• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The MR Halloween & Sweet Sixteen Trip Report! Finished 9/3~ See Ya Real Soon!

Schmoopsie Poo!

I will ride, I will fly, chase the wind and touch
Greetings DisBoards! :goodvibes

After a several-month hiatus, we are back with a (perhaps) long-awaited TR from our October '11 trip on the Wonder! Oh, come on... don't give us that look! Like you've never procrastinated before! :rolleyes:

IMG_1114.jpg

We'll be around during the next couple weeks with a few updates and LOTS of pictures... :thumbsup2 especially food-related ones... ;)

Good to be back! Hope you can join us!

Well, thanks to all of you who are along for the ride, er, the sail, I mean.

So I'll introduce the fam. Now, I typically don't like to share too many personal details on the world-wide web, but I'll try to give you an idea what we're all about! *takes deep breath* We're:

DH: :rolleyes2All around great guy (if somewhat less Disney-enthused than the rest of us!) Puts up with our craziness as best he can (and that's saying something!)

Me: :wave2:Total Disney enthusiast... After 12 years, I actually left the comfort of being a stay at home mom to work for Disney... yes, I'm a castmember at a Disney store! Looovvveee it! It's my dream job, and I'm reminded every time I go to work just how fortunate I am. There's rarely a day that goes by when someone doesn't ask about an application to work there. When the store opened, I actually got to introduce Mickey and Goofy to the throngs of people assembled for the huge grand opening and "entertain" the crowd with trivia and contests for a couple of hours as they stood in line to get their pictures taken with Mickey and Goofy:mic: (can't believe I finally got to use that smilie!). Truly one of the Best.Days.Ever. IF I had a bucket list, this would have been way up there on it :cool1:! And let me just say this: Disney loves and values all of their guests so much (this means YOU!) They truly want everyone's experience to be magical! It's an amazing place to work, my castmates are awesome, and I couldn't be happier to go there each and every time. You know that saying about finding what you would do for free and find a way to make a living at it? Well, you do the math, cuz I'm there (but the paycheck does come in handy...) Okay, I'll stop the ridiculous gushing. You can probably guess how excited I am to be cruising once again!

DD: princess:Sweetest, kindest, loveliest teenager ever (okay, I may be a BIT biased:rotfl:. We celebrated her 'Sweet 16' on the ship, and I'm pretty sure it will be a top three memory of her childhood! She still loves Disney, and hopes to participate in the Disney College Program and/or work a contract on a Disney ship when she graduates college. Truly my inspiration...

DS: :joker:Our little man...six years old. (Yes, there's a bit of a gap between our kiddos, but we love how it's turned out, i.e., built in babysitter:cheer2: but I digress...) Our boy also loves all things Disney. Has a sweet spirit, but is all boy, too. He keeps all of us on our toes!

So, there you have it! We have lot of pictures to share... if there was a character appearance, we were there (creepers:blush:)! Also, Halloween festivities (all the characters in their Halloween costumes!) and a surprise visit by the 'dark side of the universe' (*insert heavy breathing here*), a sweet 16 birthday celebration, my formal dress that totally blended in with the formal night backdrop (good times:confused3), FOOD... lots and lots of food! Hope you'll enjoy our walk down memory 'deck!' We'd love your feedback (I know, I know, cut back on the smilie-usage!) and questions, too!

So I'm going to go look for picture to post to whet your appetite... *minutes passing......*

I'm baaaccckkk!

And so it begins...
CIMG0121-1.jpg

When you're first in line (yeah, we're food creepers, too!), you get the best food pix!
IMG_1853.jpg

Señor Donald and friends:
IMG_1740.jpg

I'm in, too! We are thinking of celebrating our DD's Sweet Sixteen this November on the Wonder, so I am super excited to hear all the details.

-Emily

I'm in, too! We are thinking of celebrating our DD's Sweet Sixteen this November on the Wonder, so I am super excited to hear all the details.

-Emily

Yay! Do it! You won't regret it... She will be a princess for a day, and remember it forever. I bought her a really cute sparkly -but grownup- crown from Joann, Etc. (in their wedding department for about $12.50 with a 50% off coupon) kind of like this one (metal, not plastic!):
tiara.jpg

and she wore it all day long so everyone knew it was her special day! We'll be sharing the pictures as we continue our retrospective, so check back with us! (after you book that cruise!) :smickey:

I've decided to go heavy on pictures, light on words due to time constraints (and lack of creativity) at least today... So, here goes!

Day One: The adventure begins... We managed to push and shove our way (not really!) on the boat right after all the VIPs boarded and headed straight for the buffet at Parrot Cay:

Mama's plate (full of food, calories and so much anticipation!)

IMG_1134.jpg

Strawberry Soup (a high-on-the-priorities-list delicacy! Think melted ice cream... but better!)
IMG_1136.jpg

DH decided to start off 'healthy'... it's always been a dream of his not to overindulge on the cruises (he's even seen the inside of the workout room on the boat:confused3... but his healthy eating dream would not come true on this trip *slightly evil laugh*;)!)
IMG_1137.jpg

My first run (of so very many) at desserts (it looks small, but remember I'm just getting started!):
IMG_1143.jpg

DD and I exploring until that glorious moment when our luggage arrives at our stateroom!
IMG_1161.jpg

Sail away festivities:
IMG_1180.jpg

At dinner, we meet our servers for the week, Budhi and Sasha. Sasha and his fresh pepper grinder would become our nightly ritual/photo op.:lmao:
IMG_1209.jpg

DD and me with our best "How-soon-before-the food-arrives smiles?..."
IMG_1191.jpg

Shrimp cocktail appetizer!
IMG_1197.jpg

Beef (tenderloin)! My motto: Beef... order it any and every way they serve it!
IMG_1205.jpg

DD gets sea bass on risotto...
IMG_1207.jpg

Desserts! (Sorry about the blue tint... my camera wasn't cooperating when they turned the lights down.) We get the sampler (as a dessert appetizer, then order a full size of our favorite... it's not as embarrassing as you might think... after the first few times:rotfl:)This one is chocolate mousse....

IMG_1211.jpg

And, this one is Grand Marnier souffle...
IMG_1213.jpg

This is the sampler which was creme brulee, chocolate mousse and something called a 'praline petite choux' for those of you with some culture:thumbsup2!
IMG_1214.jpg

Hope you'll check back later today for the exciting details wherein I demonstrate what not to wear on Golden Mickeys Night!:rotfl2:

Highlights of our first full day on the Wonder... (once again short on words, long on pictures!)

Exploring:
Port Adventures Desk as Rarely Seen (Empty:confused3!)

IMG_1240.jpg

Outside Studio Sea, Golden Mickey Shines in Preparation for the Evening Festivities:
IMG_1244.jpg

Inside Studio Sea, A Photo-Op for DD and Her Favorite TV Detective:
IMG_1253.jpg

Also Inside Studio Sea, DS Demonstrates His Walk Like An Egyptian Prowess...
IMG_1255.jpg

Some Kind Stranger Offered To Take Our Picture, So We Surrounded This Helpless Flower Display and Smiled!
IMG_1258.jpg

DS Pretending He's in Disney Jail...
IMG_1259.jpg

The High Point of Breakfast... BACON... Lots and Lots of Bacon!
IMG_1268.jpg

If you look closely, Dolphins are excited to see the Wonder, too!
IMG_1279.jpg

Lunch treat...
IMG_1288.jpg

Time for Dinner with Sasha and His Pepper Grinder...:hyper:
IMG_1315.jpg

The Three Phases of Day One Fatigue:
One: The Eye Rub...

IMG_1321.jpg

Phase Two: The Unrestrained Yawn
IMG_1322.jpg

Phase Three: Surrender!
IMG_1324.jpg

And, finally as promised earlier, What Not To Wear on Golden Mickeys Night, etc...

The Dress seemed harmless enough here...

IMG_1332.jpg

BUT, when you put it up against the wallpaper background, it seems to evaporate! I look like a floating head and arms:lmao:
IMG_1328.jpg

And again!
IMG_1344.jpg

Oh well, live and learn:blush:

As Day 3 dawned... we were in pure bliss! This was the day when our happiness peaked! We hadn't yet reached the halfway point, but we'd gotten two days of food under our belts (quite literally!) and we were just getting settled in... This was the morning of our character breakfast, so we all trooped down to Parrot Cay to smile pretty, eat big*, and get fitted for our napkin hats.
*This also happened to be the morning, for DH and me, of Palo brunch, so we didn't eat too much off the Mickey's Island Jam menu, saving up for the deliciousness to come... ;)

Here are our pics!

IMG_1357.jpg

IMG_1358.jpg

IMG_1367.jpg

IMG_1376.jpg

IMG_1377.jpg

(DH had to run off to some fantastic adventure, so it was just the three of us with Minnie and Dale...)

Time for Palo's wonderful brunch! (Sorry... I couldn't resist! :laughing:) These are my favorite of the no-less-than 32 pictures I took!

IMG_1387.jpg

IMG_1391.jpg

IMG_1393.jpg

IMG_1396.jpg

IMG_1397.jpg

I LOVE me some of those pastries...

IMG_1399.jpg

Of course, everyone does, but I highly recommend the grape and gorgonzola pizza! We tried to "replicate" or at least imitate it at home, but it paled in comparison, of course... :sad2:

IMG_1400.jpg

IMG_1405.jpg

I wished DD could have come with me to brunch, and I joked with her that if she had been there, I would have dared her to eat one of those long breadsticks. I'm sure they're delicious! But I wasn't quite brave enough to take one... :rotfl:

IMG_1415.jpg

IMG_1416.jpg

Delish desserts! I especially love the chocolate on top of the tiramisu! DCL sure can make food beautiful AND tasty! :thumbsup2

More to come soon...

Any chance I could entice you to come back and post some more of your trip? We're off on the last MR cruise the Wonder will be doing for the foreseeable future, and I'm drooling over all the trip reports - which, for the MR, are not very many...:sad2:

Love your pictures and humor - and I'm totally a dessert person, too!

Any chance I could entice you to come back and post some more of your trip? We're off on the last MR cruise the Wonder will be doing for the foreseeable future, and I'm drooling over all the trip reports - which, for the MR, are not very many...:sad2:

Love your pictures and humor - and I'm totally a dessert person, too!

You can absolutely entice us to come back! :) (This is DD, typing on behalf of my DM, but I can speak with confidence, considering that she's been itching to do some TR-ing lately...) We would love to share with you! We loved both of our 2011 MR trips, and we love sharing them! We'll have some new pics up ASAP! Thanks for responding! :goodvibes

When last we left our gallant heroes, they were still in Palo shock (a common condition in which one is unable to stop smiling due to what they have just experienced from said restaurant). DH went off to relax at the Rainforest, while DD and I met up to relax in our own way: a hot but beautiful afternoon by the pool with a few of our favorite characters...

Donald:
CIMG0282.jpg

And Stitch! There was hardly any line at all for either of them, especially Stitch! So we got to play around with him for a few minutes... and boy was he hamming it up! Silly little alien... :rolleyes:

CIMG0285.jpg

(In that one, he was grabbing the squirt bottle from the ladies at the hair braiding station, and spraying it around at us.)

CIMG0294-1.jpg

CIMG0290.jpg

CIMG0295.jpg

CIMG0296.jpg

After we had our fill of the sun, we headed back to the room for naps all around, and dinner prep. DD and DS were ready a few minutes early, so they headed out to catch their favorite little wooden head...
CIMG0298.jpg

They spent a little brother-sister time strolling around on Deck 4, and THEN when they came inside, they found Ariel with no line at all!

CIMG0306.jpg

We all met up for some good eats at Animator's Palate!

Shrimp and Onion Cheesecake:
IMG_1446.jpg

Mushroom risotto: (After 3 trips in the past 18 months, this still remains one of our absolute favorite dishes!)
CIMG0318.jpg

Beef Tenderloin: (Top notch. Nuff said...)
IMG_1461.jpg

Chicken breast:
CIMG0324.jpg

And, of course, the REAL reason we were all even there... ;)

IMG_1473.jpg

(I don't remember what that dessert was! :blush: I'm thinking it was one of the sugar-free because it doesn't resemble any of the... well, sugared desserts on the menu...)

Spectacular strawberry sable:
IMG_1474.jpg

Chocolate cake: (Need I say more?)
IMG_1475.jpg

Now, believe it or not we CAN also take pictures of human beings too! We got some good server pics tonight.

Sasha's pepper grinder again:
IMG_1462.jpg

And Budhi before...
IMG_1452.jpg

...and after the show!
IMG_1476.jpg

As we waited for our food to digest, the kids enjoyed a little bit of after-dinner dancing!
IMG_1479.jpg

IMG_1480.jpg

For our final event of the evening, we trekked up to Studio Sea for Who Wants to Be a Mousketeer? (Because DD sure did!) We weren't sure how the contestant picking would go, but they gave us a number as we entered and told us that the louder we were, the more likely we were to get picked... (I'm still doubtful of how that worked, since the drawing seemed pretty random to me...) But, just to be on the safe side, DD screamed and yelled as loud as she could... and her number got picked! So, giddy with excitement, she took her seat across from Deano to answer her questions. She got the first four relatively easily (I tell her often how in awe of her Disney knowledge I am :worship:) but the fifth one was a tricky tie between two choices. (If I remember correctly, it asked which was the first Disney film to star big-name actors: 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, or the Parent Trap? Do YOU know the answer, DISers?) She had all of her lifelines left, and she asked the audience (who steered her unwisely!!) and "phoned" her DM (me!) to help her (I steered her in the other direction...). She told Deano, "I'm thinking that Mother Knows Best... so I'm gonna go with 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea!" And what do you know? Mother Gothel DID know something! (When she said that mother knows best... you didn't think I was calling myself that, now did you??) And with that, DD was crowned a Mousketeer! She received a magnetic trophy and a special edition pin, too! I tried to get a memorial pic, but the lighting was tough to navigate...

IMG_1490.jpg

Another marvelous day complete, we headed to our room for a good night of sleep...

Coming up next: Halloween~ Disney style!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter