• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The movie "Up"....2D or 3D?

EMom

Comes from a long line of all fork ...
DD wants to see the movie "Up." It's showing in 2D and 3D. I'm tired of paying for 3D. :rotfl: Is the 3D version worth it or is 2D just fine?

Personally, the 3D craze really annoys me. When they have to write a story to include 3D effects the art of film making is lost. That being said I have heard that it can be a pretty cool effect. If I were to ever see a movie in 3D it would be a Pixar movie

Thanks for the feedback. Anyone else????? :confused3

We just saw it in 3D and I think it was worth it. My 3 grandsons loved it, however the youngest age 4 did not keep his glasses on. The other two, 5 & 7 did keep them on so it depends on the age of your DD. That being said, the price is outrageous we used coupons from the Entertainment book.

I just saw it today in 2D. It was great. I can't do 3D. It tends to make me nauseous. I think you will enjoy the movie in 2D.

UP was first written and conceived as a 2D feature.

They decided on the 3D after-the-fact, so there is no 3D craziness in it of people throwing things, etc. (And plus, that's just silly to so that, unless you are talking Monsters vs. Aliens when they did it as a friggin' joke.)

It is artistically gorgeous in 3D, however. It has depth and some of the scenes really bring you directly INTO the story line.

But, the movie is perfect in 2D.

There are some reports of people thinking the 3D is darker because of the glasses. I didn't notice this but if you are sensitive to light, this may effect you.

So, in my opinion, GO SEE IT! I'd prefer you see it in 3D, but if the cost is an issue, you're only losing a bit of artistry in seeing it in 2D and it won't change the movie at all.

PS-DISCLOSER: I am a huge Pete Docter fan. :thumbsup2

I've only seen it in 2-D (and it is fantastic!), but I've read some reviews that feel the colors are more vibrant in 2-D, and a bit washed out in 3-D.

My middle son doesn't like 3D. Even in WDW, he won't wear the glasses. So, seeing anything in 3D isn't worth it.
We saw the 2D version yesterday and really liked it. The 3D craze bothers me as well. I was thrilled that UP was in both varieties.

There are some reports of people thinking the 3D is darker because of the glasses. I didn't notice this but if you are sensitive to light, this may effect you.

I saw Bolt in 3-D, and I thought it seemed really dim. I won't be seeing UP in 3-D. It is fine at the parks for a brief show (Muppets, Philharmagic, etc), but I find the 3-D and the glasses themselves too distracting to enjoy it for longer things.

We saw it in 3D, and it isn't the same kind of 3D like at WDW. Like someone earlier said it was written for 2D, so there aren't any things bursting out of the screen at you. I didn't really get why we even had to wear the 3D glasses. I just didn't really notice a 3D effect. But my DH said he did. Personally, I say see it in 2D.

I have to agree. 3D just wasn't worth the extra money. There's nothing special to it. Don't get me wrong, we loved, loved, loved the movie, but I think 2D would have been just fine. :thumbsup2

I did notice the colors were a bit muted, also! :confused3

I saw it in 3D and loved it but that was just because it was a beautiful movie. There are no effects that would make the movie less in 2D so save the money. The characters and the story are strong.

I think the muted colors worked for the darker tone of the movie, but that's just me. I say TOTALLY see it in 3D. I've always loved 3D!

I'm one who posted a big gripe about feeling the 3D was dim and murky. (Disclaimer: I wear regular glasses, and have a hard time getting the 3D glasses to fit comfortably over them.) Up in 2D is vivid and crisp and gorgeous, and I found it easier to get immersed in the wonderful story and characters without the clumsy glasses and technical distractions of the 3D.

Thanks for all the feedback! DD has to wear glasses at the movies, so she wears the big 3D glasses over her regular glasses. It's not comfortable and she looks like Fearless Fly. :rotfl2: One theatre is showing both 2D and 3D and a second theatre is showing only 2D, so I think I'll haul her to the "2D only" theatre so there won't even be a choice. Besides, I like that theatre better. It shows more art house films/fewer blockbusters, so less kids tend to go there.

You were a big help! :thumbsup2

I have to agree. 3D just wasn't worth the extra money. There's nothing special to it. Don't get me wrong, we loved, loved, loved the movie, but I think 2D would have been just fine. :thumbsup2

I did notice the colors were a bit muted, also! :confused3

20% of the color is lost when seen in 3D

I've already given my 3d review in another thread but my vote is for 2d

(unless you want to see a cool 45 second trailer for Ice Age 3. It's cool in 3d. Up though... hardly any effects at all)

Honestly, I saw it in 3D and really didn't think about that fact for most of the movie...I think I would have been just as happy watching it in 2D

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter