• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The Mummy Ride

dantin

Earning My Ears
Does anyone know when this ride will open? Thanks I can't wait to go on it!

Two dates I've heard are April 4th and April 11th. Don't make plans from my info though, it could be wrong.

what does the article say can u cut and paste it i have tried many times and the link will not open i have even tried the sun's home page
thanks
simon

Opened for me. It's kinda alot of text.

In the article, they say May for USF, and June for USH.

Notice they use the word Fun alot. See, if they talk about scaring people, they won't come. So they're smart in calling it a "fun ride."

Oh, and what are they doing claiming it's the fastest indoor roller coaster at 45mph? What about RnR, or Flight of Fear at PKI, which goes 0-60.

Well, here goes, I'll cut and paste.

SUN WORLD with LISA MINOT
FASTEN your safety belt and prepare for the fright of your life ... the Mummy of all theme park rides is on the way. This is a white-knuckle ride that will leave you white-faced, too. Think rollercoaster meets the ghost train. Throw in the odd skeleton — literally — dripping “blood” and a wall of fire and you have an idea of just a few of the thrills and spills which await those who dare visit The Revenge Of The Mummy. The 45mph indoor ride is Universal Studios’ latest blockbuster attraction in Orlando and Hollywood. It opens in late spring and, in a world exclusive, Sun World was invited to Hollywood to enter the Mummy’s tomb for a sneak preview of what lies in wait. And it’s frightening, very frightening.

As riders enter a series of chambers they are “greeted” by a sign warning: “Death will come on swift wings to those who violate the Egyptian tomb of Imhotep — the Mummy.” Thanks guys ... so what happened to “Have a nice day”? Tension mounts as the ride crawls through a series of rooms. Then, without warning, whoosh — you are plunged into darkness on the world’s fastest indoor rollercoaster. There are no loop-the-loops but there is a twist at every turn as riders are thrust forward, backward and forward again. A skeleton warrior leaps on to the side of the car. A ceiling of flame hovers inches above riders as things really hot up. It’s dark, then it’s light, as scenes flash by. And just as you think you might have survived, you’ll experience the fright of all frights.

Universal are keeping secret two of the ride’s scariest features. Curses! But designer Mark Shumater gave a clue when he told me: “We are building something that will have a truly memorable climax — the ultimate surprise. “I think people are going to be fun scared to within an inch of their lives.” Great, just an inch then Mark! Creative director John Murdy added: “This ride is a psychological thriller. Every car has its own audio system and as the tension and suspense builds the soundtrack plays a big part. And once you launch, boom! You’re off on a terror ride. We want them to get off this ride scared like they have never been scared before. “Scared out of their wits — in a fun way.”

Fun? These fellas readily admit they “get a kick out of scaring the bejesus out of ya”. Riders will spot similarities with the Mummy films. Stephen Sommers — writer and director of the movies which starred Brendan Fraser — helped design the ride. He says: “This is, in many ways, the next sequel of The Mummy.” Thousands of Brits will tackle the Mummy this summer — it is scheduled to open in Orlando by May and in Hollywood by the end of June. But the Mummy ride is just the latest masterpiece at Universal Studios, which brings the movies to life for millions of fans. Where else can you ride through Jurassic Park, see Shrek come to life on a giant 3D screen, travel through time on the Back To The Future simulator and take another quantum leap as the Terminator tackles futuristic baddies.

Don’t forget the live Spider-Man show, the Blues Brothers tribute, a special effects studio and a tour of the Universal lot — revealing many of the familiar sights and scenes from blockbuster films. This really IS where they make the movies. Adjacent to the studios is CityWalk — a mass of shops, restaurants, cinema multiplex and bars. And to top it all, you can live like a Hollywood star. On my trip with British Airways Holidays, I stayed at the four-star Roosevelt Hotel — where the first Oscars were held in 1929. The Roosevelt is opposite the Mann’s Chinese Theatre — venue for top film premieres — and right on the Hollywood Walk of Fame. Peer out of your hotel window and you can even see the Hollywood sign nestling in the hills.

Hooray for Hollywood!
JIM HOLGATE

No, the article doesn't make sense in saying that it will go 45 mi/hr but be the fastest indoor coaster. It does sound like a lot of "fun" though.:p

yeah i cant wait either, i am going 25th april-9th may so will get 2 ride it cant wait
thanx for putting that on also
:D

Originally posted by damo
No, the article doesn't make sense in saying that it will go 45 mi/hr but be the fastest indoor coaster. It does sound like a lot of "fun" though.:p

Rock N Roller coaster goes from 0 to 60 mph in the launch alone, so it isn't the fastest indoor coaster.

I cannot wait. I wonder what the surprises are?

Great article. Thanks for posting it.

The newspapers over here usually get little bits wrong... which is annoying! :rolleyes:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter