor, you know that the longer you take to get your kid glasses, the longer your kid will suffer from headaches and from not being able to be efficient at school
And you know that if your kid needs braces, if you wait too long it will be too late to do anything about it.

we're not saying that the park does not deserve to be loved, we're saying that it's in dire need of attention.
As a parent, most of you will probably be able to relate to this and understand why negativity posts are only a cry for help, and only shows that we care for and love our parks
This does not question your own love for the park or your own experience. It's just that when you love something, accepting everything is love, but doing everything it takes to protect the "loved one" is going in the same direction.

hope this made sene, and you understand this DISer's point of view

But - little kids don't remember much in any case. So by that logic why even bother with the zoo, or park or DLRP? ;)

The truth is all the time they're very little we're going for us more than for them. I agree about the heat in WDW but I think we'll make our first trip late October/early November so hopefully it'll be not too hot. :)
:

Totally agree DD went at 23 months to WDW and she talks about it every day may be she won't remember but we will and the memories my husband and I have from that trip are some of most cherished.

We went January February and experienced lovely weather 25 c most days little humidity perfect for us.

We last took DD when she was 2.5, at the moment she talks about the trip all the time (it was just over a year ago) and she remembers a lot more than i thought she would. Each family/child is different and whilst some kids may have difficulties with the flight or weather (many dont) you can adapt plans accordingly.

If it was a "once in a lifetime trip" then yes i would have gone to DLRP instead. At the end of the day i was just so excited to see my princess experience some disney magic regardless of where it was :)

id also like to add that Centre Parcs was brilliant for my little boy! He was 5months when we went and we had an amazing week :)

We took Lucas first when he was 2 and though he's been twice since (he's 5 now) he still talks about experiences from that first trip. He does the memory of an elephant, but then life experiences are not just about what you will remember in years to come, but about living in the moment and enjoying yourself. I hardly remember any of the details of the holidays I had as a child, but I know I had fun and looking back at the photos brings back some of those memories and I'm thankful to my parents for taking me.

As for Disneyland Paris - yes it could do with some better maintenance, yes it needs some shows, yes it needs upgrades to things like Star Tours and yes you will find the occasional grumpy CM. In my experience though it's still an absolutely fantastic place to visit with lots on offer and a magical atmosphere. The 2 hours we spent in Cafe Mickey with Lucas in May will bring a smile to my face for the rest of my life. In contrast to some of the negative experiences, this is what I felt moved to write after our may trip, so impressed was I with the level of service from the CMs: An Open Letter to Disneyland Paris Cast Members. That's not looking through rose tinted glasses either - if you read my website or listen to the podcast you'll know that I'm highly critical of the resort when I feel it's necessary.

I read negative comments and even think and make them myself from time to time, but then I think back to my own experiences and not once, in 14 trips, have I ever had anything but a fantastic time. In fact I had a moment of doubt a few days ago and had decided not to take Lucas to DLP during half term in October due to the lack of Halloween entertainment planned. Then I thought back to May, and the best memories from that trip: Cafe Mickey, Dreams!, Tower of Terror for the first time, multiple POTC rides and ride photos, Lucas spinning the buggy while I try to shoot targets in Buzz, looking for treasure in Fort Comstock, catching streamers in Playhouse Disney and so many more. All those things will still be there, and in the face of dwindling entertainment which I would love to see change, there are still so many magical things to do and memories to be made.

And now I think it's lunch time! :thumbsup2

Then I thought back to May, and the best memories from that trip: Cafe Mickey, Dreams!, Tower of Terror for the first time, multiple POTC rides and ride photos, Lucas spinning the buggy while I try to soot targets in Buzz, looking for treasure in Fort Comstock, catching streamers in Playhouse Disney and so many more. All those things will still be there, and in the face of dwindling entertainment which I would love to see change, there are still so many magical things to do and memories to be made.

That's exactly how I feel - I've never been to WDW so I'm not qualified to comment on the differences between the two parks. But all I know is that DLP has given me memories like those above and for that reason I will always that it.

That's not to say I don't see the negatives, but I won't let them stop me going back to my 'happy place' as there's always magic to be found! pixiedust:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter