The Mummy is Great - Even Four Times in a Row - May 2016 Trip Report - Updated 5/28/16

Thanks for sharing your trip! Can't wait to read more of you and your daughter's adventures.

Looking forward to reading more! That airport line would make me cry! Glad it went smoothly after that! I keep thinking it would be awesome to take mom/daughter trip (well I have 3) lol but not sure I want to throw myself into that yet! :P

May 18 - E.T. go to Tinkli (sp?) and Diagon Alley

After the much needed lunch stop. We were ready to hit our first ride, E.T. We always go to E.T. first. I'm not exactly sure why we have this tradition, but it just seems to feel right. That said, a ride on E.T. wouldn't be a ride on E.T. without some sort of somewhat "off" situation happening either right before we get into the building to watch Spielberg's opening movie or somewhere in line. Last time we visited, we were surrounded by folks who either ate a boat load of onions before they got into line or had some significant hygiene problems. This time, it was a large multi-generational family who walked very, very slowly up to the Express pass line. Each person showed both their express pass and their park admission ticket, put both tickets back into his or her wallet or purse and then asked almost the same question, "Is this ride dark?" The Express Pass lady said "Yes, but it's not scary" each time. Each person then conferred with the people around them and proceeded. At least that was it - right? Wrong - Once the we finished the pre-show and started heading to the stand to get our "intergalactic passport", the whole thing started again with EPs and park tickets. This time, one of folks asked if the ride turned upside down. At that point, Kira and I just stared at each other :confused3 as we realized that the folks without Express Passes were already making their way to E.T's forest and we were still about 10 folks away from giving our names and getting our passports. I guess it just shows that patience is necessary - no matter where you plan to go.

Sadly, neither one of us took any pics of the ride. I think we were both just trying to make it onto the ride. We ended up riding with some of the folks from the large family. I have to say that they gave the ride more excitement than it ever had for me because there were a couple of mini screams during the first dip in the forest and when we arrived at the "home planet". I know at the end of many rides, people clap. At the end of this one, there was truly enthusiastic applause from the folks riding with us. I clapped too - because I was really ready to get off of Tinkli and head over to Diagon Alley.

Probably like most folks who visit Universal, I'm a huge Harry Potter fan. I had been waiting for a long time to get my first glimpse into Diagon. But first, I made Kira take a couple of pictures in front of the fountain and the Knight Bus.

KAB Diagon Fountain.jpg
Since it was the first day of the trip, she was still pretty cool about me taking her picture, as the trip progressed - not so much.

Knight bus 2.jpg

Our first glimpse of Diagon Alley was super exciting. Everything about the space was fantastically detailed - from the sounds of the bricks moving as you walk into the "street" to the diagonal buildings at the end of the streets.

Day 1 Diagon.jpg

We spent about 15 minutes just looking around at the shops and trying to decide what crazy toy from the Weasley shop we would buy for Terry. After we saw the dragon's fireball - we knew it was time to head to Gringotts. Coming up next - Gringotts, fatigue and butter beer don't really mix.

Playing catch up! That airport crowd looks awful. I find that when I'm at an airport I either have zero line or what feels like the world's longest line! Glad you got a terrific room.

Springfield's food court is going to be a definite for our upcoming June trip, I think! Both fish and chips and the chili dog sound so yum right now.

Great start to your trip! So sorry to hear that Terry's mom passed away but am glad you and your daughter decided to go. The Portofino looks beautiful - what a relaxing view you got!

I'm not certain how I would have reacted to that large family in front of you in line. My patience definitely gets tested when traveling especially in any long line. I had to chuckle at the post by one Dis'er about the lady opening the carton containing the sandwich and going through the sandwich with her fingers :eek: Not certain why people do things they do :faint: Can't wait to read more about your trip!

Great report so far! We will be at Portofino in 3 weeks, our first on-site stay, and I just can't wait! I'm curious about the Flaming Moe now too!

Sorry for the delay everyone! Life got a bit busy. I'm going to try to write a bit more each day of this holiday weekend. For folks with questions about the Flaming Moe. Here's a quick video.

Walking into Diagon Alley was quite an experience. Even though it was busy, it didn't feel stifling. One thing we did notice was the strong fried fish smell coming from the Leaky Cauldron. A little backstory here - Kira has been telling me since we planned this trip she absolutely DID NOT want to eat at this restaurant. She's a foodie and we regularly eat at a variety of ethnic places through out Chicago, but each time I brought up the place she would bring out her ipad to show me pictures of two of the most non-photogenic dishes of all times - the "Toad in a Hole" and "Lamb/Beef Stew". As we were exploring Diagon Alley, Kira took this picture to show me what she thought might really be on the menu at the Leaky C. - which really didn't help my argument.

Eels in Diagon Alley.jpg

I REALLY wanted to eat at Leaky Cauldron. So I took the path that many parents use to convince their teens to do something they don't want to do - a combination of guilt and bribes :smooth:. So I promised her that we could go to Cowfish and she could order whatever sushi she wanted AND I told her how much her poor, middle aged mother just wanted to eat, just once, at the Leaky Cauldron. Kira gave me a weird look and agreed. We made plans to come back for lunch on Friday or Saturday.

As we were walking to Gringotts we made detour to watch Celestina Warbeck and the Banshees. The show was really cute. The main singer really held the crowd and the back-up dancers were pretty talented as well. I would encourage everyone to take time to watch the show. It's worth the time and I love to support performers who are just trying to make us theme park goers happy. Anyway, here's our first look at the dragon at Gringotts.

Dragon Pic 1.jpg

After stowing our stuff in lockers - we were again blown away by the line queue.

Interior Gringotts 1.jpg

I know folks take lots of pics of the lobby - but even down into the caves (close to actually getting into the ride cars) is great. The camera on my phone didn't really do it justice.
Gringotts cave.jpg

The ride itself was really good. I expected it to be more intense than it was. I was more bothered by the kinda spooky Voldemort/Beatrix scenes than the physical aspects of it. Kira loved it and it was well worth the 20 minute wait and long walk through to get to the ride. We made plans to ride it again later in the trip to see if we missed anything. Coming up next - Butterbeer - frozen or straight?

Last edited:
You had me at "I feel fancy." Love this. <3 I'm doing a Mom/son vacation next year. Can't wait! Looking forward to reading more!

Loving this doing just me and kids trip later this summer so enjoying your spin on things

Fabulous update!!

Yes, pictures don't always do these things justice.......but nice pics all the same......

so excited reading your review!!! this is like coming on a fun adventure! It looks like you had a really wonderful time!

Hi Everyone,

Thanks so much for the great feedback! I'm sorry that I have been back to update this trip report. I've been crazy busy at work and with some personal stuff going on. I promise add an update tomorrow.

i forgot to ask you this earlier, but how was the hot dog?
was it a dog like you would get at Flukys?

i find in the south many places put coleslaw on top of the meat sandwiches.
or they do around where i am

Loving this trip report. You have a beautiful family! My daughter and I frequently do mom/daughter trips as my husband, like yours, doesn't really like rides. My kiddo's a bit older (23) but some of our best memories are from those trips! Can't wait to hear more!!

Throwing in a pic of me and my daughter to share the mother/daughter trip love! <3 :)

a Universal 2014 Day One.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter